Chapter 9: The Wise Ones Look Stupid
122 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The forest was evergreen and filled to the brim with magical contraptions engineered by the brilliant elves, whose knowledge that lasted for thousands of years cannot compare to us measly humans. Maybe that’s why they think of us as we do of ants, complex yet primitive.” Van just recited words from a famous isekai, The Lord of the Wings.

“That’s right. The Wise Ones are scholars and the architects of Alfheim, the forest of the elves. They are ancient beings who lived for millenia. I’m surprised you know a lot about us, I guess elves on different worlds are similar.” The ranger was amused.

“Ahh, no. We three used to be humans, we became like these when we arrived here. And the knowledge comes from… ancient tomes that we recorded.”

“Interesting. Humans in this world are almost extinct, if not for the Hero of the Light.”

“Who is is the Hero of the Light?”

 

While they walked under the canopies of the massive trees, Cillia told the great deeds of the Hero. His story started similar to theirs, staring out in the demon-controlled Newmachi. The elves discovered a human who was being chased, and they helped him out. After the Wise Ones’ investigation of his powers, they saw a large pool of Mana at his mysterious outfit.

Mana… that must be the blue liquid that I saw inside. I shouldn’t be surprised, calling the magic essence Mana is a staple of the isekai genre,” was what ran in Van’s mind as he listened to the ridiculous story of the Hero. If what he thinks is right, they must be going to be inspected by the same Wise Ones for their powers.

“He was trained personally by Tassarion. Hey, didn’t you used hate that kid?”

“He had no knowledge of any magic. It was like teaching a newborn! It takes at least a 100 years to teach the basics! But that human was different. It’s like he was blessed by the gods. To think he defeated an entire battalion of demons after a month of training!” Tassarion looked like he won the lottery.

“Of course. Most isekais are designed to have self-insert main characters, so it makes perfect sense to make him have a bullshit reason to have amazing skills.” Said Van to himself. It sounded like complaining, but Van was actually one of those people who imagines themselves to be the MC of the story.

“Wait. You trained him for a month?”

“Yeah. That's why I'm amazed he did it that quickly.” 

Van and the others looked with suspicion. Cillia sees this and realizes this. “Ahh... Forgive us, former humans. We just think your lifespans are so puny compared to us. I’m actually celebrating my 420th birthday tomorrow!”

Van cannot believe that this hot, teenage looking babe was 420 years old. But now that they are also humanoid creatures, they must live longer in this world! Sadly, Fune was quickly informed that fairies live for 1 year at most.

 

“Wait, when did the ‘Hero’ appear on this world?”

“3 months ago. 3 months and the human is already a living legend.”

If the salaryman is the hero, who died 2 days ago on Japan, was here 3 months ago… then time must pass in this world far slower than Earth. If they are able to convince the hero to return to Earth as fast as they can, they can quickly prove Van’s innocence.

“That would make the sacrifice Rori made worth it.” Van pondered why he immediately thought about the wellbeing of Rori despite being surrounded by hundreds of hot, fantasy elves.

Using Voice Amplification, Fune teased the chosen one. “Hehehe! She’s the perfect girlfriend! Isn’t she, Mr. Van?!”

“WE’RE NOT COUPLES!”

“Ehhh? But she told me... never mind.”

“Otherworlders! We are entering the Royal Library!”

“Library?”

Before they realize that they were following the elves, they found themselves on the footsteps of stone stairs to a building, quite resembling the temples of Korea with its pavillion-like roof made of the trunks of one of the giant trees that seem to penetrate its middle. The building is overall nature themed. Vines hang from the ceiling like curtains, and rose-like flowers form the borders to the pathway to the stone door carved with patterns. The Alfheimians accompanying them opened the door themselves, revealing the large open space inside. Each of the six corners of the hexagonal building are towers of bookshelves, filled with various books written in an unknown language, and at the very center is the trunk of the tree mentioned before. There were some elves, unlike Cillia and Tassarion, who actually looks old with those white beards that scrape along the floors made from intertwined stems, like those grand mages from Lord of the Wings. They immediately knew that they were the so called Wise Ones.

“Umm… but why are they wearing…”

Yeah. It was the perfect fantasy medieval setting! But why?! WHY?!

“WHY THE HELL ARE THEY WEARING A SALARYMAN SUIT?!”

“H-huh? Where am I?!” Sato also just woke up at this moment and freed himself from the arms of Tassarion.

“Quiet, otherworlders. The Wise Ones prefer silence.”

 

It was exactly as Van described. The same dark gray suit, white shirt, black slacks, and a navy blue striped tie. But the fabric it is made of seems… weaker.

“Oho. Who are these people, Cillia? Are they apprentices for the library too? They seem prepared with their Light Armor.”

“…light armor?”

“Excuse me, Wise One. They are people from another world. I thought they might be similar to the hero as they arrived here wearing light armor and so, I brought them here so that you can appraise what they are wearing.”

“Interesting. Very well, Cillia.”

The old elf touched Van’s shoulders and immediately moaned with euphoria.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! T-THIS IS A GREAT TIME TO BE ALIVE!!!”

 

The Wise One snapped his fingers and a large pink cloud appeared, with Fune inside of it, who was now returned to her regular size. He, then, proceeded to also touch the frills of her skirt.

“AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! IT’S THE SAME MATERIAL!!!”

“Mr. Van? I’m scared.”

“Uhhh. It’s ok”

“And now… the vampir-”

*BASH*

“You will not touch me, old elf!”

The young Alfheimians were ready to murder Sato if not for Van and Fune. The Wise One remained on the floor and did a bow like a Japanese would, and begged.

“Otherworlders, STRIP RIGHT NOW!

“WHAT THE FUCK?!”

“Don’t worry, otherworlders. There’s a hot spring nearby that will provide temporary clothes for you in the meantime. He, with other Wise Ones, will just use magic to measure its Mana.”

Because knowing about many isekai novels is not a guarantee of absolute knowledge that will apply to every world, Van and the others accepts their offer. There are different rules for every world. They just arrived at a really weird one.

 

“Oh well. I guess next chapter will be a hot spring one.”

“Who are you talking to, Mr. Van?”

“If we are really in another world right now… we might be in a novel or something. Hahahaha!”

“Is that so?”

Fune waved across the sky to greet the readers in their head.

"That would be nice if this was a novel or an anime."

She looked downcast at her own words.

5