Chapter 5 – There are Plenty of Fishes in the Water
1.3k 15 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chap 5 - To Hide or to Hype

~•~

The world is filled with mana, a type of energy that can create almost anything; power, miracles and, theoretically speaking, the world itself. In the kingdom of Morinzina, it is known to have monsters roaming and terrorizing it's people around the kingdom's boarders. These monsters are commonly called as demons, and are also made out of mana.

At least, that's what the magic scholars believes.

Tamos, a good friend of mine, inhales and continued speaking, "There are these monsters, demons that kills people! My dad said that if it wasn't for the summoners protecting us, the demons had already eaten us long time ago!"

"My mom loves to tell stories about demons. She said that demons are vicious creatures, evil and corrupted to the point of no return! They only know violence and lived to give terror to people's hearts. Since ancient times, they've destroyed cities and even kingdoms to ruins! And -- and," Tamos pauses, shivers, before continuing,

" -- she said that demons likes to kidnap children at night!"

Tamos leads the way through the mountain path as he kept talking. It is the same mountain I used to frequent (the years when I was still waiting for Prince Ellios), but the path is different as it leads to the wider part of the river and ends to the small falls. Although it was the same river system where I found the baby prince, I was waiting on the deeper part of the mountain.

"The only good thing about the demons is that they don't like to go outside at day time! That's why the adults are letting us kids play in the mountains, see? But there are summoners who keeps these demons away from villages so we are safe even at night!"

The stories he told are common, even my own mom had already attempted to scare me at night with that. Dad is a little bit more knowledgeable, so I come to understand their behavior a little more closely. It's a fact that demons don't like the sun, it kinda reminds me of vampires and some kind of zombie, but base on dad's book, demons look more monstrous and animalistic in nature.

In the original book, demons were rarely talked about, since the setting is mostly focused in the palace and metropolitan, in which the demons couldn't even get near of. Demons were only introduced when Hiyas, the male protagonist, went to the north to defend the boarder against Frelgors, a nomadic tribe native on the wilderness in the north.

There was a scene when the Northern Beast, a demon hibernating for a hundred years, was accidentally woken up by the Frelgors and caused their deaths that ultimately lead to their extinction. The Northern Beast also fixed its eye to the northern boarder so it was eventually confronted by Hiyas.

There were casualties, but it was a splendid and heroic victory by Hiyas. He was known throughout the kingdom, his influence strengthened and.... Let's just say he became a solid candidate for the throne after that.

To think that he was only seventeen years old at that time...

After the first introduction of the demons, there came a casual encounter from them and it's mainly against Hiyas to fight off.

If there is one thing that is common among those demons, aside from being a total ruthless beasts, are their well-known red eyes.

"Where do you think they came from, Tamos?" I asked.

"I don't know! Nobody knows, heck, demons just comes out of nowhere! But, they said that demons came from fire, burned fiercely by the heavens and prisoned at the bottomless pit of hell! Because of their hate to the world, the flames came together, molded into a monster until they take form of a beast! That's why the demons have red eyes, it's said that it's the proof that they came a hellish fire!"

"Oh," I mused quietly.

The comment made me think of what happened two days ago.

~•~

With a pursed lips, I looked down, hiding my eyes from view.

-- Is that how you think of me, Farra-san? I understand, I have unusual eyes. I am different, I'm a freak. But, I want you to know that my parents didn't raise a demon.

I blinked rapidly behind my hair until tears flowed out down to my cheeks.

-- I tried to hide it; my dad was especially worried of me. He knows the consequences of my situation, he is a tāchen after all. After the day of my birth, dad didn't dare tell anyone, and my mom cried all night. But, they still kept me, and raised me well...

-- That's why I stayed away for months. I didn't play with the other kids, I was very afraid that they would find out. But, I'm not perfect...

-- Farra-san, you're my mom's closest friend, and Romas is dad's best friend. I thought, of all the people in the village, you would be the one who will understand the most.

-- Farra-san, my parents aren't demons, and I am not one. I'm... I'm just a bit of a freak, but I am not one of those ruthless beasts.

I cried, my shoulders shook uncontrollably. I was heaving when I declared...

-- I'm still Rai, and I'm not a monster.

After that, I managed to calm down Farra, but she wast still wary of me. Her husband, Romas, came home and she told him about my condition. Unlike his wife, Romas was a bit more understanding. After their talk, they decided to accompany me back to my home, talked to my parents, and everyone agreed that they keep my unusual eyes as a secret. Romas even had to convince Farra for my sake.

Romas and Roldo, my father, had showed their deep friendship, and I decided by then that Romas can be trusted.

