Chapter 1: He’s Fine. Don’t Arrest Me, Please!
439 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He always thought his parents were stupid from the moment he realized what his name meant, for they named him Van, making his full name Van Driver, inspired by a famous American actor. They said it would help him get a job as they were desperate to get out of poverty. They weren't even from this country, they just got stuck because of poor decisions. They lived on the dumps for generations. But thanks to Japan’s excellent education funding, he was able to go to a public school for free. Unfortunately, it was a rough life for Van. It was apparent to everyone that he was poor. He only had one friend throughout his high school life.

“You stink!”
“Wow! Why is your uniform greasy as heck?”
“Get out of here and just be a truck driver or something.”

“Well, fuck all of you!” he finally said.
He dropped out of high school and applied for a job at the nearest company. The employers were doubtful at first of hiring the unpleasant-smelling, unkempt man. But when he uttered his name…

“I’m Van Driver.”
“Holy fuck?! You’re perfect for the job! You will be our company mascot for truck drivers!”
And he was. It was unbelievable, even for him when he first held the steering wheel of the truck. He was absolutely in love with the sound of the honking horn and the vibrations when he freshly starts the engine. He was also surprisingly good at driving. With some magic done by the online-delivery company Amagon, he got his professional driving license. He had such a perfect name that he aired on an Amagon commercial for hiring more truckers.

“Be a driver and meet Van Driver!”
His pay was enough to move his parents to a small home. They got their own jobs and he finally left them, living alone in a small apartment complex. It was a small standard room without anything but a bed and a refrigerator inside. But still, he was content for he finally had his own truck, a blue Lord Transit cargo van with Amagon’s famous logo adorned on its sides. He was also happy he saw his only friend as his neighbor there.

“W-what? Van? What happened to you? You live here now?”
“Same to you. Are you surprised, Takeshi?”
Van looked like an average middle-aged man now. An absolutely normal plain shirt and regular pants. He smelled like nothing too. Only someone who knew him before would be so amazed at this transformation.
They became immediate best friends because of their proximity. It was at this time that Takeshi gave him an Isekai light novel, a genre that tells stories about reincarnations of people who died in their life and transported to another world. This will help Van kill his boredom from the long journeys at the road.

“Thanks, Takeshi. So, what do you do for a living now?”
“I’m a taxi driver.”
“O-oh…”
"It seems that I’m not the only one cursed by his name."

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“Wow! You can do it, Kyousuke-kun!”
It was another long day, and he has to return to the headquarters but he wasn’t bored at all ‘cause he was ultra excited at the progression of the story! The protagonist hero has almost defeated the demon lord! His flips at the book, placed on his steering wheel, got more intense! He can’t take off his eyes in the printed words on the pages. The hero places his hands together and screamed his final spell, Van did the same.

“SUPER POWER: ULTRA KILLING RAY OF DEATH SLASH!”

And he flipped the final page of the novel, with a massive art of the hero with the words, "And… he finally slayed the demon lord!"

“Woohooo!!! Fuck yeahhhhh!!!” This was one of the best moments of his life, second only to being hired as a truck driver. He slaps his face three times and put his eyes on the road once again.
“I can’t let myself be distracted. I’m driving in the middle of a metropolitan area. Gotta focus!”
All of a sudden, a girl wearing a school uniform crossing the street trips in front of the truck. Van quickly pressed the brake pedals and his steering wheel hard. But it was too late.

*flash*
A blinding light hits his eyes as his precious truck comes to a screeching halt. He heard a loud bang in front of him.

“What the fuck?!”
He was always called the best driver at Amagon, and he knew it himself. Zero violations and zero accidents. He never knew a day like this would ever come. He nervously steps out of his van and saw the horrid sight in front of him. A man, wearing a suit and tie much like most salarymen, was what he saw instead of the school girl. He immediately called the nearest ambulance and tried to wake the man up by shaking him vigorously.

“Hey! Wake up! You’re alive… right?!”
He checked his pulse and felt nothing as the victim’s blood gushes on the asphalt road.
“This… this can’t be happening. Is it my fault?” The school girl worriedly said.
“You… it’s not your fault. I’m sorry for what you saw."

 

Before he could comfort the girl, he was suddenly in handcuffs. He tried to remember what exactly happened.
“Hurry up! Don’t resist, you criminal scum!”
“Wait.” He said. He suddenly remembered what happened before he hit the man. Yeah! That was definitely weird! There was that blinding light!

“Oh my God?!” He screamed as was absolutely sure now what has happened was that.
“He must have isekai’d! I swear, officer! He’s still alive in another dimension!”
“Are you fucking insane? His intestines were on the ground! There was no way he could survive.”
“No! Officer! Please! He’s fine! Believe me!”
“Tell that to the judge, you psycho.”

It was impossible to argue with them. Is he wrong? Is he just seeing things? Impossible! Van was a man who never gave up, pulling his family out of poverty. He cannot just give up before he was definitely sentenced to life imprisonment or even death. He was temporarily detained behind bars and sat on one of the concrete chairs attached on the side of the walls. He placed his hands on his face as he wept for the man who lost his life. He believed though, that he was reincarnated as a hero in another world.

“Hey, newcomer. Why are you talking to yourself?”
One of the many prisoners already on that unusually large jail cell approached him, seemingly curious of this new guy.
“So, what’s your crime?”
“I hit someone while driving my truck.”

“Wait… you too?!” All of them yelled in chorus.

12