Chapter 18 – Painful Lessons III
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They returned to normality with a new understanding of each other. This was the new normal that Quintin was slowly learning to cope with: of suicidal wolves and sinister monsters.

Of painful lessons and even more pain-filled [Levels]...

[Pain Tolerance] Lv. 3=>5

Of his body taking on a subtle metallic luster and purpose.

[Body Augmentations]:
[Pneumatic-Integration: Arms/Hands] Lv. 3
- *Unique*
- Body Enhancement
- Evolution
[Pneumatic-Integration: Legs/Feet] Lv. 1
- *Unique*
- Body Enhancement
- Evolution

Of dubious and danger-filled quests on behalf of a mysterious entity.

[Active Quests]:
*[Nyathamon's Quest]
- Rank: Easy//Extreme
- Subterfuge
1. Complete Nyathamon's task, bring his head to PanQuil's Adventurer's Guild.
2. ???
3. ???
4. Don't die.
[Rewards]: [????]. Complete more parts.

And, of course, there was Vissitri's twisted vision of teaching now.

"In general, the [Leveling] process goes something like this," Vissitri said from a black bough in the treetops as he watched Quintin fight below.

Quintin had an [Intruder Wolf] in a headlock. He used its body to block the swipe from another one. The familiar, sinewy popping sound of a head detaching came shortly after that. A gout of blood, pus, and mucus chased the head, spraying over everything in front.

"Most don't get a choice between [Skills] like you when they reach Level 10 of their [Class]. They usually get one that is a product of what they've been most passionately attempting in that [Level] range," he spoke while poking a claw into the bark and twisted it absently.

The blood spray from the decapitated wolf blinded a [Beta Wolf] in its path. The [Beta] stuffed its face in the dirt to wipe its vision, giving Quintin precious seconds to back-pedal toward another wolf, but stumbled and rolled into a tree headfirst.

[Concussion Damage.
-45HP.
HP: 300/345]

He quickly turned, placed his newly acquired [Pneumatic Feet] against the tree he just headbutted and pushed off with [Seven-Steps]. He arrived at the same wolf's back just as it was starting to turn and charge him.

"That isn't to say there is always no choice. It just depends on the [Rarity] of ones [Status]. The rarer a person's [Status] is the more options and overall usefulness it has in all ways. Summing it up: a person's [Status] is a good indication of their potential and how much they can control their choices," Vissitri said as the battle raged on.

The confused wolf tried to stop and turn on Quintin, but he had already sped behind it. His hands squeezed with a [Compression Grip] on each of its back legs, wrenching the limbs away through the air in a cyclical arc in two directions. One of the legs spun toward the now charging [Beta], the other went into some tall grass at another wolf he saw earlier thanks to [Sinisphere].

The wolf crumpled to the ground and howled as a pain-induced madness overtook it. It started scrabbling with its forelegs in the dirt, trying to gain momentum to turn while gnashing its teeth at him.

"I suppose a good way to look at it is: most people get a [Status] defined as [Common], which comes with very little detailed information given. Whereas others, for a variety of reasons, might get a [Rare] or perhaps even greater [Status]."

Vissitri lazily put his head on his forepaws and narrowed his eyes before he spoke again, "All of which is to say: powerful people become powerful because they are spoiled for choice. They start with an advantage of knowledge others would need to pay thousands and thousands of gold for."

The [Intruder Wolf] with missing back legs wasn't even aware Quintin was gone. It dragged its body weakly through the dirt.

The wolf in the tall grass was hit by the spiraling limb, which knocked teeth out of its mouth and sent it to the ground in a daze. Quintin activated his third [Step] that brought him into the tall grass beside the wolf. He collected the wolf up by the torso and drove it, head first, further into the ground while squeezing.

[Incidental Claw Damage.
-25HP.
HP: 275/345]

The [Beta] leapt into the grass as well, even as Quintin released the coma-wolf and rolled to the side — his [Battle-Robe] made sure he evaded the pounce. He came out of the roll and pivoted with a foot[Step] into an over-head leg chop on the turning [Beta].

[Pressure enhanced Leg Chop.
-20PP PP: 170/250
{Critical Damage!}
-350HP damage.
{Cranial Bleeding}]

Vissitri huffed on his nails and spoke, "From the way your legs... evolved, I would say you had multiple choices since it didn't happen right away when you [Leveled]. Which means you have a powerful tool, Quintin. One that others would give up nearly anything to have."

A final Wolf was lurking in some nearby bushes, which he could see via [Sinisphere]. The poor bastard didn't even know what hit it. He [Grip]-walked up a tree and came crashing down from up above moments later. The wolf took a full hit between the shoulder blades and collapsed in a pile of twitchy limbs and crimson fur.

Quintin stood from the wolf-couch and walked out from the tall grass while brushing himself off. As he scanned the scene, he saw the back-legless wolf weakly drag itself towards him. The long trail of blood behind it signaled its final surrender as it closed its eyes for good.

[Beta Intruder Wolf Lv.11] defeated.
[Intruder Wolves Lv. 5-8] x4 defeated.
--2000exp. granted.


[Class Level Up]!
+5[AP] gained. Free AP: 20
[Nameless Grappler Lv. 11]


[Skills]:
[Compression Grip] Lv. 4=>5
[Nameless Grapple] Lv. 3=>5
[Seven Steps Path.] Lv. 4=>5
[Mitochondrial........] Lv. 3=>4
[Pneumatic-Legs....] Lv. 1=>3
[Pneumatic-Hands..] Lv. 3=>4


[General]:
[Concentration] Lv. 3=>4
[Impact Resist.] Lv. 3=>4

Quintin wiped the sweat from his brow as he regarded the legless wolf. He felt bad for the way he did it in, but ultimately, he was looking for one vs. one contained fights. Unfortunately, his mistake meant he had to improvise.

"These new legs of mine are a bit difficult to get used to; I bet you laughed when I headbutted that tree," Quintin said while putting a palm to his face. He decided to mention it before Vissitri did to lessen the biting commentary.

"Hmm? Did you headbutt a tree? I wasn't watching and wouldn't know if you never told me!" Vissitri feigned ignorance.

Quintin groaned and shook his head before spitting, "Ugh. Remind me next time to keep my mouth shut."

They both laughed. Quintin began to collect teeth and claws.

Unbeknownst to him, another group was slowly approaching.

                          +***+
                     End of Painful Lessons

1