When they went back home, Roldo came to me and gently patted my head and said,

"Don't be afraid, dad and mom will protect you. Rai, you're not a monster."

Sena, my mom, hugged me after that.

~•~

"The magikēns! They probably know where the demons are! My father used to say that the magikēns are all knowing, all pursuing!" Tamos suddenly squeals like an excited little fan kid.

"Magikēn? That is..?"

"Rai! Don't you know? They are the esteemed scholars of the kingdom! They are far different from tāchens, since the magikēns are mostly nobles who don't have mana in their body. Ah, but there are magikēns who can summon servants, too! Like the Fryst Magikēn Remis-sama!"

Ah, I remember now. Remis Retero, the honorable teacher of the princess, Eclaire. He only has a few scenes in the book though so his name slipped out of my mind. The book did not mention about the local terms like magikēns though. I assume that these magikēns are the magic scholars I mentioned earlier.

Now that I'm in this world, even if it's originally a novel, it kinda gives a unique taste --- it feels more alive and realistic.

To have a world that has it's own language and terms, it makes me think that this is a real world; not based on a novel, not formed through some author's head.

Heh... interesting.

"Tamos, you sure like the magikēns, don't you?" I said.

He beams, "Of course I do!! They are super smart and super cool! Magikēns studies the art of magic, the mysteries of mana, and naturally they also study the demons too!"

"I heard they are also looking for extraordinary people, even if they're commoners! Ah, I want to be as cool as them!"

After a long walk from the village, we finally arrived at the river on the mountains. Kids our age and others who are younger had already arrived. They're now playing with the water or chasing around each other, while the other older kids have a fishing rod. It's just some kind of stick with a string attached they throw on the river.

"Ah, Tamos-nii is finally here!"

"Rai-nee also came!!!"

Tamos' little three siblings run towards us and happily chirped away. They're like a wild yet harmless whirlwind swallowing us in their endless playful attitude.

Kids are energetic, aren't they?

"I missed you, Rai-nee!"

"Me too, me too! I missed you! You haven't played with us for a long time!"

I chuckled when the two little twin brothers jumped at me, "Sorry, sorry. I was busy assisting my mom at home. I missed you too."

Tamos claps his hand to divert his little brother's attention, "Don't crowd around Rai guys. Yino, Yako, you two should just find some sticks and play somewhere else."

The little twins groaned but they complied, immediately running away. When they're gone, I felt a tug on my shirt and I looked down, only to see Tamos' little sister, Amisa. Amisa quietly stood behind me and her head bowed, but her clutch was strong, as if she wasn't willing to let go. I chuckled before petting her head gently.

Tamos speaks "Uh, sorry about that Rai. Those two never learns." He points out to the group of older kids fishing by the river and adds, "I'll join those guys to fish, so I'll leave you here. That's okay with you?"

"Sure, it's fine. I'm going to look for Pax-nii anyways."

"Pax-niichan should be somewhere around here... Ah, I remember that Pax-niichan's fishing rod broke yesterday, so he's probably out on the woods to find for materials to make a new one. Do you want me to look for him?"

I shake my head, "No need, you should focus on getting yourselves food for your lunch."

Tamos laughs, "Yeah, you're right. See ya!"

"Later..." I watch him jog away, and when he's out of earshot, I looked down again. "Amisa, would you like to join me?"

She nods shyly and I smiled. I took her hand from my shirt to my hand, then lead our way to find a friend.

~•~

"You want me to help you build a fish trap?"

Pax, fourteen year old boy with light brown hair, asked me with his gentle voice. I nodded with a smile.

"Yes, it's not much and just an experiment. If successful, it might take less time to hunt for fishes in the river. Less time, less burden, correct?"

Pax puts down the branch he was shaping for a rod with his knife.

"Well," he thought for awhile but ultimately agreed, "I guess it won't hurt to try and help a friend I haven't seen for months. Besides, I can't just ignore tāchen Roldo's daughter."

"I knew I could rely on you, Pax-nii."

Pax is the youngest son of the village chief, and also the only one who is an literate in their family. He studies under my dad's, and I heard he is diligent as a student, smart and very curious. As a student, he respects my dad more than anyone else.

As a village chief's golden son, he is a good friend to have.

I told him to guide me to the shallower area of the river, where the the water only reaches below the knee. I followed behind Pokano while Amisa, the little girl who kept quiet behind me, silently grasped my hand tighter.

I smiled down at her, "Are you nervous?"

Amisa is just a four year old, and she has been following behind her older brothers since then. Seeing that Tamos and the twins are gone, she might have been feeling exposed to the woods.

