03.Heroic Skill
513 11 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Osteen's lands comprise an agricultural area. There is no village around, but a large number of peasants and woodcutters live scattered throughout the territory.

As for the coming of age ceremony held in early spring, and which is normally carried out in some temple in villages and cities, the Osteen offers one of their warehouses every year so that this celebration can be carried out and the Temple sent a priest is from the nearby city of Enaria.

After awakening my memories and skills yesterday, I locked myself in my room for the rest of the day to organize my memories and ideas.

With the dawn of the new day, from the window of my room I observe how the peasants are arriving at the grounds of the mansion, and how the old warehouse that was emptied during the winter is slowly preparing for the celebration.

Two knocks are heard at my door, I turn and watch Marquis Osteen, my father.

"Good morning father"

"Your mother has told me that she has already communicated you my decision to send you to Enaria" —my father ignores my greeting while his face reflects the total disapproval that I caused him.

I just silent nod.

"What she did not tell you, is that I will take advantage of the priest's presence during the ceremony to ask him to remove your name from the family registry"

I raise an eyebrow while remaining silent. I would not have imagined that his rejection of me would go that far, although at this point it is not something that really matters to me.

“Even so, I will not completely ignore you, despite everything, and as much as I am ashamed, I am still your father. I will pay your registration to the Enaria Magic Academy, as for the rest, your sister and her husband have offered to take care of you ”

The latter does not surprise me so much, my older sister was the only one whose treatment towards me never changed.

"Prepare what you think is necessary, you will leave for Enaria once the ceremony is over"

"Understood, father"

My father blinks a few times in surprise because of my calm aptitude. After a couple of seconds of silence, he huffs angrily and leaves.

"Osteen? Why should someone like me who killed the Demon King Ipheria and his four generals be concerned about losing such an insignificant name?” —I turn my gaze to the window to look once more at the old warehouse. “That place will be where I will rise once more, and this time, it will not be for the benefit of the Gods who turned their backs on me, nor for humanity for which I sacrificed so much without receiving anything in return. This time I will rise up for my own convenience, and I will rise over the ashes of the legacy of those who betrayed me”

Around noon, I finally leave my room, I wearing all white to go to the celebration.

I go down the stairs and leave the mansion, my family being the hosts, they must already be in the old warehouse.

I leave the mansion and walk towards the old warehouse, in my mind flow all the abuse and insults that I have suffered since it was discovered that I did not possess any skill.

The peasants who are also going to the old warehouse look at me, but they do not show me the slightest respect that they should show to a noble.

Without the support of my family, even the peasants look down on me.

I enter the warehouse ignoring the glances of the peasants. At the end of the place, I can see my father, my mother and my older brother talking happily with the priest.

On the left wall I see four children wearing completely white. Immediately I go towards that place while I look in more detail inside the old warehouse.

Various wooden planks have been arranged to serve as benches for the peasants. The back wall has been adorned with beautiful red curtains, and a silver tub filled with water is placed on a table.

Once I arrive with the group of children who wear white, they leave their talk behind as their smiles fade. Their glances at me are less subtle than the rest of the peasants.

In response to his attitude, I look at them from head to toe and then look at my clothes and then smile. This causes visible anger in them. Their clothes are full of spots and they even have some patches, as for mine, my clothes are immaculate white.

“Thank you all for coming to this celebration in which we bid farewell to the winter goddess and welcome the spring goddess. In addition to that we also celebrate the coming of age of our children ”—the priest begins the sermon.

The peasants have taken a seat on the wooden planks, my family has done so on wooden chairs arranged next to the priest.

After several minutes of sermons about the gods, the priest finally proceeds with the coming of age ceremony.

Sticking to social etiquette, the priest begins first with the children of the peasants.

One of them approaches the table containing that silver tub, the priest recites a spell, and the water inside the tub lights up.

Following the priest's instructions, the boy introduces his right hand into the tub. The water shows no reaction and some people among the peasants let out a heavy sigh of disappointment.

The previous procedure is repeated and the result of the second child is the same, he does not possess any skill. The result of the third child is no different.

The fourth child comes and when he puts his hand in the tub, and the water finally shows a reaction. The water in the tub emits a noticeable white glow and everyone stands up.

"A skill!" —exclaims the priest with enthusiasm.

In front of looks full of envy and joy, the boy withdraws his hand from the water.

"Let's see what the gods have destined for you" —the priest places his right hand on the boy's head and begins to recite a spell.

A translucent parchment appears above the child's head. The priest gestures with his hand and that scroll moves in front of his face.

"Accurate Shoot... a skill for the use of the bow!"

In response to the priest's words, several applauses echo through the small warehouse.

A person who possesses a skill cannot use it until they have first seen its info scroll, it is for this reason that this ceremony is so important for those who are not able to afford a magician.

"Once the ceremony is over, come see me accompanied by your parents to talk about your future"

After receiving those words from my father, the boy returns to his place while showing me a look full of mockery.

