Chapter 10: Mystery of the Runaway Boyfriend
107 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Murphy arrived at Lucien’s apartment in a stunning red Range Rover. Lucien couldn’t help but gape in awe as the car stopped in front of him and Pyewacket – now in his canine form.

Show-off,” Pyewacket groaned, turning to the car with a sharp glare. Lucien gave a slight tug on his leash to hush him.

The passenger-side window slowly rolled down. “Good morning!” Murphy greeted as he peered through the half-opened window. He quickly clicked on the power door locks from his side, to unlock all the doors in the car. “Hop in.”

Lucien opened the back door to let Pyewacket in.

“He has such shiny coat,” Murphy started as he turned around to look at Pyewacket. “What’s his name?”

Uhm, Pyewacket,” answered Lucien as he removed Pyewacket’s leash and gently patted him on the head.

“What an interesting name,” Murphy remarked as he smiled up at Pyewacket and reached a hand to touch him. “Hello there, Pye. Can I call you Pye?”

Just then, Pyewacket let out a low growl, and Murphy pulled his hand away.

Pye…!” Lucien hissed, glaring at his familiar. “What did I tell you about being in your best behavior today?”

Pyewacket drew his ears closer to his head and gave Lucien a doleful look.

Aww… It’s okay. I love dogs but they don’t seem to like me at all,” Murphy said with a chuckle. “You’re lucky. Pyewacket seems to adore you very much.”

“Is that so?” Lucien chimed, as he looked at Pyewacket. He flinched when the familiar suddenly licked his face, wagging his tail eagerly as he did.

Lucien’s body stiffened, feeling his face burning after Pyewacket’s gesture. ‘What was that for?’ he said to Pyewacket telepathically.

The familiar looked at him tenderly with his big, gray canine eyes. ‘What? I’m only showing that man how much I adore my master.’

Lucien pursed his lips as he closed the back door and jumped into the front passenger seat, his face still flushed red. 

“Are we good to go?” Murphy asked as he gestured for Lucien to fasten his seatbelt.

“Yes, let’s get going,” replied Lucien as he immediately fastened his seatbelt and looked out the window.

Murphy started the engine and reached his hand up to adjust the rear-view mirror. “You okay there, Pye?” He looked at Pyewacket through the mirror, who immediately averted his eyes from him and stuck his head out the window. “Alright, I guess we’re all set. Coral Springs, here we go!”

 


 

When Murphy Odenkirk is around, not a single minute would fall into awkward silence. He filled the hour-long drive to Coral Springs with unabashed singing and cheerful, inconsequential chatter. Neither Lucien nor Pyewacket is accustomed to being in the presence of such a high-spirited individual.

But for Lucien, his energy was contagious. Half an hour into their trip, he found himself singing along with Murphy.

“You’re a bit out of tune on that part,” Murphy suddenly blurted out as he snorted with laughter. “Hunter must’ve gotten into your system.”

Pyewacket looked at Lucien, who suddenly stopped singing. Does he want to end this in bloodshed? Talking to Master like that… What an idiot, he said to himself as he curled up in the seat and rested his head on his paws, eagerly awaiting his master’s reaction.

“Right…” Lucien said in a low voice, and then let out a soft chuckle, which made Pyewacket’s ears perk up. “I really have an awful voice to begin with. I mean, who am I to complain about Hunter’s voice?”

Murphy gave a half-smile before concentrating on the road again. “Nah, I’m not saying you have a terrible voice. You actually sound better than me. Come on, let’s finish this song.” He sang along with the radio, turning up the volume as he coaxed Lucien to join him, who hesitated for a moment and then sang along.

Pyewacket discreetly looked over at Lucien, surprised to see this unfamiliar side to him.  And then, he felt an inexplicable pang of jealousy brewing inside him as he watched him so engrossed in the other man’s foolishness.

He closed his eyes, trying to find a distraction. But he could hear their lively conversation as clearly as a bell. A conversation that’s often punctuated by rounds of Lucien’s hearty laughter. It could have been music to his ears but right now, it pained him like a migraine.

He was no fool. He knew Lucien is infatuated with this guy.

 


 

For the next several minutes, Lucien started to become talkative, asking random things from hobbies and celebrity crushes, to car models and political views. Pyewacket remained silent all throughout, his eyes dark and intense as he struggled not to listen in too much to their conversation.

You okay in there, Pye?’ Lucien’s voice resounded in his head.

Pyewacket shifted uncomfortably in the seat, turning slightly to one side. ‘I’m fine. Are we there yet?’ His tone was gentle, yet it also suggested impatience.

For several seconds, Lucien fidgeted with the strap of his seatbelt. Then he turned to Murphy and asked, “So… since when did you realize you’re sensitive to spirits?”

Hmm…” Murphy tapped his fingers thoughtfully on the steering wheel, then looked at him. “Probably since I was a kid?”

“How do you usually react when you see one? Do you ever just realize they’re… dead?”

Murphy shrugged. “Kind of? They have a certain… color to them. And I eventually learned to ignore those with that particular color.” He turned his attention back on the road. “You need to learn these things fast. Never poke your nose into their business, Lucien. There are many of them who need help and if they find out you can see them, they’ll come to you in droves and will make your life difficult.”

Wow, finally, this guy’s talking some sense into Master, Pyewacket thought, genuinely amused.  

“I know you mean well. But you can’t possibly help every single person – dead or alive – in need.”

Aah, I hate to love what this guy’s saying, Pyewacket remarked again.

Lucien could faintly sense the I-told-you-so atmosphere emanating from his familiar, making him feel uneasy. He scratched his chin, lost in thought as he tried to figure out a way to shift the topic to something much lighter. “Well… Hunter’s the first ghost I’ve encountered. And hopefully the last.” Although he highly doubts it. “It’s only fairly recently that I discovered this… ability to see the unseen.”

“Oh,” Murphy said, surprised. “Is that so?”

Lucien immediately dominated the conversation. “So, how’d you get to meet Hunter? How were you even able to tolerate him for so long? I mean, nine years? Really?”