Villager kids often come to the mountain to collect sticks for firewood, wild vegetables and fruits to eat, and fish by the river too. Although, they only explore the open areas, mostly at the entrance or near the entrance of the mountains. We were never allowed to go deeper, and nobody would even dare to do so.

Except me, since I did that to catch a royal fish.

Granted, beyond these mountains are the boarders specifically designed by the former ruler (I am not sure who, though), and there are soldiers stationed on those boarders to look out after the demons. There are also three summoners, two of those came from the metropolis and one is a native in the south. All of which are nobles, trained and knowledgeable enough to maintain those walls from getting breached by the demons.

The villagers are not gonna risk it though, since even with the security, there are still previous cases of demon attacks somewhere in these mountains and forests. They were dealt immediately by the summoners, but the damage, death and aftermaths are enough to explain that the south is still not a safe place. It left fear in the people's hearts.

The only good thing is that these demons are asleep at daylight.

I said, "You don't have to worry, I'm here. I won't leave you, ok?"

Amisa stares straight at me, as if searching for my eyes that are kept hidden behind the locks of my hair. I put a smile before petting down her head, gently forcing her to look down.

"There's nothing to be scared about, Amisa."

"The two of you are still as close as before." Pax turns his head around and smiles at Amisa, "Amisa, you don't have to worry. Your onee-san is smart, she's the daughter of tāchen Roldo remember? When there's danger, you can rely on her."

"And we can rely on your strength."

"That, too." We giggled lightly after that.

After arriving, I told him to collect rocks around the area. I was planning to build a trap with sticks, but since the river floor was rocky, I deemed it to be useless. A fish trap called 'fishing weir' can also be made with only rocks.

I guided Pax to make a 'M' shape with the rocks to act as the wall, leaving a one foot opening on the sharp middle of 'M'. It's where the fishes would swim in and trap them there. Of course, I helped as well. We put the hole against the current so that the fishes can go in easily.

"Is that all?" Pax asks as we step out of the shallow.

"Yes, now all we have to do is wait and see."

"That sounds easy enough." He said, patting me on my shoulder before smiling.

I stood still, staring at the trap we just finished making. I was wondering if this will be enough. Even if I don't know its probability of getting a catch, it is still an effective trap.

But...

"Rai-chan," Pax suddenly pats my shoulder and called out worriedly.

I didn't look up for he is too close. Instead, I sighed inwardly. "Pax-nii,"

He hums,"Yes?"

"When was the last time a demon attacked the village?"

"A demon attack?" He sounds surprised, "Uhm, it's not that I don't know, but why did you suddenly ask? Is there a problem? You're worrying me..."

Taking a long breath, I told him that we should sit down. Amisa clinged onto my arm, looking down, while I pet her hair gently. Pokano sat opposite us, waiting for me to speak.

"Pax-nii, you are the village chief's youngest son, the literate of your family and most importantly, you're my father's brightest student. Dad speaks highly of you, and says that you have a bright future..."

He chuckles, "I think this is enough flattering, Rai-chan."

I smiled, "Actually, there is a favor I want to ask of you."

I blinked a few times, wiped the bridge of my nose with my right hand, before pushing the hair that covers my eyes.

"I'm listening..."

He says lightly at first, but when he gazes into my eyes, he quickly froze. He stared still, not moving, and I took that opportunity to speak.

"I need everyone in the village to accept me, and for that to happen, I need a distraction to make it smooth and peaceful." I spoke with a light tone.

"Pax-nii is a good lad, and I hope you will lend me a hand not only for my sake, but also for my dad --- tāchen Roldo's reputation. It'll be in your best interest to work with me."

Without the certificate signed by a tāchen that proves a student's learning years and graduation, he wouldn't be able to attend the academy in the southern capital and become a fully fledged official.

Somewhere on the line, I somehow slipped my old speaking and thinking habits for when I was still the twenty seven year old Rai from Earth.

This wouldn't be good, I need a few more years and height so people wouldn't think weirdly of me.

Fortunately, Pax has a more carefree and positive views.

____

A/N: I am still alive!!! And I have plenty of excuses for when I skipped an update last Tuesday.

1) I got lazy!

2) I kinda had a mental block

3) I'm lazy

4) I had to re-edit the chapter to skip fillers (and hopefully I did it right (question mark?))

5) I'm just absolutely lazy!!!

6) and most importantly, there was a typhoon recently and the electricity got cut out as well as the signal so it was a stressful time for me.

Hopefully I can put myself back together, stop being lazy, and produce a goddamn chapter! On the bright side, I already planned out the half of the next chapter, and the rest of the story. All I need to do is to put something in between those.

THANK YOU FOR READING!!!!

48