The Treeacher
14.3k 40 377
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Year 204 (part 2)

Ebon, as a knight, felt strongly about helping these people. As for me, I didn’t want to take ownership of this conflict, and expand my already growing plate. I didn’t want to play the role of another world’s peacekeeper too. 

Still, I did agree that we could have a limited scope of assistance. Something more focused. Freeing the heroes, or failing which, killing them, such that the cycle of reincarnating heroes may continue. 

As it is, I have at least 30 to 50 individuals like Ebon in the level 100 category, and this really was another battlefield. Letting them fight another war on another world could help them experience things, and prepare them for the coming invasion of the demon world. 

Despite my reluctance to assist, Lumoof, and some of my Valthorns felt we have the capacity to do more. After the badly handled disaster that was the Crystal King, this was our other world left, and Lumoof felt we should try to make allies on this world.

If we help now, we come as saviors. Allies. 

These opinions can shift quickly, and I wasn’t sure what was the political, social and religious sentiment on the ground. A wider scope of assistance may also face pushback, and as the Crystal King said, we would be occupiers. 

Maybe he wasn’t that wrong, after all. If the purpose of allies was as a backup if our world fell, then if that happened, we would retreat here as refugees. Eventually though, we would also transform into occupiers, demanding some of these lands as our own. 

Politics was hard. I’d rather just fight demons. 

After a day’s rest, Lumoof and Ebon returned to face the council, and Lumoof immediately asked for information on the heroes, and where they were captured.

Lumoof could see the light in their eyes lit up, excited at the prospect of our assistance. 

In truth, they couldn’t help. This was a border city, a fortress that faced the demon hordes. The information on the heroes, and on such grander strategic matters, were all deeper in their ‘protected’ hinterlands. 

So, they proposed to send two messengers, carrying scrolls written by the council, to guide and accompany us to one of their greater cities that still stood. It would be a two week journey by horse, but Lumoof shook his head at the council.

“Then let’s use teleportation scrolls. Let not waste time.”

The councillors were horrified at the suggestion. “We mean no offense, Lord Lumoof, but we cannot afford to use scrolls. Teleportation scrolls are only for our elite forces to move to places under heavy attack.”

That was a sensible use of teleportation.

Lumoof coughed. “Sorry, I mean, I have greater teleportation scrolls. I just need some of you to come with me, and link me with the right person. My scroll can carry five, I just need one of you who has been to that city to update the location.” 

Teleportation scrolls from our world relied on the mana-pathways in the sky, the same way [message] spells worked. These teleportation scrolls were a step further, and could use direct coordinate input, but it needed some tweaking.

“Oh.” One lizardperson and one human stood. “Then we will go with you.”

One of the councillors was a mage and he stared at the scroll for a moment. “These are really interesting teleportation runes...” 

Lumoof coughed again. “Shall we?”

“Ah yes.”

-

Lumoof and Ebon landed in a large teleportation platform in their magical capital, and when we arrived, we were greeted by an army, ready for war.

There were three relatively high level soldiers, one was a naga, the other two were lizardpersons, with quite good equipment, their spears and axes were up and ready to strike. “Councilman! Explain this unauthorised use of teleportation!”

“Stand down! We sent a message earlier! We are sending VIPs over!” The councilman said.

The high leveled naga seemed to be a magic-swordsman, judging from the three magic swords he wielded. The naga immediately shouted through its helmet. “The capital has not agreed to your request! The protocol states any use of teleportation must be centrally approved!”

“These two here possessed their own teleportation scroll! Surely that protocol does not apply!”

Lumoof sighed, and then, a wave of his power flooded the entire area. “My name is Lumoof, and this is my guard, Ebon. We are otherworldly visitors, ambassadors of our divine protector, Aeon. We’ve come to speak to your mages and your priests, and discover what has interfered with the usual cycle of hero-summons. I do not wish to fight, but I can, if I have to.”

The magic swordsman and the rest of the soldiers buckled, just a little, but the difference of power was clear, and when the naga sheathed his swords, the rest did too. “...very well.”

Lumoof looked at him briefly, estimated he was probably around level 85, and would give Lausanne a run for her money. These were folks that fought many battles over the decades, and have gained levels as a result. Lumoof nodded. “Thank you, now let us see how we may aid this long conflict.”

The level 85 barrier could be surpassed, by sheer force of will, but most mortals would never get there, even if they reached level 85. 

