CK 2: 2 Jiang Weizhe: The journey of the migratory birds 2
104 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Xu clan residence was located in the Three leaf district of the city. If he hurried, he could join his parents for supper. He was entering the clan road when he met a small group coming the other way from the Xu clan main residence. 

"Young master Xu! Young master Xu! Welcome back!"

Servants greeted him as he rode closer to the two men. They were his older and younger uncles: Xu Chueng and Xu Guanli.

"Shirong greets uncles."

"Ah Shirong, you have returned! Just in time for the wedding too! Your mother was beginning to worry."

"I got delayed. Uncles, I'll leave you to your business then. I want to greet my parents before they retire for the night."

"Why not do that in the morning? Accompany us to the Three leaf plaza. You just arrived so you might not be aware of the news. Jiang Weizhe, Sovereign Three leaf's last disciple has advanced to the sage realm. We are on our way to attend the celebratory feast held in his honour and offer him congratulatory gifts. This will be your duty in a few years so you should start learning now."

Xu Chueng nodded, agreeing with his older brother's words.

'If you insist, then I will not refuse.'

"Good! Onward!"

Xu Shirong joined them as they made their way toward the Three leaf plaza and the ziggurat where the feast was being held.  

"Uncle, I have been away from the clan for some time. Is the clan doing well?"

"If I remember correctly you've been gone for how long? Two years?"

"It'll be exactly two years next month."

"The clan is well. The Fan and Du clans took control of some of our key shops in the main market during the time you were away. Your grandmother complained to the Three leaf plaza managers, but we've had no luck till date. We have suspected for a while now that most of the plaza managers are in their pocket. If we can get an audience with Jiang weizhe tonight, then he can hopefully resolve the situation before he returns to seclusion. If he does not intercede then our Xu clan won't have a way out."

Xu Shirong's thoughts turned maudlin. In the time he'd been gone, the clan had faced tough times without him knowing. He resolved to do everything in his power to assist his uncles.

"Those Fan and Du clans have always had it out for us. Uncles, now that I have returned, I will do my part to help out."

"Xu Chueng, see what your big mouth has caused? Our nephew just returned home and you've already burdened him with affairs that he's too young to be involved in. Shirong, there's no need for you to worry. The Ji clan tried destroying us, but we all know what happened to them. They snuck out of the city in the middle of the night."

Xu Guanli admonished his younger brother and comforted his nephew in the same breath. Xu Chueng nodded.

"That's true. Shirong, I put too much on your mind. I'm sorry."

Wishing to correct his earlier mistake, he filled Shirong in on family gossip as they neared the plaza.

"Triplets? Is cousin Yunru okay now? I must pay her a visit then."

"Your grandmother was over the moon. It has been over a month now since their birth, but she still has a smile on her face. When you get married, you'll have to work very hard. Your grandmother won't be satisfied with anything less than quadruplets."

They laughed at their nephew's discomfort and continued teasing him until they arrived at the busy gates of the ziggurat standing in the centre of the plaza. 

They quickly made their way inside to the feasting hall. The feast was already underway. The hall was filled with guests from and beyond the city come to congratulate the new sage. 

Their seats were located between the Du and Fan clans who abruptly ended their conversation when the Xu clan made its entrance. 

The Fan clan had several young ladies each prettier than the next seated in their clan area. Xu Shirong noticed another group of young ladies in the Du clan area. One might think this was a marriage market instead of a feast.

"Uncle, did we miss something? Should I run back to the clan and invite our clan's beauties too?"

"Ignore them. They want to use beauty to entice the new sage. He wouldn't have reached this stage if he was so easily seduced."

Xu Guanli took a seat, not bothering with greeting those from either clan. But even if you ignore a rabid dog, that doesn't mean that it will ignore you too. The Du and Fan clans exchanged conniving looks and began conversing from across the tables. 

"Hey Du mi, I heard your son is getting married soon."

One of the guests on the Fan clan side asked the Du mi, the Du clan matroness leading the Dus.

"You heard right. It's a girl from the Liang clan. Xu Guanli should know her. Her name is Liang mei. We went to ask for her hand in marriage. They didn't refuse our offer so we are still discussing it."

Xu Shirong tensed at the name. Liang mei was his future bride. 

"Eh! Isn't that Xu Shirong over there? What are you doing here? Didn't you run off with another woman? I'm sure Liang mei has heard it by now."

Du mi addressed him, her twisted smile unable to mask the falsities dripping from her lips. Xu shirong unclenched his fist. He only now realised that they were just goading him so he'd make a fool of himself. He had almost fallen for their ruse. 

