Chapter 8
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8: Apocalypse. 

Fish like creatures with legs and arms, holding weapons made from shells, sticks, and stones, etc. emerged from the water!

The three then quickly got cover from a broken wall. The stunned Lee was dragged into cover by Titus. 

"no.. No... NO! What is this?! The earthquake is already enough! Huhu..." 

Lee was scared witless when he saw those monsters appear. He hadn't even had the chance to recuperate from the earthquake yet. And he had to deal with this now?! 

People around the world also seem to agree with Lee as they started to break down! A devastating earthquake that led to terraforming and now monsters appeared! As to what they feel, who could blame them?

Uncle Brown and Titus also thought of this as their complexion became ashen. Titus fared better because of his abnormal experience of traversing but still, even himself was feeling unsettled.

When Uncle Brown heard Lee's sobbing, he snapped out of it. Finally, he managed to make his head clear enough to think. The duty of a father ignited in his heart. His fear was swept away by the raging flames inside him. He had to protect Lee and Titus from these ugly monsters!

Seeing that Uncle Brown had calm down, Titus also relaxed himself. He saw fighting intent in Uncle Brown's eyes. Yes, what they needed to do was to fight. They had to fight to survive! And if he understood the Voice correctly, as long as they fight, they would obtain power. He then ridiculed himself for being out of it, despite the fact that this was not his first experience with the unthinkable... 

"Lee, Titus! Stay back! Let me take care of them."

"No! Uncle Brown, you can't do this alone. There are four monsters! You can't go up by yourself. We also don't know how strong they are. We need to think about this a little bit more." 

Hearing Titus' reminder, Uncle Brown cooled down a bit. Indeed, he was too rash. He was blinded by the flames in his heart!

"Then, what should we do?" 

Uncle Brown and Titus, now, somewhat accepted the current situation. They started to discuss how to deal with the monsters, but Lee on the other hand was still shaken.

"Dad! Don't! Brother!... Let's just run! Yes, let's run! I-I'm sure the government will do something about this!" 

It was not clear whether he was persuading his father and Titus, or himself. 

"No, son. You can't depend on the government, at least not at this moment. We are in the mountains and there are monsters in front of us. If we don't fight and run, we'd just bring more trouble and attract more monsters—"

"Ahhhhh!!!"

A painful scream was heard. Clearly, there were monsters everywhere and those who did not fight would just end up like the one who just screamed. Waiting for the monsters to slaughter you!

Uncle Brown and Titus both frowned upon hearing the scream. They felt it was urgent to deal with the monsters now! It was either they die by fighting, or die from running and getting slaughtered like mice.

Lee was still scared, he still couldn't believe it but he forced himself to stand straight and raise the pole in his hand. He was in a fighting position ready to rush out, though he was shaking.

"Uncle, we should take them out one by one. Let's gang up on one monster first before moving on to another one. We don't know their strength yet so this is our best bet! I'll lure the first one here, be ready."

To be honest, Titus himself didn't know when he had become so brave. Was it because of survival instinct? Was it because he came from the past and had already accepted that monsters appeared? Or— was it because of his newly found 'family'?

Whatever it was, it could even be all three. He knew that even if he did die right now, he wouldn't mind. He already felt fulfilled. At least he would die trying to protect his 'loved ones.'

Uncle Brown was about to dissuade Titus from 'luring' the enemies, but when he saw the look on Titus, the words couldn't come out of his mouth.

"Okay... But be careful."

Lee was silent as he knew he was powerless in this situation. If his dad already agreed, what could he do? All he 'can' do was pray. Pray that they could survive this ordeal. It didn't matter if he didn't believe in the existence of higher beings before. He was intensely praying at this moment.

...

Currently, the four monsters were idle near the edge of the lake. They seem to be talking! Though Titus couldn't understand what they were saying...

He carefully maneuvered forward using the big chunks of debris as cover. He felt tense to the extreme. He couldn't continue further otherwise all four monsters would notice him instead of just one. He picked up a fist-sized chunk of debris on the ground and threw it in the lake. The water in the lake rippled and caught the attention of the monsters. Titus quickly found another two 'rocks', he threw one at the monster from the back of the group, and the other rock to the far right side of him.

If this was a game, the monster Titus hit would surely have a question mark above its head right now. It turned around confusedly. But when it heard the sound, it quickly alerted the other three who were discussing what had happened to the water. They talked amongst themselves for a bit before the monster who got hit, walked towards the source of the sound.

Seeing his gamble was correct, he was overjoyed! When he saw the monsters talking when he first got close, he formed a guess. He thought that since they looked like men, only in the form of a fish and were smaller in size, able to use weapons and could communicate, then their behavior would also be to that of a human. And they did! It was an act of caution. They've sent one of them to check the so-called sound, just like what a human in a group would do!

Titus quickly retreated to where Uncle Brown and Lee were and asked them to prepare to fight!

Proofread by: @lynn

Author's Note:

Disclaimer: This is fictional so please understand if what's happening seems illogical. You can comment your feedback on the comments section. I highly appreciate hearing your opinion! 

If you're interested, you can join the discord server here: https://discord.gg/apBrenw

1