Volume 0002-Revelation & Growth, Chapter – 034 – Their Own Schemes – Death Magic
256 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Theodore looks at the captors and gave them a glare. He couldn’t understand the irresponsible behavior of Humankind, but on the other hand, he had too little experience of the bottom layer here in this world and in his previous life. He wasn’t sure what could drive a person to act like a sheep in a crowd of other sheep following its herder.

In his previous life, he was protected by the law and in a sense had free will. Here he was fed with a silver spoon and any relation with commoners was cut off by his previous status. In doubt, he asks: “Tell me your story up to the part you joined the mercenary group. Let’s start with you, Andrew.”

 

Andrew, the warrior who peed in his pants, looks in nervous and in doubt, asks: “What exactly do you want to hear?” Theodore answers: “Summarize your life story, how you gained your Battle QI, how you’ve joined the mercenary group Untainted till the moment you ended up here.”

Andrew sighs and nodded, he starts his story: “I come from a family of servants. My parents were working for the Aster nobles …”

As he told his story, those listening could picture the circumstances in their minds.


 

He was just a typical commoner whose parents were working for the noble Aster family as servants in the Thorns Kingdom. They were in charge of helping to care and raise the son of the 2nd eldest son of their Patriarch.

During the period they received gifts from the couple, which includes leftover magical vegetables and fruits, which his parents happily received and gave their own child. Hoping he would gain an ability that could elevate their own house with more importance towards the family.

One day his parents gave him a secret manual of the family, which he was told was gifted to them by that noble child and started practicing. But later his father came panicking and told him to go. With some gold coins in his pocket, he went to his aunt's place who was a farmer as his father instructed.

After 3 years of patiently waiting and practicing, he decided to return to his home to see his parents, but when he arrived he saw the outside of his former home unkempt with vines growing on the walls. The door was sealed and there was a notice sticking on the door.

A passerby told him that they were executed by the noble court for thievery on nobles. Due to him unable to read full sentences, he took the notice and left crying. From here he started his wandering life and during one of his trips, he met the Untainted and joined them.

He was recruited to join into this operation, due to him just achieving Rank 2 in Battle QI. All they told him that he would join a party of 5 to hunt in the forest, and he knew nothing about hunting elves. He just thought he was here to hunt animals with winter approaching. But once they met the 2 elves his blood boiled and just did what their leader said.


 

After listening and putting away the pictures in his mind, Theodore shakes his head and looks at Eric, says: “There must be more of him, who are unaware of this current situation. This will become bloody when the elves know about it and start organizing their forces. I just hope they listen to me and don’t approach the Forest Village.” Eric nodded and says: “Yes, we can only observe the situation. Everyone has their own schemes.” Eric shifts his gaze to the Necromancer and says: “What is your story, Rud?”

Rud, the Necromancer, looks back at Eric and says: “Why do you need to know? You’re just going to kill me anyway.” Theodore laughs loudly and says: “You wouldn’t need us to do the job. You were already marked from the start of this mission.” He took the bag out his Backpack and showed it to Rud and says: “Do you recognize this bag?”

Rud looks at the bag and says angrily: “Yes it was from my friend, Chris.” Theodore laughs again, and says: “You mean that healer mage we killed first is your friend?” Rud annoyed by Theodore laughter, barks: “YOU LITTLE SNOTNOSE BRAT, I HOPE YOU DIE. WHEN OUR BOSS KNOWS ABOUT YOU, YOU’LL BE HUNTED BY US UN….” Bruce, who stood not so far, gave a slap in the back of his head which silenced Rud.

Theodore took a vial out of the bag and asks: “Do you know what this is?” Unplugged the vial and smells it, after waiting for a few seconds, he continues: “I’ve smelled this type of agent before. It’s a sort of suppression agent that affects the energy inside our bodies. It can be used against magical beasts, but it’s much more effective towards people.” The crow gave a light raa-raa sound and nodded. Rud was stunned hearing this.

Theodore pets the crow’s head and says: “Thank you! You’re quite smart, aren’t you?” Then he turns his gaze to Rud and says: “How do you feel lately, seeing your expression you’re having some problems in practicing your Death QI, right?” Rud remained quiet.

