Chapter 122 – Honeyed Words
173 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 122 - Honeyed Words

The conversation was interrupted briefly as the attendant presented Yuzu with the sweet chrysanthenum tea that she had asked for.

“Char Char and I don’t get along,” Victoria said, “But I actually came specifically to show something to her tonight. I thought since you seem to know her well you could pass her a message for me.”

“Tell her yourself.” Yuzu said dismissively as sipped at her tea. She turned away from the girls, making a motion to leave the room.

With a glance from Victoria the four girls quickly moved to form a circle around Yuzu, blocking her way.

“Look, I’m not asking you for a lot. I don’t see what’s so difficult.” Victoria said arrogantly, “Honestly, if this wasn’t important I wouldn’t bother, but she’s more knowledgeable than us in this topic. Just tell her that you want her to go to the Shu’s dressing room, okay? And don’t tell her I asked you.”

“For the last time, no!” Yuzu was seriously getting annoyed as she tried to step past the girls. She once again had to stop as they stepped in front of her.

She was nearly about to rip their threads away when Victoria suddenly sighed.

“Alright, alright.” Victoria stepped aside, “No need to get violent.”

What violence? Yuzu grumbled inwardly.

She caught the smirk on Victoria’s too late as she sent a wordless signal to her friend.

“Ow!” The tall, slim Diana suddenly fell to the ground in an overdramatic motion. It was so comically over-acted that Yuzu simply stared at the girl in confusion for a moment.

“You didn’t have to push her!” The short girl next to her said loudly.

The conversations around the room suddenly hushed as everyone’s attention was drawn towards their group. Yuzu quickly understood what was happening and remained calm.

“I didn’t touch her.” Yuzu glared at the short girl, causing her to shut her mouth and instinctively take a step back.

“What’s going on?” A moustached man approached with a concerned look on his face.

“N-nothing.” Victoria stammered as she stepped forward to assert her leadership of the group. She was blushing as if from embarrassment, “We just had a small accident, sir.”

Yuzu’s lips formed a thin line as she realized that the posh girl was playing her. It was almost impressive how she flickered her eyes nervously towards Yuzu, pausing for just the right amount of time between words, giving off subtle micro expressions to relay her story to the observers around them.

Yuzu was at fault, but I’m trying to cover up for her to save her from embarrassment.

Not only did she look like a gracious, refined lady, but she was also vilifying Yuzu in front of everyone. At the same time she was sending a message to Yuzu - You might look a little bad right now, but if you don’t do what I say, I’ll make you look a hundred times worse in front of everyone.

These stupid politics and rich people manners were exactly why Yuzu hated going to events with Char Char.

The moustached man gently helped Diana back to her feet, asking her if she was okay. The slim girl continued her exaggerated acting as she tried to appear somewhat shaken from the fall.

“Oh, yes, I’m quite alright. Thank you.” She smiled sweetly at the man.

“Victoria my dear, is everything okay?” A portly man with shaved grey hair emerged from the crowd. He walked with a slight swagger as he held a wine glass in his hand.

“Yes, daddy.” Victoria smiled, curtsying politely to her father.

“Very good, very good. I just wanted to check on you to make sure nothing has troubled you, my sweet.”

“No, daddy.” Victoria’s tone was sweet as honey.

Though Yuzu was not particularly knowledgeable about politics, she knew that Victoria’s last name was Shum. From the name and the way the crowd showed their respect to the man it wasn’t difficult for Yuzu to determine that Victoria’s father was Earl Shum. This man was known for two main things - First, he was one of the most influential politicians in the city. Second, he was a buffoon whose political power was wasted on him.

“Thank you for your concern everyone, we’re quite alright.” Victoria smiled, looking around before settling her attention on Yuzu, “It was just a misunderstanding, right Yuzu?”

“Of course.” All eyes turned to Yuzu as she nodded, “Next time try not to trip over your dress, Diana.”

This time Diana found herself in the spotlight as her face flushed red. “I- I didn’t-“

“Oh hoh hoh.” Earl Shum chuckled, his eyes glinting as he seemed to come to an understanding of the situation, “Those dresses are beautiful, but they must be quite a handful, aren’t they Miss Mercier? Well! No harm, no foul! Let’s carry on with the festivities! And Miss Mercier, if your family needs a good tailor, I can definitely provide my recommendations.”