Seeing that their words didn't have the desired effect, they quickly lost interest in Xu Shirong and moved to taunting his uncles with questions pertaining to the Xu clan stores in the market and their continued existence. The two uncles and their nephew ignored them in favour of the wine and fruits laid out on their table. A troupe of musicians and dancers entertained the guests while they waited for the guest of honour to grace them with his presence. 

Soon, a flurry of activity preceded Jiang weizhe's entrance. A wave of excitement spread through the groups of young ladies who straightened their robes and propped themselves up like beauties about to welcome a suitor.

"Jiang weizhe, the Sage three carp!"

A sonorous voice announced the new sage as the door swung open. A man with greying temples walked through the open doors and slowly walked to the seat of honour. The guests were already standing, waiting to greet him.

"Greetings and felicitations to Sage Three carp!" 

They showed him reverence and returned to their seats when he gave them leave to do so. 

"You have all taken the time from your busy schedules to gather to congratulate my teacher and myself. We thank you for your consideration. Food and drinks have been provided. Please enjoy."

The room had grown quiet to catch his words delivered in a low husky voice of one unaccustomed to speaking for long. A chord struck, music started to play and the dancers returned to their choreography with renewed verve when the speech ended. The greeting was over and the guests were free to go back to their revelry. 

The gift giving started with those closest to the seat of honour. Attendants would accept the gifts on trays and bring them to the sage for a closer look. He'd offer his thanks before the gift was placed to the side. The gift giving proceeded from table to table following a similar rule of thumb. There were medicinal herbs, cultivation pills, the rare manual containing a cultivation art or martial skill. All the gifts so far were linked in some way to cultivation and his thanks soon became perfunctory. The audience also quickly lost interest after the nth number of medicinal herbs was presented. 

The only time Jiang weizhe perked up was when he received a blue silver crown from the Treasure pavilion representative. His smile warmed up for a while but he assumed his cool demeanor once more when the gifts returned to the former pattern. Several guests as well as the three clans noticed his lukewarm response to the gifts and filed the knowledge away for use at a later date. 

In a whisper, Shirong asked his uncle Chueng about the gift they had prepared.

"We brought a thousand year rainbow fruit."

Xu Chueng whispered back.

Under normal circumstances, a rainbow fruit would be an impressive gift. A thousand year rainbow fruit could open numerous prestigious doors. Unfortunately, the Three leaf plaza was not one such place. 

Showing their desperation, the Fan clan chose one of their beauties to present their gift. Bypassing the waiting attendant and walking with a shy expression to where Jiang weizhe sat, the beauty known as Fan Mingshu bowed low, displaying a seductive innocence that drew many gazes. 

"Your excellency, please accept this gift from the Fan clan. It is but a small token of our appreciation."

She presented a wrinkled black mushroom that elicited surprise from the gathering.

"So that is where the thousand year marrow cleansing mushroom went."

Xu Guanli mused glancing at the smug looking Fan Tangshi. 

Du mi frowned. She had gone to the Treasures pavilion to buy the marrow cleansing mushroom, but it had already been sold to someone. After much debate, she'd settled for something else. She snapped a finger at one of the girls from the clan.

"Yanzi, what are you waiting for?"

The beauty, Yanzi grinned.

"Auntie, leave it to me."

She picked up a medium sized wooden box and stood up. The move drew many looks. The hall quieted. There was always drama whenever the three clans were present in the same place.

If the Fan clan beauty was pure snow, Yanzi was a sultry temptress. One gleamed with coy innocence and the other bold desire. Her hair fell over her shoulders like tumbling waves that promised passion and heated nights. She also ignored the waiting attendant and sashayed toward Jiang weizhe's position.

Just as she passed by Fan Mingshu, she intentionally stumbled and fell. Her body was sprawled in an indolent position. She lay on the floor in a jumble of cloth and limbs that further inflamed the mind. 

Du mi beamed with pride seeing Jiang weizhe leave his seat to help Yanzi to her feet while his gaze surreptitiously roved over her body. If her move hadn't been pulled in front of a hall of guests, Du mi would have applauded Yanzi. But as it stood, she was bordering on impropriety. Du mi hid her smile behind a paper fan and hoped that Yanzi didn't overdo it. 

Thankfully the debacle ended. Yanzi presented the Du clan gift to Jiang weizhe with an inviting smile and a wink. He returned her smile with an indulgent smile.

"The Du clan have always been renowned for the beauty of their womenfolk. Today, I've seen that the words are not mere talk."