“Technically, it’s eight,” he corrected him. “Anyway, I was at a conference in Coral Springs. I don’t remember what it was exactly but when I left the hall and was on my way back to Miami, I saw him watching me from the parking lot. Well, I have my fair share of paparazzi and investigators pestering me all the time, so I thought he’s one of them. I yelled at him, told him to piss off. But instead of leaving, he ran towards me like some lunatic.” He laughed at the recollection. “Well the rest, as they say, is history.”

And for the first time, silence fell between them. Lucien desperately tried to fish about for a topic to keep the mood light. But just as he was about to open his mouth, they heard a voice from behind them.

“Seriously, you guys are gonna’ keep talking about boring stuff?” Hunter appeared, sitting beside Pyewacket, who jumped up in surprise. “Oh! You can see me too, buddy? Hi!” Hunter beamed at him, waving.

Uhh, yeah, I – I guess dogs can be extra sensitive too, huh? Wow…” Lucien reacted nervously.

Murphy’s eyebrows met. “Well, this is a first. I guess animals can be ‘gifted’, too. I mean, I wouldn’t have known since I’ve never had a pet myself.”

“So, uh, anyway, what are you doing here, Hunter?” Lucien diverted.

Hunter looked at both Lucien and Murphy for a moment, and then sighed. “I’ve been here since we left Miami. And I couldn’t stand listening to you guys talking about mundane shit.” He leaned forward and squeezed between the two of them. “Hey, what’s with this tense and awkward atmosphere I’m sensing between you two, huh? Want me to do the questioning? Come on, let me break the ice for you.”

Uhhh no, thanks,” Lucien responded fretfully.

“Shut it, Hunter,” snapped Murphy, his ears turning red.

“So anyway,” Hunter pressed on, ignoring their protests, “it’s only recently that I’ve seen you two together. You know I’ve been following Murphy around for years, and I’m practically his second shadow now so I kinda’ have a gist of this guy’s private life.”

“Hunter, not one more word…!” Murphy warned, glaring at the spirit from the rear-view mirror.

Sooooo,” Hunter dragged out the word, “what’s the real deal? Are you two dating? Hey, Lucien, are you Casanova’s new boyfriend?”

“Will you stop calling me that? And stop harassing me and Lucien. Please.”

Pyewacket turned his head back toward them and this time, Lucien could sense a dark and brooding atmosphere exuding from him.

“N – No, we’re not,” Lucien answered sharply. “I just… happen to work for Carmichael Tech. Mr. Odenkirk’s my boss. That’s all.”

Ohhh…” Hunter whistled. “A workplace affair, huh? A boss and his subordinate going out on dates? I totally dig that.”

Lucien could feel himself burning up with embarrassment. “W – What makes you think we’re lovers?” He looked out the window. “We’re both men, anyway.”

Hunter gasped at his response. “Doesn’t mean two men can’t date! What era do you think you’re living in, Lucien Salverson?”

Lucien stole a glance at Murphy, whose eyes were looking morose as he stayed focused on the road.

“Oh wait, now I remember something.” Hunter placed his head close to Lucien’s ear and whispered, “You’re dating that guy you’re living with, aren’t you? The black-haired dude who looks like some hunk Latino actor.”

The color drained from Lucien’s face. “What the fuck, Hunter…!”

“Oh… I didn’t know you’re living with someone.” Murphy appeared shocked and a tad bit agitated.

Hunter let out a tepid “Uh-oh” as he sensed the strained atmosphere around them. “So he doesn’t know you’re living with another dude, huh?”

“Wha – Why would that even be an issue? Will you shut up now?” Lucien exclaimed.

‘Fuck!’ Lucien yelled, enough for Pyewacket to hear him in his head.

‘Zero lies were told today, Master,’ the familiar replied, seemingly pleased with the turn of events.

After driving for nearly an hour, they finally reached Coral Springs.

“Well, looks like we made it in one piece,” Hunter told them with a sigh of relief. “Okay, I’m outta’ here! See you guys later!” And he disappeared, leaving them in heavy silence.

Up ahead a big sign read, “Welcome to Coral Springs” and below it in smaller letters, “Everything Under the Sun”. Murphy took the car out of cruise control and slowed down, following down the highway and passing by the strip of big white buildings that appeared to be hotels and factories.

Lucien hesitated and then said quietly, “He’s a college buddy. He came to crash at my place for a while.”

That is the lamest lie of the decade,” Pyewacket commented, trying to suppress a laugh.

Murphy leaned his elbow against the door and placed his index finger above his upper lip. Lucien figured he was deep in thought and indeed he was, except that Murphy was thinking he is not on board with what Lucien had to say.

He managed to give Lucien a tepid smile. “It’s none of my business, anyway. You don’t have to explain yourself, Lucien.”

And there you have it. He simply doesn’t care,’ Pyewacket emphasized as he stretched out on his chest and stomach, and gave a quick yawn.

“R – Right…” Lucien replied in a subdued voice. Somehow he felt dejected, yet at the same time annoyed. That wasn’t the reaction he was expecting.

He started fidgeting with the seatbelt strap once again and checked his watch to see the time. He didn’t want to smooth over the awkwardness. He wasn’t the one who’d created this tension between them in the first place. Though at this point, it will really bring him peace of mind if they finally get to their destination.

 


 

Trails End Road is a quiet and pleasant neighborhood, much like most of the other districts in a planned community like Coral Springs. It’s a family-oriented neighborhood with small shops and restaurants, a bank, a school, and no big roads so there is no danger for children. A park appeared to have been renovated for the games. A few benches were lined along the side of the street where people can go outside when it’s sunny and talk to their neighbors.

Unit 228, where they were supposed to meet the person Hunter wanted them to see, is a house that’s built on a slight rise on the edge of a transitional area where old, single-story apartments were slowly being torn down or rehabilitated. The place appears to be going into gentrification, and Unit 228 is arguably the only house that’s all set for the change. It stood on its own, looking over a broad spread of the suburb.

Murphy parked the car across the house, just far away enough to not block the driveway.

“Are we in the right place?” Lucien wondered as he slowly rolled down the window and poked his head out.

“Yes, we’re here. This is where I live.” Hunter re-appeared, standing next to the car, looking at the house with a sense of nostalgia. And then he let out a sigh. “Well, at least it used to be.”

