Volume 0002-Revelation & Growth, Chapter – 043 – Afternoon Hunt (4)
176 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Theodore returns in Space he drinks a cup of Spring Water already prepared for him. He sits down next to the others, watching the scene on the monitor.


 

Somewhere in the forest ….

Supervisor Nightglow says: “Thank you Haldir for bringing the news to us or we would be clueless how those bastards were able to find us. You too, Gildor. Are you sure the information the other humans brought is correct?”

Gildor answers: “Yes, sir! We were cornered by that man, who’s now in the holding cell. He and his group, a total of 5 people, were prepared to strike us from different directions.”

“It all changed when a boy with his 4 guardians appeared. They took control over the matter swiftly, removing the mages first than with a diversion the other 3 warriors.”

“The boy said they are from the Neutral Party and he’s the son of their leader. He was the one who pointed us towards the Golden Treasure mouse and Goldstem herb, without touching us. And, the only moment they could hide the mouse is when they tied the man. But I don’t see any reason why they would do that.”

“As for the information about 300 humans hunting us, I rather believe him than having our kindred being taken or killed, Sir!”

Nightglow thought for a moment, nodded and says: “The people who attend those herbs and mice are all kept in holding cells. We will soon find out who betrayed us.”

“As for the Neutral Party, I’ve met them before but they haven’t been in this part of the forest for a long time, and they usually don’t intervene in these kinds of conflicts.”

Gildor says: “That what that boy also said sir, but it seems he himself was pulled into conflict just recently, though he didn’t elaborate. And, the main reason he intervened was due to Rainy. He knew from the start of our names. It’s probably Rainy who told him about us.”

Nightglow frowns, but eased up quickly and says: “Luckily, they are still alive. I’ll be going with you to bring those youngsters back home. Hopefully, all of them are safe and sound.” Haldir says: “They will be glad to see you, sir.”

Nightglow says: “It’s time to make preparations for the ambush.” He and a group of hundreds of elves moved out.


 

Theodore looks at the formation of the Elves moving along the forest. He could only sigh, and says: “Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have such a disciplined group of people in a tight formation in your own army.” Rainy nodded and says: “When we reach QI Elven Stage we’ll all go through strict training for 5 years long. After that period we can decide what we do, stay in the guard, or do other occupations.”

Theodore looks at Rainy and says: “I would like to visit your Village, one day.” Rainy blushed and nodded. Jenna who sits nearby says: “I am coming along, Theo.” While Maggie looks to both of them with thoughts no one knows what she’s thinking about.


 

Another scene appears on the monitor:

It was Lex who lies on the ground in a holding cell. The door opened and a female elf in her thirties comes walking in with a tray of vegetables.

She puts the tray on the ground, then looks at Lex and says: “You’re disappointing your father quite a lot. All we had planned over the years is just ruined in a single day by your failure just to capture 2 elves.”

Lex mumbles: “It isn’t my fault, we had them! If it wasn’t for that boy and his guards if it wasn’t for that boy…”

She says: “Always blaming someone else for your own incompetence, that’s what all humans do!” She shakes her head and says: “It’s too chaotic outside and the guards are in high alert. When it calms down a bit, I’ll see if we can get you out of here before you’ll be transported to the headquarters. Luckily the Elders are like snails and the order for transfer won’t come soon.”

“I’ve already sent word to Mike Little that this mission needs to be stopped or our whole operation will become a failure if it isn’t already. Eat and regain some strength you will need it. Some interrogators will come later, stay silent put everything you know in your gut, and don’t reveal anything!” She turns around and walks out of the holding cell.


 

Rainy’s eyes went wide, in doubt she asks: “How do we get surveillance on Lex?” Bruce laughs and says: “It was Theodore’s idea. When we interrogated these guys, I’ve made sure to put a localization amber in that guy’s pocket. Theodore said that the probability of them taking Lex was higher compared to a newbie and a necromancer. He was right…. hahaha.”

Rainy and the others look at Theodore, while he says: “Well, it’s no surprise, is it? There is no way that the collaborators in your Village would stay away from him. They don’t know what he knows and would surely want to keep any information he carries hidden.”

“But surprisingly that woman seems to know him personally. I wonder who his dad truly is. Rainy, do you recognize her?”

Rainy shakes her head, and says: “No, but looking at her dress, she should be one of the serving maids inside our Lord’s mansion.”

Theodore thinks for a while and says: “It doesn’t matter. Draw her face on a paper later with the other humans who you doubted to be involved with your group abduction. The thing I am wondering is, and that truly bugged me for a while, how do they communicate, those collaborators and the people in the Human Villages?” Bruce says: “You want to interrupt their communication?”

Theodore says: “Yes, but we can’t if we don’t know how they correspond with each other in secret. It should be something that can deliver letters to each other. We don’t have such communication devices as the one we have seen on Earth, though we do have communication stone but that’s quite expensive and are easily intercepted or listen in too. They won’t use those.” He turns to Rainy and asks: “How else do you communicate with other Elves from neighboring Villages?”

