Chapter 10 – The Misanthrope I
59 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Quintin knew he couldn't relax for long. When the six wolves had first arrived, they did so with the scars and terrible wounds of a hard, price-filled battle — one battle led to another, only ending when their bodies laid limp and low on the ground. The trees shimmied with delight in the eerie quiet that now seemed to seep into every pore of flesh and bark alike.

His mind spun with thoughts of another creature in pursuit of [Intruder Wolves] or of a sudden breeze carrying the damnation of death on terror-wings from the air. However, these thoughts wouldn't help him to quickly collect his winnings.

Even though that was one of the most brutal fights I've ever been in, I only survived because of my new [Skills] and collected experience. I can't handle another fight right now, I need to hurry and gather what I can.

He made a tight fist to signify his new resolve and acceptance. Having only been on this world for at most a day or two, he was starting to feel like his strength was constantly improving. His mind was sharper because of the system or the constant stimulation of another fight.

I can make this work!

Letting loose a pent up breath, his stomach reminded him of that which he came for. Food or more specifically, these strange [Pinekin].

[Identify].

[Pinekin Fruit] - Fortifier - Long?Lasting
*Mystical fruit that has a sweet and then sour after-taste.
It fortifies and prepares the body and mind for
a long journey.
*Can only be found through need and never want.

My naming sense has a strange hold on these lands, he thought in amusement, if words hold such power then I'll be the [Name-Maker] of Whorrl!

Even though he was on edge, that didn't mean he would work by half-measure or without cheering himself on. He stared at the chitinous body of the [Canopy Spider]; its legs still pinned up in the canopy and a body half-indented into the dirt.

Every second that passed by he couldn't help but think that new enemies were just around the corner. He fought against the notion and his own hunger in order to work smarter, not harder, to gain the most he could in a short window of time.

He created a small groove using his fingers to separate the upper and lower chiton. With that done he slid his hands, palm up and down, inside the opening and pushed in both directions simultaneously. The sound of which evoked a dive-bar as peanuts cracked and began to liter the never clean surroundings — or so he imagined with his eye closed. He opened his eye to the half-split shell filled with gooey strands of pus and sinew still in connection with the blackened ichor from various organs.

A rancid smell wafted out which caused him to quickly pull his hands out and shove the top half to the side. Dry-heaving as he broke a manageable portion from the whole to use as a cart to carry [Pinekin Fruits] and wolf claws back to the brook more easily.  He nodded his head and began to pace around the area collecting fruits and claws as quickly as he could, before placing them all in the three-foot section of chitin to be washed later.

Right before he was about to leave, he took one last look at the award-winning [Pinekin] which sat on a throne of shrubbery. He mockingly-bowed to the gigantic fruit that, unfortunately, was just too big and besides that, too magnificent to approach or waste in his haste.

Good day and good greetings to you, fair Pineking. I take yon subjects to the river for a feast! may we meet again another day, he thought with a smirk that turned into a frown,

I must be delirious or concussed if I'm personifying a fruit, gigantic though it may be.

As he trudged back through the shrubbery and dense vegetation within the valley, he briefly heard rustling from behind and spied movement in the canopy and the now distant copse.

It seems those monstrous spiders do move with enough motivational factors. He shrugged and continued on while his [Sinispere] constantly screened his surroundings.

Show Stats.

HP: 75/310
MP: 0/0
SP: 165/435(535) [100 reserved]
PP: 60/250


Stats: [AP: 25]
Str: 35
Vit: 50
Dex: 35
Wis: 30
Int: 15
Cha: 12
Lck: 2

I should be thinking about how to spend these 25 free points. [STR] seems to be weird in conjunction with my hands. I have no idea how much just having them amplifies my might, given their outrageous ability to crush and dig into things. Until I learn more, I think I'll just focus on the two stats I can understand. More Information: [Vitality] , [Dexterity].

[Vitality] - Main Stat
Dictates overall physical health, [HP], and how much physical
exertion one can accomplish before exhaustion, [SP].
+5[HP] per point.
+10[SP] per point.


[Dexterity] - Main Stat
Dictates how nimble and graceful one's movements are,
how quick-footed and coordinated one's body is with one's
thoughts and the world. The more [DEX], the more easily
complex movements are achieved.
+.2% movement speed, [MS], per 5 points.
+small gains to [Reflex] and [Perception] per 10 points.

So [HP], [SP], and [MS] for the time being. [STR] does increase my damage, but I think I'm alright where I am for now. Maybe a 2:1 [DEX]:[VIT] spread for the time being. I'll save 5[AP] incase of emergency...

Stats: [AP: 5]
...
Vit: 57
Dex: 48 [MS: 1.8% all]
...


Resources:
HP: 100/355
SP: 190/505(605) [100 reserved]
...

By the time he finished fiddling with the [System] and came to that decision, he was back near the brook. The pleasant trickle of water soothed his mind and promised safer times, more half-lidded in nature. Although he could never truly forget that he was in a constant struggle for survival, he also wouldn't choose to be a prisoner to fear and paranoia.

He took his time washing the fruits, claws, and shell with a slight smile while he surveyed the area in an empty calm state.
+***+

Poll didn't close like it was supposed to. forgot to select it I guess.
  • Yes Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes+1 Votes: 2 66.7%
Total voters: 3
1