Murphy, Lucien, and Pyewacket stepped out of the car, stretched to get their blood circulating, and looked around.

“Really nice neighborhood you’ve got here, Hunter,” Lucien commented. “And your house…” He turned his head back toward Unit 228 and whistled in amusement.

It looked like something straight out of the Architects Today magazine. Save for a large chimney that poked out one side of the pitched roof, the two-story house is a perfect example of modern, minimalist living. It’s a perfect blend of white and taupe, looking bold and strong with its geometric features.

Out front, the door is as wide as it is tall, the windows taking up entire walls with polished steel beams. The house has a stiff, metallic feel to it, almost like a downtown skyscraper; if not for the few touches of nature with its wood-clad exterior tiling and the front porch’s cedar beams where raised plant beds were laid.

It’s not quaint, not in the old-world kind of way that Lucien was usually drawn to. Yet one could not help but notice it. It’s the biggest and most beautiful home in Trails End, after all.

“It wasn’t always like this,” Hunter explained. “At least not when I was still alive.”

They stared at the house as Murphy turned off the car. “Come on,” he said, and they slowly made their way up to the porch and knocked on the door.

“Use the doorbell. They’re usually upstairs at the study room around this time,” Hunter suggested, and Lucien pressed the bell.

There was no immediate response, so he rang for the second time. On his third attempt, they began to hear hurried footsteps, growing louder as someone came running down the stairs. Lucien backed a little as the door slowly and cautiously opened.

A very serious-looking Asian man in a tan cardigan shirt and gray trousers answered the door. He has round, dark brown eyes with a distinct curve to them; not deep-set yet prominent. He is tall and slim, probably in his late thirties or early forties, his skin a healthy fawn with a constant tinge of pink.

The man gave them a careful look before saying, “Yes, how may I help you?” in a smooth, baritone voice.

“Oh uhm, we’re looking for a Ms. Gao Chen-hong? Is she around?” Murphy started.

The man raised an eyebrow. “I’m sorry, who’s asking?”

Lucien stepped beside Murphy. “Hi. We just need to ask a few questions regarding someone she knows,” he said matter-of-factly. “May we talk to her?”

The man slowly stepped outside and closed the door behind him. “I’m Gao Chen-hong, but most people know me as Blake Gao. Chen-hong is my given name.” He eyed them shiftily.

Lucien’s brain stuttered for a moment, as the realization bounced around in his head. His mouth fell slightly open as he turned to Murphy. “Do you know about this?” he whispered. Murphy replied with a shrug, equally surprised at this revelation.

Who’s asking what questions?” the man probed, sounding more impatient. “If this is some cheap trick for a networking business, I’ll have to say no. I don’t have time for – “

“We’re here to ask about Hunter Parslowe,” Murphy cut him off.

The look on the man’s face was one of sudden surprise and shock, and a hint of pain, all rolled up into one expression.

Hunter leaned close to Murphy. “Tell him you’re my college mates in Colorado,” he relayed hastily.

“We uhm, we’re his college buddies. From Colorado,” Murphy explained.

“And that you need to get something of mine,” said Hunter.

“We’ve been asked to get some of his stuff.” But then Murphy realized something, and added, “If… there’s still something of his with you?”

All of a sudden, the man’s face turned red with anger. “What makes him think I still have his stuff? Nearly a decade gone, and he expects me to still keep them? He’ll get nothing from me! In fact, tell him to just fuck off and die!”

Blake was about to storm back inside the house when Lucien grabbed him by the arm. “Hold on. The truth is, there are a few important things we need to know about Hunter. About you. We’re aware you two were in a relationship.”

Both Murphy and Blake glared at him.

“What’s this got to do with us? Aren’t you just here to collect his stuff?” Blake griped angrily. He turned his head from them so they would not see the tears that were starting to burn his eyes. And then he stilled, a trembling hand wrapped around the doorknob. “Why would you people suddenly show up at my door like this? Why won’t Hunter just come to me directly? Where is he? Where the fuck is he?!”

There was a look of pain and sadness on him and on Hunter. These were emotions that were bottled up for so long, just waiting for someone to unscrew the cap and let it all spill over.

But for Blake Gao, he had long kept them hidden deep in his heart. They had become his fear. Of vulnerability. Of a painful heartbreak.

A moment of intense silence befell them. Lucien turned slowly and met Murphy’s eyes – eclipsed in uncertainty as he was. He was the first to break eye contact as he turned back at Blake. “Can we have a moment of your time, Mr. Gao? I think we should sit down and talk about this.”

Blake tipped his head sideways to look at Lucien, and then checked his watch. He debated for a moment before finally deciding to open the door and let them in. “… Alright, then.” He hesitated for a moment before going on, his voice a little shaky when he did. “There are some things I need to clear up with that bastard. So you better let him know what I think. And oh –“ He glanced over Pyewacket. “I’m sorry, but no pets allowed.”

Lucien bent over and rubbed Pyewacket’s head and ears. “Do you think you’ll be fine here?”

Yes. This is what I’m here for, after all,’ the familiar responded telepathically as he walked towards a nearby holly tree and stretched himself out underneath it.

‘Tell me if anything comes up,’ instructed Lucien as they made their way inside the house.

 


 

Murphy and Lucien introduced themselves as Blake led them down the hallway and ushered them into his living room. As expected, the interior also makes for a perfect magazine cover. But for Lucien, it was uncomfortably spacious. It reminded him of a hotel foyer, with little to no personal touch. The floor is polished marble, the walls off-white, and the furniture appeared either brand-new or quite simply untouched and unused. There’s plenty of room for over a dozen guests, though he doubted even one had come to this house. Soft jazz music was playing in the background, giving the place a more homey feel.

Lucien thought it’s a perfect place, but not so warm and cozy.

Both he and Murphy settled themselves on the black recliner sofa next to the window overlooking the front lawn. They waited in silence as Blake went to the kitchen to fix them some tea.

“So what should we do next?” Lucien asked in a hushed tone as if they’re not the only ones in the room.

“Don’t worry. Let me do the questioning,” Murphy said confidently. “If anything, just make sure never to tell him Hunter’s dead.”

What?” Lucien protested. “When do you plan to tell him, then?”

