Chapter 16 – Painful Lessons I
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Quintin and Vissitri were quickly making progress downstream along the brook. He had changed, not only in appearance now that he had new clothing but of mind as well. He had been taken advantage of, lied to, and potentially put in the path of imminent danger, but he couldn't back down — after all, he had decided to let it all fall where it may.

The evening was upon them now, and Vissitri broke the silence, "You know he's a liar, don't you? Not about the plan or the dangers, but everything of pure casualness was."

Quintin took a second to consider what the [Carbuncle] said, stopping he looked down and responded with a quick word.

"Yeah."

There was a lull for a moment before he spoke again, "I also know you played along by extension; why is that?"

Vissitri shifted nervously in place as much an answer as what he said, "Nyathamon has a habit of getting what he wants; I'm no different to you in that."

He paused in his tracks, turned around, and leaped up onto Quintin's shoulder. "In his vast age, he doesn't care so long as he's entertained. I think he treasures memories both acted in and taken..." The [Carbuncle] trailed off after pawing at Quintin's robe in a downcast manner.

No wonder it felt like everything was under his control; Vissitri and I were just extras in his one-man show. Nyathamon could've easily forced me into doing the task for nothing, but he was more interested in being entertained. The fact that there were rewards and he didn't exactly force me makes me feel a little better. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth. I just need to continue growing stronger until one day I can confront him on equal ground.

Half-lost in thought, he dreamily spoke, "Nyathamon became upset with you when you said you were coming with me, that must have been against his expectations — or was that just another part of the act?"

He abruptly realized that Vissitri was no longer on his shoulder and heard the response in his mind. "No, that was real anger. He really wanted to know if I was plotting against him."

Quintin quickly replied, "He's afraid of you negatively impacting his plans, but not me?" As soon as the words left his mouth, he already knew the answer.

As Vissistri spoke, "Well, to be frank with you - you're weak and without connections. It would be the most foolish decision of your life to make an enemy of Nyathamon. We both agree that you are no fool, naive, but no fool — I don't fully understand how someone your age becomes so naive; were you raised by sentient wolves or something?"

Right. I'm weak. At least weaker than them, Quintin thought while clenching his hands.

"And you're... strong, Vissitri? Strong enough to warrant further consideration. It was never in question that I would accept - lest I be a fool unworthy of anything but a swift death." He was feeling the mental strain as he rubbed his temple out of habit, the cold metal still unfamiliar against his skin.

"Si-Si-Si. Naturally, did you think you had a real say that didn't result in us thinking you were either insane or a fool or both?" Vissitri snickered, hopping from branch to branch up ahead.

"It's just that... No, nevermind. I'll continue to learn as time passes. All I can do at the moment is continue to improve. If we come across any monsters you think I can handle along the way, then let me handle them!" Quintin screwed up his resolve, quickening his pace to keep up.

"Si-Si-Si. I wasn't planning to involve myself in the savage and suicidal fighting of those unaware of my presence. Anything too strong for you would feel my aura and avoid us," Vissitri said with apparent amusement as if the idea he would lower himself to fight the weaklings who couldn't even detect his presence was some great joke.

While picking up the pace, Vissitri added, "Si-Si-Si. I'm just along for the ride. I will figure out this mystery behind our connection. It should serve to relieve my boredom. come, let's move faster; we still have a bit more than a day to go before we make it to PanQuil."

***

Quintin had fought [Intruder Wolves] on many occasions now and knew their quirks, at least in so far as it was mating season. He knew they were suicidally reckless when focused and that, even against their better judgment, fought to the last.

He fought them again and again over the course of the day. They seemed to be single-mindedly focused on him every time even with Vissitri taunting them from atop the branches — hovering over them while he made crude gestures down at them.

The fighting hadn't been overly hard, and he had collected a healthy collection of claws and teeth in the process, as well as [Experience] and [Levels]. Of course, they had to rest eventually, even though Quintin could go for quite a while without it; thanks to [Mitochondrial Efficiency], he still became fatigued after a time.

They were nearing PanQuil Caverns, a mining town, and Quintin's destination.

[Intruder Wolves Lv.5-8] x30 defeated.
--6000exp granted.


[Class Level Up +2]!
+10[AP] gained. Free AP: 15
[Nameless Grappler Lv. 10]


[Skills]:
[Compression Grip]: Lv. 3=>4
[Breath of Sudden.]: Lv. 5=>6
[Nameless Grapple]: Lv. 3=>4
[Sinisphere/Envi....]: Lv. 1=>4
[Seven Steps Path.]: Lv. 3=>4
*A new skill can be chosen for reaching [Class: Lv. 10]


*[Choose 1 from these 3 skills]:
1. [Body of Iron]
- Uncommon
- Body Enhancement
- Passive
2. [Pneumatic-Integration: Legs/Feet]
- Unique
- Body Enhancement
- Evolution*
3. [Complex Meditation]
- Rare
- Purifier
- Health & Well-Being
1