Theodore pulls something else out of the bag. It was a booklet the size that fit in an adult’s hand, written in it were some passages of the Church scriptures. He shows it to Rud and says: “Your friend Chris was sent here to keep watch over you and once this whole mission was done it would be your turn.” Rud in denial says: “Who knows that you put those things in his bag and framing him.”

Theodore shakes his head, and says: “What do we have to gain? We just met here in this forest. You can refuse all you want. But the thing the Holy Light Church preaches is written here clearly, let me read the passage out loud for you: 'Mages who practice Death Magic is humanities sin and are evil worshippers. They must be cleansed from the planet for us to have a peaceful life. Desecrating our ancestor’s dead bodies and release plagues all over the Continent.' You as a Necromancer should understand what this means.”

“I’ll spell it out for you: ‘Anyone who practices Death Magic or the advance form Necromancy will be a target of those fanatics and dead is the only outcome.’ Once you came into the open with your Necromancy, even your intentions are to do good for humanity, some of these fanatics turned their eyes on you. You were observed by them and followed to get any dirt on you.”

“If they found something then that will be your sentence at your public execution. But if they didn’t, you would be killed and framed for something. What better way to put the blame of those missing elvish youngsters on you, with an excuse you were going to make elvish living corpses out of them. Even the elves would believe it and they will hunt every Death Mage in this forest because of you.”

“And the funny part is the Holy Light Church is part of this whole operation, the Stillards receive their funding for capturing these elves from them. Those old men of the Church are looking for ways to extend their old lives and they think it lies in the Elven heritage.”

Hearing this he went silent and thought of the current matters. After a while, Rud starts and says in a sorrowful tone: “I come from a noble Hester family from the Silken Kingdom who, since our ancestors, are cursed with this Death QI. Everyone knows the history of us who uses Death Magic how we are outcast from society and everyone born in our family is destined to practice ….” Eric and the others, who were wearing eyeglasses, receive a light beam in their mind with the summarized information about Death Magic currently stored in the Spatial Server. (1)

Just like with Andrew, they could picture his circumstances in their mind.


 

Ever since he was young they seldom went out and if he played outside, he was being cursed and yelled at, even by commoners. He was told by his parents that they were just jealous of him having a gift that they didn’t.

Back then he was naïve and received a great lesson from a warrior. Who he thought would be easily subdued, but his men received a beating instead. The warrior said some harsh words and told him some truths about why the surroundings were treating their family that way. He suggested a book that Rud should read. After having bought and read the content he finally understood his family circumstances.

The family was isolated and seldom receives orders from the Kingdom, their sales of herbs was also in decline. He decided to go to the Oden Kingdom with his little sister to sell the herbs there as he heard that the Oden Kingdom was more lenient toward Death Magic practitioners.

He opened a shop and business started well, it attracted a lot of attention from nobles and commoners. He made a decision to persuade their Patriarch to move to the Oden Kingdom during one of his resupply trips back home. But the stubborn old fool declined, so he tried to persuade his parents but they too wish to remain.

After 3 years of doing business in the Oden Kingdom, the supply of herbs suddenly stopped, and later he came to know that their family properties were seized and their family members were arrested, accused of being traitors of the Kingdom and other crimes were placed on a list of accusations. Afraid that he and little sister would be arrested as well once he set foot on Silken territory, he sends some of his men back to the Silken Kingdom to investigate the circumstances of his family crimes.

After they returned Rud heard the actions taken on their family was ordered by the 3rd Prince of the Kingdom. This prince Alex is a firm believer of the Holy Light Church and had many loyal supporters’ nobles and commoners alike. His family was stripped from their noble titles and put in prison. All possession was handed to the prince Alex followers.

Without a choice, he closed his shop and dismissed his assistants. He and his sister roamed the continent for 5 years, till they were recruited by the Untainted. This is the second large mission he participated in.


 

Theodore asks: “Your sister also practices Necromancy or is she a Death mage? Is she in the same operation as you?” Rud startled for a moment, shakes his head, and says: “No, she shouldn’t be, at least not in the current group of recruits. She practices regular Death Magic as she’s more incline in healing.”

