88
389 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The streets of the Sword river sect were deserted when she returned. Using her senses, she located Hu an's courtyard in no time. The courtyard had a tall tree within its wall and Hu an was sitting on one of the branches looking outside. She jumped down when she saw Bai li yue appear out of thin air and pulled her inside quickly before a patrol returned. She took in Bai li yue's bloody garb and shook her head in wonder.

"I have to give it to you, Bai li yue. You're really making a statement."

Bai li yue ignored the comment. She wasn't here to make small talk.

"Your brother is dead, as promised."

"Really? Hu qi… is dead?"

Hu an asked for confirmation. Was she regretting? But Bai li yue stopped questioning her eyes when she saw a smile blossom on Hu an's face a moment later.

"I have no reason to lie."

"Thank you, Bai li yue. You really came through for me. Remind me never to piss you off."

She added.

"You know this means that you have to run. The sect will not let you go free after what you've done."

"When i'm done."

"Do you mean: Shen duyi? That's madness! Then they'll chase you for the rest of your life. You'll forever be a fugitive if you kill him."

"It is something I have to do."

Hu an sighed. Bai li yue had gone through all this trouble to make a statement. There was no way she could be convinced to stop now. 

"I understand. You must leave as soon as you are done. I don't think we'll meet again, so take this. It will take you at least five hundred miles from this place. Go into hiding; somewhere where nobody would think to look."

Bai li yue looked at the amulet Hu an passed to her. It was a teleportation amulet from the looks of it.

Thinking that Bai li yue was about to refuse, she quickly lied.

"Take it. I have more where that came from."

Bai li yue looked at the amulet again. It was a legitimate teleportation amulet. The first she'd seen in this world. It would aid in her escape once she was done. Hu an breathed a sigh of relief when Bai li yue pocketed it and turned to leave. After a brief moment of hesitation, she added.

"Bai li yue, later on, if you really have nowhere to go, come and find me. I'll be in the Eternal springs city. Ask for the third lord of the eternal valley clan. I'll return today's favour no matter the cost."

She didn't regret making the promise. If anything, she engraved her promise in her heart. Lords of the eternal valley clan were forbidden from such impulsive acts but to hell with them. Hu qi was dead, she might as well break another law. Of course, Bai li yue would have to live through today and survive the wrath of the sect until that day arrived.

Bai li yue heard Hu an's final words and felt a slight twinge in her heart. Friendship. Goodwill. She'd forgotten what it felt like. She didn't know if she'd ever open herself again like that to another person.

"The shield will hold for a decade. If you wish to leave now, I can let you out."

Hu an did a quick calculation in her mind and shook her head.

"I'll stay. It'll be too late for those bastards to find a replacement for Hu qi by the time I leave."

"If you are sure. Then stay."

She slipped out of the courtyard and disappeared into thin air. 

"Goodbye, Bai li yue."

Hu an whispered and then up. Hu qi was dead. She didn't feel anything. As for sorrow: her hatred for her brother was steeped in her bones. She couldn't remember a time when they'd been simply brother and sister.

"Hu qi, if you had just given up, it wouldn't have come to this. I might have found a way to stop her and save your miserable life."

She sighed. 

As for joy, she had no time to wallow in her victory. It was one more victory in the coming war. The second lord had fallen. Her sight was already on the first lord.

"I wonder how my elder brother is doing?"

The last known sighting of her elder brother was somewhere in the Tang kingdom. He was the clan favorite but Hu an wasn't worried. She had one less rival for the blessing of the clan guardian spirit and a lot of time to prepare. 

Outside, Bai li yue used the note she'd given to the guard as a beacon and located Shen duyi's position. He was already back in the Dawn courtyard. By now he must have seen her handiwork. Since he was there, he won't be leaving anytime soon. She activated the barrier around the Dawn courtyard and turned a corner, heading to another area of the inner sect. 

"Tang Meixiu. Are you ready for me?"

Inside her courtyard, Meixiu shivered. Her pacing increased as worry nibbled at her mind. She couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Her danger senses were tingling since the first explosion and it was getting harder to sit still.

The only person she'd offended in recent memory was Bai li yue and she was currently just an ordinary person. A simple swat would be more than enough to handle her. She wasn't a threat at the moment. So why did she feel like this? She felt out of breath, scared. It was like any minute now, she would be breathing her last. The wind blew behind her.

Swish!

She whirled around, sword drawn. There was nothing there. Her mind was playing games with her. 

"Meixiu, relax!"

The atmosphere in the sect had to be what was affecting her.

Just when she breathed a sigh of relief, Bai li yue's cold voice came from behind her.

"I should give you points for being nervous. At least you are aware of your imminent end."

10