Chapter 31 – Ego vs Compassion
70 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seeing the confused expression on Bold's face Mikhail continued:

"Don't let the past, don't let your mind influence you. You're not a loser. Even if you were a NEET in the past, it is a hardly a label I would describe you as now. And the you of the past is different from the you that is standing before me. But please. Do not swing to the opposite extreme of laziness and lethargy. That is just one other disease".

Bold opened his eyes. He kind of got what he was saying. But he didn't know why Mikhail used specific words such as the mind and swinging. Wasn't Bold himself the mind?

Mikhail smiled and continued:

“Bold, please, love yourself. Think of your health. Self-torture won't help anyone. If you run around carelessly, you just might lose both of your legs”.

Bold looked down at his aching legs but quickly raised his head and frowned.

“You don’t know that”

Mikhail’s eyes widened at the sudden retort but he spoke back:

“It’s still not a good idea to push yourself”.

“I’m coming with you whether you like it or not. Even if I'm not exactly in the best shape, I can still help you save Gabi” said Bold confidently.

Seeing his electric eyes and fearsome face Mikhail sighed.

“All right. But Bold. You already saved Emma. You already fought your battles. The way you're acting now seems a bit egocentric don't you think?" asked Mikhail.

Bold was puzzled by the statement. Thompson gritted his teeth and raged:

"Hey, what the hell are you saying? This lad here just wants to help? How is that self-centered?"

"Bold, if you're doing this just to make yourself look useful, then stop this nonsense. It's not going to help anyone. You are merely being driven by your ego. You aren't special enough to withstand your physical disabilities with sheer willpower. No one is" said Mikhail firmly with scolding eyes.

"I-I...I just want to help" mumbled Bold.

"You helped enough. Now you just want to overdo it just to feel good about yourself" said Mikhail coldly.

Bold gritted his teeth and looked at him angrily and spoke:

"Don't misunderstand. I care about you. I care about what happens to Diego's sister even if she is just a stranger. I... I don't want to see another person lose someone special to them".

Seeing the flames in his eyes a smirk appeared on Mikhail's face.

"That's more convincing. If you're truly passionate about this, then who am I to push you down? Let’s go then” said Mikhail.

Bold smiled back, turned around and walked towards the forest. The others followed him.

After walking for just twenty minutes, Bold realized that he overestimated himself. Seeing the pained look on his face, Mikhail summoned his four gentlemen. The men all combined their strengths to effortlessly carry Bold by lifting all four of his limbs.

Bold was obviously ashamed of the situation but the others did not care to mock him. They quickly moved into the depths of the forest. Soon they arrived at the designated area. The treeless circular canvas that was wrapped in marry gold.

“Here it is” said Diego.

Bold slumped on the ground and rested his back on a tree.

“When will the men come?” asked Kenji.

“In an hour” answered Diego.

“Good, that’s more than enough time to rest up and search the place” said Mikhail.

He dug into his bag and pulled out a golden box from it.

“Well, I’m a man who keeps my word”

Diego bowed towards Mikhail, said “Thank you” and took the box full of gold from him.

“Here” said Bold as he stretched his arm towards Diego. In his hand, he also had his golden box.

“Are you sure?” asked Diego.

“Yeah. You deserve it” said Bold with a smile.

“Thanks. I-I don’t know what to say, really” said Diego and took the box happily.

Within twenty minutes they searched the place and became familiar with their surroundings. There weren’t any traps or human-made objects in the vicinity. What they did find was a long and tall bush where they could conceal their presence while still having a clear view of the canvas.

Now all they had to do was wait. During this time, Bold’s legs rested enough for the aching to disappear and his mana had recharged to full. They were completely silent during this time. Until finally getting bored, Thompson spoke:

“So, Bold. Your shagai shoot. What is the meaning of it? I mean, what even is a shagai? Why is it named like that?” asked Thompson.

“It means anklebone in Mongolian. The children of my country play with them” said Bold calmly.

“Bloody what? The people of your country play with anklebones?”

“It's animal anklebones” corrected Bold stoically.

“Okay. But what is the need of playing with anklebones in the first place?”

“It’s a nomad tradition. You seriously think people have toy stores out in the countryside?”

“Hey, shush. I hear something” said Kenji.

3