Theodore nodded, looks at Rud and Andrew, says: “I can give you 3 choices, which one you pick is up to you. First, you can turn back to the Untainted and report everything, you’ve witnessed today, back to your higher-ups. But I can guarantee you something in your group smell fishy, Death Mages and Light Mages working together is highly suspicious. It really doesn’t matter to me, but if you make this choice then you will never meet us ever again.”

“Andrew, you as a low Ranked Warrior, shouldn’t be involved in these kinds of operations. If I guess correctly, you have been treated as fodder inside this group, just someone who can be sacrificed when things get too dangerous.”

“Rud, you were picked due to your practice. I don’t know how many Death Mages are involved in this operation, but I dread they will just be sacrificed as well if things that happened here are known to the Kingdom.”

 

Theodore pulls his money bag and placed 10 gold coins in his hand, says: “Now the other choices you can make are this, take 5 gold coins each and disappear from this region. Hide temporary then after a while you go find a decent job and stay safe.”

Theodore pulls out 2 localization ambers, says: “Or you can take these marbles and work for me. I am building an intelligence organization on this Continent and require people to bring information to us. There is a foul scent on the Continent that’s currently lingering in this Wild Dragon Duchy and we want to know where this scent is drifting from.”

Andrew and Rud are stunned. Rud in doubt couldn’t help but ask: “You are going to release us? Why?” Theodore answers: “Do you think that you are the only ones, who've been fooled by the nobles or the Holy Light Church? Things are happening on this Continent for a reason, but I am unsure what. But I can tell you that it’s not favorable for us all, just the things with the elves are a bad sign and will cause a commotion within the Axe Kingdom if it’s known.”

“And don’t forget the old man will soon have to step down from his throne to hand it over to one of his sons. Turmoil will soon descend on this Kingdom with these princes at each other throats in about 6 months for 3 years long. Now pick!”

Andrew was the first one to step forward and pick up the amber and steps back. Rud nervous looking at Theodore then steps forward and also picks up an amber. Theodore says while looking at them: “Good, wise choice. I am TJ and for now, you can call me young master.”

“Rud you go and pick up your sister after this, make sure to only meet with her. Go to the City of Fierce Tiger and rent a cheap room and stay low for a week. It’s best to dress as unnoticeable commoners.”

“Andrew, if you don’t have something better to do, follow Rud and stay together. After a week everything here will be peaceful and there will be a new Village Chief, those marbles in your hand will light up which is the sign for you to return back here.”

“Paul will explain to you how these marbles work. Take each 5 gold coins as your first-month salary.” Andrew and Rud were stunned again, not expecting these gold coins. Theodore pulls out their belongings from his Backpack and gives them back.

While Bruce was teaching them how to read the ambers, Eric came to Theodore and asks: “Why are you taking them in. Aren’t you afraid that they will betray us?” Theodore shakes his head and says: “That Rud, his elder was E. Hester from the Silken Kingdom, and I could sense his burning hatred of the Holy Light Church. And judging from how their abilities are passed down, he and his sister must have inherited them. Just like the elves.”

“And Andrew has no choice in this matter. His desire for revenge on the Aster family still lit in his eyes. But we will observe their movements. And I’ve just the thing that can push them to our sides.”

He looks towards May and asks: “Aunty can you fill 2 bottles with Spring Water, one half and the other full.” May nodded, took 2 empty bottles which she carried along if they manage to find water in the forest and filled it with Spring Water from the Water Can, and gives the bottles to Theodore.

The crow on his shoulder look at the Spring Water and eager to take a bottle from Missy. Theodore patted it's head and says: "As I said before, your share will be abundant, wait till we are home and you will see!" The crow looks at Theodore and could only refrain it's the desire and nodded.

 

Theodore says a little loud: “Andrew, Rud come over for a bit.” They walk towards him both saying: “Young master.” Theodore held the bottles in his hand and says: “These are filled with special water that can cleanse your bodies from impurities, it will help you with your training and you will notice that practicing will become easier.” Hearing this Rud and Andrew's eyes lit up.

Theodore continues: “Andrew this half-filled bottle is yours, it's enough for you. Drink all of it and find a disclosed location to dump your shit somewhere far away. Rud this bottle is for you, half for you and the other half for your sister. Same as Andrew, after dumping run as fast as you can, because that smell will follow you everywhere. So it’s best to remove your clothing first.”