The barrier was a cruel one. I didn’t see why the world had such a silly level limiter. It denied the world of their opportunity to save itself, even when these folks clearly, if they leveled enough, had the chance to do so, or at least, force the demons to a state of weakness. 

Lumoof once offered a counterpoint. “In any system which rewards killing to gain levels, those who gain the levels will be those who killed the most. I would think if such powers were not limited in some way, the world would naturally die from its inhabitants killing each other in the pursuit of more power.”

That didn’t explain dragons, of course. Or dragons were counterbalanced by their need for huge amounts of rest and sleep that they never actually manage to kill that many people.

Lumoof and Ebon were escorted from the teleportation gates, and out to the world. Their magical capital was filled with towers, but they were all shaped for war. There were clearly multiple magical defensive artifacts active, and we could feel their magical energies bouncing off Lumoof’s domain.

We looked up and saw at least three layers of magical shields. Each of these shields were quite weak on their own, but with three, they were a reasonably good defense, even if inferior to my wooden shields. 

Everyone was armed, except the children, and there were weapons hung and placed all over many parts of the streets. There were also many children. Actually, come to think of it, there were really a lot of children back in the border city too.

“What’s with all the children?” Lumoof asked, and the councilman that accompanied us immediately answered. “Someone’s got to fight the wars, so we have many children.” 

I couldn’t help but feel how insane that was. 

“The Council of Kings combined their powers to create a continental-edict, which means all our children grow up faster than normal, and everyone also gained more experience. About three to four times faster. It’s one of the few abilities that allowed us to hold on in this long battle.”

Ah. That made sense. Lumoof nodded in agreement, and commented. “I’m impressed that the nations actually got their act together and responded to this threat coherently.”

Actually, that was really true. I remembered the nations back in Treehome treating the demon king as the heroes’ problem. But then again, these guys got lucky too, that they got a stationary demon king that pumped out demons, instead of the usual wandering trigger happy nuclear machine gun.

I like this aspect of these people already. A sense of ownership for their lives, development of the necessary organisations and focus to defend themselves. It really further solidified my conclusion that I should not assist them excessively, and focus on a narrow scope. Like a child learning to walk, I’d be doing them a disservice if I gave them the easy way out. Their bones would not be strong.

If anything, the right thing to do is to help them without them feeling indebted to me, even if I and Lumoof did want allies here. 

The two forces of encouraging their independence and self-reliance, versus helping them and earning their gratitude battled in my mind. I didn’t want to contribute a data point towards the argument that their problems will be solved by outside help. I’ve seen enough of that in my world and it’s irritating. 

I knew the knights and priests would generally prefer to provide aid where able. It is how they were trained and raised in the Central Continent. 

The lizard councilperson frowned. “Well, it took two continents to fall under complete demonic rule and tens of millions dead citizens across thousands of fallen kingdoms for us to get our act together. If anything, this war-alliance was written in blood and bones of the dead.” 

Lumoof nodded. “I see.”

The group arrived at a massive temple that was clean, and as we looked around, there seemed to be a lot of students, all in robes. “Junior priests. We need healers on the front lines, and we are mass-training.”

Lumoof was visibly disturbed at how familiar it was. “I must say, I can’t imagine sending such freshly trained junior priests to the front lines.” As I saw through him, I saw him imagine the young students of the School of Treeology on the front lines, dying to the demons. 

“They will level, and grow.” 

“Many won’t survive.” 

“But those that do will carry the torch. Such is war.” 

“It is horrific, indeed.” Lumoof said. We’ve seen our own horrible wars. The recent parasite war has been horrifying indeed.

Three heavily armed priests appeared. They had large shields on their back, and magically enchanted war-maces. “Councilperson. Is this the guest?”

The lizard gave them a nod. “Yes. This is Lord Lumoof, Ambassador of Aeon.” 

The war-priests motioned Lumoof to follow them into the temples. “Come. The highpriest will see you.”

The temple’s inner grounds were clean, and spartan. There were gems and gold once, but most of them had been stripped out. The sound of chants and prayer songs filled the halls, and despite it being to another god, Lumoof found it calming, and could not help but ask. “Which god do you pray to?”

“Tharaz. The God of Perseverance.”

Lumoof just nodded and walked behind them, and soon arrived at a room on the highest floor. Once more, it was probably once a heavily decorated room, but now, it’s empty. The shelves were all bare. What’s left were a few paintings and some writings. 

