Chapter 2: Praise the Truck Gods for The Light!
325 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Another one… huh.”

An intimidating aura befalls everyone in the cell as the oldest one inside approached Van. He doesn’t have hair anymore and his face has been wrinkled with time. It was obvious from his ashen eyes the years that passed as he watched as the cycle of more and more people enter the room he used to own all for himself.

“All these years, I’ve been asking this same question to everyone who entered here. And now, it is your time.”

Van was obviously scared as everyone carefully stares at him in the eyes. He wondered if it is because of his slightly foreign look or if his smell became bad again. He took a quick gulp and prepared for the question of the wizened man.

“You are a truck driver, right?”
“Yeah.”
“Did you also see The Light?”
The Light… wait, do you mean that blinding light before I crashed on the guy?!”

Everyone went “Oooooh”. Van was just dumbfounded, wondering if he stumbled on a group of retards. The old man reassured him of his safety and welcomed him in that cell.

“You must know by now that all of us here are also like you, truck drivers who saw The Light. I was the first one to see it, right before I hit that young man with my Matsubishi Fuso Canter back in the 80’s. Ahhhh, that lad of mine had a good run.”

Van was calmed down by the fact that there are also other people that love their trucks a lot. It also made Van much more sure that it was because of the isekai gods that all of them saw the light. The old man introduced himself.

“I used to go by the nickname Mr. Boss. But after a while, it became more like Mr. Bus. You, who are you?”
“…I’m Van. Van Driver.”

Gasps of awe filled the room.

“Amazing! You have the perfect name!”
“Aren’t you that guy in the Amagon commercials?!”

“Y-yeah…”

“We have been conversing about the fate of us here in this jail cell. We all know that there was a light, but we don’t know what it means! It’s infuriating. Decades of waiting in behind this iron bars with the knowledge of all of the coincidences but yet… we still don’t know why!”
Mr. Bus continued with his drivel as he clenches his fist, with everyone intensely focused at every word that escaped at his mouth.
“We have created a society called The Society of the Van, praising the lord of the trucks and vans all over the world, waiting for the chosen one who will explain The Light to us. A lot of us proposed ideas: From it being just the reflection of our headlights to the lord showing us that one day… we will be free from the curse of this rotten existence! But alas, only the chosen one can tell us the truth.”

Everyone there bows down and sang praises to the lord of the trucks, terrifying yet also amusing Van at the same time. It was obviously ridiculous! “Everyone here went crazy!” he thought. But from what he learned ever since his birth… if there is a chance, he must take it. He started to tell them about what he thought was the reality.

“Everyone, have you heard of isekai?”
They shook their heads. Van proceeded to describe isekais in detail.

“Isekai is a genre of light novels about regular people, mostly salary men and teenagers who get transported to another world and become heroes there.”
“What does that have to do with us?”
“They are transported by killing them… using trucks.”

Murmurs filled the air.
“There’s a genre like that?! But, how can you prove that this isekai stuff is what happened to the people we killed?”

Van contemplated deeply. He gathered the full extent of his current knowledge, from the day Takeshi gave his first light novel to this very day. His eyes opened widely as he finally had a moment of eureka. He takes his time and inhales to calm himself down.
“Wait, when did you first arrive here again, Mr. Bus?”
“1983. Why?”
Unbelievable! Absolutely fucking unbelievable!

He spins around in place as he worms his way to the truth. Yeah! He remembered that day when Takeshi invited him to watch the first isekai anime.
Aura Battler Columbine, an isekai anime… was aired in 1983! And a flash of light appeared before he was transported to another world! USING A TRUCK!!!

“HOLY SHIT!!!”
“WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING?!”
“IS THIS FINALLY IT?!”
“VAN DRIVER IS THE CHOSEN ONE!!!”

Everyone went wild! Some were rolling on the floor, some jumping as high as they can, and some screaming to the top of their lungs. A ray of hope shined upon all of them. They cannot believe it! There were so much correlations that it wasn’t just some fancy coincidence! It was reality. The people they killed… are now heroes on another world. They all praised Van Driver, the chosen one, bringer of truth. It was then that another person, the officer guarding the cell, tried catching all of their attention with a slow, but loud clapping.

“Van Driver, was it? I’m impressed.”
“You! You were the one who handcuffed me! One day you will pay for this you fucking bi-”
“Calm yourself, Van. She is one of our greatest allies.”
Mr. Bus pats the back of Van, and tells him to go and listen to the lady in blue.

“That was the best story I’ve heard in years. Tell me, how do you plan to prove your innocence?”
“I…” There was obviously one thing he could think of. He looked at everyone in the eyes and realized that this was bigger than him. Everyone there depended on him, including Mr. Bus.
“We are going to bring them back to this world!”
“And how are you going to do that?”
“Hmm… I need to consult my friend. He’s an isekai expert.”

“Well done.”
The young, lady officer offers Van a handshake, pulls him towards her, and whispers to his ears.
“I will set only you free later this evening. You must contact your friend immediately.”
“Why are you helping us?”
“I have my reasons.”
She pushes him back to his newfound society and before she left the premises, shouts out her name.

“I’m Rori Gyosha. Nice to meet you, chosen one.”

13