Chapter 276 – Hollow Victory
72 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 276 - Hollow Victory

“Please have Char Char Zhao handed over to the priests and we can be on our way.”

Minister Byron’s order to Finn was simple and direct, the confident tone of a man who had overcome his adversaries and had imposed his will on the situation.

There was a smugness in his expression as he looked down his nose at Finn with just a slight upward curl of his lip. The glint in his eyes relayed to Finn that the Minister definitely believed that Finn had a hand in this situation, but that he’d still come out the winner.

For Finn, who was above average height himself, being looked down upon triggered him.

“No.” Finn’s jaw was tense as a cold aura surged in his eyes, breaking his typical professional demeanour, “I think not.”

So what if Byron was backed by Bryant Chaser?

So what if the two Ministers didn’t have the political strength or guts to stand up for their own interests?

Did that have anything to do with him?

At this moment, Finn didn’t even care about the fact that the prison carriage was empty, that delivering Char Char was impossible. Seeing that smug, self-important, egotistical look on Minister Byron’s face, Finn came to the resolution that even if he could hand Char Char over, he wouldn’t.

So what if he was charged for treason?

He hadn’t slept in two days. He didn’t have patience for this trash.

“I’m sorry, officer.” Minister Byron’s smile flickered in mild confusion, “I must have misheard.”

“You heard right.” Finn replied, “I’m not turning her over.”

The two men stared each other down, the rain drowning out the sounds and the people in the background. 

Minister Byron seemed momentarily at a loss for an answer as he swept his eyes across the priests and the two ministers behind him. He had an incredulous expression on his face as if he expected people to start laughing and letting him in on a joke. 

“Officer… Mackenzie, was it? This is a decree from the Ministry. You are in no position to obstruct it.” Minister Byron said delicately, “Be very careful about your next words, officer.”

“On the contrary,” Finn said quietly, “You’re the one that should be careful.”

Minister Byron’s eyes narrowed as he hesitated at Finn’s words. He felt the eyes of both the priests and the ministers on his back, feeling the pressure that this lowly officer was putting on him. 

He looked over Finn, who was sharply dressed in his police uniform. Byron had read the reports on Finn. This inspector had recently found a lot of success in the force, rounding up insurgents across the province. He was quickly making a name for himself, but clearly his head had gotten too big.

A police inspector standing up to a Deputy Minister? What a farce!

Minister Byron’s lips curled into a snarl as he realized this inspector was making a fool of him. He was on the verge of ordering the priests to arrest Finn, but Finn spoke first.

“I tried to give you a way out, Minister. To help you save face.” Finn said, “But you’ve forced my hand.”

“Save face!” Minister Byron barked, “Who needs to save face?”

Again he was about to put an end to the discussion, but the dark, knowing look in Finn’s eyes sent a jolt of caution through Byron’s mind. 

He knows something. What does he know? Byron couldn’t help but wonder. Various scenarios flashed in his mind, things that could possibly set Byron back. His plans, his private deals with various other ministers to further his goals, but these were things that Finn couldn’t possibly know about.

Except for one thing.

The decree to apprehend Char Char had Bryant Chaser’s wax seal on it, but it was in fact not personally approved by the Minister himself. Byron had used his connections in the Ministry of Security office to push through this order, bypassing one or two minor rules to expedite it. 

But how was it possible for Finn to know about it? Not even his fellow ministers were aware.

The rule bending itself was not a problem for Minister Byron, even if it was found out. Neither his position nor his reputation would be in jeopardy.

However…

Minister Byron found his tongue tied in front of this officer’s resolute confidence.

“Char Char’s current status under house arrest is a matter of national security.” Finn said calmly, “Taking her into custody breaches those arrangements, which the two ministers have so rightly expressed.”

“National security…” Minister Byron’s lips twitched, “I’m the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, national security is under my authority! Your arrangements—“

“—Were also made by decree of Bryant Chaser.” Finn calmly pulled out an object from his inner pocket and held it out for everyone present to see. The metal badge inset with two precious gems glimmered in the lamplight, the words National Inspector clearly on display, “These matters are of prime importance to the Ministry of National Defense and must not be jeopardized.”

Minister Byron nearly took a step back in shock as several thoughts went through his mind. 

