Chapter 275 – Skillful Counter
82 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 275 - Skillful Counter

A memory echoed in Finn’s mind.

It was a quiet rainy late autumn night in the industrial district on the northwest part of the city. He was sitting in the corner of the main room of Chief Yun’s office, pouring over police procedure and training manuals.

He was nineteen at the time, out of school but too young to join the police force which had a minimum age of twenty years to enlist in training. At that age he spent his days in a factory assembling machinery, an exhausting and dirty job that also required some modicum of skill and education. At night he studied police procedures and any case files he could get his hands on.

That night he had been particularly exhausted after a week of gruelling shifts, yet he forced himself to stay awake, studying late into the night under the dwindling light of a small wood stove. 

In the dead of the night a set of footsteps outside approached the door. Finn had been drifting off into sleep but sat up as a key jiggled in the lock. The door opened as a thin figure in a flowing coat walked into the room.

He looked up at a deathly pale man with sunken, red eyes and wispy white hair.

This unmistakable figure who was the cause of all the chaos around the God of Life and the Cloud Monastery. This twisted man who his father had spent his final breaths chasing, before disappearing from the face of the earth.

Markus Gantt.

Finn was shaken out of the memory, finding himself in a creaky, rumbling carriage. A cold sweat dribbled down his temples, the neckline of his shirt was damp beneath his coat. Finn rubbed his eyes as he tried to hold onto the fading image in his mind.

Even as he tried to recall the memory it morphed in his mind. Instead of Gantt it was Chief Yun walking into the room. A sense of familiarity filled Finn as he recalled that specific night— Chief Yun had been out on a mission, Finn was waiting for him. Finn distinctly remembered that he had spilled a vial of ink from standing up at Chief Yun’s entrance.

No, wait. He was just reading police manuals, why would there be an ink vial?

Finn had never met Markus Gantt, never seen him in person. He only had a sketch of the man, a final memento left to him by his father. Why did Gantt of all people suddenly appear in his mind?

“Gods save me.” Finn moaned, pressing his palms into his eye sockets as he felt like he was starting to go crazy. It was nearly fourty-eight hours since he’d last had any sleep. His mind was drifting off, mixing memories with delirium.

As the memory of Chief Yun solidified itself in Finn’s mind he felt certain that the image of Markus Gantt in Yun’s office was just a dream.

“Hallucinations. Just what I need before this meeting.” Finn muttered to himself as he calmed down, recalling his current situation as he glanced out the window to see the dark silhouette of the Tye Ann Cathedral looming closer.

A nervous energy trembled within Finn’s veins as the police carriage came to a lurching stop a few minutes later. He took a moment inside the quiet dark passenger compartment, inhaling deeply through his nose as he listened to the pitter patter of rain outside. 

This is it. He steeled himself. Focus, Finn.

A dull roar of rain filled his ears as he pushed open the door, plump raindrops instantly plopping onto his outstretched gloved hand. He dismounted, opening up a black umbrella as he stepped onto the uneven, puddle-filled cobblestone road.

He glanced behind him at the boxy police carriage, making eye contact with the driver and signalling for the driver to guard the carriage. The prisoner compartment of the carriage was empty, of course, but the task was to put on every pretence that Char Char Zhao really was inside waiting to be hand-delivered to the Cathedral.

The prison cart driver was one of Finn’s team mates, Officer Chu Huang, who was fully aware of the plan and the stakes. The heavy set man with small eyes and a round face stood guard in front of the carriage with his arms crossed and his pistol visible, giving off an imposing aura.

Finn quietly observed the group who had come out to greet him.

Six people were waiting for Finn, standing in a loose arc around him. Rain sloughed constantly off their black umbrellas. The light from the street lamps was dull and cold.

On Finn’s left were two men in flowing grey and white priest robes. The multi-layered robes had a modern cut to them that differentiated them from the robes typically worn by monks. These priests wore tall ornamental head dresses lined with silver. Each of them held a pair of handcuffs, one for the arms and one for the legs, which had runes to negate an Exalted’s powers.