They got to the point immediately. “Highpriest, these two claims to be from another world, and asks for information on the heroes.”

The highpriest glared at Lumoof, but then quickly smiled. “That’s a bold claim.”

Lumoof laughed. “It is, isn’t it.” 

“Can you prove it?”

“Yes, of course.” Lumoof’s aura gently filled the room, and the highpriest paled. 

“...I see.” The highpriest and Lumoof sat down. Ebon sat at another chair to the side. “Before that... are there really other worlds?”

“Yes.”

“How’d you get here? Scripture and the gods said only they could do it.”

Lumoof frowned at the words, and but realised he could twist it. “It’s not exactly wrong. I would say Aeon, my god and my benefactor, is the one who sent me here.”

“Huh, but doesn’t that make you a hero?”

“No. We’re... different. Aeon is a relatively new god. The old gods are those that summon heroes, to yours, and to mine. We don’t get the hero-type powers.”

“But you feel strong.” 

“It’s complicated, and not something I can share.” Lumoof said. “Now, tell me about the heroes.” 

The highpriest sighed. “Very well. Truth is, what we have was quite vague. We have this hero item that can locate the hero, and all we have is a location. We know they are alive because the hero item still works, but the fact that they didn’t move suggests that they were either captured, or unconscious, or some degree of both.”

“A location? Was anything done to rescue them?” 

“Well, no.” The highpriest said with embarrassment. 

“Then?”

“Our data is already out of date. The last time we used it was eight years ago. The item ran out of the hero’s mana a while ago, and so we don’t even know whether it’s in the right place, or whether the hero had moved. We didn’t dare to send anyone to that location with our poor information, and the demon king’s magical structures interfered with all our magical scrying and teleportation abilities.”

Lumoof nodded, and realised this part could be relatively easy to solve. “Can we get access to it?”

“It’s considered one of our most prized possessions, even if it’s unpowered. It would need the approval of the Council of Kings and Grand Marshals. But why?”

“Can you get it?”

The highpriest stared. “What are you really saying?”

“We may be able to recharge it.” 

“How?”

“We have access to the hero’s mana. A small bit, at least.” 

The highpriest’s eyes widened in shock. “You are not lying?”

“No.”

The highpriest paused. “But... wait.”

“You need to gather your strongest men. All those level 80s and above. We will provide assistance, and cover, but the rescue will be done by your forces.” Lumoof said. He understood that I preferred that these guys help themselves.

“But that would leave some of our cities unprotected.”

Lumoof looked at Ebon. 

The highpriest sighed. “I will have to raise this to the council. Once we recharge the item, we can decide on the next course of action...”

“Good.”

-

We were still working on our star mana bombs, and the fact that the demon king of this was stationary raised some interesting questions.

“If it’s stationary, why don’t we throw a wide range of bombs at it?” Alka has been working on bombs so much that he pretty much joked that his first course of action was to bomb them. It’s only half a joke.

That said, the demon king could just ‘pretend’ that it was stationary. All the previous demon kings that resembled actual castles could float, fly, and move like giant walkers. The current stationary appearance may well be a ruse, or maybe it was just waiting for the heroes.

“If we don’t try, we don’t know.”

“Do we really want to trigger an escalation of conflict? Like, this seems to be a rather uncomfortable, but stable state for the world.” I said frankly, again.. “Attacking the demon king may jolt it out of its current stationary state and cause it to attack the kingdoms directly. Then it becomes our conflict, because we caused it. Worse if we can’t rescue the heroes.”

It’s very easy to stray from our goals. As persons in power, we are frequently petitioned to assist with many things, with very convincing arguments.

I relooked at my objectives. I wanted core mana, and my adventure to this Mountainous world was to find core mana. As a secondary goal, we would try to make some friends, and allies, so that we have somewhere to fall back to, like a backup. 

Yet, at the same time, I also realise they have a good thing going for them, and that was their scrappy temperament, perseverance, their self-reliance, and that sense of ownership. I didn’t want to snuff that out by playing the role of the outworld helper, even if I know this path will probably mean more deaths for their world. Once lost, it is hard to get it back without even more deaths.

At the same time, I recognise that I have some self interest in protecting this world, because since they are so close to me, that means if they fall to the demons, we could be invaded by the demons more often. This was just my speculation, because Stella’s view was that it doesn’t work like that. The demons seem to ignore distance when choosing their targets, because their choice of targets seemed random. 

