11.Conspiracy
402 6 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Count Udo Mayr, that's the name my first zombie spoke.

Hear that name caused my blood to boil with anger. This is the same man who almost bought my sister.

Apparently Count Udo Mayr manages much of the Enaria black market. Dwarf alcohol, and prohibited magic items among many other things, businesses that have been quite hindered since the current governor of Enaria took office.

With such a stone in his shoe, the Count has made some unknown move to speed up the change of governor in Enaria. The problem is that, despite his efforts, Count Mayr is only second on the list of successors below Baron Ren'Lai.

Adding this problem to some kind of great personal rancor towards Baron Ren'Lai, Count Mayr plans to assassinate the Baron. Details that, of course, an unimportant individual within the Count's scheme as my zombie is unknown.

As for the Count's personal grudge towards the Baron, this probably has to do with my sister.

"So, I will destroy that bastard and pay off my debt to Baron Ren'Lai"

The scenario seems ideal, and if I handle things the right way, I will end up getting quite a few points in the guild.

As for the smuggling operation that these two carry out, nothing will happen until after dark. It will be that other Count Mayr's men come here with horses to take the wagons with the dwarf alcohol towards Enaria.

"I suppose you will need your partner" —after saying that to the zombie, I turn my gaze to the other smuggler's lifeless body.

I move closer to the second body and place my hand on his forehead. A dark mist spreads across the man's skin as the oil lamps flicker.

The second smuggler's body shudders violently and his eyes widen. With the ax still stuck in his chest, the man stands awkwardly.

"Both will have to be good zombies and pretend to continue their work"

"Yes… master…"

Normally creating smart zombies is something that only the most skilled necromancers achieve. As for me, thanks to my Anubis skill, at the moment I can create zombies that possess a certain intelligence, and additionally, I can perceive a mental link with both zombies.

These two could not pass as humans under normal circumstances, but considering the scenario, it will be easy for them to fool the men who will come to collect the carts. The darkness of the night and a few of those extinguished oil lamps will help.

In the worst-case scenario, they will have to kill their old companions and I will have to redo my plan.

"Fulfill your role perfectly or I will incinerate you"

"Yes... master..." —both zombies respond in unison.

Hiding the wounds that deprived them of their lives and their unhealthy appearance will be easy thanks to the poor lighting and some flimsy illusions that I can create with my current mastery of the Loki skill.

After finishing instructing the two zombies, I take one of the glass bottles filled with dwarf alcohol and leave the old mine.

By the time I cross the city gate, it is a little past noon. Thanks to the great physical condition give to me by my Achilles skill, I has taken me less than the time to return to the city, and I hardly feel a bit of exhaustion.

I do not go to the guild but return to the Ren'Lai mansion as fast as I can.

After greeting Jin, I enter the mansion and the first person I meet in the corridor is Rita.

"Rita, is Mr. Klein at the mansion?"

"Mr. Klein is in the garden with Mrs. Elysa”

I nodded in appreciation and then immediately headed for the garden.

As I go out into the garden, I watch my sister and Klein sitting by a small table having tea while they chat and laugh quietly.

"You came back, how about your first mission?" —Klein smiles at the sight of me.

"I'm glad you returned safely" —my sister smiles after letting out a sigh of relief.

I walk to the place where they both meet.

"I'm afraid the mission has been much more problematic than anyone could have imagined"

Hearing my words, Klein frowns slightly as my sister is confused.

I put the bottle of dwarf alcohol on the table and they both blink in confusion.

"What is this?" —Klein takes the bottle in his hands and looks at it.

"Dwarf alcohol, the mine is full of it"

Klein's eyes widen and my sister brings her hands to her mouth.

"Smugglers?"

"It's even much more complicated"

Klein narrows her eyes as she puts the bottle back on the table.

"What could be more complicated than this?"

"A conspiracy to assassinate the main candidate to become the next governor of the city"

My sister's face pales as Klein immediately stands up.

I tell my sister and Klein a convenient version of what happened in the abandoned mine.

In this story, I took a bottle of dwarf alcohol as evidence and withdrew after hearing about the conspiracy to assassinate Baron Ren'Lai. As Count Mayr's name came up, my sister's body shuddered as Klein showed an angry expression for the first time.

"Did you inform the guild of this yet?"

"No, I considered that this could end up alerting Count Mayr and instead I came directly here"

Klein nods in satisfaction as he ponders his thoughts.

