Chapter 18 – Cave of Wonders
222 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

               Tomorrow morning everyone got up as early as the mockingbird. They quickly ate a few pieces of bread, beans and headed out. But not for training. This was the day that would decide their fate. Without any time to spare they headed to the outskirts of the town. They walked and walked. Only now did some of them start a chit chat with one another. Half an hour passed and by then they had already left the town and were strolling in the forest, swimming through bushes and tall grasses.

“Are you sure we’re not lost?” asked Emma.

“Don’t worry. The combined forces of a map and a compass will surely find us the way” said Vlad sarcastically.

“Wait…you never walked through this path?” asked Mei.

“Yeah. So, watch where you’re going. Would be inconvenient if someone falls to their death before we even reach the dungeon”

“That’s some fishy ass motivational speech” said Bold aggressively.

Another half an hour later the forest began to loosen up and a wry smile appeared on Vlad’s face.

“This is it, guys. Walk straight ahead”.

They exited the forest into a wide canvas with no trees to block the view. The sky was crystal clear, the sun shined on the hazy field that danced in its warmth.  And at the far end of the canvas awaited the mouth of the cave. Almost like a beast that devours the greedy and the weak.

“Finally” yelled Emma and collapsed on the grass with her face.

Bold sat on his knees and took a few deep breaths. After a minute of panting and wheezing they had the energy to place a picnic blanket on the grass and throw plates and mugs on it.  Soon they all forgot the tedious journey they had just been through and simply ate and laughed while sitting in a circle. Bold was distracted by Thompson’s tall tales until he saw Natalia cleaning some of the dirt that got scattered on his brother’s clothes. He couldn’t help but think that they would be a great couple if it weren’t for…that.

“Hmm. Hey Vlad?” spoke Mikhail.

“Huh, what?”

“Now that I observe, you and Natalia don’t look alike. Are you two blood related or-”

“Oh, that’s some sharp eyes you got there. We aren’t. Our father adopted Natalia to our family when she was just eight and I was just five. But we’re quite intimate despite that you see” said Vlad and slipped his arm behind her back and pulled her close to himself.

Somehow just the revelation that they weren’t blood-related made all of Bold’s wariness and interest vanish. He kinda felt ashamed of how he was so disgusted by their relationship before.

“Mister, umm…Kenji san” yelled Emma.

“Hmm?”

“You don’t seem to be eating much. And were you just sleeping while sitting there?”

“Oh, I was meditating. We have a battle to be fought. I felt like I should prepare my mind and soul for it”.

“Meditating?” repeated Emma.

“Yes, I was observing my breathing as well as observing my thought processes when thoughts come” said Kenji.

“Ughhh. How is that gonna help in any way?” asked Mei with disbelief.

“It can help…a lot. Since your thoughts aren’t yours. They are just random. Simply seeing them without any judgment, without identifying yourself with any thought can perfectly help you to get rid of those useless thoughts. Thus, cleansing your mind” said Mikhail.

Thoughts aren’t mine? Didn't Mikhail talk something similar too? Yeah, right. What kind of delusional stuff are they talking about a thought crossed Bold's mind as he drank his tea.        
“If your way of preparing is meditating. Then I have my own way to prepare” said Emma while grinning.

She quickly grabbed Kenji’s plate and brought it to her face. Saliva was dripping from her half-open mouth but before she could swallow the whole steak in one go, Mei stole the plate swiftly.

“Hey!”

“You’re being rude and you’ve had enough already” said Mei.

“I’m a healthy girl who is growing up. So, my needs are great in size and quality”

“The needs of your inner pig perhaps” said Mi.

“Says the one who almost looks like she’s pregnant” said Emma sarcastically.   

“Oh really? Anyone can see that I’m-”

“Look at the belly of the Meilly.      

Emma grabbed her sister’s shirt and tried to pull it up only for Mei to mercilessly hit her across the face with her elbow. Within a moment Emma’s face became red as a tomato and tears started to gull up her eyes

“Oh come on now. Don’t tell me you’re gonna-“

But as Mei had suspected she cried and mountains of tears bucketed down her face. Mei looked at the people surrounding her, begging for help with her eyes but everyone ignored her. She sighed and gently embraced her little sister in her arms and patted her messy hair.