Rainy says: “Usually we use our Grey Pigeons. But if we need to send messages fast we use our Honey Birds.” Theodore frowns, and asks: “Describe them to me.” Rainy says: “They are small about 13-15 cm large, they have long beaks and love to eat honey or nectar from flowers. They fly very fast, but not too high.”

Theodore hit his thigh and smiles: “I know which one you're referring to.” Suddenly on the monitor, it shows a picture of Hummingbirds [1], and Theodore points to the screen and says: “They look like those?” Rainy looks to the monitor, nodded, and says: “Yes, they do!”

 

Theodore looks up in the sky and says: “Spacey, look around our areas within our localization ambers if something this small flies in the direction of our Village. They can’t fly high, but they are fast perhaps we can intercept it or capture them.” He turns his head towards Jade, and asks: “Do we have honey?”

Jade nodded and says: “We have some, but not much. And, it’s quite expensive, son.” Theodore smiles and says: “Soon we have our own honey from our own bees, mom.” He turns sinister and looks at Tiny: “We won’t need much. We’ll just mix it with some of the Spring Water. Once it drinks it, it should fall unconscious for at least an hour long.” Tiny shivered and hid behind Rainy, while the eyes of others shone.

Theodore says: “We need a lightweight board and a tiny cup or small bowl we can pour the Spring Water in and then add a teaspoon of honey in it, mix it and hang them with threads on tree branches. We should use 3 with a distance of 150 meters between each of them.”

Bruce says: “I have the materials in our home. I’ll get them right away.” Theodore says: “I go with you, Uncle, and get the things. It won’t take too long.” He turns his head and nodded towards the others, he and Bruce disappear from OFT Space.


 

Meanwhile, in Space the others keep watching the monitor:

A group of youngsters came to Haldir and Gildor, and one of the males says: “You are too trusting about Humans! To listen to them is akin to betraying our own kind!”

Haldir and Gildor look at each other, Haldir furious he asks: “Gerreth, what are you talking about? Did you look for your brother? Were you attacked by humans that outnumbered your own group and saved by another of their kind? Did you get any information from them? You’re just jealous!”

Gerreth harrumphed, and says: “I’ll show you how to kill humans.” He looks at his friends and says: “Come let’s go hunt,” he and 19 of his friends moved out of the formation.

Gildor yells at them, and says: “GERRETH, WHAT ARE YOU DOING! WE ARE IN A JOINT MISSION! Get off your high horse and stay in formation! If you ruin our mission, you’ll be punished by our lord, if you even manage to return back home!”

One of Gerreth friends faltered and stood in place when hearing this, if one doubts others will follow, soon 8 of them stood at their places. Gerreth saw this and shouted: “Cowards all of you, come brothers let’s move. We now know who we can trust!” Soon 12 in total disappeared within the forest.

 

Haldir wanted to follow but was held back by Gildor, who shakes his head and says: “We can’t move brother, we need to stay in formation or else the ambush we set up will be spoiled. I’ll go to sir Nightglow position and report that our formation is compromised and we need some of the reserves to fill the gap.” Gildor turns around and walks in the opposite direction Gerreth and the others moved.

Haldir looks at the back of Gildor and then to the remaining people in his group, and says: “You might not trust the human words. But if I wasn’t there, I wouldn’t believe it either.”

“You all know me or heard of me. I despise humans the most and was enraged to hear that my sister was captured by them! Because of my temper, I almost got my brother killed, who followed me into the forest! But we were saved by a human boy with his human guards!”

“The human boy spoke to us, said that humans are searching for a way to increase their own short lifespan and a group within their human race pointed their fingers towards us!”

“He also said that this is due to greed, jealousy, benefits, and ambition. He pointed out that all living beings, including us, elves, can be moved by any of these. First I didn't believe it, because we are better than humans!”

“You all saw Gerreth a moment ago. He’s moved by jealousy, not being the one who carried this news back towards our elders and hoping for rewards. I can say, I haven’t received anything and will reject anything if it is to be offered later, although my mom is seriously ill!"

“All I want is my sister back and the safety of our own Village! She joined the excursion to find herbs to treat our mother's illness. It can only prolong her life a little bit longer.”

“But my sister wanted to try and she knows that, probably, the only thing that could treat our mother is our Spring Water, but it’s too scarce for us to rake up enough contribution points in our entire lives.”

“Stay united brethren! These human enemies will attack us in 3 groups with over 100 people in each of them, they will come at us fiercely once we are scattered. Guard each other backs!”

Haldir huffed after his long speech and closed his eyes, trying to calm his temper.


 

Theodore and Bruce appear in Space, and they see the others were gloomy. Theodore looks around and wondered what happened, he was just gone for about 5 minutes. Spacey cleared the doubt in Theodore’s mind with images they just saw. Spacey says 5 minutes out there is 30 minutes in here.

After Theodore was informed he looks at Rainy, who sits down with her head lowered, sniffling, while Jenna and Maggie are comforting her. He thought: “Maybe our Spring Water can help her out?” Spacey answers: “Perhaps, but ours has evolved quite a lot. If we knew beforehand we could have saved a bottle when it was just graded level 1. You might want to try diluting it, but if you want to save Rainy’s mother, you should bring her into Space. And, I might be able to make a proper diagnosis.”

