Chapter 19 – Precipice I
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The group had six members, three men, and three women. They stalked through the trees and high grass while receiving signals now and again from another woman farther ahead. It was clear to Ollie that this was a well-organized Adventurer Team, even though this was his first [Contract]. He had seen other, more loose and casual teams growing up; they always came back with fewer and fewer members.

But this was his time to shine now. His gaze turned a bit hazy as he fell behind the group while lost in thoughts, which earned him a stern reminder of what they were doing.

The group leader, Hiks, turned his head in Ollie's direction with a frown. "Rookie! Quit playin' with your straps. If Natalie gives the signal, we all stop and shut up, got it? Get your head outta your ass!"

Another all-clear sign came from ahead as Hiks put a hand on Ollie's shoulder and spoke, "Listen. This is the perfect time to get into the Adventurer game. The [Intruder Wolves] are easy pickins' this time O' year. All you need ta do is listen to me."

Ollie was too embarrassed to talk and merely nodded his head up and down. A woman with a bow and wearing greyish leather armor shared a glance with Hiks before sighing.

She spoke, "Relax, Rookie. Look, if you're worried about the wolves, don't be; the wolves around here are weak ones. See the Drake Grave Mountains around us? They're small compared to others, which attracts weaker wolves."

They had mistaken his shyness and lack of focus for nervousness, which only made him feel more guilty. Hiks gave a quick thumbs-up to the woman, Gina, before clearing his throat.

"True. I remember when I first started Adventurin', Gina hadta tell me everything twice! Mating season, ah! These are the good times." He smirked and gave Gina a wink. She groaned and rolled her eyes.

The last man who had been quiet up til now decided to weigh in, "The real issue comes a month or so later when it ends."

Hiks frowned and whispered, "What are you tryin' ta do Levi? We're talkin' about now..."

"Nothing, nothing. Just wanted to remind you it's not all 'good times,'" Levi said back with a sneer before going back to quiet.

Ollie had no idea what that was all about but did feel better knowing his new team was trying to comfort him.

"I-" he was interrupted by a signal from up ahead. Natalie had spotted something.

***

Natalie watched as her party crept forward after she gave the signal for activity, but no immediate danger. She had always loved nature from a young age. She enjoyed its fresh openness that told everything upfront — if one could see it. However, what she saw now was a scene she had seen many times before. Someone had noticed that openness and subsequently smashed it to pieces.

In a grassy field of sparse tree coverage, about 70 meters ahead, there was a bloodsoaked battlefield. [Intruder] parts were strewn here and there, a huge stain of blood stretched down the middle of the scene ending in a back-legless Wolf — an act of madness, she had no doubt.

Her party slowed and came to a halt behind her as Hiks whisper-spoke, "[Intruder Wolves]? How many?"

Natalie held the edge of her fingers to her neck and made a cutting motion. "Someone or something's already been through, and I don't know if they're still around."

She sensed the greed that came from easy money in two of her team members. In her opinion, these were the most dangerous times, since there was an unknown element — Four living [Intruder Wolves] were at least honest.

"Senti', Levi, this is not the time ta be rubbin' your palms together. This could be worse than not," Hiks said and shot a nod toward Natalie. "What do you think? There anything ta be gained that we can't further along the way?"

"Three, maybe as many as five dead [Intruder Wolves]. Lots of fresh blood, limbs missing. Whatever caused it fights savagely. I can tell there are no signs of feasting. Pelts seem intact if that means anything having said all that," Natalie alluded to her opinion.

Hiks seemed to get what she meant. Something was off; she could tell they both didn't like it.

With a nervous expression and darting eyes, Levi spoke, "I feel danger..." before looking off towards something unseen.

That settled it. With no read on the location or identity of the danger, Natalie led her team back to move around in a different direction. [Intruder Wolves] were not worth that much.

***


Quintin did not notice the group, but Vissitri did. His mental laughter cut off, and he abruptly asked, "Are you prepared to fight and kill your own kind?"

Quintin was stunned but soon went quiet as he thought and then answered, "Of course, if it's necessary. My training has prepared me to defend myself using deadly force. Why do you ask so suddenly?"

Vissitri must know something I don't, he thought.

The [Carbuncle] confirmed his suspicion by leaping onto his shoulder, "There's an [Elf] and a couple [Humans] on their way here. The [Elf] is closer, but soon she'll see us."

Quintin thought deeply as he recalled all the fighting up til now. "Your meaning is they might attack me?"

"It's the law of the jungle out here, in the untamed wilds. Anything you have can just as easily become what they have if things go wrong," Vissitri said dryly. He seemed to get an idea and spoke again, "Do you wanna see what they say and do when they notice this place?"

"How do you mean? I haven't met-" Quintin broke off his speech abruptly before going on, "other [Humans]. I'm a [Vagabond], remember?"

Quintin recalled Oltoi and his Master. He always did the things that needed doing but was realizing of late that he had kept people at a distance. He distracted himself with training much of the time.

Vissitri sternly regarded Quintin but seemed to understand. He mentalized, "I'll put us under my [Aegis of Invisiblity], so we can spy on their discussion and actions."

Quintin nodded his head, half with relief, and the other with curiosity on the differences in mindset between Worlds.

The [Carbuncle] extended a paw out. A shimmer of overlapping pentagons manifested around them as their heads, then bodies, and finally, feet began to meld into the surroundings. Everything seemed as usual, but they were now under the [Aegis of Invisibility]— or so Quintin's [System] told him.

He began to crouch-walk toward the distant area that Vissitri pointed out.

***

Quintin mused about the interaction he had just been a party to as the group of men and women began to backtrack.

Sensible. Rational. But I can imagine a lesser group being pressured by greed like those two. They have a good leader, and [Scout] who were able to control the mood, allowing for clearer heads to prevail.

When the team was out of view, he spoke, "I got the impression that the team was rather experienced and sensible. I probably could've talked with them and settled things."

"True. I have about the same impression, but would you bet your life on it? Once you've decided to interact out in the wild, it's a commitment to fight to the death," Vissitri said and knocked on Quintin's head with a paw.

Quintin's shrug was as much a reply, "Oh, I know that. With foreknowledge, it's easy to talk. When things remain unknown, there is a very real tension. It's like balancing on a knife-edge."

Vissitri mulled over what was said, before exclaiming, "Balancing on a knife-edge! Genius! Are you just acting stupid?" he patted Quintin's shoulder over and over again as if he had just learned a most amusing thing.

"Ah-Haha. It's... just something I've thought of before." he blushed but quickly schooled his reaction. "Now that I've seen people, I'm excited to see a town. Let's go to PanQuil Caverns!"

The emerald-furred excitement slowly dwindled as he spoke, "There are two ways to get into the town. The first way is to go to the precipice. The cliff-face has descending walkways built into it, which allows for traversal down into town."

Vissitri thought for a moment with a scrunchy munchkin-brow, then continued, "The other way is to go through the caves across the river that lead to another entrance. The first allows instant descent, while the other is longer but closer to our current position. The caves can be dangerous, though. Up to you."

Quintin had had enough of fighting for now. He wanted to turn in his [Quest], see the various civilized folk, and see what magic PanQuil held.

"Let's go for the precipice route."

1