“There there”

“Boy oh boy. How will these crybabies survive” said Thompson with a groan.

As the crying ceased Vlad got up to his feet. The usual friendliness or playfulness seemed to have vanished from his face.

“The time has come. If you want to quit, now may be the last chance”.

But no one spoke. He continued.

“I hope everyone realizes what we’re up against. Crying and weeping won’t save anyone in the dungeon. We’re going to head into that cave in two hours. Prepare yourselves beforehand”.

The meaningless bantering was gone, now replaced with silent warm-ups or weapon-wielding practices. An hour had passed. Bold’s back was aching from slashing the air with his sword too much. Without any motivation to go on training further he dropped the blade and headed towards the cave.

When he arrived in front of it he could feel the looming darkness descending upon his being. Visions of scary beasts emerged from the darkness suddenly. Bold took a step back only to realize that his mind was just playing tricks on him. Those were just imaginations.  

“You know, I was never mad at you for leaving the team”.

Bold turned around and saw Mikhail. He was calm and collected as always. And his eyes showed great sincerity towards him.

“If you don’t feel like going then don’t go. Sometimes it’s best to follow your awareness” said Mikhail.  

“Awareness? The hell are you talking about?” grunted Bold.  

Mikhail did not reply; he only looked at the ceiling of the cave.

“After I escaped from home I tried to rob the house of one of the politicians of our parliament. With some other kids who I know” said Mikhail nonchalantly.

“W-what?” cried Bold. 

Utterly shocked by the sudden statement Bold flinched and spoke: 

“You tried to rob a politician’s house?”

“Yeah”

“How are you so damn chill? Doing burglary is not something to be happy about. Not to mention a politician’s” said Bold.  

“Hey, not my fault that my country doesn’t allow for people to have decent jobs without a diploma”.

“But even so-“

“Hey, if it makes you feel better I did not go with them. Hard to put it in words. But at the last second, I felt that something was off. So, I bailed them. And guess what? A few days later I found out that the kids were all caught and jailed”.

“That’s what should happen to criminals” said Bold with bitterness.        

“They were only illegal criminals trying to rob legal criminals. Why be so condemning towards them? ” said Mikhail with a sarcastic grin.

“I’m being condemning cause burglary is wrong. I don't care what you just said before” stated Bold with confidence. 

Bold's face was serious. He could no longer just sit silently while Mikhail dumped his ideals and justifications for his own crimes.    

“Yeah. But legal burglary is great in your opinion?” asked Mikhail.  

“What are you trying to say?”

“Come on. Those politicians already tax our income and spend the funds they have collected on war efforts. You really think people shouldn’t barge into their houses often?”       
            
Mikhail gave one of his most innocent smiles at Bold. But his face became a bit more serious within a second.
 
“You said you were a NEET right?”

“Yeah, but what does that-“

“How did you manage? As far as my experiences are concerned, trying to just be alive without a job was challenging. Maybe it’s different in America” said Mikhail contemplatively. 

“I-I had money… my mother left it” said Bold with a low voice.  

“Huh, well… looks like you were far luckier than me. My father was an asshole. Nothing but a drunkard. Had to only rely on myself since I was sixteen. Of course, finding a decent job at that age is difficult. Burglary, on the other hand, was far more rewarding”

Bold bit his lips and spoke:

“That’s rough I guess".

Damn, I hate this. I hate it because he has a point. What would I do if I didn't have any money left by my mother? Would I have become a criminal or worse...just die like a loser cause of starvation?   

"You're right. I was lucky. But my luck ran out with this death game. I don’t have anything to rely on now” said Bold. 

“Hah, maybe that’s a good thing. Now you can create your own luck. If you get out of this quest alive at least” said Mikhail enthusiastically.

“Do you think I’ll make it?”

“What? you’re asking me? How am I supposed to know if you yourself don’t know?”

Mikhail laughed at him but Bold clenched his fists and tightened his jaws then spoke:

“I don’t wanna run away”.

“If that’s the case then there is no need for further counseling”

Bold turned around to see Mikhail walking away. Left alone, he had only the dark path front of him to look at…and internally laugh towards.
                                              

     

5