 

Theodore pulled out from his backpack a cloth and says: “Rud stand here still. What I am going to do next might hurt a bit but you’ll soon be able to use your left hand again.” He turns around and looks at May, says: “Missy some help with your water healing, some sticks, and bandages. Paul, I need you to pour some water over the wounds after I open the wounds, then after I reattach the finger use the sticks to support it with a bandage. Missy after all is done using your water healing to reattach the wounds and bones. Rud bite on this stick and try to endure.” With instructions from Spacey Theodore set out to restore Rud’s left hand.

Theodore held Rud’s left hand and with his spatial ability to remove any dirt and forming scabs around the wound and isolated the bleeding. Bruce poured some Spring Water over the wound. Theodore picks up a finger and reattached it to Rud's hand. Bruce placed to sticks in between the finger and hand, next bandages it together. Theodore and Bruce worked together to reattach the other 3 fingers. May finish the job and used her water ability with support of the Spring Water to heal Rud's hand. After 30 minutes the process was over and Theodore asks: “How does your left hand feel, Rud?” Rud surprised he got his fingers back in motion, says: “It’s still a bit stiff, but I am glad I can use it again.”

Theodore says: “It takes a day for it to recover, let your lefthand rest but after today you need to remove the bandages and sticks. Then proceed with exercise your fingers on your left hand. Soon you’ll forget it was ever cut off, especially with the bottle of liquid you have to drink. I hope you don’t keep a grudge on us of what we did and quickly get over this. If you want to blame someone, blame me.” Rud nodded. (2)

Theodore says: “Guys, go now and keep low, try not to contact any of your former friends in the Untainted, besides Rud sister. I believe that the whole group is financed by The Holy Light Church, be extremely cautious when you approach your sister Rud. I am sure they put someone like Chris to follow and report her movements.”

“I have to go, see you over a week.” He looks at the Crow and says: "You need to go in first, we'll meet on the other side." He put his hand on the crow's head and the crow disappears on the spot.  Eric and the others stand next to Theodore and held his arms and shoulder. Next second they disappear from the spot too.


 

Andrew and Rud look at each other, stunned for a moment. Then Rud says: “Let’s go and follow the instructions of the young master.” Andrew couldn't hold back any more looking at the bottle in his hand, says: "We are currently in a disclosed location, shouldn't we drink it first?" Rud's eyes lit up.


 

When Theodore appears in OFT-Space, Rainy approach and wants to say something, but was interrupted by Theodore: “And how was Harry Potter? Or did you watch us on the monitor?”

Jenna says: “We’ve been watching you, sorry brother.” Theodore walks towards Jenna and patted her head and says: “What is there sorry about? I think this is something you eventually will see and will have to experience sooner or later. We …. OUCH OUCH!” Jade scolds while pulling his ear: “You let her watch what we did?” Theodore yells of pain and says: “No MOM, gentle! Spacey didn’t show the gruesome stuff. It only showed how you and Aunty fought that leader guy! Look Jenna is proud of you, look.” Jade ultimately let go of Theodore's ear and took Jenna in her embrace. Everyone had a hearty laugh.

 

After a while, the adults went to build the makeshift building and Jenna and Maggie walk to the screen to watch the movie. Theodore says to Rainy, who remained behind: “We talk about the Dúnadan later, go and watch the movie with the others.” She nodded and walks away. Theodore went to the barn to get his pet crow, suddenly a notification resounded in OFT Space.

 

 

tries to explain:

  • 1) Its time the Auxiliary pages to come out. I haven't done this before as it would contain too many spoilers. But it comes in line with the current development of the novel, as he garnered more and more information (books/documents) of this current world, which accumulates truths and lies of events, stories, anything important on the Continent. 
    With this I give you readers a choice, to ignore the Auxiliary pages which grant you more insight of customs used in this story or take it as granted. These pages don't have much influence on the main plot, if it does I will inform you.
  • 2) This bold part I added later after chapter being published. It would look strange that for someone who has his fingers cut becomes a friend from being enemy without holding a grudge. I admit I forgot about this part. I hope this filler gives some ease, why it turns this way later in the story. (BOLD REMOVED)
9