Each world led to other worlds, and Stella was keen to visit the Threeworlds and Mountainous World for herself again, and see whether there were other worlds within the range of these worlds. 

Anyway, another secondary goal was to look for creatures and powers like myself, and make allies.

There is a lot we can do with power. Using them correctly was a far more difficult question. Against these goals, I also posed the questions to my allies.

“As a knight, I would help where I am able. But I do see your point, so perhaps, we can come in as a defender of last resort.” Edna said. “We should be invisible, such that they do not count on our help.”

“Are you willing to take over this conflict for them?” Roon disagreed. “I think we may be overstretching ourselves? We haven’t even really secured our world, and here we are trying to send forces to the other world. We’re also waging a war on the parasite-world, and plan to invade a demon world. We should save our forces.”

“With Stella and Aeon’s ability to teleport us back and forth, we’re not really overstretching.” Edna argued. “And stretching isn’t really fair, because, well, we gain levels from all of this.”

“The question is simple, to me. If there’s a demon on our world, and a demon on theirs, at the same time, where do we fight? The answer is clearly here, because this is our home. That’s not our home, and it’s not our battle.” Roon countered. “If we accept responsibility for one, are we eventually accepting it for all?”

“I agree that home is where we should protect.” Edna nodded. “But that does make our world’s lives more valuable than theirs, isn’t it? We have capacity. Many of our level 100s are just clearing dungeons.”

“It is a fact that our world is more valuable. They are unfortunate that they do not have an Aeon. So, it is even more important that their own people rise to the occasion.” Roon countered. “We’ve seen that a child born in the Central Continent grows up stronger than most in the other continents, and this sort of luck is true across worlds too.”

“They are level-limited. They can’t, even if they want to.” Edna responded. “But Aeon could...”

“It is a limited resource, but not that limited. I would be willing to give a few, if they are worthy.” I responded, I still have a few in stockpile. It isn’t even an instant win, because I’ve seen my guys who gotten the soul seed but never actually did much. I also like that this was in line with helping them help themselves, and did not involve putting the time of my people on the line. “But I’ll need Lumoof to get to know them better before giving them such an item. The last thing I’d want is to empower someone who’d go against me.”

Edna smiled. “Even if you give ten of them seeds, they’re a long way from being able to stand against you, Aeon. It took us decades of constant grinding to get both Roon and Johann to the domain-tier. I think that’s not something to be worried about. Not in the next half-century.”

That was true.

Even if they did turn against me, so what? They couldn’t travel worlds. Our home base was safe.

So I could help, with very little losses, all the upside with very few downsides. If it goes well, we get some friendly parties. If it doesn’t, no major harm done.

 

Year 205

It took a while, and a lot of discussions over at the so called council of Kings, and a few actual meetings with Lumoof, before they even allowed Lumoof to see the item for itself. Stella couldn’t teleport the heroes, because their star-mana opposed the void mana too strongly. Not like me, where the star mana I possessed was relatively tiny, but it didn’t matter.

The object itself was a large circular metal disk with many rings. It looked like an ancient feng shui compass, only with a glass, clear center. It was created six centuries ago by an archmage hero, and over time, it’s mana has been exhausted. It was clearly made only to accept star mana, not like the hero items that were made to accept normal mana. 

Lumoof was flanked by 10 of their strongest fighters. Some mages, some archers, and some knights. It was just security theater, really. 

There was nothing they could do if we tried anything.

Lumoof touched the disk, and my avatar descended. All that was present felt my oppressive presence fill the room, and the entire building. 

I channeled my meager 300 star mana into the disk, and the disk clearly started to glow. It was thirsty. It was a really greedy disk.

“Hmmm...” Lumoof mused. “It still needs more.”

So, I had to borrow. Prabu gladly volunteered. I wrapped my vines around his body, and he sent his star mana into my body. I weaved it through myself, and through the avatar into the disk. 

The disk glowed, and this time, it was enough. Lumoof felt uncomfortable, though. 

The clear glass turned murky and swirled like a witch’s cauldron, and then, it revealed a location and a vision to all that was present.

The heroes were possessed, one resembled a giant demon knight, and another was inside a demonic cage. Their location was not far from the demon king too. 

“Well. There you have it. The heroes.” Lumoof answered, as my presence faded away. “Are you ready to free them?”

 

Hi. Since last week i've been feeling kinda hazy, like there's a brain fog. My brain also feels unfocused, so I've been trying to relax a bit more instead of writing.

 

377