Chapter 2: The Night Her Master Died
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Faustina vaguely remembers what it meant to have a life with her biological parents. What it is like to go to town without concealing her identity. How it felt like to live without the fear of getting captured.

How it felt like being normal.

The Heilens are the race captured by the slave traders, which is because of a rare black hair carried by particularly this "special" bloodline; resulting into making them a constant target generation after generation.

None among the people of the country knew what the Heilen bloodline could have other than a unique hair color that nobody in the country possess. Few had said that this certain clan bears a vast potential to exhibit a vigorous magical prowess, and the Heilens are endowed with abnormal strength; a rival to the Albinos, their opposite, others claim.

Slave trading is a tradition done even back at the ancient days. It signifies inequality between the world. It is an indirect sign that those who are in power are above those who are born with nothing. Slaves trading is widely overlooked because of its convenience, and the petitions to relinquish this certain practice were nothing but pipe dreams to the righteous.

Feuersturm Empire is a country in the Zuerst continent. Zuerst is divided into seven countries ruled by different kings; five countries in Zuerst permits slave traders, namely: Feuersturm, the fire empire; Verteidigerin, the battlefront country of Zuerst; and the Elizabethian, Victorian & Antonettian kingdom, which are three small archipelagos in this continent. These countries permit every aristocrat or even the common folk a slave of their own; the remaining two countries: Eissturm, the ice empire isolated from the rest; and Grönland Kingdom, the country of peace, do not.

Escaping the traders was an everyday battle for Faustina back when she was a little child.

Until she met Eula, a witch; a woman who practices medications, who creates 'potions' with herbs, and healing people without incantations like sorcerers. Witches are not referred to as doctors because of their gender. It is said by ancient scriptures that women cannot do anything other than give birth and provide pleasure. This, of course, did not apply to sorcerers and clairvoyants as well as noblewomen and royalty.

They only apply it to peasants; the ones born with nothing.

Eula took Faustina as her apprentice when she adopted her. Faustina had Eula as a mother figure; a teacher. Adopting Faustina was an unspoken declaration of being her child, a silent yet certain expression of "Yes, I am your family now."

Although it was not discussed between them, it is clear for Faustina.

In Faustina's sixteen years of existence, she knows nothing but this: Eula is her one and only family.

"Ack!"

A cough of blood startled Faustina, making her crush the green herb faster. She immediately plunged it to a wooden cup filled with lukewarm water afterwards, sweating profusely.

She wiped the sweat from her forehead as she stirred the medicine and swiftly took a ladle to make her master drink. Her hands were trembling, maybe because of fatigue. She was working night and day without any rest, after all.

Faustina's dark-brown eyes were like fallen autumn leaves. Seeing her only guardian befall with such agonizing pain. Her black hair was tied into a bun, a habit her master told her to have, in order to prevent contamination with the medicine they are creating.

"Faustina," says Eula in a very weak voice, "I don't think I am going to live much longer."

"Don't say that," Faustina softly said, as the ladle touched the dried lip of her master. Eula's fair complexion was now pale. Her red hair was unkempt, although Faustina combs it every day.

"Is the medicine working?" Faustina asked, "are you feeling better, Master?"

Eula unleashed several fits of cough. Blood trickled at the side of her lip.

"Months have passed," Eula said weakly, "maybe it's finally the time..."

Faustina feigned a smile, "You're going to be better, Master. Just wait for the medication to take effect. I've added a hundred percent concentration of the herb, and I went to the forest to search for those mushrooms the book was referring to."

"You have been researching night by n—" Eula coughed, "—ight. It's not working. You have been pushing yourself too much, Faustina... but I don't think I..."

"Don't be pessimistic... please." Faustina's last word broke. She clenched her jaw and tried to smile. "You're going to be okay."

Faustina stared at her master. She knew Eula was suffering. She could not even sit down, let alone lift a finger. Her body rejected the ingestion of food a month ago, and now it does not even react to any medicine. Her body is filled with spasms of agonizing pain by dusk to dawn.

"Faustina." Eula says, "y-you have been my apprentice for so long. For seven years of practicing medicine we have been through our own battles and the like,"

"Master...?"

"I've taught you everything I could teach. Our home... this small cabin in the mountain have kept you safe from the traders..."

"Master, don't try to speak—your condition is worsening!" Faustina says as Eula coughed several times once more.

"I want you to leave this cabin when I die. I want you to go and see the world..."

Faustina kneeled before the bed and held the hand of her master. Her mother. Her only family. For years they have been together and now Faustina can feel it—this is the day. Like it has been predestined. It felt so surreal now.

Eula says, almost tentatively, "from this day on your battle will be harsh... to escape those traders is one of them... to survive..."

"Master..."

"I..." Eula's green eyes shined with tears and sorrow, "I'm sorry..."

Faustina cannot hold it any much longer. Her strong front broke into smithereens; its fragments are tears coming from her eyes. Her sobs were slowly breaking into loud cries of agony.

Holding the limp hand of her master was like hanging into her sanity. No, she does not want Eula to go. She doesn't want her mother to go. She does not want to be alone.

"If you see the trader... run..." Eula says, her voice was getting smaller, "if you see the king..."

Faustina stared intently as Eula mumbled a breathless whisper.

A final breath.

Faustina shattered into a loud lament, mourning her master's death. She embraced the lifeless corpse of her only mother. Her only family.

"If I may intrude..."

Faustina froze. It's as if time stopped. Her heartbeat slowed and grew loud, as she turned around slowly from the door. The moon was shining brightly against the silhouette of a smiling man.

"I am deeply sorry for what sorrow you have experienced." He says, sympathetic. "Such sadness has befallen your heart, such crestfallen melodies from your cries."

"Wh-who are you?"

"Oh, you may call me Jonathan," he says as he bowed. "I am a Warlock and a Doctor."

The man smiled. "I have come to collect, oh—I meant... to acquire something special, my dear."

1