Episode 3: Phantom Raid (Part 4)
142 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

_Confederation Interstellar Military Transport Cruiser - Kestrel / Bridge

"Sir, the IFF signals of the entire Zephyr squadron are all gone!" the CIC operator urgently reported.

"How's the Genion Drive coming along Kozlow? Can we make a jump soon?" the ship captain asked the maintenance officer while sporting a grave expression.

"Just a bit more sir! I've nearly got it—"

The officer hadn't even managed to finish replying when two strong tremors shook the entire ship once more.

"GODDAMNIT!!! Sir, they just blasted off most of our thrusters! Almost all of them are dead! The engine's no longer responding either!" the maintenance officer screamed in frustration.

"What about the barrier?!" 

"It's dead too sir! Their attacks were too strong! They punched a hole right through the barrier like it was nothing! Almost all the power circuits supplying it were fried from the feedback!"

"Seven bogeys, coming in fast! Judging from the readings, they should be small assault craft." the CIC operator warned.

Tremors once again rocked the ship.

"Sir, the ship's been breached! Sections A10, B3, D5, and F7 have all been compromised! They rammed us and punctured straight through the hull! Enemy troops are coming in fast!"

The ship captain strongly clenched his fists until blood seeped out from his palms.

"Abandon ship!" he decisively ordered. "Tell all remaining personnel to protect the trainees at all costs. Get them to the pods, even if it's the last thing they'll do."

As the first mate hurriedly relayed his orders, the captain fished a silver locket from beneath his uniform. Within it was the picture of a smiling young girl and a woman with gentle, almond shaped eyes.

"I'm sorry, you two. Papa's not gonna make it for dinner tonight." he murmured softly.

"Bogey incoming! It's heading straight for us!" the CIC operator warned.

A hostile Tactical Frame landed right before the bridge. Plasma claws flared from its forearms.

The captain got up from his seat and defiantly glared at the enemy.

"Just who the hell are you freaks?" he uttered.

Plasma claws gouged the bridge and instantly incinerated everyone inside.

***

_Kestrel / Ship Hallway / Section A10 Hull Breach

Men and women clad in powered suits and EX-Frames of various makes and appearances gathered before the front hatch of an S-ALM-C32 'Hammerhead' spacecraft, which rammed and punched through the Kestrel's hull moments earlier. 

"Look alive ladies and gentlemen! It's time for work!" a deep, gravelly voice rang out. It came from a tall, dark green EX-Frame. Its worn surface was marred with countless nicks and scratches - likely from past battles. 

Its helm slid open; revealing the scarred face of a bald, rough looking man. His severe gaze swept through all those around him.

"Now, I reckon some of you louts still have some misgivings about this operation. What we're going to do is the furthest things from honorable after all." he began.

"So listen up! If any of you still hold on to those kinds of sentiments, then you better take em and shove em up yer sorry asses!" he menacingly roared. "We've lost all semblance of honor and glory once! They were lost along with the lives of countless comrades in arms!" he continued. His tone became more impassioned. 

"It was His Highness who brought us out of the rut we found ourselves in! It was he who gave us the opportunity to redeem ourselves! It was he who gave us back the ability to pay tribute to our fallen comrades by bathing the battlefield with the blood of our enemies!" 

"His Highness is now preparing for his inevitable ascent! And he deemed this operation necessary for accomplishing that very goal. So we will complete it, even if we would be seen as nothing but murderous madmen as a result!"

He paused and raised a clenched fist. He then banged it on the chest plate of his EX-Frame, making a loud ring resound throughout the walls.

"If His Highness requires people who would willingly descend to hell for him, then let those people be us!!!" 

"AYE!!!" came the collective reply.

"The main objective is to retrieve the item code named [L.D.F.]. As for everything else: annihilate them all. Leave none alive! Move out!"

The hatch opened, like a giant maw connecting to the underworld. And what poured out of it was a horde of vengeful demons.

***

_Ryuu Creed

_Kestrel / Ship Hallway 

I followed after Marco as we ran through the inner hallway of the ship. Screams and curses echoed from the direction we fled away from. 

I suppressed the urge to vomit after remembering what transpired earlier. Now was not the time to act all fragile.

After the tremors began, Marco's expression suddenly changed and he hurriedly told me to follow him out of the mess hall, with none of the previous frivolous air present in his tone. I became confused at his sudden shift in attitude. But, feeling apprehensive yet curious about the ensuing disturbance, I eventually decided to follow in order to check things out.

He immediately ran while urging me to follow after him. Some of the other trainees noticed us and followed along; wanting to see what we two were up to. 

Soon, chaos ensued.

An order to abandon ship echoed from the ship's intercom. Before we could even make sense of it, the hull was suddenly punctured through right before our eyes. 

A lot of dangerous looking and fully armed individuals came out of the hatch of the assault craft which breached the walls. Then, they began to fire their weapons indiscriminately, reducing many trainees to bloody, smoking chunks. 

It was hell.

Soldiers stationed at the ship tried to rescue and defend us, but they were no match for the assailants. Very quickly, they became part of the ever increasing body count. 

I was scared out of my wits. I was barely aware of my surroundings when Marco forcefully dragged me away and fled, with me in tow.

2