When did Finn become a National Inspector? No, even if he was now a national inspector, was that relevant? He still held less authority than a Deputy Minister!

The key difference that as a national inspector he now worked for the military under the Ministry of National Defense, whose deputy minister was— Bryant Chaser!

What are the chances that Bryant Chaser would have a personal interest in Mackenzie’s investigation? It must be a bluff! Furthermore, I still have the authority to override Mackenzie and have the priests carry out my orders. Minister Byron trembled as he felt his control over the situation slipping.

Before he could turn to the priests another voice interrupted him.

“For there to be two conflicting orders from Bryant Chaser’s office, clearly there’s been some mix-up.” The elegant, astute Minister Mak wasted no time raising her voice with a sweet tone, “Wouldn’t you say so, Minister Byron?”

“Minister Mak…” Byron’s eye twitched in frustration as he felt Mak’s words stab through him. He could refute her directly, but with Chaser’s orders under question it would be a direct imposition of his will against hers.

“Yes, given that following through with Char Char’s arrest will void the existing arrangements, we should hold off until we have confirmation from Minister Chaser.” Minister Cheng said.

“My assistant tells me Minister Chaser is currently out of the province and his office is closed for the evening.” Minister Mak said after a short exchange with her assistant.

“Ah, perhaps we should adjourn until the morning then?” Minister Cheng raised an eyebrow.

“…It seems so.” Byron said between gritted teeth.

Minister Mak nodded to Finn, who took the opportunity to motion to the driver of the prison carriage to return to the Zhao estate. Byron had no option but to let it go.

The carriage’s wheels clattered against the cobblestone as it took off into the rain and disappeared from site.

“Don’t be concerned. These kind of mix-ups often come up between offices.” Minister Mak said in a consoling tone, “You were only aware of part of the whole picture. In this sense it’s Minister Chaser that erred.”

She nodded to Finn. Her assistant bowed to Minister Byron before following behind Minister Mak into the Cathedral. The broad shouldered Minister Cheng also took his leave without any embellishing words.

The tall, handsome Minister Byron seemed in shock as he watched the prison carriage drive away. 

At present he came to his senses, his eyes flickering to Finn briefly.

“Tch!” He turned and strode quickly to the cathedral doors.

Finn was left to himself as he watched the ministers and priests depart with a dark expression. He stayed still in a confident pose as if he was watching his adversary depart. In actuality he was trembling intensely from adrenaline and was worried that any jerky or awkward motion might betray his inner tension.

In fact, Finn hadn’t planned to confront Byron so directly. He had originally counted on the two ministers being able to sway Minister Byron, but when they failed his contingency plan was to call for Colonel Gwynn to back him up, using her authority in the military to try to swing the balance in his favour.

However, Byron’s smug, superior expression when he ordered for Char Char to be retrieved sent Finn over the edge.

He’d caught Byron’s brief moment of weakness and impulsively counter-attacked with his own claim. Flashing the national inspector badge, and the following claims of Bryant Chaser’s support of his investigation was also an impromptu performance. 

He had no idea if Bryant Chaser actually knew about the catalyst smuggling or the exalted material shipments. The line of logic was simply that it was a military matter, headed by a military Colonel, and therefore under the Ministry of National Defense. 

Apparently it was just believable enough to throw Byron off guard and allow the ministers to back Finn up.

Finn stared at the dark, rain-soaked cathedral for a while with a frown on his face. 

This was only a hollow victory. A temporary refrain while Minister Byron recouped his position. No doubt the Minister had something in mind for Char Char, and he would not let Finn play the ‘National Defense’ card again. Finn would have to gather more intel on Byron and find out what he was really looking for before Byron made his next move.

Still, not a bad result for having less than twelve hours to prepare.

Not a bad result going off of fourty-two hours without sleep, either. Finn let out a long sigh, looking forward to finally getting some rest.

He turned, heading back to the police carriage that he had arrived in. As he approached the doors his spiritual intuition triggered. 

A portal appeared inside the carriage? His eyes narrowed as he felt the presence of someone inside.

The door opened from the inside, revealing his teammate David Williams. The young man with wavy blond hair had a support role on the team, coordinating and managing logistics.

“Finn— Wren and Leung…” Williams’ usual cheerful face was stricken with grief, “They’re dead!”

 

Apologies for the late chapter, hope you enjoyed!

6