Episode 4: Quickening (Part 2/Rin)
146 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

_Rin Creed

_Planet Caldinus I / Capital City - Dumont / Downtown

"WHAT?! YOU DECIDED TO JOIN THAT LOONEY BIN?!!!"

The very first reaction Rin earned from her mentor after telling him her plans was a totally angry outburst.

After leaving her brother in the care of the nurses, she had gone to the downtown district of Dumont City - the capital of Caldinus I. It was just a twenty minute ride away from the hospital. She went to find a Public Interstellar Communications Terminal in order to give the old professor a call, and make a request for his assistance.

In the beginning, Professor Leighton was still his old, cheery self. But the moment Rin mentioned entering the 353rd, he went totally ballistic.

She struggled to suppress her laughter. The sight of the diminutive old man who had pulled some of his prized beard off as his nostrils flared was just too hilarious for her.

"Oh, come now professor. It can't be that bad, right?" she coaxed sweetly.

"Can't be that bad? Bah! My arse! Crazy dreamers, the lot of them." Professor Leighton fumed.

"But you told me they were also researching the potential of Genion particles one time during our discussions. Our topics of study are the same. Can't I find at least some common ground with them on the subject?" Rin asked.

Professor Leighton raised a bushy eyebrow. "You don't understand my dear. We're scientists. We study and deduce phenomena through the lens and logic of science, backed with painstakingly gathered empirical data. They, however, are different." he began to explain.

"Their beliefs and approach border on the fantastic and metaphysical. They propose that the Genion particles are [the very memory of the universe] itself, which exist in the past, present and future simultaneously - within all temporal planes. Communing with them would allow us to influence any and all phenomena within the universe, and mastering control over them would even allow us to bend fate itself."

"CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT DRIVEL?!!!" Professor Leighton hoarsely yelled. "This isn't some kind of fantasy novel or comic about magic and sorcery! This is real life!"

His chest heaved intermittently. His face flushed red in agitation.

"The very fact that a group like them exists within the ranks of the Confederation military is a joke and an insult! I cannot even fathom why you would want to associate yourself with such... such quacks!" he vehemently complained. 

"The fact that they have yet to release anything remotely resembling a success utilizing their research speaks volumes about how pointless it all truly is."

Rin furrowed her brows. "If they really are so ridiculous, why was the division allowed to be formed in the first place? Why are they still allowed to continue operating even now, if they really have no results to speak of?" she asked, perplexed.

Professor Leighton sighed in exasperation. "They have a very, VERY strong backer. Their incorporation into the Confederation Military was her work as well."

"A strong backer?" Rin probed.

"A really influential one. One of those at the very top of the proverbial food chain. She's the prized step-daughter of the current Grand Archon, and the wife of the current richest man in the Confederation - Selena Vaughn Elmeth." the professor revealed, much to Rin's shock. 

"The Elmeth Group. So the 353rd is actually backed by the Elmeth Group!" she exclaimed in surprise.

Professor Leighton nodded powerlessly. "Yes, it's the Elmeth Group. She's one of our Institute's primary sponsors as well. I just can't, for the life of me, understand why she would develop an unhealthy interest in such... unscientific pursuits."

'Selena Vaughn Elmeth... She may be the one mentioned by Uncle Hal earlier. The one who knows exactly what's going on with my brother.' Rin inwardly pondered.

"Is there really no way for you to reconsider, Rin?" the professor asked pleadingly.

"My mind's made up, Professor. My brother is practically being forced to go there. I can't rest easy unless I go and take a look for myself." Rin answered with conviction.

Professor Leighton slumped his shoulders in defeat. But he soon regained his composure and gave some instructions.

"Alright dear. I'll arrange it for you. But, since you're going to them and all, be sure to enlighten those deluded fools regarding the true nature and practical utilization of Genion particles. We cannot allow the lifelong research and discovery of the late Professor Gener Genion to be degraded to such inane concepts." he intoned.

"Understood Professor. Thank you for understanding." Rin said and sweetly smiled at the old scientist in gratitude.

"Sure, my dear. Stay safe. Tell your bonehead brother he better not worry you too much, or I'll be paying him a visit to give him a lesson he won't ever forget!" Professor Leighton made a parting threat at the unaware brother now lying asleep in a hospital room, and bid goodbye.

Rin sighed after she finished the call and turned the comm device off. She stared at her right palm, and a sudden flash of scarlet bloomed within its center. It disappeared soon after, like an illusory mirage.

"I'm sorry Professor. But, on the contrary, I think that place is exactly where I would find the answers I seek." she murmured softly.

This was a secret only she knew. It was the reason she became interested in Genion particle research in the first place.

She had a feeling that going to the 353rd would help shed some light into the mystery which had confused her ever since she was a child.

"Wonderland, huh? I hope it won't disappoint."

2