C14: People
174 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The boy: “What are you saying, sis. Why are you talking to a book?”

The girl: “That book is alive. I can feel its mana!”

The boy: “What? Are you sure that mana is not coming from a transmission talisman instead?”

G: “No! He is watching us with some skill. I don't sense any transmission.”

She stepped forward: “I’ll take it!”

 

The brother put a hand forward to stop his sister: “Wait! It can be dangerous! Let me take it instead.”

He opened me.

 

B: “It’s blank.”

I used the water mana to make the ink temporarily invisible. I didn’t want strangers to know of my secrets. They already know my name from my cover!

 

“Really?” she put her hand forward “Give it to me. We will bring it home”

B: “No way! It’s dangerous! What if it attacks you! I.. I’ll carry it.”

G: “Hahaha!”

B: ”What!? Why are you laughing?”

G: “If you carry it like that we will never be friends with him”

The boy realized it was holding me like a dirty sock.

“Sorry,” he said, then moved to the nearby palm forest and put me down on a rock.

From this distance, I could use Narrator and see the name of the forest: [Barbarian woods, palm sector].

 

He went to a tree and tilted his head to look at it from different directions.

“This one should be good enough!” He unsheathed his sword and started to cut the tree down.

G: “Do you need help?”

B: “No, I’m fine for now but I’ll need it later.”

G: “Fine. In the meantime, I’ll introduce us”

B: “Sure. Go ahead”

 

G: “Sorry for before Book-san. I'm Rose and he is Thorn”

 

The tree fell.

 

“As you might have guessed we are siblings!”

 

Thorn jumped and the trunk was cut again.

 

“We are from the dragonkin clan”

 

Thorn started to cut the log in planks.

 

“Many people confuse dragonkin with dragons. While dragon blood does run through our veins, only a few people can transform”

 

B: “I am done cutting the log. You can start now!”

There were 5 planks. Each one with four x marks at the corner.

 

“Even if we cannot transform we can use some of the dragon’s abilities.”

She pointed the finger at one of the x and a vortex of fire started spinning on the tip of her finger.

When she neared her finger to the plank the fire made a hole.

But the plank didn’t burn. Around the fire vortex, there was a minuscule water vortex.

Such control of mana for me was unimaginable.

 

After she finished making the holes I could see a light coming from under her sleeve. A long rope appeared on the ground.

She used the fire to cut the rope and connected the planks with it

.

The final work looked like a backpack but with some major differences.

It was rotated left by around 40 degrees.

They had just made a book sheath.

 

Thorn: “Sorry about before. If you need to go somewhere we can help you move”

Rose: “Please. In exchange, can you tell us If you have seen our dog?”

 

I couldn’t talk but they didn’t know that. So after a while, they opened me excusing themselves for the act.

 

They found the worlds: Yes, It was going in the same direction as you two. The dog was running from a panther-like beast.

Rose was happy. “Thank you! Thank you! Do you want to come with us or stay here?”

I felt safer with them so I went with them.

 

By going in the dog’s direction for a few minutes, we arrived at the [Sun gazing mountain].

On the way, they told me some information about the world. They told me that we were in the southwestern part of the continent and that this zone belonged to their clan.

The name [Barbarian woods] came from the fact that wind animals dominated the area. The humans and the dragonkin tried many times to reclaim the woods but never succeeded.

The [Sun gazing mountain] took the name from the [Suntrees] growing on the mountain that always pointed toward the sun and the observatory on the top of the mountain.

 

After Thorn followed some tracks we arrived at a group of big fallen trees where [barbarian panther lair] was.

Thorn unsheathed his sword but didn’t look too worried.

We entered the lair and didn’t see any panther. Then we saw the dog. He looked fatter than before. No way!

 

Rose: “Mike, How many times did I tell you to stop hunting on your own. To stop stealing other animals' houses. I know that the monkeys stole your house but if you wait for a little we will take it back. You don’t need to look for a new house!”

Mike made an expression as if to say, you said wait for a little a long time ago!

 

While she was saying this I was still shocked about the fact that a small dog could eat a panther several times bigger.

 

Rose was angry but Mike made a cute face and the anger disappeared.

She petted the dog while some tears escaped from her eyes: “I don’t want to lose you too. Please be more careful. Let’s return home OK?l“ 

 

We were starting to walk back when Thorns suddenly stopped and put a finger against his mouth to tell Rose to stay silent. He was looking at some broken branches.

He said in a low voice: “Someone has cleared a path... to the top of the mountain”

Rose: “Are they people from the observatory?”

Thorn: “Maybe, but we have to confirm it.”

 

We moved through the brushes to the top of the mountain.

We could see some white buildings with weird looking shapes. Spheres, triangles, and other things. The only thing I recognized was a solar clock.

There were some people dressed in white with their head covered, holding some weird things that looked like astronomy tools and were discussing and sometimes pointing their fingers on some pages.

 

I couldn’t hear what they said but Thorn could.

Rose: “What are they saying ?”

Thorn: “The rumors are true. War is coming. We need to report back to the village”

 

Rose: “I don’t want to go back there!”

Thorn: “Neither do I. But we need to. For now, let’s go back home.” 

12