Du mi bowed, accepting the compliment. She poured a cup of wine for Yanzi who smiled, confident in herself. 

Fan tangshi wasn't happy being defeated. Both clans had used the same honey pot but the Du clan honey turned out to be sweeter. Even now, Jiang weizhe's gaze returned to the Du clan beauty. He glanced angrily at his niece for her failure. She ducked her head timidly. Her action sparked regret in his heart. Why blame her? She'd already done as he asked. Was it her fault that her progress had been halted by the appearance of a Du clan succubus? 

He poured her a consolatory cup and patted her gently on the back. There was no cure for regret. He would look past this moment. As long as their clan wasn't beaten by the Xu clan, he will be okay with tonight's results. He looked over at the Xu clan members. Xu Guanli was taking his time handing the gift to the attendant.

"Xu Guanli, why are you wasting time? We all agreed to allow the younger generation to present our gifts. Do you wish to make us look bad?"

He spun a tale out of thin air that Du mi was quick to confirm.

"Or is it because the Xu clan doesn't have anybody?"

Their words had already attracted attention. This wasn't the place or time for Xu Guanli to call them out on their lies. He knew his hands were tied.

"Uncle let me do it. I won't let the clan down."

"Mhm. Do your best."

Xu shirong stepped forward carrying a small wooden box. He knew how important this small gift was to his clan so he couldn't afford to mess it up. However, Jiang weizhe's reaction was tepid to all the gifts except for the few that stood out. He didn't care for more cultivation resources. This was the Three leaf plaza after all. They didn't lack cultivation resources. Shirong made a quick judgement based on the little information he had and gave a silent apology to his future bride. He hoped his decision was for the best. 

"Your excellency! Our Xu clan has prepared a thousand year rainbow fruit as a congratulatory gift."

"Is that so?"

Jiang weizhe responded with his usual aplomb. Shirong smiled. He had made the right decision.

"Your excellency. I returned home today after two years away. I rushed back as quickly as I could because I am getting married in a week's time."

"Congratulations, young man! I have never been married myself, but I hope you keep the Wise Queen's teachings in mind. Respect. Compromise. Communicate. Kindness. Treat your wife as an equal not a servant."

Jiang weizhe counselled Xu Shirong like an elder advising another of the younger generation.

The guests exchanged puzzled looks. Wasn't this Sage Three carp's celebratory feast? Why is this Xu clan boy talking about himself? Wasn't he being disrespectful to the Three leaf plaza?

Xu Chueng and Xu Guanli were also wondering why their nephew was talking about himself instead of giving the sage the gift.

"Thank you for the well wishes, your excellency."

He bowed and then appeared to weigh his next words.

"Your excellency, as I told you, I returned in a great haste. Therefore I couldn't get a suitable wedding present for my future bride."

"Go on. I'm listening."

Jiang weizhe wasn't the only one listening. Everyone in attendance was all ears: from the guests to the servants. Everyone was keen to know where he was taking the conversation.

Xu shirong cleared his throat.

"Your- your excellency, I mean you no offense, but you've received a great many gifts today. Do you really need this rainbow fruit too?"

"Is he refusing to give the sage the gift they brought?"

"What is the Xu clan up to?"

"How audacious! Bringing food to a person's mouth and refusing to put it into their mouth."

No, this is bringing food to a person's mouth and asking if they want to eat."

Everyone was eager to remark on the issue. The whole city will know of this by morning. Xu Chueng and Xu Guanli shook their heads. 

"What is wrong with this nephew of ours? Did the two years away addle his brain?"

"Shirong isn't this foolish. He must have something in mind."

Xu Guanli stated. 

"Are you saying that we should allow him to go on?"

"I don't think he can do anything worse than he's already done."

Xu Guanli concluded.

Jiang weizhe raised a hand and silenced the excited hall of people.

"I don't need a rainbow fruit."

"Then can I keep it?"

Xu Guanli now knew that he had spoken too soon when he heard his nephew's cheery  words. Shouts of outrage rang out and Jiang weizhe silenced them again.

"Since you couldn't buy a gift for her, consider this as my gift to you both. Your bride is a very lucky woman."

"Oh!"

"Oh?" 

"Did he just say oh?!"

"What did I miss? I went to answer nature's call." 

"The Xu clan is done for. Done for!" 

"This is my first time seeing a loose tongue that can bring down a nation."

The Du and Fan clans were content to sit and watch the disaster. 

Jiang weizhe looked at the table with the rest of the Xu clan members. None of them looked ready to stop the young man in front of him from digging a hole he couldn't get out of.

