Volume 0002-Revelation & Growth, Chapter – 044 – Afternoon Hunt (5)
156 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Coming out of the embrace of Jade, she pulls Theodore by the hand and says: “You are all smelly. Come you need to take a shower.” She looks back to Eric and says: “Get him some clothes out of the costumes he can wear, that rabbit looks good on him.”

Theodore shouts back to Eric: “NO DAD DON’T! Take the one I used as a disguise.” He looks up to Jade and says: “We still need to go out later. How can you have your own son dress in a rabbit-outfit?”

Jade smiles and looks back at Theodore, and says: “Then you fit in the environment all the better!” Theodore used a panicked expression on his face, and says: “No, mom you are wrong! All predators will instantly see me as prey.” They walk further away and those who listen to their conversation could only chuckle.

 

Eric went to the shed and takes out Theodore’s previous disguise outfit and walks towards the bathroom. He could hear screams coming from the bathroom: “HELP, HELP! I AM BEING ASSAULTED!” Jade screams as well: “OHH SHUT UP YOU!! Ohhh… what do I see there! It’s growing nicely…. Hehehe. Tell me, which one, Rainy or Maggie, or both?” Theodore yells again: “I AM A KID, SPACEY EXIT OFT SPACE NOW!” Spacey says: “Unable to comply! The host is currently indecent!” [1]

Eric laughs hearing the conversation between Jade and Theodore and shakes his head. He approached the bathroom and knocks on the door. He hears both whispering: “We are caught!” Eric's laughter was louder, then says: “Open the door you two brats. Are you expecting the girls?”

Jade opens the door. Eric glanced inside and sees Theodore was sitting in a corner in the bathroom looking depressed. Eric says: “Hurry up washing and get dressed, we need to act soon. They are already separated.”

Hearing this Jade jump in excitement, she runs out of the bathroom towards the Shed. Eric stood there stupefied and Theodore looks silly. He looks at Eric and says: “Go, dad, and prepare as well. I’ll be there in a few minutes.” Eric nods towards Theodore, closed the door, and walks towards the Origin Station.

 

Theodore is now alone, starts washing his body from all the blood and other stuff, and asks: “Spacey why didn’t you teleport me into Space the moment that Spotted Leopard attacked? And, how is it possible you couldn’t notice its presence?”

Spacey says: “Answering your first question, it was to see how you react. And truly to see the Evasion ability in action, after seeing it kicked in I didn’t proceed to transport you back into OFT-Space. Such an encounter is rare to come by and it was suited at that moment. If you really met with a dire situation, I would have pulled you out of it. I’ve got the recording of it and will help you later to comprehend it much better.

As for your second question, the animal was mutated and a predatory one. It lives through ambushing its prey. The Darkness elemental QI truly suits the leopard much better than that bulky Raptor. It probably used the Concealment Ability so much it comprehended it to the next level. Since it can elude my sensory ability into seeing it as an herbivore, I am guessing it’s some sort of copy ability of its prey. I should give it a name, how about Mimic or Mimicry?

Theodore still complains to Spacey, and says: “Next time do a thorough screening in the surrounding where we teleport too, even if there is an innocent bunny nearby, visually check!

Spacey jokingly answers: “You’re no fun at all if you know that once you teleport to a position where an animal is waiting in ambush, would you respond differently. Do you even dare to teleport to that location?”

Spacey continues: “On a serious note, it’s a great way of training your reflexes TJ, to keep sharp about your surrounding even if you have me for surveillance. The reflex of the body is a peculiar thing of the humans, you need to go through vigorous training for your body to remember certain movement and sudden actions for it to do these out of its own.”

“You cannot always think ‘I need to move to the left’ or ‘I need to move to the right’ before actually doing it if a car is threatening to hit you while speeding. You would jump either side before your brain caught up to the situation.”

Your mind might be mature, but your body is still immature and needs to be trained, step by step. You can keep cursing why your body reacts emotionally in certain situations or you can just accept you are still a child with a mentality of a grown-up. Keep this in mind, you started anew in the body of a 10-year old!