Please,” Hunter cut in on their conversation as he appeared in front of them, “this isn’t the right time to tell him. At least not yet.” He looked over the kitchen. “Make sure to ask him about a green wooden box. Ask if he still has it.”

“You don’t mind Twinings, do you?” Hunter appeared out of the adjoining kitchen, carrying a tray with hot tea, saucers, and carrot cake. Silently he placed the tray on the coffee table and laid out the cups. Two in front of Murphy and Lucien, and another one for himself, as he sat down on the white single-seater sofa opposite them.

Blake courteously waited for them to take a sip of their tea before he started speaking. “Just so you know, I haven’t seen that bastard in almost ten years.” The way he said the word ‘bastard’ was laced with bitterness. He made a slight pause to sip his tea. “So I honestly don’t know what to tell you, and if I could answer your questions. I have no idea of his current whereabouts.”

Murphy looked over Lucien, then put down his teacup. “So, uhm… when did you and Hunter meet? From my understanding, you two have been together since you were young.”

“My family and I migrated from Taiwan. I was five years old then. I met Hunter from our community church in Tallahassee. You can say we’re childhood friends.” For a moment, a nostalgic faraway look flickered in his eyes. He smiled faintly and professed, “But I always thought of him as a bully. Always making fun of the girls at Sunday school. It wasn’t until middle school when I actually acknowledged him as a ‘friend’. He’s two years older than me, but he rarely hangs out with people his age. He was always tailing me around, telling me I’m the only person he knows from church. I figured it was his new way of bullying and I was his new target, so I tried my best to avoid him. I just couldn’t get rid of him and it went on like that for an entire year. And eventually, I got used to his presence. It wasn’t so bad hanging out with him.” He took another sip of his tea and when he finished, he chuckled softly and said, “And then during their graduation ceremony, he went up to me and said, ‘Gao Chen-hong, how dense can you be? Wasn’t it obvious that I like you from the start?’ And then he sped off! I didn’t get to see him again until after summer break. He was probably afraid I’d be disgusted, being confessed to by a boy.”

Murphy and Lucien listened to him intently, neither of them intending to interrupt him as he continued to tell stories of their past. There was a sparkle in his eyes as he said these, one that betrayed his feelings of resentment.

“I had two months to think it over. And in all those days that passed, there was not a single moment I haven’t thought of Hunter. I was happy. It felt strange, but I was happy. And then when the new term started and we met again at a carpool, I told him I liked him, too. I’ve always liked him. I mistook it as fear. Hesitation. But… it was good ol’ puppy love.”

Hunter leaned his elbows against the couch’s backrest, smiling. “We officially started dating in the beginning of his freshman year.”

“And you guys started dating shortly after?” Lucien inquired. “If so, then it’s not just puppy love.”

“Well… For me, it’s true love. Or maybe it was just me?” There was melancholy in Blake’s eyes as he said this. “We’ve spent our lives together longer than when we were apart. It just sort of… grew on me. He became part of me, something I couldn’t imagine losing. You know, kind of like your hands, your feet… Just imagine losing them one day. Wouldn’t it be painful? Crippling?” The wave of sadness gradually diminished the sparkle in his eyes. “I would always wonder if Hunter felt the same way… Well… I highly doubt it now. I’ve stopped wondering altogether.”

Lucien felt something heavy pressing on his chest as he listened to him. He studied the man’s aura, as it gradually turned from a bright yellow, to a gloomy gray. Talking about Hunter was beginning to weigh him down.

“I hope you don’t mind me asking but, did you two break up? When was the last time you saw each other?” Lucien asked him.

Blake put his cup down and heaved a deep sigh. “Well, let me see.” He closed his eyes for a moment, then said, “Nine, eight years ago? He just… up and left. He told me he’s going to work and will be home late. But, he never did. No warning. No fights. He just… disappeared from my life. Just like that.” He snapped his fingers and scoffed with contempt. “What a way to end a fairy tale love story, huh?”

Lucien looked completely aghast. “You mean to say he ghosted you?”

Murphy gave him a sideways glance as he pursed his lips.

“Very funny joke, Lucien Salverson. Very fucking funny,” Hunter said to him through clenched teeth.

Blake let out a forced laugh. “Uh, yes? I guess that’s how the young ones call it these days.”

Murphy sensed Blake was growing uncomfortable with the conversation, so he tried to rein in the questioning. “Do you think there’s a reason he’d run off like that?”

Blake sneered. “Of course. There will always be a reason. He was sick and tired of me. Couldn’t stand being with me anymore. Simple as that.”

No… Baby, no…” Hunter refuted, his voice shaking as he walked toward Blake and knelt in front of him. “That’s not it. I would never…” He lowered his head. He wanted to touch Blake, envelope him in a scorching embrace, kiss him, assure him. But it was all too impossible. He was left with nothing but utter helplessness and misery.

“I’m pretty sure he had an affair and decided to elope with that person,” Blake said assuredly as he cut the carrot cake into three equal pieces and gave each of them a slice. “The last few months we’ve been together, I noticed he’d been acting strange. Sometimes he’d get out of bed in the middle of the night, step outside the room. Sometimes he’d lock himself up in the bathroom for almost an hour. He probably thought I wasn’t aware of it. That I didn’t care. Well… he always tends to underestimate my curiosity and perceptiveness toward these things.”

Murphy laced his fingers together and sat back. “I know how it feels. Of course, affairs tend to be the reason couples fall out of love.” He paused before adding, “But Hunter seems to be a nice guy. I can tell from how long you two have been together. What, over fifteen years? Twenty? That’s a feat in itself. I don’t think he’ll throw away such a precious relationship just like that.”

This made Blake sneer with contempt. He pressed his lips together, hand gripping the cake cutter as tightly as he could.  “As a couple, we fight from time to time. It’s normal. But we never nitpick over small things. We never fought about how we dress, who we choose to hang out with, who does the household chores… Heck, we don’t even fight about money. But… in the last year we’ve been together, he suddenly became distant. So cold and indifferent. We fought over the smallest, lamest things. There was even a time when he got so mad over an overcooked, soggy ramen I prepared for him. I mean, lame, right?”

Lucien could not help but shoot a menacing look at Hunter. “Asshole alert…!”, he muttered under his breath.

