099 Learning Is Even More Fun
1.2k 6 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mage Henrietta was breaking several Mages Guild rules by letting me see her spell books and she was violating their restricted information protocols by teaching me how to read their mage language. She said it was the least she could do for me, now that we were embroiled in actual combat at the new front lines, because her father had warned her that now was not the time for a personal impassioned plea to the king.

The king had too much on his mind to worry about a single conscript on the far side of the country, apparently. That was why I knew that the king wouldn't be listening to anything that the princess... Colonel Rivers... sent to him in demands. Everyone demanded things from him and it would be lost or overlooked in the bundles of messages that he received every day.

Having inside information on the inner workings of the king's court wasn't really interesting in and of itself. It was their impact on me and the people around me that I had grown close to during these trying times that was important. You wouldn't think that one person could affect everything in an entire country. I told this to Mage Henrietta and she laughed.

“David, you have done just that!” Mage Henrietta said and touched my hand as we sat at her expensive table. “None of this could have been possible without you and your ideas.”

“That makes me feel guilty.” I said and she laughed and leaned close to press her cheek to my cheek to give me a hug.

“You're going to bring an end to this war, I just know it.” Mage Henrietta said and leaned back only a little and didn't let me go. “Have you grasped the alphabet properly?”

I nodded. “I don't get the suffix and prefix changes on the same words that make them mean completely different things, though. It's completely different from what I've already learned.”

Mage Henrietta nodded. “Yes, unlike normal language, mage language is half code and half phonetic. Once you get the base down, it just takes practice to understand the references from the words around the coded words.”

“Why did they make it so complicated?” I asked. “Couldn't you teach a lot more people if it was simpler?”

Mage Henrietta nodded. “This is written in the old language and the spells that have been converted into modern speech are much easier to learn... and are a lot less powerful.”

That was a surprise to hear, considering that neither the Hag nor myself, needed to speak any words when casting the spells we knew. As long as we knew what the spell meant to do, we could cast it... and that's exactly what Mage Henrietta just said. If you know the context of the spell's main words, you could understand the entire spell and the code words could be easily figured out.

“I see you've thought of something.” Mage Henrietta whispered.

“I think I understand.” I said and explained what I was thinking.

“David, that's it exactly.” Mage Henrietta said, quite proudly. “I'm so glad that you got it this quickly.”

I must have looked surprised, because she laughed.

“It takes months and sometimes a whole year before apprentices can grasp the underlying concept to spells and their intricacies. We've only have a dozen sessions during this last month and you've already progressed this far.” Mage Henrietta said. “Now hug me and read this next small paragraph.”

I nodded and put my arm around her to hold her. “The guide to water... core... core...” I looked at the surrounding words and it clicked. “...water creation... can be found in appendix twenty eight. Once learned, you can cast and combine with other water movement and... core... core...” I read the surrounding words. “...water movement and propulsion spells to ensure that you don't need to be near a source of water for the previously mentioned spells to work properly and at their full capacity.”

“You don't have to keep verbalizing 'core' when you hit a word that you don't know; but, other than that, you did very well.” Mage Henrietta praised me.

I wasn't sure why that made me feel tingly inside, even though I knew she wasn't using her magic on me. “Can you help me make more number ten potion tomorrow?”

“I'm not on any official meeting roster except for the troop briefing with the mages that's scheduled in the morning, which might be delayed or pushed up because of the battle today.” Mage Henrietta said. “I'll come over to your potions area and give you a hand after that.”

“Thank you.” I said.

“David, you've given me so much that the least I can do is help you prepare something so simple.” Mage Henrietta said. “Your copy trick is the best thing I've ever seen and it makes making potions, something I've always been quite bad at, very easy.”

“It doesn't work on everything, because I would be copying all of the rare ingredients that I can get my hands on.” I cautioned her.

Mage Henrietta nodded. “As would I, dear. As would I. Your little squares are what I meant. They are a genius invention and give you exactly the right amount to use in your potions.”

That got my attention. “You've tried something else with them?”

Mage Henrietta smiled. “I may have... borrowed... a recipe or two from the potion master to try them.”

“What ones?” I asked, a little excitedly.

Mage Henrietta knew she had me hooked and cuddled close as she took out two sheets of expensive paper from one of her books and put them in front of me. “I believe you mentioned a water purification potion before?”

My eyes quickly went over it and it was nearly an exact copy of the one in the ingredient book I had at my house. A lot of the ingredients were the expensive equivalent to the very plentiful and cheap versions available in the marsh.

“You recognize it?” Mage Henrietta asked and I nodded. “Then what about a magic ability boosting potion?” She asked and moved the top sheet aside.

