Chapter 57
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once they arrived in New Tensis, the group of almost thirty people had trouble finding accommodation. Not all inns and hotels had enough rooms, and those with the right number were busy hosting multiple guests. In this way, the group ended up in a low-quality hostel located next to the coliseum.

"Not Theodor, by all the gods, they are not human," Darthañan clarified for the thousandth time.

"But they look like humans," Tod complained.

"They are like our cousins, they are called Neanderthals," said Darthañan, trying to make the boy understand.

Theodor looked at his dad suspiciously and then turned to look through the window at the people he had assumed were human.

Neanderthals were the dominant species of New Tensis. Their appearance was very similar to that of humans. But the few differences they had made it easy to tell them apart. Their foreheads were not vertical but were tilted back. The shape of their skull made them have prominent lumps on their eyebrows. Their bodies were more robust and their height was between ten and five centimeters less.

New Tensis was a city that occupied the entire island. Unlike the agglomerated structures built by many species, Neanderthals preferred to build their edifications several meters apart from each other. Its structures were mostly of one floor expanded horizontally. And the few buildings that stretched vertically did so underground.

Walking through New Tensis seemed like a rural trip, each family had their crops and livestock. But this did not mean that they did not take advantage of the magic and technology at their disposal. Neanderthals were not only physically similar to humans, they had similar magical abilities and abilities. And although they did not have brilliant individuals in the areas of technology and technomagic, their bodies were more resistant and stronger.

"They are dwarfs the size of humans," Theodor said, reaching a conclusion that finally left him satisfied.

Darthañan ignored him, he did not want to spend more hours discussing the same subject with Theodor. Finding accommodation had been quite stressful, and not only that, the place they found had a strange rule that separated men from women, regardless of whether they were family. This rule had something to do with the fact that most of their clients were people who worked in the coliseum and enough accidents had happened that all hotels in the area were forced to enforce that rule.

Unable to sleep while sharing a room with his restless son, on Darthañan's mind was the fact that while they continued to stay at the hostel, he would not be able to read Legends of Heroes. Thinking about it, stressed from the busy day they had, and unable to sleep because Theodor just that night had become a little chatterbox; he could hardly fall asleep.

The next day, after breakfast, the family and their followers went to the coliseum. It was right in front and several shows were free and open to the public in the morning.

Darthañan was with dark circles around his eyes, just when Theodor fell asleep the noise of the coliseum began. The most popular and bloody functions were performed at night. The hostel was empty because of that. The only ones who could rest in this place were those who worked in the coliseum at night, sleeping during the day.

To call it a colosseum and compare it to the great gladiator stadiums of the high islands was to overestimate it. Like all New Tensis structures, it was of a single story. The combat arena looked more like a moat in the middle of the stone structure. The dressing rooms, hallways, cellars, and cages of animals and monsters were built underground.

Entering the Coliseum, they soon noticed that several families were scattered around the arena. The place looked like an inverted hill where all the visitors stood in the meadow as if they were having a picnic.

“Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the first match of the day,” said a voice amplified with magic.             

The person sounded no more than twenty years old, maybe he was working part-time in these public battles.

“All of today's battles are sponsored by the young prodigy Lord Amgu!”

The presentation was followed by a wave of applause.

Immediately the presenter began to give a summary of the life of this person. At twenty-seven he was one of the richest and most powerful men of the third sector of New Tensis. He had obtained excellent results in the tournament of imperial glory.

This tournament of imperial glory was the most important event in all of Almawarth. It was organized and patronized by the emperor himself. It was carried out every 3 years, but the qualifications were carried out during the previous two years. It was divided into four categories: children, teenagers, young people, and adults; depending on their relative age.

If a human was placed as an example, the categories would be divided as follows:

Children: 7-12 years old.

Teenagers: 13-19 years old.

Young people: 20-30 years old.

Adults: 31-60 years old.

Only those capable of winning in any of these categories were allowed to enter the imperial island. And not only that, the victories of each of the categories gave different awards and honors. The winners of the children's category were accepted into the imperial academy and a good sum of money was given to their parents or guardians. The winners of the adolescent category obtained the honor of continuing their studies in the precious specializations offered by the imperial academy (Anyone can enroll even if they have not studied in the academy before) or a large amount of money that would allow them to live in wealth for the rest of their lives. The winners in the youth category earned permanent residence on the imperial island, property on the island, and the option to join the imperial army, which would allow them to enter the empire's political, economic, and social world. And not only that, the different kingdoms were allowed to offer all kinds of incentives to recruit the winners of this category.

And finally, the winners in the adult category earned the title of Glorious Winners. And in addition to the title, they were given the option to participate in the Keizer Knights recruitment tests. The most powerful and prestigious organization under the direct command of the emperor.

Any of the winners in the lower categories was awarded the honor of participating in the next category, even if they did not meet the established age requirements. If someone can win in two categories, the empire would give them an armor and a weapon custom made. If they win in three categories, they will be granted an audience with the emperor and the opportunity to choose one of the relics in the imperial treasury. And if someone was unmatched enough to win in all four categories, they would be admitted to the Keizer Knights immediately.

But it is much easier to win the lottery than to get one of these titles. Almawarth's total population is over 21 billion (21'000'000'000'000) and competition attracts over 98% of the population.

The sponsor of today’s battles, Lord Amgu, had competed two years ago among the 1,000 most powerful young men in the Jagulbud Empire. He was the pride of New Tensis.

Once the presenter finished paying tribute to Lord Amgu, a bell rang indicating that the fight was about to begin.

“At door number one we have a Laigard!”

The metal door that the presenter pointed to opened and a beautiful creature emerged from the darkness.

“Brought from the jungles of Marburkan this ferocious animal is a nimble hunter!”

The audience erupted in applause at the sight of the aquamarine reptilian feline. The animal attempted to return, but the door closed as soon as the creature emerged. The Laigard snuggled against the door, growling, showing its sharp teeth and lifting the colorful membranes on the back of its head that served to indicate that it was poisonous.

“It’s opponent is the hideous creature that children love!”

“Let’s give a big round of applause to the stinking black cloak!”

Door number two opened and a small figure walked out of it.

It was a sturdy goblin one meter tall. He wore leather armor painted the same color as his cloak. His face had large ears and a prominent nose. He had a red hand painted on his face and several earrings and piercings decorating his face. In his left hand, he carried a wooden shield with some metal reinforcements and in his right hand, he carried a spear that would look funny in someone else's hands.

As soon as the goblin entered, the door behind him closed.

“That the strongest one survives!” The presenter shouted at the same time that the bell that started the battle rang for the second time.

Hi!

I hope you liked the chapter

1