73
289 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She arrived at the crowded venue just before daybreak. She saw Tan fu waiting for the appointed time. Soon after, shen duyi arrived accompanied by an entourage. He looked for all the world like he was attending to a trivial matter. It put him in stark contrast to Tan fu's solemn demeanor. She'd intended to intervene and stop the fight, but she held herself back upon seeing Shen duyi's self assurance. 

The two young men stepped forward as the crowd waited with baited breath. 

Woosh.

They sprang into action. The metal of their swords rang out in the clearing in a brief but violent exchange, before they broke apart. 

Ding! Dinding!

They met in another exchange of parries and attacks that left them on equal footing. 

Shen duyi broke off mid strike and changed his stance, his aura changing abruptly. It was a rolling wave that threatened to crush everything in its path. That wave headed right for Tan fu who retreated to a safe distance and countered it with his own aura. It let out a loud roar and crashed into the wave. The two auras exploded and nullified each other. 

Bboom!

The spectators moved back as the wave of hot air reached them.

Tan fu deserved his position on the leaderboard. His skill with the sword was firm and domineering. He met Shen duyi with that same self assurance. He didn't back down in front of Shen duyi's manifested meteor sword storm. Instead, he released a blast of ice crystals projectiles that blocked the falling swords. They started another exchange when the martial skill bout ended.

It wasn't difficult for a perceptive person to see where the duel was headed. The two fighters had left the middle of the field a while ago. Tan fu was forcing Shen duyi back. It was not yet obvious to the crowds, but it continued, he would push him until there was no retreating. Then and only then, would he unleash his full strength. It was a brilliant move that she could see working. Bai li yue knew what Tan fu was planning. He valued Lei huojin who was more like a… brother than a friend. 

She was running out of time. If Tan fu cut off Shen duyi's arm in retaliation, he'd be as good as dead. She condensed several orbs of light as she inched around the rowdy crowd. Once she was in running distance of the two duellists and the orbs had reached strategic positions, she let them fall and sent the order.

She had only the space of a few seconds to distract everyone and prevent a catastrophic event. 

Explode.

The inconspicuous light orbs exploded above them, washing the field with blinding light. In the next moment, she clapped her hand on someone's shoulder and sped off into the distance with that person in tow. When the crowd regained their sight, there was only one person left. Tan fu and the crowd glanced at the empty space in confusion.

Elsewhere Bai li yue stood in a secluded cave watching Shen duyi who was regaining his sight. He stared at her in surprise.

'Are you the one who did this?' 

He finally asked. 

Bai li yue nodded. She'd expected anger or something close to it. People didn't take well to being interrupted in the middle of a fight. They particularly didn't respond kindly if it meant they lost by disappearing. All in all, he was taking the situation well considering the fact that Tan fu would be considered the winner. 

'I hope you don't mind the interruption.'

She said. 

Shen duyi shrugged unconcerned.

'He had me cornered. I might have won if I used another vicious attack, but that would be more trouble for me to handle.'

'Can I ask why you did that to Lei huojin?'

'He coveted what was mine. It made me angry. While I don't regret my actions, I see now that I could have used less violent means to achieve the same result. I'll repair the damage I've done, once we return to the sect. I promise.'

Bai li yue didn't answer. She wasn't okay with what he'd done. To anyone losing an arm was a minor problem, but to a swordsman, it was more or less a death sentence. In the end she'd followed her gut and helped Shen duyi for Meixiu's sake, but she wished she could have arrived earlier to stop the first duel. 

'How do you intend to repair…?'

She sighed and stopped asking about reparations. Lei huojin was her friend, she wasn't his keeper. He'd fought and lost and had been unfortunate enough to pay a steep price. But she couldn't hold it against Shen duyi. When fighting for resources and treasure, not losing one's life was a bonus. 

'I'll pass your message along to Lei huojin when i see him. On another topic, as Meixiu's friend, i want to thank you for looking for me. I have repaid your kindness by helping you retain your arm.'

Shen duyi smiled in acknowledgement. She had noticed his bleeding arm where Tan fu's sword had stabbed him. He had erred in dodging lightning fast sword. If she hadn't intervened when she did, he would really have lost his arm.

'Thank you, li- Bai li yue. Let's return to my camp. I need to heal. You can stay with me until the domain closes.'

'No thanks. I have to go and see Lei huojin.'

'That's okay. At least, promise that you'll stay by my side when we leave this place.'

She sighed. He must truly like Meixiu for him to expend so much effort on her safety. She could take care of herself, but why not. This will give him an excuse to endear himself further to Meixiu.

'Okay. I'll go with you. Be well, Shen duyi.'

She turned around and left eager to meet up with Tan fu. 

She'd already spent too much time talking to Shen duyi. Hopefully Tan fu was still around and could take her to Lei huojin. Bai li yue found him lounging under a tree when she returned. 

7