Chapter 140 – Doomed from the Start
193 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 140 - Doomed from the Start

Outside the manor Sansen Zhao stood calmly at the top of the staircase as a procession of guests slowly made their way out into the night air.

“Yes, yes, there was a gas leak in the dressing rooms. Thank Lord Noga, no one was hurt.” He smiled at an elder guest.

“Ah, then that horrible roar - it must have been due to gas rushing through the pipes.” The gray bearded man stroked his beard as his eyes twinkled in understanding, “What a shame, the party was only just getting started.”

“Safety is paramount, dear.” His wife beside him said, “I heard that it was the Shu’s dressing room that exploded. I heard that the girls had only been in the room moments before!”

“We shall be off, then, Sansen. A shame about the party.” The man tipped his hat.

“Goodnight, Mr. Fallow. Goodnight, Mrs. Fallow. Have a safe journey home.”

The couple continued to chat amongst themselves as they descended the steps down to a line of waiting carriages.

Rumours were already spreading, but thankfully they had been capably managed by Sansen’s guards and staff. A gas leak was one of the common explanations given to civilians in these kinds of cases. Sansen always found it amusing how readily people accepted the explanation, while also not questioning the safety of having combustible gases flowing nearly everywhere in modern buildings. Then again, he too had been one of the ignorant masses, long ago.

The girls and other guests in the area had been detained and questioned. Following that they were given a drink to calm their nerves. This drink had a special property of muddling the memories of the past few hours. Thus, the supernatural nature of the incident was swept under the rug.

At present, the portly Earl Shum ambled out into the night air followed by his wife and daughter. He had a serious look on his face as he greeted Sansen. They had already discussed the matter in private, as soon as the monk had left and the monster had been taken care of. The Earl was one of the few non Exalted at the party that had been given an accurate retelling of the incident.

The Earl motioned for Sansen to talk to him in private and they wandered off a few paces to a small balcony with benches and flowers that overlooked the road.

“It’s wrapped up, then?” The Earl asked, “Have your guards found anything?”

“The attacker escaped without leaving behind many clues. We don’t yet know what he was aiming to accomplish tonight. As for the eggs your daughter and her friends brought in, they apparently found them while riding horses at the Shu’s estate. The police have been called to investigate the lands in case there are more dangers about.”

“The girls aren’t to blame, I’m sure that those eggs were planted by that... that wretch!” The Earl’s face darkened as he clenched his fists, “It’s obvious. Hiding in the Shu’s dressing room, attacking my daughter. This was an attack on me and my family. An evil ploy hatched to disrupt the governance of the city!”

“I apologize. I should have asked my guards to be more vigilant.” Sansen Zhao sighed.

“No, no. I don’t blame you. After all, the eggs were smuggled in with the Shu’s private belongings. In a sense it was their mistake.” Earl Shum shook his head, “I am only glad that no one was seriously injured. As for the damages your manor, I will find a way to find some compensation for you.”

“We can discuss that at a later time, there’s no rush.” Sansen nodded.

“Well, I shall be off. I have a feeling that things will be even more hectic as the festival approaches.” Earl Shum sighed.

The two men headed back to the top of the staircase where Mrs. Shum and Victoria were waiting patiently. Victoria was in a daze, staring down at the floor with a worried look in her unfocused eyes. It was quite a drastic change from the confident and bright personality that she had arrived with.

“Take care tonight, I will send a courier your way if I hear any developments.” Sansen said, smiling warmly at the family.

“Goodnight, Mr. Zhao.” Mrs. Shum said.

“Goodnight, uncle.” Victoria clung to her mother’s arm as they made their way down the stairs.

~

After all the guests had left Sansen made his way back to the blue room.

Following behind him was Chloe, his personal maid. Earlier in the evening she had stood outside while he met with Chief Fang and Robin. This time Chloe entered the room with him as a precaution, taking a spot in the corner that was out of the way yet still close at hand.

There was already one person waiting in the room for Sansen’s arrival. This older man with a stocky build and thick glasses was pouring himself a cup of tea. He was dressed in a house robe and night cap, looking like he was just about ready to tuck himself into bed. He nodded at Sansen,

“Evening, Sansen. Care for a cup?”

“I’m quite alright, Baolan.” Sansen replied, “You recently arrived...?”

“A woman named Robin appeared in my home.” Dr. Baolan sighed, “Just as I was preparing for bed. Do you know how rare it is for me to have an early night?”