It was like a dagger had been stabbed into Diana’s heart. Not only had Earl Shum unwittingly supported Yuzu’s story, but her fancy dress tailored specifically for this ball had been completely insulted.

Yuzu’s lips curved upwards slightly as she maintained a calm expression. The crowd had on amused smiles as they started to disperse, whispering amongst each other. Diana nodded helplessly at Earl Shum’s words as she lowered her head to hide her face. Even Victoria could only stand with her mouth agape as she failed to come up with a way to salvage the situation.

Yuzu was ready to take her leave, but she decided to make one last quip, ensuring that Earl Shum was still around to hear it. “Ah, Victoria. I’ll take your request into consideration, I’ll tell you my answer later.”

Earl Shum’s eyebrows raised in curiousity as he looked at Victoria, “Oh? What request is that?”

“N-nothing, daddy.” Victoria’s smile was strained as she shook her hands to emphasize her words.

“I don’t recognize your friend, Victoria, though if you’re making requests of her perhaps I should make her acquaintance.” Earl Shum turned to Yuzu with a congenial smile.

“My name is Yuzu Xing, sir.” Yuzu curtsied politely.

“Xing, is it?” The Earl had a contemplative look as he tried to recall if he knew the name.

“Don’t worry about it daddy, it’s nothing important.” Victoria gave a gentle push on Earl Shum’s shoulder, “You should probably get back to your business partners.”

“Ah, but can’t I spend time with my sweet Vicky?” Earl Shum chuckled, eyeing his daughter warmly. “Alright, I’ll take my leave. Have a lovely night, girls.”

He gave Victoria’s hand a gentle squeeze before he walked off towards the ballroom.

“Now Yuzu-“ Victoria sighed as she turned back towards the girls. She looked around but Yuzu was nowhere in sight. “Where did she go?”

“Ah, she took off.” The short girl blinked in surprise. “I didn’t even notice.”

Victoria clenched her teeth as she held back an unrefined expression.

“It’s not over, Yuzu!”

~

Yuzu walked as quickly as she could walk without garnering attention, heading out of the refreshment room towards the balconies overlooking the ballroom.

She had a scowl on her face as she held the strings of the four girls in her hand. At some point during their conversation the four golden threads had tangled themselves onto Yuzu’s white thread. Through quick thinking Yuzu had managed to slip away from the girls, but evidently this wasn’t the last that she’d see of them tonight.

A crowd had already begun to gather on the balconies as attendants on the ballroom floor had begun to clear out the floor to prepare it for dancing. The music had stopped temporarily as the musicians took their place and arranged their music.

The master of the house was an older man with white hair and a refined, sharp haircut. He had on a black tuxedo with a puffed white shirt and double coat tails. He was currently calling out instructions to the crowds, inviting couples onto the floor and directing them to their initial spots for the first song.

Yuzu found a shaded spot on the balcony next to a pillar and leaned against the rail as she examined the strings in her hand.

Though she wanted nothing more than to pull them off of her and be done with the girls for the night, every time she started to pull at them her spiritual intuition gave her a warning.

Yuzu frowned. She didn’t know what the danger was but she was not in a rush to find out. For now she could only let the strings remain attached to her. Fortunately, I can still read the future... Perhaps I can just pay attention to them throughout the night and avoid the girls that way.

With this plan in mind Yuzu scanned the ballroom floor, trying to pick out Char Char. It wasn’t long before she spotted her friend. She was on the ballroom floor, though she was at the edge of the room, not taking part in the initial dance. She was currently talking to a slender, serious looking woman wearing a pair of glasses with delicate frames.

Yuzu tapped into their strings from across the room, able to hear their conversation as if she were standing right next to them.

“Mrs. Fang, how are you tonight?” Char Char greeted the older lady with a polite curtsey.

Upon hearing her name, Yuzu recognized her as Lily Fang, the assistant to the Minister of Finance and the wife of Police Chief Fang. Yuzu had first met Mrs. Fang a few days ago at Sansen Zhao’s dinner. The serious woman had insisted on getting Edwin the monk to file a missing person’s report with her husband.

Though who needs the police when the White Maiden’s on the case! I was the one who reunited them in the end. Yuzu thought smugly as she listened in.

“I am doing well, Miss Zhao.”

“You seem a little frustrated, though.” Char Char said in a friendly manner.

“Do I? Perhaps I am.” Lily Fang sighed, “I suppose I’m just wondering where my workaholic husband is. The dancing is about to begin but he still hasn’t shown up.”

9