Chapter 22 – The Silence of The Lambs
94 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The tunnel was lit up by the small crystal shards on the ceiling so it wasn’t hard for Bold to navigate. He looked back to see if Pak was following them but it seems that was not the case. And soon enough different paths appeared in front of them. Bold randomly took turns, there was no time to think and wherever the path leads them, as long as they were getting far far away from that green-haired freak, it was fine for Bold. And soon they were out of the tunnel and were treading in a wide area.

There was no ceilings but the giant emeralds and crystals on the ground illuminated their path. It was enough for his horse to tread calmly upon. Bold silently rode his horse. He did not want to utter anything or believed that he shouldn’t say anything. What happened was the past and all he had was the present. Suddenly a person wrapped their arm around his back and threw him off of his horse along with themselves.

“You idiot. You moron!”

When Bold turned around, he saw Emma with tears rushing down her cheeks. His stomach immediately flipped upon seeing her red face. While he remained with guilt and sorrow, she punched him on the chin and pushed his shoulders with all her might to the ground.

“You left her all alone with that maniac. How could you?!”

She punched his chest over and over with her small hands. They lacked the strength to hurt him. Likely from scorpion tail’s poison or just from sadness itself. Her shoulders shook as she wept. She tried to hide her swollen red face with her hands. Bold watched her with a silent melancholy.     

“I-I…I could have saved her and you-“

“I’m sorr-”

“SHUT UP. JUST SHUT UP” cried out Emma. 

She sprang up to her feet and clenched her fists tight. And she said with a shallow tone:

“I’m going back”

She turned around and walked away. As if waking up Bold shook his head, pushed the ground and got up to his feet. He ran after her and grabbed her arm.

“D-don’t be stupid”

“Let me go” yelled Emma.

“That guy is dangerous. He has no heart or remorse. And we threw at him everything we had and it still didn’t work. How could we-“

This time Emma laughed. Bold became doubtful whether he heard right. She turned around this time with a taunting grin on her face.

“You coward. You stupid FAT escapist”.

She slapped his face and Bold looked at her with confusion.

“You’re on the side of that maniac, aren’t you? You two are just working together”

“Have you lost your mind?” roared Bold but Emma only laughed.

“Man, you’re terrible. You’re a true pathetic loser…I’m not like you. I can go back there and beat that bastard with one arm tied behind my back. I’m strong. I’m STRONG, STRONG, STRONG. UNLIKE YOU”

“Emma”

When Bold took a step towards her she pushed him away with both arms.

“Stay away. I hate you. I’m gonna kill that fucker myself and you can’t stop me”.

Her face was now twitching and a wry smile had appeared on her face. But as time passed, it became clear. All was a mask. She tried her best, no doubt. But beyond the messed-up smiles and the riled up tone…was a girl. A girl that had become deeply wounded. He took one step forward.

“I told you to-“

He took another step.

“Why won’t you listen to me”.

Slowly Bold raised his hands and brought them close to her and caressed her cheeks. He could feel it. Her anger, her resentment and her despair. No matter what expression she made the glassy eyes of her reflected the girl that tried to bear through it all.  

“What are you doing? Why are you looking at me like that?”

Bold came even closer and wrapped his arms around her neck.

“I’m sorry, Emma. I’m really sorry. But it’s over”

“What are you saying? I-I can. I should be able to-“

Bold could feel her warmth, the shivering of her body. 

“W-why? Why is everything like this? Don’t say something like that”

All the strength in her legs gave up and Bold slowly descended and sat on the ground with Emma in his arms.

“Why d-did this-s h-happen?”             

She burst into tears and cried in agony. Bold silently caressed her silky hair. He may not have been able to save her sister. But at least, this much he could do. At least this much.

5