Ch7.5 – Sleeping in
232 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up in the morning to see Mars  scrambling out of the tent as he struggles to tie his scabbard.

I'm surprised he actually managed to get up this early, he'd always beg for more sleep when we were traveling. Well, I'm glad to see him motivated but now that we've finally got a chance to rest I intend to make damn good use of it, by going right back to sleep.

 

It's only much later in the day that I finally bother getting up, about mid-afternoon, and I figure I should head into the camps and find something to do. I adjust my clothes and head out the tent, asking around until I get invited to help out with some leather working.

I spend the next few hours just sitting there stitching leathers with the other women before I spot the hunting group walking back through the camp. Wanting to check on how Mars went I hand off my work and thank them before moving to catch up with them at the war tent.

 

Huskar spots me coming and waves me over, telling me that Mars is inside learning to butcher, and we get to talking from there.

 

"So how was the hunt?" I ask, "Mars didn't give you any trouble?"

 

"Actually not at all", Huskar says; "He'd just follow behind and patiently watch, always doing exactly as he was told with no complaints, which is pretty unusual for a cub his age."

 

"Well I guess that's not so surprising, Mars usually seems pretty innocent but he can be weirdly mature for his age sometimes, it's almost unsettling." I admit.

 

"I'm with you on that, his obedience and discipline aren't that of a normal child, he didn't even hesitate when I told him to make each of todays kills, he just went right in there and did it."

 

"Ah" I sigh, "Well he's already made a kill before, saving me." I admit, briefly telling the story to Huskar as I wait for the cub.

 

We hold the conversation when we finally see Mars coming out of the tent. He looks rather pleased with himself as he hands me the meat he'd just cut, and tells me he wants to keep practicing what Huskar had shown him today, asking me if I could use the meat tonight for supper. I assure him there'll be food waiting when he gets back and he thanks me, headed off towards the edge of the camps with his sword.

 

Seeing him go, I head back to the tent with Huskar, continuing our conversation as he helps me get the food going.

 

"Well he's a tough kid that one, I'm sure he'll turn out alright." Huskar says as he turns some steaks over the fire.

 

"Yeah, he's adjusting pretty well." I say.

 

"So, have you thought about what you're gonna do when you finally get to the north?" Huskar suddenly asks.

"what do you mean?" I ask.

 

"Well, are you two going to stick together when you settle in up there?"

 

"I actually hadn't thought that far yet, but I'd like to keep taking care of him for now. But ultimately it'll be up to him." I say, spotting Mars already walking back to the tent as the sun comes down.

9