"Thank you for your kindness, your excellency. The clan used up most of its resources to acquire this fruit for you so I can not in good conscience give it to my beloved. I hope your excellency understands."

Jiang weizhe wasn't a fool. The three leaf district was the most prosperous district in the holy cultivation city, but it was also the least regulated. His master and himself were too focused on their cultivation to direct the affairs of the district. Instead, they left things in the hands of several managers.There was no way the Xu clan could be that poor. The young man hasn't said much, but what he'd said was enough for the wise to deduce meaning. The Xu clan was protesting through the young man. It meant that it was a problem they couldn't solve on their own. It also meant that the trouble originated from their end. If he hadn't left seclusion to attend the feast, would he have known of this problem before it was too late? His master would have felt great for not keeping his word to a clan that had done him a great favour in the youth.

"I didn't know the Xu clan had fallen on hard times. A decade ago, the Xu clan was the leader of the three clans in the Three leaf district. I remember your clan head: hardworking and wise beyond her years. I will look into the matter."

Du mi and Dan tangshi knew Jiang weizhe would investigate the matter and find the culprits. Fortunately, they were the prominent clans of the district. Any punishment would equate to a slap on the wrists. Xu shirong gave Jiang weizhe a deep bow and was quickly joined by his uncles. They held the bow for a whole minute to express their gratitude. 

"Rise and be at ease."

"Thank you, your excellency."

Xu shirong handed the box to his uncle and took out the rolled painting he's gotten from Song wan.

"Your excellency. Please accept this gift from me. It may not look like much but the man who sold it to me extolled its virtues."

An attendant quickly brought the painting to Jiang weizhe who unfurled it in curiosity. He looked from the painting to Xu shirong and back again a couple of times. Without speaking, he rolled up the painting and tied it closed with the hanging braided thread. Thereafter, most guests noticed that Jia g weizhe was absentminded. None of the gifts received more than a glance and a brief thanks. They all wondered what trick the Xu clan had pulled with the painting. However no one was brave enough to ask. 

The festivities went on and Jiang weizhe grew weary of noise. He'd rather be back in his sanctuary studying the painting. He signaled his guard who notified the custodian of his wishes. The music trinkled to a stop and the sonorous voice took its place to announce the Sage's departure. The guests also rose to their feet and gave him a bow. 

Jiang weizhe stood up and gave Shirong a final look before leaving. 

When they returned to their seats now that the coast was clear, Xu Chueng gave his nephew a hard slap on the back. It was mid way between a beating and an encouragement.

"Don't ever do that again! Do you know that if your plan had gone awry, not only you, but the whole clan would have been exterminated in the night?"

"Sorry uncle. I won't do it again. I looked brave but I almost pissed myself when he looked at me."

"Of course! Who do you think he is?!"

"We were lucky today."

"Incredibly! Let's drink! Tomorrow, the three leaf district will be entertaining."

"You've done well, nephew. Let me pour you a drink. You'll need it! Remember that your uncles are rooting for you."

"Uncles, why are you speaking as if it'll be my funeral soon? Didn't you just praise me?"

'We did. We did. But your grandmother is different. You did well, but you'll still receive a beating."

"Oh!"

"That word again? Even I feel offended now that I think of it. You really deserve a beating."

Shirong couldn't risk being beaten up in a public place. He waved goodbye to his uncles and ran off. 

The next day the Fan and Du clans received two visitors each from the Three leaf plaza. By the time they left, the stolen Xu clan shops in the market were back in the hands of the Xus. The offending clans also received fines consistent with the profits earned over the period of their take over. After returning the shops, they paid a penalty of handing over one profitable shop each to the Xu clan. The fine and penalty were expected- even acceptable since they each ended up losing only a single shop at the end of the day. To their surprise, however, the visitors weren't done. Du Yanzi and Fan Mingshu were both put under house arrest while taking lessons in comportment from Three leaf plaza matrons. Du Yanzi got a longer lesson time due to her more outrageous behaviour. 

In a clan residence on another street, Xu shirong was kneeling in the ancestral hall reflecting on his actions. He hadn't received a beating as suspected but he would be stuck in the hall till nightfall. The stonework floor bit into his knees and he redistributed his weight a couple of times to ease his discomfort. Under the watchful eye of a clan elder, he waited for night to fall. At midday, his grandmother's servant entered the hall holding a pardon slip from his grandmother. He heard stories of what happened in the Du and Fan clans that morning from his relatives waiting for him outside the ancestral hall. The visitors from the Three leaf plaza were in closed discussions with the clan elders. All in all, things were looking up for the Xu clan.

4