“And then, it came to a point where he would lie about his work sched. Well, to begin with, he couldn’t hold a job for longer than 6 months,” Blake told them, trying to hide the disappointment in his voice. “Hunter earned a degree in Humanities, but he never got a good grasp of the professional world – thought everything was as simple and easy as in college. I mean, he’s a smart guy, I’ll give that to him. But… he refuses to be restrained by things. Whenever he decides to quit, his excuse would always be ‘my artistic spirit is being caged’ or ‘it doesn’t give me room for growth’. Is that how it is with artistic people? Seems like all the artists I know are so… free-spirited.” He tried to lighten up the mood with a dry joke, but knew he failed.

“That being the case, he was never jobless. Sure, he would take several odd jobs at times but, that allowed him to shoulder some of our expenses. So I supported him nonetheless. I never complained. But… later on, he became secretive. He’d be out for most of the time and when he comes back home late at night, he’d be so exhausted he’d just go straight to bed. And when I wake up the following day, he’d be gone. It went on like that for many months, until I couldn’t take it anymore.” Blake paused and sighed. “You know what’s worse than couples fighting all the time? It’s when they actually stop having those fights. It’s when they’re determined to avoid all conflict, or when they lack the will to try and solve the problem. And with Hunter, it seemed like he stopped caring altogether. It almost came to a point where I deliberately tried to stir up a conflict, just to see him get riled up. But… he simply stopped caring about me. You know, if I’d brought a guy home and slept with them, I didn’t think he’d give a damn.” He bit his lip as tears began seeping down his cheeks. “I don’t know any other explanation for his strange and distant behavior. So tell me now, Mr. Odenkirk, what else could be the reason other than him falling out of love?”

Hunter’s arms fell limply at his sides as he knelt motionless in front of Blake. He was beyond miserable.

The heavy and depressing atmosphere was starting to become agonizing for Lucien. This was exactly the reason Murphy did not want him to come and help. It’s a task that’s not meant for the weak of heart.

Murphy released an exasperated sigh and shook his head. “Jesus… This is why I don’t want to deal with these things...” he mumbled, voice barely audible. He ran his fingers over his lips, trying to find the right words to say. “So… did you try to confront him? Tried to set things straight?”

Blake smiled faintly and shook his head. “I wanted to break up with him. That was the only choice I had left. When he was at work – or wherever the hell he was at the time – I packed up my stuff and prepared to leave. But the bastard arrived home earlier than expected. That was the first time in a while that I saw any semblance of emotion in him. He cried, begged me to stay. And… I hated it. I loathed the guy. But in the end... I chose to stay. I stayed because I love him. I was stupid.”

“So in the end, everything went well?” Murphy pressed on.

“Well, for a time, it felt like everything went back to how it used to be. He comes home on time, prepares meals for me, we go out on dates, watch movies… He even promised we’d travel to Taiwan. He always wanted to visit my home country, and I figured it was the perfect moment to finally make time for it. It’s like we’re back to our honeymoon phase.” He closed his eyes for a moment, and then his expression dulled. “… But it didn’t last long. Pretty soon we were back to fighting over stupid things. There were days he wouldn’t come home at all. Other times I’d choose to just work overtime at the hospital. I was still a medical intern back then. And it was a damn good excuse to not see his face. Work got me busy for a time. Things just… didn’t work out anymore. And then when I finally plucked up the courage to ask for a breakup, he got ahead of me. Bastard.”

Murphy’s brows drew together. “Why? What happened?”

Ahh… I remember it so well now.” Blake raised his head up slightly and closed his eyes, trying to summon memories he had long kept hidden. “It was on a Wednesday. I remember it was raining hard. He told me he’d be home late, so I just waited like I always do. I was worried he’d come home all drenched, so I wasn’t able to sleep. I stayed awake until 2 AM, but he wasn’t home yet. I must’ve dozed off because when I opened my eyes, it was already 5 in the morning. And Hunter still wasn’t home. I waited and waited… and waited some more.”

Hunter whimpered before him. “I didn’t… I didn’t mean to…”

“One week. It took me one week to finally wake up from the nightmare and realize he’d left me. I guess he sensed I was about to break it off with him, but he doesn’t want his pride to be stepped on, so he made the first move. But… did he actually think I’d do it? That I’d leave him? I tried… I tried so hard to come to terms with it. We’ve been together for more than a decade. We practically shared our whole life together. How is it so easy for someone to toss it down the drain just like that?” At this point, tears started welling in his eyes as he struggled to control the sobs. Murphy rose from his seat and walked towards him to rub his shoulder. But Blake waved him off.

“I stood up for him when his parents opposed our relationship and almost brought him to some quack doctor for conversion therapy. I faced discrimination from friends and church members with my head held high. And I damn well nearly disowned my family just to be with him. And I thought it was all worth it. It was worth losing everything and everyone else if that meant we can be together. Because to me, Hunter…” His voice cracked, lips trembling as he struggled to continue, “… Hunter is worth everything to me.” He rubbed his eyes, trying to stop himself from breaking down. “But I guess I was wrong. I was so, so wrong… It’s unacceptable. I can never bring myself to forgive him for what he’s done.” He seemed almost inconsolable.

Murphy sat back in his chair as he and Lucien watched Blake completely unravel emotionally in front of them like a snowball rolling uncontrollably down a hill, becoming larger as it went, and then exploding when it finally hit the bottom. It was a painful experience to witness someone’s pain and sorrow – a large degree of it they felt coming from a sense of helplessness as they watched Blake bare his soul like this.

But how much more could it be for Hunter? Murphy did not dare to imagine.

Blake’s diatribe towards Hunter went on for another five minutes. Then he suddenly stopped talking, dabbing his nose as he collected the empty teacups and saucers, and placed them back on the tray.

“I’m sorry. You were just here to ask me some questions, yet here I am, telling you my tragic love story,” Blake said in a barely audible voice, between tears and sniffling. “I just… need to get this off my chest. And this feels like a good time.” It was a transcendental moment to be able to release some of the anguish after so many years. It was emotionally cleansing, and he craved it for so long. “I stopped getting depressed over it. I realized eventually that it’s pointless, I’ll just end up being the loser. I had to move on.”

