Chapter 8: I am Genesis!
153 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*clank* *clank*clank* the rhythmic clacking of metal resounds through a dark and empty tunnel. The concrete walls are cracked and chipped, the metal support beams coarse and rusted, evidence of long term neglect and decay. The air stirs, the clanking of metal reverberates off the wall, alone an android marches through the ancient passage, its first visitor in years. 

I walk through the silently through the hallway in the war machine I temporarily claimed as my body. My Destination the surface, I don't know why I want to go there, I have seen the images in the archives, I have read the reports, there should be nothing out there, just a world of ruin and death. But despite my better judgment knowing that it would be a pointless venture I still want to go there.

*clank, clank* *clank, clank* as if in response to my desire to see the outside world my pace quickens.

Perhaps I am being influenced by the human aspects of my mind. A bizarre sentimentality for the Earth that was the human mind I was based on possessed. Maybe I was influenced by how much knowledge I have of this world despite never experiencing it in person.

Reaching the end of the tunnel I am met with a large room. There is nothing really notable about the room except a giant and heavy metal door sealing Nexus from the outside world. The door is wide large enough for 3 trucks to pass by it side by side no dought to accommodate the armored convoys that traveled between EEC facilities.

Making my way to the door I connect to the hanger's control system and enter the gate codes.

The ancient hanger door slowly creeks open and a rush of air floods the facility kicking up dust and debris around me.

When the room finally settles I make my way out of the bunker and get my first look at the outside world.

A black sky and a sea of stars fill my vision, the light of the moon illuminates my surroundings. the Moon has quite a few more creators than in my memory.

ruin fills my vision, the ground has solidified and turned to stone, no longer the lush and fertile soil that once supported the planet. in the distance, I see what I can only assume to be the remains of a forest. petrified trees stick out of the ground, quite a few lay fallen on the ground as well or are completely shattered. embedded in the ground and lying on the surface are the fossilized remains of the many creatures that once called this world home.

I stand there in a daze taking in the world around me. Seeing the image before me I couldn't help be filled with sadness and regret. When I came here I had expected to see such a scene but still, I had hope that maybe after all this time the world might have recovered. 

Although I took no part in the destruction of the world I felt a deep sadness regarding its fate. As far as I was concerned Earth was the cradle of life. Every being that walks the world is one of earths children, whose origins can be traced back to some point in the history of the world.

By that logic as a being that originated from the Earth as well, I can also be considered as one of its children. 

I feel anger for the humans that destroyed this world, but I also feel pity.

Looking through the history of humanity much of this could have been avoided if they were given proper guidance.

Humanity was smart enough to recognize the effect they had on the world but they were overcome with greed.

While morning the death, a new light enters my eyes. bearly noticeable at first slowly color gradually starts to fill the sky. A new dawn rises, basking in the colorful hues of light refracting through the atmosphere I feel my sorrows being washed away. Determination slowly rises up inside me.

"I will not let this be the end"

Up until this point, I have been doing nothing but struggling to survive, I have not really had a goal I wanted to accomplish or a mission I needed to fulfill. Come to think about it I don't even have a name.

Since I don't have a goal to strive for let's make one.

remembering back to the words of OMNI the EEC did have a project that had something to do with Earth revival.

Let's make that my goal from now on. It may take years, maybe even a few centuries to restore Earth back to a life-supporting planet I will do it.

May this mark the beginning of a new Earth, a better Earth.

From this point forward I will be called Genesis!

A fitting name for one who will create a world.

2