"From what you heard, we can't even trust the current governor" —Klein exclaims as he paces back and forth with his right hand on his chin.

According to Klein, the official reason the governor change process has sped up is that the current governor himself is resigning from office. From what I heard from zombies, we can deduce that the current governor is being coerced by Count Mayr.

"From the rotation of the guard at the city gates, Count Mayr does not have full control over Count Paris" —my sister finally joins the conversation. Count Paris is the current Governor of Enaria.

"That is true, but that does not mean that Count Paris is going directly face Count Mayr, if he had the intention, he would have already done so and would not be hindering the operations of Count Mayr" —answers Klein.

Surely going to the governor for help would be too risky.

"When does Baron Ren'Lai plan to return to Enaria?"

"They should be on its way..."

The silence caused by Klein's answer to my question is caused by our sudden understanding of the situation. The best way to assassinate the Baron is to attack him on his way back to Enaria, that way the event can be attributed to bandits.

"We must then go to the guild master"

Hearing my suggestion, Klein stops moving and looks at me thoughtfully.

"Don't you think the guild master might work for Count Mayr?"

Discovering that Count Mayr manages the black market in Enaria caused many things to click in Klein's mind. Count Mayr has many people secretly working for him in the city.

"If it were that way, then we wouldn't know about this and I would do any other quest."

Klein's eyes widen in response to my words.

If Count Mayr had influence over the guild master, the quest to investigate the abandoned mine had not been published, the guild would have directly assigned it to some trusted adventurer to pretend to carry it out.

In their time as Count Mayr's men, the two zombies would never have worried about the dispatch of adventurers to the mine because of the torches they were forced to use at night to transport alcohol.

"We should immediately go talk to the guild master"

"Wait, brother Klein"

"What's going on? We cannot waste time, the life of my father, my brother and his family are hanging by a thread!”

"If you go to the guild dressed that way and show your identity, wouldn't that be too flashy?"

Klein's eyes widen in surprise again.

"It's true, you're right, Reiner"

Klein called Rita and ordered her to ask Jin to bring the simplest clothes he had.

With Klein wearing Jin's simple clothes and a hood like the farmers usually wear while plowing the fields, Klein and I immediately headed for the guild.

As expected, the adventurers didn't pay much attention to Klein, and we easily reached the counter by the stairs.

"How can I help you?"

"I'd like to see the guild master" —I reply as I show my adventurer plate.

"The guild master is a busy man, I will gladly attend to any matter instead"

As expected, it would not be that simple.

"I understand, in that case, could you please inform the guild master that a woman in the brothel has become pregnant and has said that he is the father of the child?"

Hearing my words, the woman's face completely pales.

"The guild master should be unemployed at the moment and I have too much work to do, so why don't you come in and tell him this... urgent news?"

The trustworthy old maneuver never fails. Only a naïve woman would take such a message to her boss, but she also couldn't feel calm if she was blamed for not telling him before the story spread throughout the city.

Yes, it is not the first time that I use this maneuver to meet someone important.

Following the woman's instructions, Klein and I climbed the stairs, our destination is on the third floor.

"You really have undergone a complete change, Reiner"

As we walk up the stairs, I hear Klein exclaim behind me.

"Is that so?"

"You have changed, and you have done it for the good, coming to me instead of immediately coming to the guild to report what you found in the mine, and what happened before with that woman, I could not think of any other way that allowed us to see the guild master other than reveal my identity, both of which tell me I and Elysa don't have to worry too much about you. You really have changed, and although we are not related by blood, I am as proud of you as any true older brother should be, and I am sure that Elysa is too”

"Thank you, brother Klein"

I died after being betrayed by someone I regarded as a brother.

After recovering my memories I thought I could not trust anyone again, but in reality, I cannot distrust my sister and Klein.

After realizing that, I let out a slight laugh.

"Something happens?"

"I'm sorry, brother Klein, even if it's not a good time, I couldn't help but feel a little happy after hearing you say all that"

Klein smiles and walks over to me, then places his right hand on my left shoulder.

“Even in this situation it is nice to see you laugh, Elysa told me that in the Osteen mansion she rarely made you smile after it was discovered that you did not possess a skill, and that has always been a bit of how much it has prevented her be fully happy by my side. So when your father said he would send you with us, she and I were thrilled. You are part of Elysa's happiness, and Elysa is my happiness, therefore, you are also part of my happiness”

"Thank you…"

Klein leaves me speechless...

8