Murphy rubbed his chest and forced a smile. “It won’t help if you numb yourself of these negative emotions, Mr. Gao. The longer you struggle with them, the further it leads you to suffering.”

“Well…” Blake rubbed his eyes. “They said life is short. That there’s no time to be angry and that we should always be busy with love. But Hunter just… made me feel the complete opposite.”

These words were very painful to hear, even for Murphy and Lucien. They almost wanted Hunter to disappear right this instant, but he chose to stay. He listened to every word Blake had to say, even though his words felt like acid being poured to his face. It was his punishment, and he endured.

“Anger can be blinding, Mr. Gao,” Lucien finally spoke. “When we’re angry, we rarely stop to let facts get in the way of our fury.”

Blake eyed him inquiringly. “What do you mean by that? Do you think I’m wrong to assume that Hunter ran away with another man?” He quickly rubbed his eyes and stood up. “Okay. First of all, I don’t even know why I bothered telling you all this. I don’t even know you people. God, what’s gotten into me?” He shook his head in disbelief as he made for the kitchen.

Murphy shot Lucien an I-told-you-to-just-keep-quiet look and stood up to confront Blake. “Listen, Mr. Gao. The truth is…” He swallowed hard before continuing, “The truth is that, we came here out of concern for Hunter. Actually… we haven’t seen him for several months now.” It was a hasty lie that was sure to backfire.

“Murphy…!” Hunter and Lucien hissed alarmingly.

Blake’s demeanor changed from one of anger, to shock and distress. “What?” He put the tray back down on the table and covered his mouth with a hand. “What do you mean? D – Do you think something bad might’ve happened to him?”

Murphy glanced over Hunter and Lucien, bit his lip, and said, “It’s hard to explain everything to you right now, Mr. Gao.”

“When was the last time you saw him?” Blake demanded. “Please, tell me.”

Murphy glanced at his face for a moment, to see just how much skepticism was written there. And then, as if on a magical timing, they heard the front door creak open.

“Honey!” called out a soft female voice from the hallway. “There’s a car parked out front, and there’s a dog in our yard! Were you expecting some – “ A woman with wavy dark brown hair poked her head through one of the doors that partitioned the living room from the main hallway. She clapped a hand over her mouth. “Oh, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know you’re seeing patients today.”

She emerged out of the doorway and entered the living room. She looked casual yet smartly dressed in jeans, a pastel pink cardigan shirt and a neck scarf. Her face was made up yet not overdone, and her hair was scrunched up in a lazy ponytail.

Blake cleared his throat. “Oh. No, no. They’re my guests.” He wiped his face with a handkerchief, trying to get his bearings straight as he beamed at the woman and approached her. And then, he stooped to kiss her on the lips, a gesture that surprised both Lucien and Murphy.

Seconds later, they heard loud squealing as a young girl popped out from the hallway. She looked no more than three years old, with braided chestnut hair. When she saw there were strangers in the living room, she quickly buried her head in the woman’s cardigan, her tufty hair sticking out behind.

Blake stooped to plant a kiss on top of the little girl’s head. “Hey, toots. Had fun at school?”

The girl nodded without looking up at him.

“Come, Dakota, Daddy has guests. We shouldn’t disturb them,” said the woman in a low voice, as she carried the child up.

“This is my wife, Samantha. And this is my daughter, Dakota. She’s turning three in a couple of weeks,” Blake announced.

Lucien and Murphy’s jaw hung open.

What the f –“, Lucien tried to suppress his shock as much as he could, as he shot a questioning glance at Hunter. “What else should we know, Hunter? Is there anything else you’re keeping from us? If you’re keeping a love child from him, then you better tell us now, goddammit…!”

Murphy closed his eyes and rubbed the bridge of his nose in a pinching motion. “I don’t like these kinds of surprises. Seriously…”

Blake placed a hand on Samantha’s arm and pressed it lightly. “We, uhm, we were actually talking about Hunter. These are his friends, Murphy and Lucien.”

There was a look of mild surprise on the woman’s face, but her expression quickly softened. She smiled and said, “Hello. Pleased to meet you.” Then she turned to Blake. “We’ll just go to the playroom and let you guys talk in private – “

Blake shook his head. “No. Please stay. I… want you to hear what they have to say.”

Uh, are you sure that’s a good idea?” Lucien asked with hesitation.

Samantha sat down on the couch next to Blake. “I’m friends with Hunter. We’ve known each other since high school.” She paused before saying, “I also know he and Blake used to date.”

Lucien gave Murphy a slight nudge with his elbow and whispered, “This is starting to get really awkward.”

Snuffles!” the girl suddenly squealed as she squirmed free of her mother’s arms to jump down to the floor. The girl’s voice rose. “Snuffles here! Snuffles here!” She jumped excitedly as she pointed towards Hunter. “Mom, Dad, Snuffles here!”

Hunter gathered himself as he approached the child and smiled. “Hello there, Little Ducky. Missed me?”

“Yes! Dakota miss Snuffles!”

“The kid can see you, too?” Lucien whispered to him.

Hunter bent down to take a closer look at the little girl. “Apparently, kids can be sensitive, too. When I realized she could see me, I thought, ‘Hey, maybe those kids with ‘imaginary friends’ weren’t just imagining them, after all. Kinda’ creepy, huh?” Lucien shivered as he said this. “Anyway, I come to visit Dakota from time to time. She’s a sweet and happy child.”

Samantha chortled as she went up to get Dakota. “Snuffles is her imaginary friend,” she said as she gave Dakota a peck on the cheek. “So, Mr. Snuffles is back? Want to show him your new dolly?”

“Yes!” The girl jumped with glee.

“It’s in your playroom. Do you think you can go get it yourself?”

She nodded as she scuttled outside the living room.

Once the child had gone, they resumed their conversation, starting with Blake.

“Sam and I have been married for four years. It’s exactly as she said, she’s friends with me and Hunter.” He looked at her with gentle, loving eyes. “She… accepted me for who I am. I’ve always known she has feelings for me but, I was with Hunter then. But even after Hunter disappeared from my life, Sam was there to stay. She helped me get back up my feet. Pulled me out of chronic depression. Soon I realized it’s the right time for me to return her feelings.” He tipped her chin and kissed her gently. “I’m happy with Sam. And with our daughter.”