Rainy sniffling voice was heard in the mind of Theodore: “Caaannn… yyyoou?“Hey, screech, whoo’s that, screech,” resounded a fourth voice, of course, it was Tiny. Theodore was shocked to hear Rainy’s voice in his mind, and ask: “You can hear us, Rainy?” “Hey, screech, I am here, screech, as well,” says Tiny. Both Rainy and Theodore say simultaneously: “Shut up Tiny!” “Screech,” was the last sound it made.

Theodore confirms that they can mentally communicate, and says: “We might be able. If you can get a blood sample of your mom, the Spring Water can analyze what exactly your mother is suffering from and could make countermeasures if needed. After this whole situation is over, you can bring her with you into Space and we will examine her properly. We can just let her lay in the structure that Eric and the other is building for your friends later.”

But let’s focus on the matter at hand for now. Your mom is still holding on, isn’t she?

Rainy says: “Yes, she should be able to hold on for 3 years according to the doctors. Thank you Theo, Spacey!” “And me, screech,” Tiny making funny faces toward Rainy which cheered her up a bit.

 

Theodore looks at Bruce and says: “A small group of elves left their formation and were jealous of Haldir and Gildor. They claimed to go out hunting for humans on their own. I hope they won’t spoil their ambush site.” Bruce shakes his head and says: “This comes to no surprise to me. Youngsters are usually more impatient than us adults. Come let me see what kind of contraption you want to create.”

 

They swiftly worked on 3 contraptions. After that was done he and Bruce teleports to the forest just 50 meters from the border of the Village to hang the 3 contraptions on tree branches. Suddenly a shadow springs out of the nearest bush aiming for Theodore.

Theodore was shocked and panicked, his mind reeled 120% and he came to conclusion there is no way in dodging it, he put his arms in defense in areas of his neck and belly, the 2 areas wild animals love to bite at. He became desperate and suddenly his body moved on its own, like elastic swaying from left to right dodging the furious attack of that shadow. Bruce who noticed it late springs up and pulled his sword from the sheath swings his sword which missed Theodore by a few centimeters, cutting the shadow almost in half.

[Gruesome expanded version:]

Spoiler

The animal was cut from the middle of its ribcage towards its soft belly. The intestines splattered out of its body and on the ground. The area this short interval took place was thoroughly littered with blood splashes, even Theodore was covered with the blood of the animal. Theodore was totally panicked and took a rock from the ground and hit the head of the already dead animal, repeatedly. Bruce tries to calm Theodore down but knew Theodore was just venting. After a minute or 2, exhausted and covered with animal brain matter all over his face, he drops on his knees than on his back.

[collapse]

Theodore lies down on the ground, huffing, and puffing. He got scratched lightly in his forearm which starts bleeding. Bruce pulled the backpack off Theodore and took the bandages and Water Can out of the Backpack. He starts cleaning the wound and bandages it. He gave the water can to Theodore who swallows a mouth full of Spring Water.

Bruce looks at Theodore, then at the animal corpse, and says: “Shouldn’t Spacey be able to notice any animals or hostile people nearby.” Spacey answers through the glasses Bruce is wearing: “Sorry, this animal also came to me as a surprise. That animal showed to me as an herbivore and was judged as a harmless critter in the forest.”

Bruce says: “But this is more like a mutated animal, it looks like a Spotted Leopard [2], what is it doing here in the outer region.” Spacey says: “It’s probably due to the activity by all the humans and elves inside the forest that disturb these animals' natural habitats. Look into where it came from, I can sense 2 more life forms of this creature nearby but small ones.”

Theodore shakes his head and says: “No, no, no, let me get back to Space.” Spacey answers in his mind: “Calm down Theodore, you just used the ability Evasion. At least this event provided you some insight into this ability and from now on you’ll be able to comprehend the ability better. Take the corpse of the animal and clean the area.” Theodore still shaken did as Spacey said, though mechanically.

While Bruce watches on for a few minutes and starts hanging the 1st contraption on a tree branch, filled the little bowl with Spring Water, and dropped a teaspoon of honey in it, mixing it together. As soon as they were done, they followed the trails the animal left to a little burrow not so far away. Space speaks in Theodore's mind and through Bruce glasses: “There are 2 little spotted leopards in the burrow. It seems they were just birthed. Theodore, get them inside the Foreign Object Locker!”

Overcoming from his shock, Theodore crouched inside the burrow, which was too tight for Bruce to enter and soon found the 2 sleeping babies in a nest. He pets them on the head and both of them disappeared from the burrow. Theodore looks around and sees other stuff lying on the ground, such as bones, small carcasses, mangled sticks/vegetation and he decides to move them all inside the foreign object locker.

Once done he and Bruce continues on putting the other 2 contraptions at the assigned locations. Afterward, they returned to Space and Jade comes running towards Theodore embracing him. Theodore starts to cry! Well, the vessel did, as he was cursing inward ‘Damn you body, why do you want to leak so much water!

 

Spoiler

tries to explain: 

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clouded_leopard

[collapse]

12