They were tasked with receiving Char Char and delivering her to the cells within the Cathedral. From Finn’s understanding at least one of them would be an Apprentice as well, perhaps both, given the nature of the prisoner.

To Finn’s right was Deputy Minister Song Cheng from the Trade Department. This older man had thick eyebrows and a broad nose and thick rimmed spectacles. He held an air of authority around him, developed from decades of managing the trade operations around the province. 

Finn was familiar with the man— He was the minister in charge of the transactions of Exalted materials between Kumin and Banbajan which Finn had brokered between Sansen Zhao and the Trade Ministry.

Beside Minister Cheng were two women. The obviously higher-ranking one was a thin woman with a noble bearing. Her hair was neatly tied in a bun and secured with an ornamental comb. Delicate wrinkles around her eyes and lips betrayed her age, though she was still quite beautiful. This was the Deputy Minister of Public Safety, Camille Mak.

Finn’s investigations into the smuggled Exalted goods was in her jurisdiction, though Finn had only met Minister Mak once. Most of his discussions had been with her adjutant, a tall, serious young woman who stood beside her holding a large umbrella to shield both of them.

Finn suppressed his feelings of relief from seeing the two ministers waiting for his arrival. He didn’t acknowledge them directly, but instead focused on his ‘task’ of delivering Char Char, first speaking with the drivers of the two carriages now that they had reached their destination. 

It was important he took his time here, allowing the tension between the attendees to naturally build up.

In the center was a tall, serious man with sharp features and an expensive tailored suit beneath his coat. Finn had also not met him before, but he knew the man from his description. Deputy Minister Louis Byron, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Seeing Minister Byron in front of him and not Bryant Chaser, Finn was now sure of the situation. This man was Finn’s enemy tonight, the original source of the decree that he had to have overturned.

The two ministers on Finn’s right had not been formally invited, but instead had been subtly notified that there was an exchange happening that might disrupt their own interests. 

Char Char Zhao has been recalled to the Cathedral, negating the key term of Sansen’s side of the arrangements, was approximately how the message went, with just enough detail for the ministers to surmise that she was being delivered tonight and there was still a chance to turn things around.

The small crowd surrounding Finn had stayed at a respectful distance. Cheng and Mak eyed Minister Byron out of the corner of their eyes with conflicted expressions. It was clear that they were wondering about Byron’s involvement in the proceedings, though there was no animosity indicating that they did not know that Byron was the one who made the decree.

Byron maintained a neutral expression, though from his body language he was wary of the other two ministers.

As for the two priests they were clearly confused why a crowd had showed up for this otherwise simple delivery.

Finn turned around, making eye contact with the priests as if to signal the start of the exchange. The two ministers on his right exchanged worried looks with each other.

“Wait—“ Minister Cheng said, adjusting his spectacles as he stepped forward, “Officer Mackenzie, if I may ask— The nature of your business here tonight…”

He trailed off, understanding that he was interfering with a procedure that officially had nothing to do with him. There was an awkward pause as Finn pretended to notice the minister for the first time.

“Minister Cheng, good evening.” Finn nodded, even adding a brief glance toward Mak and Byron, “I’m handling some matters for the Security Ministry…”

He trailed off, indicating that he wasn’t at liberty to talk freely about it. This was a calculated act. The ministers weren’t aware that Finn himself had shared the details, and so to play the part correctly Finn had to feign ignorance about their motives.

“Would this happen to concern Char Char Zhao?” Minister Mak spoke up from behind Cheng, stepping forward elegantly.

Finn frowned, letting his facial expression and hesitation answer the question.

“Officer, I am sorry to trouble you but I must request that you hold off for a moment.” Minister Cheng said sternly, “This matter is somewhat delicate.”

“Indeed.” Minister Mak said, “Can you inform us which office gave the order?”

“Is there a problem?” At this point the tall, sharply dressed figure of Minister Byron stepped forward. His voice was confident and crisp, cutting through the downpour, “This matter is the concern of the Ministry of Security and Foreign Affairs. The details are confidential, you may inquire with my office to obtain further information.”