Hunter smiled somberly as he said this. “This is how it’s supposed to be.” There was no sign of pain nor regret on his face. He looked genuinely happy, seeing the love of his life filled with affection towards another person.

“Hold on,” Samantha suddenly said as she placed a hand on Blake’s cheek, staring at his bloodshot eyes. “Were you crying? Are you okay?”

Blake shifted from the couch and rubbed his eyes. “Oh, uhm, it’s nothing. I’m fine now. We just… talked about Hunter. You know how it is when someone brings him up.”

Samantha gathered him in her arms and patted him on the back. She was willing to accept everything about Blake – his past with Hunter included.

She learned to accept the truth a long time ago. That she cannot compete with a memory, especially when it’s something as beautiful as what Blake and Hunter used to share. She was moved by their devotion for each other. It’s the same devotion that made her realize it’s a battle she knew she can never truly win. Eventually, she just had to make more room for Blake’s baggage.

But throughout their marriage, Blake remains good to her and their daughter. They got along quite well, and that was more than enough for her. And what she needs now, is for Blake to finally learn to let go of the past.

“So… what about Hunter? Is he back in town?” Samantha asked. Murphy could sense the worried tone of her voice.

“No. Uhm… Actually, we just came over to get some of his stuff,” Murphy answered as he motioned for Lucien to get to the front door.

“But I already told you, I threw away all his stuff,” Blake insisted.

“A box,” Lucien emphasized. “He wants us to get a green wooden box.”

Blake paused, trying to remember what exactly he was talking about. He bit his lip and looked down. “I’m sorry. I threw it away last year…” he said regretfully. “Like I said, there’s nothing left for him to take.”

Murphy turned to Hunter with a rueful look, moving his lips in a silent ‘I’m sorry’.

Hunter forced a smile. “There’s nothing we can do. Let’s go,” he said as he stepped out of the room.

“Well then, we’ll just let Hunter know. We should probably get going now, Mr. Gao, Mrs. Gao. Thanks again for your time.” Murphy shook their hands and turned to leave.

Snuffles?” Dakota’s tiny voice emerged from the hallway. This time, she was carrying a rag doll with yellow hair and a pink-and-blue dress. She ran towards Hunter. “Leaving, Snuffles?”

“Yes, Little Ducky. But Mr. Snuffles will be back soon,” Hunter promised as he waved at the girl and walked towards the front door.

Samantha gathered the little girl back in her arms. “Come, Dakota, let’s say good-bye to our guests.”

Wait,” Blake called out after them as he pulled out his phone. “Y – You said you haven’t been in contact with Hunter. How will I know if you’ve found him?”

“Wait, Hunter’s gone missing?” Samantha cut in, looking alarmed.

Murphy rubbed the back of his neck, trying to look for answers. “We’re… not so sure ourselves,” he replied vaguely. “I would like to keep in touch with you if we ever get new information regarding Hunter’s whereabouts.”

“May I get your number?” Blake asked, and they agreed to exchange numbers. “Feel free to call me if anything comes up.”

Murphy nodded as he placed his phone back inside his coat pocket.

Blake left them with a grateful smile as he went back upstairs with Dakota, while Samantha saw them out the door.

“Do we have a reason to worry about Hunter? I mean, I know they’ve drifted apart in such a horrible way but, I know Blake’s feeling really anxious right now. And I’m just as worried.” Samantha said as she leaned against the door.

“I wish I could answer that myself, Mrs. Gao,” Murphy said contritely. “I promise to let you and Mr. Gao know once we get in touch with Hunter.”

Samantha bit her bottom lip as she sucked in a quick breath. She seemed to be hesitating over something, as she looked over her shoulder. Then she looked back at Murphy and Lucien. “Uhm, can you give me a minute? I’m just going to get something inside,” she murmured.

The men gave her a quizzical look, and then nodded. Samantha excused herself and hurried back inside.

‘Are you guys done?’ Pyewacket’s voice emerged in Lucien’s head. He ran towards him and settled down at his feet, tail wagging.

Lucien rubbed his neck right behind the ears. ‘We’ll be leaving soon’, he said as he looked around. ‘Anything happened while we’re gone?’

Master, I’m afraid you should hurry up with what you need to do,’ Pyewacket said cautiously as he scanned his eyes around. ‘I’ve already seen three demons lurking around. You won’t find that many in one place unless something’s luring them in.’

‘They’re going after Hunter?’

‘Yes. For now, you and I can keep them at bay, but the longer that spirit stays in the mortal realm, the more he’ll look like food to these fiends. And he’ll just keep attracting more of them. His time’s almost up, Master.’

Lucien bit his lip in anxiety. ‘Something came up that’ll make things even more complicated. I’ll fill you in later.’

Pyewacket curled up beside him as he straightened up and faced Murphy.

After a brief pause, Lucien said, “You clearly looked like you were about to tell him the truth.”

Murphy pursed his lips and massaged his temple. “I was about to. But finding out he has a family of his own completely changes everything. My carelessness could’ve had serious implications.” He sighed before continuing. “Let’s not pretend to be blind, Lucien. Mr. Gao still couldn’t bring himself to completely move on. Otherwise, Hunter won’t be stuck here. And if I told him that Hunter’s already dead without even knowing the cause, it would’ve destroyed him and, in the process, his family. I don’t want that to happen. It’ll be on me.”

Lucien very much wanted to give him reassurance – in part because he believed he was to blame for his brash decision that nearly ruined all their plans.

“Do you get it now?” Murphy broke his trail of thought. “This is why I don’t want you to come along, especially when sensitive things like this are involved. One wrong move and it could ruin everything for Hunter. And there’ll be no one else to blame but us.”

Moments later, Samantha returned with a rustic wooden box. It was just as big as a shoe box, antique-looking, and has been painted a beautiful shade of green which has mostly faded away. But it looked special with its intricate mosaic inlay patterns.

Lucien and Murphy knew instinctively what it was.