 

Theodore sighs and realized he was trying to act as a tiny adult all this time while being in others eyes a know it all. He says: “Thank you, Spacey, I need to correct myself and adjust my personality a bit as a 10-year old and accept I am no longer in the body of an adult. I will, though, keep advising them but be opened to their opinion as I need to reevaluate every situation with their involvement until I, myself, can take part in it.” Spacey says: “Well it’s a good start of putting it in such a way.

“For now get dressed already and join the others at the Origin Station. Things seem to be moving along pretty well. Haze is just waiting for the signal to advance to the next step.

Theodore says: “Affirmative!”

 

Theodore tidied up himself and the washroom. He bandaged his wound on his forearm, which luckily already closed and is forming scabs. He put on his clothes and walks out of the washroom to the direction of the Origin Station.

Once he is near, the girls ran towards him with concern all over their faces. Jenna worriedly asks: “Are you okay, brother?” Theodore pats her head and says: “I am okay Lil’ sis!” He showed his bandage forearm towards her and says: “The wound is already closed and is healing quite well.”

Maggie says: “We were really scared that you would be bitten by that animal, but surprised us with your sudden movements. Is that a movement skill?” Theodore shakes his head and says: “No, it’s a 2nd ability Evasion of the Spring Water, like the Concealment ability we practice earlier. This ability is a little hard to learn, it usually triggered under such a situation I was in.”

Jenna exclaims, and then asks seriously: “Ohh, did you pee in your pants?" Theodore turns red and says: “You little brat, let me see when you are in such a situation if you can hold it in,” and a series of giggling is heard.

 

Rainy says: “Theo, can you get those 2 babies out?” Theodore puzzled by Rainy’s request, but suddenly remembered the 2 little leopards. Theodore shakes his head and says: “Not right now, they are in quarantine and can be taken out an hour later, umm 10 minutes later.”

 

Eric shouts at Theodore: “SON, COME!” Theodore looks over and walks towards Eric, who says: “Spacey has given the signal to Haze to start step 2. It’s now flying ahead of the group it was tailing. They’ll soon be in that heavily forested area with a small path through it.” Eric points at 2 spots they could hide and says: “These are the 2 shrubs we can hide in, though the leaves are getting sparse and I am afraid they will fall off if we touch them. But I am sure they will be able to see us when they get closer. I don’t see any location for us to hide.”

Theodore says: “Don’t forget the Spring Water’s Concealment ability, dad.” He looks into Space and says: “Spacey, transmit to them my comprehension into the ability.” Spacey answers: “Affirmative!” Light beams flew out of the glasses straight into the minds of Eric and the others, who are wearing the eyeglasses.

Eric and the others gasped, after a moment Bruce says: “So that’s how it is! But we have a short time to come out of concealment and burst out into action. And there are still the 4 Guards we need to somehow distract.”

Spacey voice resounded in everyone’s ear, saying: “Don’t worry, Haze has called in for support.” Then they see dozens of green spots on the monitor in trees. Zooming in, it shows over a dozens of crows standing on branches.

Theodore and the others gasp, Jade says: “Haze, isn’t expecting us to take them all in, right? I don’t think one Nordic Spruce tree is enough.” Eric says: “We can think of it later, let’s set out. Haze is already in position,” while looking on the overview map encircling Haze.

Eric, Bruce, Jade, and May, drink a cup of Spring Water before heading out. They encircle and touch Theodore. The next second they disappear from OFT Space.


 

Forest: Meanwhile, the opposite party who’s walking in the direction of a small pathway:

Death Mage 1 says: “Tim, I feel that we are being watched.” Death Mage 2 says: “You too, Jacob? I have this feeling for half an hour now.” He points at a certain area of nearby trees and continues: “Look up in the trees, there. It’s those crows who been following us.”

