Chapter 27 – Fishing III
45 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Quintin started to follow the river up to the cave entrance now that the system was no longer a distraction. Along the way, he kept feeling a presence just out of range of his detection aura, [Sinisphere]. He was mildly annoyed but didn't want to clue whoever it was in that they were revealed until he was sure he could confront them.

If I'm really being followed, I'll just have to wait until they decide to reveal their presence to me, he mused.

He put the thought out of mind as he continued forward, eventually coming upon a well-beaten path that led to the entrance and his first checkpoint. Before long, he was at the mouth of a large cave. Two men who looked like guards lazed about on chairs to the side as Quintin approached.

"H-hail guardsmen. I'm coming from PanQuil to fulfill a contract. Might you tell me where a- um, Cobern's Pickmasters! Do either of you know where their mining operation is?" 

One of the guards blearily regarded Quintin as he took a drink from his canteen. "Down-awaze through the tunnel, to yir right. Keep it goin', afore long you'll see a sign. Can't miz-it."

Quintin bowed graciously and moved to leave while noticing the same [Starmoss] from PanQuil was present here as well.

So much for needing torches, but it could get spotty later on, he thought as he went inside to begin his spelunking session.

He took the first right that presented itself much like the guard had said. It was eerily quiet under the soft blue glow provided by the [Starmoss]. Now and again, he felt a presence from behind as he went on, but every time it would dip away. Quintin was only missing a fishing pole, tackle box, and waders to complete his fisherman disguise— and maybe some new bait, as whatever he had wasn't enough to entice a confrontation as of yet. 

He was just beginning to think he had misheard the guard - drunk or tired as the words had sounded - when he saw a dull wooden signboard staked into the tunnel dirt up ahead.

[Cobern's Pickmasters] 
— Mining Encampment
A Mining company centered on PanQuil Caverns,
but will take a job just about anywhere.

This must be the spot. He took a sharp dip down into a new tunnel access point, and before long was met with a grotesque scene further within.

Entrails from some poor bastard or creature swirled up a large pike set into the ground. On top was the severed head of an [Intruder Wolf] with bones dangling from its neck fur. Someone or something had entwined different pieces of flesh and sinew together with thread to form a finely crafted chime. Blood was collected in a pool in the dirt below. Dried blood trails colored the pike completely. Quintin was more sure than ever that this must be a territory marker for the [Goblins], and that he was in the right place— or at the very least, a position he could fight and kill monsters. 

He stalked with quiet concentration and followed the glowing blue light as it continued to illuminate the passageway. There were many branch paths that broke off from this main one as well. The minutes kept passing, but finally, his [Sinisphere] triggered, and made him aware of two outlined figures in the distance, at an intersection. They were arguing. Their chitter-chatter was broadcast to his current position, hidden around a bend. He switched to [Envision] to [Identify] them.

[Goblin] Lv. 8
— Crafty 
— Hardy 
— Vicious
HP: 125/125 MP: 0/0 SP: 500/500
Always on the move, 
these small Humanoid creatures see many landscapes, 
but few live to make any particular one a home.

Quintin had seen enough from the entrance to know there was no negotiation to be had here. He began by pressing his feet into the ground, taking off a moment later in a sprint towards them with newfound swiftness thanks to his movement [Skill]. The goblins reacted far too late, and it took the form of a choked-out screech.

The [Goblin] who attempted to scream had its neck twisted around twice from a frontal head-grab as Quintin brought the limp and light body crashing into the second, pinning it to the ground under its dead comrade with stars in its eyes. With a brutal stomp, the second went still and breathed no more.

"Hmph." 

Quintin expelled a dense breath as he flexed his arm. The presence from behind was quickly traveling to his position. He turned in place and waited as four people made their appearance about fifteen feet in front.

"Well, well, well. Fancy meeting you here. I guess we both had the same idea." Aarin came forward with a superficial smile and regarded the [Goblins] at Quintin's feet.

"Boys, those look like our [Goblins] right there, don't they? He's standing over them about to steal all our hard work!" He said with a cruel smile as his boys laughed in the background.

Quintin maintained his stance, not even dignifying them with an answer. People like them wouldn't get it until they were dead and buried in the ground. The laughter stopped short, and an uneasiness filled the tunnel with dense foreboding— the script was torn into two pieces.

Aarin snarled and laughed with mockery. "This motha feels like a badass just because his daddy buys him a concealment item, and killed a few [Goblins]?"

Seeing no reaction from Quintin, he rolled his eyes as he took his sword out and said, "Alright then. Gettem' boys!"

Aarin and his pals ran forward with a variety of different weaponry, but as they were about to clash, a shout caused both groups to halt and look to its origin down a side tunnel. 

"[Lightning Charge]!" A shape came bull-rushing from 30 meters away like a freight train. The form of a man in full plate armor stopped at the end of his charge between Aarin's group and Quintin.

Quintin recognized him as the man who had mocked him outside the Adventurer's Guild and wore a symbol of steel swords crossed inside a red circle.

The man was facing the four thieves as he spoke, "The fuck is goin' on here, gentlemen?"

He looked amongst them, and then finally back toward Quintin. The man's eyes went wide, and his brows scrunched up for a moment before he schooled himself. Quintin didn't miss any of it, however, and maintained his calm, ready stance. 

Aarin sloppily tried to explain, "U-uh, we was... that is to say, we were-" He was cut off as the man in full-plate suddenly brought his bastard sword around in a deadly arc, hunting for Quintin's neck.

The man sneered as Quintin brought his hand up to meet the blade and catch it. What met the man's eyes next, however, was not the imagery of a detached hand flying through the air, but his own bastard sword being snapped in half and sailing toward the tunnel wall with a sickening screech.

The four thieving men were briefly stunned and confused but soon broke out of it to come forward and help their newfound ally. However, before they even took a few steps, they were met with a blood spray, and the man wearing full-plate went down like a can of tomato soup, with a big chunk ripped out of his neck.

At that moment, Quintin took shape, his form revealed from behind the falling man, covered in blood. He fired off a projectile that lasered into one of Aarin's men, dead center in his forehead. The others, having seen that, backed up intending to give up, but Quintin was moving forward with a bloodshot eye. 

That was when a wall to the side of them caved outward, and green bodies flooded the tunnel.

                        +***+
                       End of Fishing.

Who do you think is or will be the best fishermen or women?
  • Quintin Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Aarin Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Goblins Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Tobio Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cassida Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 2
1