Samantha handed the box over to Murphy. “Blake doesn’t know I kept it. I saw him getting rid of Hunter’s stuff one day and, it seems such a waste to just throw this one away.” She ran her hand over the box, staring at it with a smile that had a melancholy quality to it. “It’s a bunch of memorabilia Blake and Hunter have collected over the years. I’m not sure. I didn’t have the right to go over it. But Blake had been keeping it in his closet for a long time. It was precious to him.”

Murphy stared at the box for a moment, smiled at Samantha, and gave his sincere thanks.

“Was it Hunter who was looking for it?” she asked.

“… Yes. He said there’s something important in it.”

“I see,” Samantha said stiffly, and he sensed her reluctance to carry the conversation further.

“I know you have a lot of questions for us. I’ll try my best to answer them,” Murphy said encouragingly.  

“Has he… really gone missing? Are you two investigators? What was Hunter up to this whole time? Why the sudden disappearance? Why – “

Murphy raised a hand to stop her. “Okay, let’s hold back on the questions. One at a time.” He took a deep breath and said, “We’re not investigators, but it’s true that we’re Hunter’s friends. And we’re concerned about his well-being. So okay, you can say we’re trying to find as much information as we can to find out his current whereabouts.”

“Do you think he’s in trouble?”

“Honestly, I hope he isn’t. The thing is, we should’ve come here much earlier. His last request was for us to get this box for him.”

“He doesn’t want to see Blake anymore? Is that it?” She sounded more apprehensive this time and she probably realized this because she lowered her head apologetically. “To be perfectly honest… I’ve always dreaded the idea of Hunter coming back into Blake’s life. Into our lives.” She bit her lip, feeling as though she said something blasphemous. “Am I wrong to think that way? Is it wrong to wish that Blake would never be taken away from me? Because Hunter… Hunter can easily do that without even trying.” Samantha’s whole body trembled as she spoke about her fears. And then, she made a strange guttural sound, half sob, half cry, and she covered her face with her hands.

Lucien moved closer to put his arms about her. “Please don’t cry,” Lucien said, gently patting her shoulder. “You don’t have to feel bad about it. Blake’s your husband. Nobody else should come between you two.”

“You d–don’t understand,” Samantha said, sobbing into his shoulder. “I f–feel that I could never t–truly replace him in Blake’s heart. And… And if he comes back, I – I wouldn’t know what to do.”

Ssh, don’t cry,” Lucien said soothingly.

But she kept crying. It was as though a spring of tears, which she had held back for such a long time, finally burst forth. And amidst the wracking sobs, she let out some nearly incoherent words. She seemed compelled to explain to them her sorrow and fear. The only thing Lucien managed to grasp was that she would often find herself asking for Hunter’s forgiveness. That there are days when she thinks she doesn’t deserve to be with Blake, that their love was pale in comparison to what Hunter and Blake used to share, and that she only stole Blake from the one person he truly loves.

For Lucien, it was painful to witness two different sides to the same tragic story. And he did not know how to comfort her. All he could do was say, “There, there,” patting her gently on the back.

It wasn’t until two minutes later when she finally withdrew from Lucien. When her weeping finally subsided, she lifted a hand to her cheeks and wiped the tears away. She was blushing with embarrassment. “I’m – I’m so sorry,” she said, her voice still thick. “I don’t know what came over me. It’s shameful.”

“Not to us,” Lucien assured her.

Samantha’s eyes were still wet and bloodshot, and her lips were swollen from the flood of tears. “P – Please, take the box with you. You can go through them if you must. And I hope it’ll help with your search for Hunter. And…” she was hesitant for a moment, and said, “if you ever find him, tell him we’re here. Tell him… to give Blake a proper sense of closure. Give him the emotional distance to move on.”

Lucien could only wish he could say, ‘Oh lady, if only you knew, this goes both ways.’

 


 

After stopping by for a quick lunch, Murphy thought it wise to drive back to Miami as soon as possible. Both he and Lucien seemed to understand the seriousness of the situation and, for the most part, spent the trip in agreeable silence.

After a while, Lucien finally spoke, “It must’ve been really painful for Mrs. Gao to say those things.”

Murphy did not reply at once. He set the car into gear and switched it to cruise control. “It’s painful for everyone, Lucien. But for the time being, what they don’t know won’t hurt them. It’s the lesser of two evils.”

Lucien bit his thumb. He desperately wanted to tell him about the demons lurking around Hunter. That they should protect him at all cost. That his time in the mortal realm was waning fast. In the end, he could only resort to saying, “Hunter has to go soon. We’re only delaying the inevitable. And the longer we stall, the more we prolong their suffering.”

Murphy huffed as he looked in the rear-view mirror. “Hunter, if you’re there, tell us what to do next.”

Hunter appeared almost at once. But this time, his face was ashen and his lips were set tight, drawing in a look of despair.

“You said we needed to meet two people. We’ve already met Mr. Gao. Who’s next in the list?”

Hunter’s gaze was pointed downwards. “… He currently lives in Pinecrest. Apartment 304, in Marigold Lane.”

Murphy tapped his fingers on the steering wheel, thoughtful. “Pinecrest… I think that’s less than thirty minutes away from Miami.”

Hunter nodded. “His name’s Cyrus O’Malley.”

Lucien made a mental note and with a cold voice, said, “For the love of god, please don’t tell me this is the guy you eloped with. I’ll be damned if he is, Hunter. I didn’t know you could be such a douchebag.”

Hunter heaved a deep and audible sigh, closed his eyes, and replied, “I just want you two to be careful around this guy.”

Lucien scrunched up his face. “Are we going to be in any sort of danger?”

“Just… make sure to go there together.”

“That’s not exactly reassuring, you know.” Lucien closed his eyes and leaned back in the car seat, trying to clear his mind from everything that had transpired that day. He had been carrying the wooden box since they left Coral Springs and remembered something he’d been meaning to ask Hunter. “What’s in this box, anyway? Why do you need it?”

“Something important. And I need you to give it to Blake once I’m gone. Well, that’s only if I’d be able to finally leave this place.”

You will, Hunter,” Murphy said doggedly. “We’ll make sure you will.”

 

As always, thanks for reading! Please follow me to get notified on upcoming chapter releases and some special announcements (ie Wattpad-exclusive special chapters). I'd also love to hear from you guys. Your comments and feedback matter to me. <3

1