“Where is she now?” Sansen looked around, not seeing anyone else in the room.

“I wouldn’t know. She disappeared without a word after dropping me off.” Baolan shrugged. He carried a grumpy expression, but he was only complaining in jest. His eyes narrowed for a moment as he examined Sansen carefully, “Is something going on in the mansion? Something feels off tonight.”

“It’s been handled.” Sansen replied, “There was-“

His explanation was interrupted as a rift formed in the air. Out stepped the blue haired Robin Lang dressed in a men’s suit. She was followed shortly by a young lady with light blonde hair.

This young lady had a scholarly air about her. She had on a long, robe-like olive green coat on top of a tailored white blouse, a dark pleated skirt, grey leggings and knee high leather boots. Calm, green eyes looked out from under long eyelashes. Her eyelids were half closed and her expression relaxed, giving the impression that she was half-asleep as she scanned the room that she had just entered.

“Ah, it’s been a while.” She said with a cautious tone as she laid her eyes on Sansen Zhao.

“Quill, good evening.” Sansen replied with a warm smile. “I’m surprised to see you here. I thought it would take a bit of effort to find you.”

“It should have. Clearly I wasn’t careful enough.” Quill said, “I’m actually quite curious just how you found me.”

“The resources that I expended to locate you were considerable, but necessary.” Robin replied plainly. “With Chief Fang’s disappearance, time is of the essence. The methods I used to bring you here are irrelevant.”

“Are they, now?” Quill muttured, looking somewhat annoyed, but she dropped the topic, looking at Dr. Baolan in his robe and night hat, “I see Robin was just as considerate to you when she brought you here.”

“Yes, well I understand that the matter was urgent...” Baolan shrugged, “Regardless, I am relieved that you are here. Markus Gantt is back in Noga.”

“I am aware. I’ve been laying low and out of sight.” Quill said casually, “It’s been years. What could he be after now?”

“We don’t know... But Gantt has already made his first moves.” Baolan said, stroking his white goatee with a frown. “It’s not looking good.”

“Yang is dead, Jintang is missing.” Sansen said darkly, “Tonight’s attack on my manor... must also be Gantt’s doing.”

“He attacked you? Earlier tonight?” Quill’s eyes narrowed.

“Yes.” Sansen nodded, and quickly summarized the events as he knew them - The eggs brought in by the girls, the lizard monster which was taken care of by his assistant, the blood monk that escaped into the night.

“This seems a bit clumsy for Gantt. And we don’t yet know what happened to Jintang. Perhaps it’s only coincidence.” Baolan said hopefully.

“When Gantt is involved, coincidence is often our first and only warning. It’s safer to assume that there is a target on each one of our heads.” Quill replied after some thought, sighing heavily, “Well, after failing to take him out back then, there was always the risk that he’d be back for revenge.”

“So what is our plan? You said Jintang was missing?” Quill looked at Baolan and Sansen in turn.

“We only know that he went looking for Locke before his disappearance. We have an address, but he also told us to find two boys that he introduced to Locke, to increase the chances of finding him.” Sansen said.

“I feel sorry for those boys.” Quill frowned, “Where are they now?”

“According to Jintang, they are both likely at home.” Sansen replied. “I thought Robin would find them next after picking up Baolan, but it appears she prioritized finding you.”

“Yes, I took the opportunity while you were busy with the disturbance earlier on.” Robin replied. “I couldn’t locate Finn Mackenzie, but I did find Zwei Xing in his home. The mind bloom petal turned black upon contacting his skin. Upon observing this I immediately left the area, per your instructions.”

“What?” A shocked look appeared on Sansen and Baolan’s faces.

“If the petal reacted that way, he must be mentally infected.” Quill said.

“Zwei and Finn were both under Locke’s supervision. If they’re infected, does that mean Gantt has already gotten to Locke?” Sansen asked quietly, “But Locke has the strongest defence against Gantt out of all of us. I can’t believe that to be the case.”

“If he’s gotten to Locke, then he will have Jintang now as well.” Baolan’s voice trembled, “We just found out about his arrival and we are already doomed!”

“That really would be the worst case scenario.” Quill frowned “But we can’t jump to conclusions.“

Her sleepy expression sharpened as she looked at Robin, “Take me to the boy. I’ll confirm his condition myself.”

11