“I beg to differ.” Minister Mak said with a frown, delicate wrinkles forming on the edges of her lips, “This matter also concerns Public Safety. Why wasn’t I made aware of it?”

“Indeed.” Minister Cheng harrumphed, the elder man not allowing him to be intimidated by Byron’s show of confidence, “It has repercussions on Lord Noga’s international relations and trade agreements. I’m afraid this matter is not purely a decision Foreign Affairs can make.”

If Minister Byron was upset at the accusations he didn’t show it. He smiled pleasantly, nodding to the two ministers, “Indeed, I am aware of the arrangements around miss Zhao’s original house arrest. After having her returned to our custody I intended to have a discussion with the two of you. The appointments were scheduled this evening by my assistant for the morrow.”

Finn had a bad feeling as he sensed his two allies hesitate from Minister Byron’s unapologetic demeanour.

“It is late and wet out.” Minister Byron said, “These matters can be addressed in the morning, can they not?”

“Well—“ Minister Cheng adjusted his glasses.

“The handover will take but a minute, we can even take it to my office right now if you’d like after securing Char Char inside.” Minister Byron offered.

This isn’t right! Don’t let him take control of the conversation! Finn protested internally. You’re supposed to insist for Char Char to be returned home. Don’t you care about your agreements?

“I’m curious, though.” Minister Byron glanced at Finn out of the corner of his eye, “How you two heard of this supposedly confidential matter.”

The glint in Byron’s eyes told Finn with no uncertainty that he suspected that Finn had a part in this. When it came to his position in this situation he was the lowest rank out of everyone present. He was a handler whose job was to deliver the prisoner, a mere inspector of the police force whose position would be in jeopardy if it was suspected that he had leaked out such confidential information.

However if Byron knew about the arrangements made with Sansen Zhao and the other Ministry offices, then Byron likely also knew that Finn had a large part in brokering the deals with Sansen Zhao. Many of Finn’s recent accomplishments had come from these dealings with Sansen Zhao, therefore it was in his best interest to disrupt this decree.

Finn realized from Byron’s brief glance that he had underestimated the minister.

Minister Cheng seemed to have the wind taken out of him as he didn’t have a good response to Minister Byron. He didn’t have a strong objection to Byron’s suggestion to discuss the situation in the morning. He only frowned and grumbled beneath his breath.

The thin, proud Minister Mak wasn’t so easily defeated.

“How would we not know about this? We have our channels.” Minister Mak said indignantly, “Minister, I understand you have made many outstanding accomplishments since you accepted your position. However if I may impart some advice, you would do well to involve your fellow Ministers in your endeavours, the Ministry as a whole will be stronger for it.”

The statement was spoken with a warm tone as if she were gently coaching a new colleague, but the undertones were severe. Reading between the lines, Mak was indicating that Byron’s actions would upset their relations and future deals.

However Byron, too, had an answer for her.

“Of course, cooperation between our offices is crucial. If the circumstances were different I absolutely would have gone through the normal channels and ensured that your offices were well aware of this decision.” Minister Byron smiled regretfully, “In this specific case though, I was following the orders of Minister Chaser.”

“Minister Chaser?” Mak’s eyebrows knitted together in concern as she heard the name of her superior, the Minister of Security. 

“Yes. Officer, can you hand over the decree?” Byron received the sealed letter from Finn with a courteous nod and presented it to the other Ministers for their review.

The indignant light in Minister Mak’s eyes faded as she saw Bryant Chaser’s wax seal.

Minister Byron sighed regretfully, “I understand that there are some issues that this course of actions may have caused, however this matter with the Zhao girl is indeed a critical matter for national security that could not be delayed. I wish I were at more liberty to explain here.”

Minister Mak’s lips formed a thin line as she was unable to further refute Byron’s words.

“Officer, I am sorry for taking up your time.” Byron now turned to Finn, “I believe we’ve sorted the matter at present.”

“Please have Char Char Zhao handed over to the priests and we can be on our way.”

 

Merry Christmas everyone!

Wishing everyone all the best. Thank you so much for reading Calamity Mandate all this time. Hopefully the story will get better and better in the year(s) to come!

9