"Enjoy your future as a dog on service of the nobles" —I whisper to him as I walk towards the stage.

Once I am in front of the priest, silence takes over the old warehouse.

"Before continuing, the Marquis has asked me to remove your name from the register of his family" —after clearing his throat, the priest exclaims that and several 'oh' of surprise are heard behind me.

“Please proceed, Father” —I show my right hand to the priest as I feign the respect that the Gods' servants supposedly deserve.

The priest blinks a few times in surprise, then proceeds to take my hand. Immediately he begins to recite a spell and a warm sensation arises in my hand.

"It's done, I have finished modifying your name in the temple register, from today you will no longer carry the name Osteen" —the priest releases my hand.

The temple safeguards accurate records of every living and dead person through magic, age, place of birth, and parents. This has been the same way since before Ipheria reached the center of the continent with her armies.

Out of the corner of my eye I can see my father nodding in satisfaction. My mother is embarrassed while my brother is laughing.

"Let us proceed with the ceremony" —exclaimed the priest, pointing to the tub.

Even if the nobles can pay a magician to find out if their children have a skill several years in advance, this does not exempt them from performing the ceremony.

Therefore, even if everyone here supposedly already knows the result, I must proceed to put my hand in the water.

As I bring my hand to the water, I can see my father closing his eyes.

My hand touches the water, and just when someone behind me seems to start laughing, the water emits a powerful golden glow.

"A heroic skill!" —exclaims the priest with enormous surprise.

My father's eyes widened immediately upon seeing the golden glow, he almost falls out of his chair. My mother blinks in disbelief as the expression on my brother's face freezes.

Under the screams of surprise behind me, I pull my hand away from the water and the golden glow disappears.

"Let's see what it is…" —exclaims the priest with enthusiasm as he places his hand on my head.

The priest recites a spell, a translucent scroll appears above my head, and everyone is holding their breath.

"Achilles... a high-level heroic skill specialized in close combat!" —the priest exclaims with even more enthusiasm.

Common skills only serve one function, Accurate Shot only serves to make an arrow hit the target set by the person who owns the skill.

However, heroic skills are not that simple. Each heroic skill comprises a set of abilities, and in this, demonic skills are quite similar to heroic skills.

Taking my own skill Achilles as an example, gives me speed, dexterity, physical strength, and unmatched battle instincts. Now using 'Anubis' as an example, this high-level demonic skill gives me the ability to use Necromancy without the need for chants or ingredients to serve as catalysts.

Of course, the effects of a heroic skill or a demonic skill are not immediately full, the wearer must continuously use his skill to improve his control over it.

In my case, my control over the heroic skill Achilles is at its maximum, while with the demonic skills, Anubis and Loki I still have a long way to go to be able to use them in the same way that their fearsome originals wielders did.

As for Prometheus, from the information I can get about this skill thanks to my mental bond with it, I know that it is as simple as it seems; it is enough for me to take the life of some intelligent being who has a skill to claim that skill as my own.

Now, as far as the skill Osiris is concerned, this is a single-use skill, if I die, I won't be reincarnated a second time.

I return to reality and I subtly observed my father, his face reflects total disbelief, and his mind seems unable to process what happens.

"Impossible! This is stupid, that worthless one doesn't have any skills!” —surprising everyone, my brother stands up and exclaims that furiously.

"There is no mistake, the water consecrated to the God of Light has shown it" —answers the priest calmly.

"There must be an error, the result is wrong!" —my brother replies to the priest with even more anger.

"How dare you question the will of the Gods? Who are you to accuse the God of Light like that? ” —before the visibly upset priest speaks, I intervene with those words.

As someone trained by the Temple of the God of Light, I have enough knowledge to misrepresent my brother's words at my convenience.

"You…!" —my brother's face flushes red with anger, however, before he can finish his words, he receives a sharp slap that leads him to fall on his behind.

My father is finally out of his shock.

"I apologize for the foolishness and ignorance of my son" —my father inclines his head slightly towards the priest.

It is more skillful than I thought.

If my father had not interrupted my brother in such a striking way, the priest's patience would probably have been exhausted, and this would very surely have the priest led to my brother being accused of heresy.

“Although it is a rare event, it is not something that has not happened before. It is the will of the Gods ”—adds my father clearly referring to my situation.

What he says is true, on very few occasions it happens that someone who did not possess a skill during his coming of age ceremony, later ends up awakening a skill.

"This is surely a blessing from the Gods to our family for our great devotion" —my mother stands up and declares that.

Behind me you can hear several 'congratulations Marquis'.

My father agrees to my mother's words.

"A bright future awaits you, my dear Reiner, the Dukes' daughters will line up to try to become your wives" —adds my mother.

My father nods at my mother's words again. No doubt both are imagining scenarios where the Dukes come to them to offer their daughters in marriage, and with it the two of them would be covered in jewels and treasures.

In anticipation of what follows, a sinister smile loaded with mockery tries to take shape on my lips.

10