68
249 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the day of the immortal sword domain opening, she joined Lei huojin, Tan fu and the other sword tower leaders in the centre of the sect. At the appointed time, the elders led them across the bridge to the sword mountain sect where the entrance to the mystical domain was located. Meixiu had filled her in on why the domain was opening in this particular year. Apparently, it all traced back to Shen duyi attaining true insight at the wall. It didn't surprise her. 

The immortal sword domain contained the legacies and heritages of sword masters of the past. It was overseen by a council from different sword sects in the Wei empire and the only time the domain could be opened was when a talented student appeared in a sect. All member sects were given a small student quota of five to fifteen students at best, but it couldn't compare to the quota given to the sect behind the event. There were a hundred students each from the sword mountain and sword river sects. Their numbers dwarfed their outsiders who waited humbly to the side for them to pass. 

Bai li yue's group crossed the bridge and arrived in the sword mountain sect. This was her first time coming here after the entrance exam. She looked around as more students walked to the centre of the sect. The sword mountain sect was different from the more modern sword river sect. Instead of buildings, there were caves hewn into the sides of the mountains. It reminded her of a town of caves. 

Lei huojin and Tan fu engaged the group in a lively contest of one upmanship. They ended up convincing her to bet on who would return with a better legacy when they couldn't reach a consensus. The number two and three leaders, fairy dawnlight on the river and daoist red sword made a bet of their own. The effect rippled through their group until she had a hard time remembering who had made a bet with whom. Tan fu had three bets going against different leaders with hundreds of points each, on the line.

Her senses prickled as she felt a pair of eyes on her. Acting naturally, she turned around to meet the laughing eyes of a familiar face. She'd dealt with the sister and the brother was now rearing to have a go. The boy winked at her and disappeared into the crowd. 

'As long as he doesn't touch me, i'll leave him in peace.' 

She muttered to herself with an indifferent expression and turned back to the group. The bets were in full swing. They tried to drag her in but she cried off. She was still at a level where losing fifty points would seriously break her heart. 

The crowd of about three hundred students fell silent when the elders arrived. Various elders from outside sects joined them to prepare for the opening. The sect leader of the sword river sect, the same man who she'd last seen during the entrance exam walked down an invisible stairway flanked by two ancient looking men. As usual, he knew how to make an entrance. In the air above them stood a man she hadn't seen before. He also had two ancient men standing behind him. His crest clearly showed he was from the sword mountain sect. The second group flew down and exchanged greetings before the sect leader of sword mountain stepped forward and spoke in a deep booming voice. 

'Today, the immortal sword domain opens for the first time in seventy years. During the half year you spend inside, many will be those who discover the treasures and legacies left behind by those who've gone before us. Your luck will determine your rewards. As the organiser, my sword heaven sect has only one rule. No killing. Nobody is allowed to take away someone's rewards through murder. All offenders will be severely punished. I hope all sects will respectfully accept our wish.'

'We accept.'

All the outside sects echoed the first sentiment. The ancient elders positioned themselves around the two sect leaders. They each produced a key that slotted into the stone platform they were on. With their combined strength the six of them turned the two keys in unison. A ripple filled the air as a dark portal took shape in front of them. 

The sect leader of the sword river sect gave a final warning to the all students who looked anxiously into the void. They were all eager to be on their way.

'The immortal sword domain is a dangerous place. The void leading to it poses a great danger to even sages. Do not leave the golden platform until it arrives if you value your life. I wish you all the best.'

The students cheered and rushed forward to stand in front of the waiting platforms.

Bai li yue said goodbye to the group and went her way. They all agreed to collaborate with her if their paths crossed inside the domain as they all went their separate ways. Thirty students were led onto golden platforms hovering in the dark void. She happened to join a platform ferrying mostly outsiders. The platform set off after the first wave of platforms. 

The elder in charge of the platform dedicated his attention to keeping the platform stable. A brief lack of attention would have serious consequences in the current environment. 

Bai li yue recalled the time she'd travelled through the void. She'd been abducted from her home on earth by a crazy cultivator who intended to suck her dry of the death energy generated in her body. They'd met a void lizard which attacked the cultivator. It had indirectly saved her from a lifetime of suffering. This void, however, was different. It didn't feel as large as the other one. Although she couldn't see too far ahead of her, she could sense that this void was limited in size. The journey was uneventful and Bai li yue barely stifled a yawn. 

They'd travelled for hours, though it felt like days in the blackness of the void. The elder controlling the platform deftly navigated the dangerous zones they encountered. They hadn't come across any beasts but the danger of those zones came in the form of void squalls: windstorms that dissimulated invisible blades formed from void energy.   

Phaah!

A moment later, Bai li yue's yawn ended in a scream. The palm attack came out of the blue- without warning. It hit her in the back and sent her careening off the platform. One minute she was dying of boredom on the platform and the next, she was falling into the void. 

Bai li yue's brain caught up with the situation as her hands tried to find purchase.

Someone had pushed her!

Down below the void blades whirred to life sensing movement. There was nothing to grab on to. No way to stop her fall so she fell. Down.

Further down.

When the blades came, she cursed her attacker. The twins. The male one. It had to be him. 

'if I survive, I'm going to kill him! Kill him!'

She did her best to protect herself but apart from curling into a ball, there was little she could do while falling. The void blades followed her descent. 

Whirrrrrr…

Aaaargh!!!

They slashed her robe into ribbons and went to work on her body. Thin cuts seeping blood appeared with every slash of a blade. She felt each cut in her soul.

Aaaaaarhhghh!!

Was that her screaming? Bai li yue woke up wondering to herself. She remembered losing consciousness, but the pain persisted. It was what had woken her when she didn't know who she was. She no longer avoided the blades, wishing they'd come quickly to end her suffering. 

A! A!

No sound came out. She'd lost her voice some time ago, but her mind was still screaming in pain. 

Whirrrrr...

She welcomed the darkness with open arms when it came. 

Maybe this time would be forever. 

7