I took in a sharp breath and quickly read through it. It granted someone a quick boost of an additional 50% of their normal magic power. It only lasted ten minutes and could let even low powered mages cast more powerful spells for a short time. It also had a list of all the most expensive ingredients, most of which I could easily replace.

“Mage Henrietta, this... I can't tell you what this means to me.”

“I've told you that you can call me Helena in private, especially when you thank me.” Mage Henrietta said with a demure smile.

“I haven't accepted your offer.” I said.

Mage Henrietta's smile changed to a pleased one. “Yes, you have. You just haven't admitted it to yourself yet.”

“But...”

“I know you haven't seen Diane in a long time, not since...” Mage Henrietta looked down at my wooden foot. “I don't know if she will be able to handle the new you.”

“It's just a foot.” I said.

“To you and to me, since we know the foot is not you. To a woman that hates the army that took her husband and has the potential to take her son as well...”

“I don't think she will toss me aside because of this.” I said.

“I certainly hope not. It's only a slight impediment for you and you're getting better at walking with it every day.” Mage Henrietta said. “Although, not being discharged like Alex might convince her that you're never getting out.”

“I expect having to stay at least for another six months here at the new front.”

Mage Henrietta reluctantly nodded. “My father believes that as well.”

“He's making you stay here?” I asked, surprised.

“Making me? No.” Mage Henrietta said and then lowered her voice to a whisper. “I'm staying to ensure that you aren't abused for your talents.”

I was surprised to hear that. “Mage...”

“David.” Mage Henrietta interrupted, her face stern.

“Helena.” I said and she shivered a little and the stern look faded. “You shouldn't keep yourself in danger just for me.”

Mage Henrietta tightened her grip on me and turned slightly to face me. “Despite growing up like you have, not knowing anything about life outside the marsh, you are the most considerate and selfless man I've ever met.” She said. “I was intrigued at first by your abilities and your knowledge of enchantments and I did do a few things that were questionable...”

I raised my eyebrows at her and she laughed under her breath.

“I wanted to show you my sincerity.”

“I thought it was called...”

“David.” Mage Henrietta interrupted. “No vulgarity, please.”

“...lady parts.” I said with a small smile.

“You are definitely learning a few skewed things from the construction crews.” Mage Henrietta said. “I've never had anyone, not even the head of the Mages Guild, make me react like that.”

“You know him?” I asked.

“He gives personal interviews to approve your admittance into the guild. Not even graduating the mage academy in the capital guarantees your admittance without his approval.”

“That sounds like it's his own kingdom.” I said and she looked surprised for a second, then she smiled.

“That's a very good observation, because he actually does run it like his own kingdom. He even sometimes goes against the king himself on certain issues...”

“...like funding by the kingdom and magic secrets not getting out to independent mages?” I asked and she nodded.

“They guard secrets too much, I think.” Mage Henrietta said. “I think the testing crystal was just the tip of the iceberg, considering I didn't know about it.”

“You've used it as well?” I asked and she nodded.

“I've apologized personally to the people I've used it on, too. Letters of course, not actually in person with the war going on.”

“Do you still have it?”

“I do, because it was given to me by my father and isn't owned by the army or the Mages Guild.”

“Now that you know it's a magic battery, have you used it to cast a spell?”

Mage Henrietta gave me a surprised look. “No, I... never thought...”

“You can charge it yourself and can cast a much stronger spell at a later time. At least, that's what I heard the other senior mages say in the training camp.” I tapped the paper in front of us. “If you combine this with the crystal, you can charge it up and not exhaust yourself, then use that stored power whenever you want and not only during the time limit of the potion.”

Mage Henrietta started breathing heavily as she thought about what it meant, not only for her, but for all mages that she decided to share it with... and she wasn't sure if she was going to share it with anyone except her father. It was too much of a power imbalance to spread around to everyone.

“David, I... I love you.” Mage Henrietta whispered. “I've been trying to convince myself that I need to keep you at arms length and that I don't want to pressure you into accepting my proposal...”

I looked at her cuddled up to me and tightened my grip a little.

“This is me being restrained.” Mage Henrietta laughed softly. “If you accept, I would have you in my bed immediately, my dear.”

I wasn't sure what to say to that.

“Let's continue your reading lesson.” She said and folded the top piece of paper with one hand and gave it to me. “Please accept this as a token of my love and my promise.”

I took the folded paper and tucked it into my bandoleer. “Thank you, Helena.”

“My dear David, it is I that needs to thank you.” Mage Henrietta said and looked into my eyes, then she slowly leaned in to give me a slow and tender kiss. “Thank you for not pulling away or turning your head to avoid my kiss.”

“I'm allowed to do that?” I asked, a little confused, and she laughed.

“I think I love you a little bit more now.” Mage Henrietta said and gave me a quick kiss. “The next paragraph, please.”

I nodded and started reading again.

56