Tim turns around to his guards and says: “Prepare your bows! I don’t think they will attack, but to be safe shoot if they’re coming in our direction.” 4 Guards simultaneously say: “Yes, Sir!” Jacob says: “Let’s hurry and move through this location swiftly. I’ll cast 'Plague' once we crossed that path, the crows will not be able to follow.” They start to speed up their steps.


 

Forest: Little further away in the forested area near the small pathway:

Theodore appears next to Haze with Eric and the others. Haze says: “Raa, how do you like, raa, this spot, Boss!” Theodore says: “Good picking, Haze! And, I see you called your friends over.” Haze points in a direction and says: “Raa, that’s my beauty relatives, raa. See there, raa, she’s winking towards me, raa!

Theodore looks in the direction and says: “Yup, she looks mm…, sexy! But let’s focus on the situation. We’ll talk later and support my family well, okay?” Haze answers: “Raa, yes Boss!

Theodore turns around and says: “Good luck you all. I am getting back into Space!” Eric pats Theodore’s head and says: “Leave it to us, we’ll be fine.” Before Theodore disappears, he could hear: “Spread out as we discussed! Haze it’s your turn to lure the guards away.” Haze answers with ‘Raa, raa, raa!’


 

Forest: Back at the elves:

Gildor comes back to his position, including 12 other elves to replace the freed up positions, left empty by Gerreth and his friends.

Haldir asks: “Is there anyone pursuing Gerreth and the others?” Gildor says: “No, sir Nightglow is fumed by Gerreth behavior and sent a servant to report his misconduct to the elders. But he expects nothing will come out of it since his grandfather is also an elder."

“He did say to the servant to convene a message to that elder to solve it on his own, cause he can’t miss any reserves for chasing after his dear grandchild. Or, he will report it to the disciplinary council.”

Haldir laughs, but he shakes his head and says: “Probably nothing will come out of it. Those High Elves families are always protecting their own.” Gildor looks at Hildor and says whispering: “Shh… don’t say such words!” Haldir shrugs off his shoulders and turns his sight to the open field in front of him.


 

Back in OFT-Space:

Theodore appears in Space and hurries to get seated next to the girls, who are watching the monitor intently. Jenna and Maggie have a worried expression on their face, while Rainy is seriously observing the whole field.

Theodore looks at the girls and says: “Don’t worry they’ll be fine. Trust dad and the others.” Jenna comes closer to Theodore and put her head on Theodore’s chest, she says: “I know Theo, does it always feel like this when you are watching mom and dad fight?”

Gently caressing Jenna’s hair, Theodore says: “It is nerve-racking, watching from a distance, isn't it? That’s just our emotions because those who are going to fight is our family. But do you know when it’s your turn to do the same, fighting a guy? How will mom stand by?” Jenna says: “Perhaps the same as us?”

Theodore shakes his head, puts up a smile, and says: “Nope, she will have a large cleaver in one hand and a large butcher knife in the other. Standing by your side and glaring at the one who’s fighting you. With an expression like if you hurt my daughter, I cut off all five limbs!” Jenna and the others laugh, after a while, Jenna asks: “Five limbs? Don’t we have 4?”

Theodore chokes and says: “I meant 4,” while receiving glares from Maggie and Rainy.


 

Forest: Back to the scene of Eric and the others:

In the forest resounded loud, ‘raa, raa, raa’, ‘caw, caw, caw,’ sounds from the crows in the trees. When hearing over a dozen or so crows simultaneously making such sound, it would put anyone on high alert.

All the crows start to fly high in the sky, ‘raa, raa, raa,’ ‘caw, caw, caw,’ sounds keeps echoing in the surroundings. Guard 1 says to Tim and Jacob: “Stay behind us, after they dive and fly up again, make a run towards the pathway” He looks at the other guards and says: “Aim at those who are targeting our face, other wounds will only be superficial with these Red-Stripped Crows.”

Jacob says: “When we reach the pathway we will summon some of our skeleton-warriors from the Underworld for support. Give us some time to prepare about 15 seconds.” The guards nodded.


