Chapter 158 – Deja Vu
158 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 158 - Deja Vu

Zwei walked down the rocky path, keeping an eye on his mud-splattered twelve year old sister as she led the way far ahead.

She turned the shell over in her hands, examining it intensely while humming a soft tune to herself. As he watched her, he couldn’t help but smile faintly, seeing his sister in such cheery, carefree spirits.

“Even though it’s only a memory…” He muttered softly to himself.

The island was a dreary place, a hilly terrain with shelves of barren dark grey slate rocks and weak scraggly grasses. The trees on this island were short and twisted and even though it was in the midst of summer their branches were sparse with reddish purple leaves.

The sun’s weak halo barely penetrated the endless grey clouds that perpetually hung in the sky. In Zwei’s memory there would be a terrible storm that night, but he saw no hint of it on the horizon.

After ten minutes of walking a dark two storey manor became visible in the distance. Its weathered walls were a mix of dark slate and plaster and were covered in creeping vines. It had probably once been quite a luxurious mansion, but years of weathering had worn it down. Even without considering the events that were about to happen, this gloomy place still unnerved Zwei.

As they approached the building Zwei saw two adults standing outside the manor talking to each other, who he quickly recognized as Sansen Zhao and his maid, Chloe. The old tycoon looked significantly younger than his present self. He still had his signature mustache, but it was black with no hint of grays, and the wrinkles on his face were not as deep or plentiful.

As for Chloe, Zwei was surprised by how similar she appeared. Her docile nature and smooth complexion had not changed at all in the six years between this memory and the present day. Even her maid outfit was exactly the same.

Zwei didn’t dwell on this observation, because he knew what was going to happen next. A dark look cast over his eyes as a heavy feeling of trepidation caused him to slow to a halt.

The door to the manor opened, and out stepped his parents.

A lump welled up in his throat as he saw his father exit the mansion with a painfully familiar heavy, lumbering gait. Zwei’s father had always been larger than life; he was a muscle bound, intense man that dominated every room he was in. He wore a classic vest overtop a cotton shirt and a pair of loose off white breeches. Looking at his father now, Zwei realized just how much the current Xiang resembled him.

His father bellowed out a greeting to Sansen Zhao and Chloe, waving at the pair as he walked down the slate steps.

Behind his father followed his mother. Slender, beautiful, graceful. She had a thin, tall figure like a gazelle and wore an elegant, flowing dress embroidered with silver thread. Unlike her animated husband, she was reserved and serious as she joined the group.

A thought bubbled up in Zwei’s mind. If Xiang took after their father, then Yuzu definitely took after their mother.

An intense longing and sadness filled Zwei as he recognized the little gestures and voices of his parents that he had not seen for so long.

“Papa!”

Yuzu’s laughter broke Zwei out of his reverie. The young girl launched into their father’s arms and he lifted her up into the air. The serious conversation of the adults was briefly halted as Yuzu showed them the shell that she had found. She leaned over to give her mother a hug, but her mother inched away, avoiding the girl’s muddy hands.

“Clean up first. You’re filthy.” Their mother said with a smile.

Their father readjusted Yuzu in his arms, not minding the mud that she was leaving on his outfit and as he looked toward Sansen Zhao. “Yune and I were thinking of taking a walk around the island after dinner, do you think you can take care of the kids?”

“Ah, looking for some alone time?” Sansen asked.

A mischievous grin grew on Tai Xing’s face as he winked at Sansen, “You could say that- oof.”

Tai was interrupted by a playful elbow jab to his ribs as Yune walked up beside him, her expression serious, “We thought we might even take the ship out if the weather is good.”

“Ah, I see.” Sansen nodded, “Be my guest. I’m sure I can find a way to keep the children entertained.”

“Can I go on the boat ride too?” Yuzu asked.

“Not tonight.” Yune replied, reaching out to brush Yuzu’s hair. She hesitated until she found a clean spot on the girl’s head and gently stroked it, “Be a good girl and stay inside.”

Zwei broke out in a cold sweat as he realized what he was listening to. At the time of his memory, Zwei hadn’t paid attention to the conversation. He just hung around on the side waiting for the boring adult talk to finish so that they could go in for dinner.

But now, Zwei caught every minute detail. The subtle raise of Sansen’s eyebrow when Tai announced they were going on a walk. The cheerfulness in his father’s voice that was just a bit too forced. The extra second that his mother held her hand against Yuzu’s head in a public display of affection that was uncharacteristic for her.

His parents had died in a boating accident, during the flash storm that overtook the island. That was the lie that he’d believed for years.

It was a painful tragedy that completely changed him and Yuzu and Xiang, but they’d moved on. They’d each dealt with it in their own way. Xiang had grown up overnight and taken on the role of provider and guardian for his siblings. Yuzu had withdrawn into a shell and pushed everyone away.

And as for himself? On the outside people remarked that he was still the same Zwei as before. Aloof and carefree. But inwardly he felt empty.

In the dream castle Quill had told him the truth. That his parents were both Exalted that had fled from across the sea. They sought refuge in Noga and had lived a peaceful life for nearly twenty years running their small pawn shop at the base of Whitehare Crescent.

They thought they were safe, until Markus Gantt arrived in Kumin.

The stop at this destitute island in the middle of the Altic sea was meant to be a trap for Gantt, made to look like the family was fleeing the continent when in fact they prepared an ambush.

Zwei, Yuzu and Xiang were the only ones who believed that this was a ‘vacation’.

Now that Zwei knew the truth he didn’t know how to feel. He only knew from seeing his parents in this memory that he still missed them. Hearing their voices again, seeing them alive in front of him while knowing that they were already gone - felt like the hole in his heart was being ripped wide open.

“Well, before you head out on your walk tonight, let’s have a nice dinner.” Sansen smiled, gesturing for the group to head inside.

Zwei’s father looked over to Zwei and placed a big hand on his back, pushing him forward, “Come along, Zwei. Let’s eat!”

His father’s warm smile was just how Zwei had remembered it.

As they walked into the manor, Zwei turned around and looked out across the landscape. An intense wave of deja vu washed over him as he said, “Where’s Xiang?”

The past Zwei had also said this exact line.

The adults hesitated as they all exchanged glances. None of them knew where the oldest child was.

Yune closed her eyes briefly, then said softly, “He’s not in the manor. I didn’t notice him leave.”

Tai and Yune looked at each other with subtle caution before Tai said, “Should I go look for him?”

Yuzu seemed to catch on to the worry in her parent’s voices as her brows furrowed in concern.

“I’m sure he’s just off exploring on his own.” Sansen chuckled, reaching over and pinching Yuzu on the cheek, “Come, let’s have dinner. I’ll send Chloe out to find him.”

His eyes hardened ever so subtly as he looked Tai in the eyes. Another moment missed by young Zwei, but this time he caught the message clearly - if Xiang is missing, Gantt could already be here. We can’t fall into his trap.

“Go find Xiang.” Sansen ordered Chloe, “Rush him back here, let him know the food is getting cold.”

“Yes, sir.” Chloe bowed low.

As Zwei was ushered into the manor doors he felt a quiet tinge of pity for the maid. If Xiang really was in danger, then Chloe was being sent to her demise as well. She was basically treated as an expendable person. Did she even have the privilege know what was going on, or was she simply another bystander on this hellish trip?

Thinking about it more, Zwei couldn’t recall seeing Xiang before the disastrous storm. It was only in the morning afterwards that Xiang had returned alone in broken despair.

As the manor doors shut behind them, Zwei caught a glimpse of the grey sky where the dark shadows were churning on the horizon.

They were coming closer.

11