Chapter 3
47 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: A True Man!

"So Lee, can... I use your 'computer'?"

Stunned by his sudden request, Lee could not help but ask back in confusion. 

"Brother, what are you going to do?" 

"*Cough* Since we are on the topic of money, I urgently need to check my account...

My phone also has no signal. I guess it's showing its antique-ness now. Ha ha ha."

While Titus was saying that, he took out his phone and handed it over to Lee for him to check. 

Why did he do that? It was to reassure Lee and not raise anymore questions nor suspicions. Checking his account was only a facade, as he couldn't actually tell Lee that he was going to check if he was in the future or not, could he? Plus, if his guess was indeed correct, then this excuse would come in handy.

"Brother you should really buy a new one if you have spare change. Look at this, you couldn't even make an emergency call."

"I will but not now. I don't even know if there's money left in my account. Ah, brother Lee, this may be rude of me but do you have some food? Even if it's leftovers... I haven't eaten the whole afternoon." 

*Stomach grumbling*

It was a good thing that Titus was actually hungry otherwise, he couldn't think of a much better excuse to make Lee leave.

"*Heuk* Ah, I'm very sorry brother. I totally forgot about that. My dad even reminded me before he went out! Please excuse me, I'll go get some." 

It suddenly dawned on him,  

'Ugh... How can I treat my benefactor like this.' He thought as he hurriedly scurried out.

But before he could open the door Titus called out. 

"Lee! Wait a moment..." 

"Yes brother? Do you need something else?" 

"I don't know how to turn on the computer."

Titus embarrassingly blushed as he asked for help. 

Lee: "..." 

... 

"Now for the moment of truth..."

Titus mumbled as he vigorously typed on the holographic keyboard. It was weird at first but he got used to it fast. He wasn't a boomer to begin with. [1]

He first searched for his home which was located in XX town.

No search results found*

Next was the time and date.

8:00 pm, Tuesday, October 1, 30XX*

Of course he could've just looked at the computer and didn't have to search it on the net, but he has to be sure on all of this.

After a few more searches; Gold City, Current Currency, Nearest Hospital Fees, Money Collectors Near Me, etc. , he finally typed, '2020 events history.'

What showed up made Titus sigh.

"My guess was correct, I confirmed it myself over and over. There is no choice but to accept it!"

Sigh*

The computer screen showed exactly what he searched. The events history of 2020 was displayed in all its glory (?).

Results Found* 

Global Pandemic Shocks the World! (Article by CBB News)

'OK Boomer,' Hate Speech? (Article by The Socials)

Internet Boils with the Possible Occurrence of WWIII! Government Claims...  (Article by News Now)

And with that he closed the incognito tab before closing the software for good measure. He knew he was being paranoid, so what?

Though he was raised in an orphanage and had no family, he was still able to support himself by working part time. He was able to move out of the orphanage when he reached high school and lived independently. Though he couldn't socialize and have no particular friends, at least he could stand at his own two feet. He could always meet them later if his situation became stable.

It was just that who would've thought that he actually stepped in a mine [2] while walking on the streets and ended up getting knocked out as soon as he got sent to the future!

Despite his solitude in the past and having not much attachment to that timeline, he could still not readily accept the truth bared in front of him. It was like buying ice cream and dropping it and he had to buy a new one instead! The hard work he did was rendered useless and he was now back to zero. Homeless and in a stranger's house. Fortunately, lady luck didn't abandon him.

Him getting knocked out wasn't for naught as he was now treated as a benefactor and a brother of Lee. This would help him in getting himself running. Also, a side note, he felt weird about Lee calling him brother. It was foreign yet warm. They've literally met moments ago yet, he was feeling like this. Was it because Lee was being sincere when he called him? Whatever it may be, one thing was for sure.

He was too much of a loner in the past... 

It was at this time when the door opened. It was Lee.

"Brother, are you done? Let's go outside. You can eat on the table. Treat this as your home. Hehehe. Also my father just got back and wanted to thank you.

Right, brother, let me give you some info, my dad's a 'man' and doesn't like owing anyone and is a bit tough so don't worry if he comes at you directly."

Lee cheekily said as he helped Titus turn off the computer. He then guided him to the kitchen and then sat at the table.

It was a four-person rectangular table. Lee's dad was in front of Titus while Lee was on his left. He ate dinner fast. Not because he was too hungry and forgot manners, but because it was too uncomfortable having two people watching you eat in silence.

"Thank you for the food! Uncle, thank you."

Titus stood up and bowed.

"Good lad, there's no need to be so formal. Go back to your seat.

It's good that you've liked it, it's the only thing within our budget at the moment. You may have already heard it from Lee. I got fired just because I was late in greeting 'that' Young Master. Alas, reality is cruel."

Lee who was listening on the side. Slammed the table and started gnashing his teeth. When he remembered the arrogant look of that Young Master when he looked at his dad and that hand-chop meant for him, his blood boiled.

Smack*

Unfortunately though he was smacked on the head by his father before he could curse that f*cker.

"Forgive my son's rudeness, ugh..."

"Ah, forgive my rudeness. Uncle, I am called Titus. Surnamed Heart."

"*Eherm* Lad, my name's Arthur Brown. You can call me Uncle Brown. By the way, looking at your clothes, you only seem to be a student. Where do you live? It's late now, you probably have school tomorrow. Let us take you home. After all, if not for you, this brash son of mine probably worsened the situation."

And then looking at Lee, he asked, "You just couldn't endure, could you?

Alas, you're still young and ignorant. You still don't know how the world works. Listen, a man should endure and be strong depending on the situation. But remember, no petty pleading if you know it just leads to nothing. Don't ever kneel to someone because of it. That is a true man!"

Proofread by: @lynn

Author's Note:

[1]To those who did not get this... Boomer like the OK boomer meme. The generation before gen z which typically have hard times using technology.

[2]Not a literal mine, more like bad luck. 

1