Volume 2 – Chapter 17: Prisoner
143 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I swear!”, the goblin pleaded, ”We were just 'ere ter nick yor candles! We just wanted some light for the bloomin' night! I-I promise!”.

 

Thet made another small cut near his ribcage. Slowly, to make sure he felt as much pain as possible. It was horrible, but not the worst I could think of. I’ve seen worse on TV back in my old world. Things like cutting off the fingers or pulling out fingernails. At first I thought she might not be as experienced as I was led to believe. But then, I noticed her expression. Her focus seemed to ebb and flow. Returning when she asked another question, before quickly flowing away again as she made the cut. She didn’t even really look where she made the cut. Her eyes were vaguely locked on his face.

 

“I swear! We didn't mean yer any 'arm! Honest guv!”, the goblin pleaded again.

 

He was afraid, but his fear for whatever consequence he might face if he gave in was greater. His leader must be quite nasty, I thought. He wasn’t gonna give in no matter how long we made this nightmare last.

 

“This is clearly not working!”, I yelled out, “How about this? What’s your name?”.

 

“St-Streac! Mer name’s Streac!”.

 

“Right. Well, Streac. How about you calm down for a bit, recover your strength and explain to us exactly what you were doing here?”.

 

I turned around to Eidechse, who had been patiently watching this with a neutral expression.

 

“I suggest you heal him”, I said in Draconic, “No point in going any further with this. It’s not gonna make him talk”.

 

“And what makes you think your method will work?”, he answered, “I agree that this isn’t going anywhere. Thet’s not exactly putting her soul into it. But I don’t see how friendliness will be any better. Especially with a mug of blood already spilled”.

 

“Just follow my lead on this one. I have a plan”.

 

I didn’t. Well, not really. I figured that if I acted nice he’d either become more cooperative or take me for a fool. Either option seemed better than bleeding him out to death. At least now he might take me to his leader, I thought.

 

As requested, Eidechse healed him. Thet, with a sigh that seemed to indicate relief, cut his binds loose. I turned my attention away from her and on to Streac. Whatever was going on with her had to come later.

 

“So, then”, I said, “Feeling better now?”

 

“Ye-yeah”.

 

“Good. Sorry for my friend. She’s just used to getting information out of difficult folk. But you won’t be difficult, will you?”.

 

“N-no! I've been tellin' yer the truff! We just came 'ere because we noticed yor lights and we wanted some. It's right 'ard livin' outside, in fe dark. I fought yer wouldn't miss one or two, but I were wrong. Please! If yer let me go, I'll never return. I swear it by Grodch!”

 

I had to give him credit. He never changed his story. Now, it wasn’t a good story. It was full of mistakes, like our lights being on. But, at least he stuck by it. That did give me an idea in which direction to take this. He wasn’t going to buckle. So, making it seem like I believed him was the better option.

 

“Alright. We’ll let you go in just a moment”.

 

“Hey, wait ju-”, Eidechse was saying before Vyth kicked him on his leg.

 

My brother had faith in me. Too much faith, honestly. From their perspective I must’ve really looked like a cartoonishly gullible idiot.

 

“But I feel really bad for what we did to you and your friend. How about I go with you to bring some food, candles and more supplies?”.

 

“No, right, no. Fat ain't necessary”.

 

“Please, I insist on it! It’s not right how we treated you and we must apologise somehow”.

 

“Fine fen”, he said after some thought, “But only yer can come wif”.

 

How obvious could one be? Well, it’s not like it mattered. I figured the others would follow me regardless.

 

“Seems fair to me. You must’ve gotten quite the scare from my friend here. Let me just collect everything in a sack and then we’ll go”.

 

“It’s best if you leave him be, Thet”, I heard Eidechse say as I left, “Let’s get you back to bed”.

 

I started throwing random things in a haversack. It didn’t matter what went in it, so long as it couldn’t be used as a weapon. I obviously didn’t want to arm them. Eidechse joined me and put something in.

 

“It’s from Thet”, he whispered in Draconic, “Make sure to use it when you’re ready”.

 

“I will. Thank you”.

 

He chuckled: “You really couldn’t be more obvious, now, could you? Let’s just hope the Goblin is as flatheaded as you acted”.

 

I gave him a smile and finished packing the sack. We were on the same page, gladly. I could count on them to have my back on this. I left with Streac not long after. Leaving the safety and comfort of the village and into the dark, hilly grassland. The other three were stalking us at a distance. I made an effort not to look back and give them away, but I could feel their eyes on me. We eventually reached a small cavern entrance in one of the many hills the area had to offer, semi-concealed by trees.

 

“Fis ere it. We've arrived at us ‘umble abode”, Streac said.

 

He tried to hide it, but I could hear his light snicker. I paid it no mind, but got ready to fight instead. He brought me into the cave, where a couple more Goblins sat around a campfire. One of them, I noticed, was a bit bigger and stronger than the rest and sat on a wooden chair. It wasn’t well built, but seeing it still somewhat surprised me. He sat laid back and cross-armed before he saw me.

 

“Well, well, well. Wot 'ave we got 'ere, fen? Santa's taken fe form of a lizard and brought us gifts, has 'e?”, the big Goblin said.

 

“Santa?”, I blurted out in surprise.

 

“Never mind fat! Wot 'ave yer got fere, fen? I 'ope for yor sake yer've brought us fe stinkin' amulet! As well as some apology gifts, o'course”.

 

“He didn't, boss. This divvy right 'ere fought 'e could sweet talk me and came 'ere ter help us!”, Streac bragged, “He bought me story about candles or sumfin! He’s a right wanker!”.

 

I quietly grabbed Thet’s smoke bomb as they all laughed away. I did want to hear more from their leader, but that could come after he was tied up.

7