 

Back in OFT-Space:

Spacey says to Theodore: “Spatial Server is recording everything on-site what these Death Mages do and their chant. I’ve asked Eric and the others if it’s possible to allow one of the Death Mages to summon a skeleton warrior and if they are confident in subduing it. We can store it in the Backpack after slaying those Death Mages.

This should be something good for Rud to see and will progress further in his training.

Theodore stunned hearing this, shakes his head, and says: “As long nothing goes wrong!


 

Forest: Confrontation between crows and guards:

Soon the attack of the crows is coming, ‘raa, raa, raa,’ ‘caw, caw, caw,’ They all dived, folding their wings, to make them smaller targets for the guards to shoot at, all aiming for their heads.

Guard 1 shout: “JACOB, TIM! LIE DOWN ON YOUR BELLY! PROTECT YOUR HEAD!! GUARDS SHOOT, DODGE, ROLL!”

Jacob and Tim, the Death Mages instantly lie down on their belly and their arms covering their heads. The four guards shoot their arrow, hitting 3 crows, while one arrow misses a target. The guards step sideways and then rolled on the ground.

Gruesome expanded version:

Spoiler

3 crows are punctured, one sideways through the eye, and the arrowhead sticking out the other side of the skull, one through the open beak with the arrowhead in the body, and the last one pierced through its ribcage and the arrowhead sticking out its tail.

[collapse]

One of the guards got scratched on his hand and another had a wound on his thigh. Guard 1 commanded: “Tim, Jacob, run to the pathway, now!” The 2 Death Mages stood up and runs to the pathway.

Guard 3 shakes his head and mummers: “Fat pigs, if they walked faster we wouldn’t be here at all!” He turns around towards guard 2 and 4: “Ian, can you still shoot? Rob, how is your leg?” Ian answers: “I can still draw the bow, but not with full strength.” Rob says: “I am fine!”

‘Raa, raa raa’, ‘caw, caw, caw,’ resounds in the surroundings. Guard 1 holler: “GET READY FOR THEIR SECOND DIVE!” Suddenly he spotted something and his body shook, he says: “ROB, FIRE FROM ONE KNEE POSITION! ROLL AFTER SHOOTING!! IAN, YOU TOO! STEVE 13 O’CLOCK, AIM AT THEM, SHOOT THEM DOWN, REDWINGED RAVENS!”

Rob kneels down and draws his bow, the other 3 guards stood and aimed at the Red-Winged Ravens.


 

Forest: Meanwhile, in the air:

Haze was hovering with the other crows, mumbles: “You took 3 of ours, raa, I’ll take one of yours, raa!” Seeing the 3 crow corpses it became agitated. A female Raven hover beside him says: “Hmm… hope that Boss, caw, of yours, is worth it, caw!”

Haze looks at her and says: “Honey, raa, you will see, raa. Boss will help, raa, the others evolve, raa!” The female raven says: “Tsk, we’ll see, caw, never trust, caw, humans, caw! Prepare, caw..caw.” Raa, Raa, Raa, Caw, Caw, Caw resounds through the surroundings.


 

Back in OFT-Space: 

Theodore sees Haze on the monitor and says to the girls: “Haze is preparing to take action. Let’s see what it can do.”

 

 

Spoiler

tries to explain:  

[1] I have one of these memories of my Aunt (may she rest in peace).  When I was 12, I and my friend went on an excursion in the woods. We built a treehouse together with other youths. After we came back, I was infected with scabies on my back. My aunt took me in the shower, took off my clothes and start scrubbing my back with some blue liquid (not sure what it was), she says it was a tradition in their family if treated it quickly, it will be gone.  I protested somewhat in the same way. At home, my mother insisted to bring me to the doctors the next day. Day after the hospital visit it was all gone, the samples taken of my skin showed only dead scabies under the microscope. Doctors and my mom were all surprised.

This is a little tribute to my Aunt.

Sorry for the cliffhanger, I reached over 4.000 words in this chapter and still continued on writing. Decide to cut off for a new chapter, you won't have to wait long :)

[collapse]

9