It’s Time For… CHARACTER INSPIRATION! (Part 1)
142 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One thing about my creative writing process (and I'm sure many other writers do this, too), is that it's difficult to progress with the story if I couldn't get a clear picture of my characters' faces. I need to be able to envision their facial expressions when they talk and when they act. Seriously, can one even move forward with a story when they see nothing but faceless people in their head? Seems kinda' boring to me.

So now, I'm going to show my dear readers which (*cough* beautiful *cough*) real-life and fictional men I drew inspiration from when I worked on my main characters' physical descriptions:

 

Mammon was the first character I really drew up a character inspiration on        

Mammon was the first character I really drew up a character inspiration on. So even before Lucien, I already had a physical description prepared for him. Heh. 

"Arknights", by the way, is a popular tower defense mobile game. I got so invested in this game for a while, and I really thought about Hellagur when I was trying to create a persona for Mammon. But that's mostly because I was so frustrated that I wasn't able to get Hellagur in the game! He even visited me in my dream. LOL.

 

Lucien is a stingy, easily provoked, overall moody person        

Lucien is a stingy, easily provoked, overall moody person. When I was working on his character profile and description, Chang Liu from Jang Mokdan's BL novel, "Walk on Water", was the first person that came to mind. And just like Chang, you'll rarely see Lucien in anything other than suits and formal wear. But of course, Lucien's a softboi compared to Chang -- and he's not as mean! Anyway, make sure to check out "Walk on Water", too. It's a real gem.

 

One of the benefits of familiarizing oneself with popular models and influencers, is that you'll never run out of inspiration for your character descriptions        

One of the benefits of familiarizing oneself with popular models and influencers, is that you'll never run out of inspiration for your character descriptions. I struggled with describing Pye's physical features but then I found an article about Marlon Teixeira and, unironically, remembered Nir Levi in one of his older shots. I looked it up and when I found that photo, I started writing about Pye's character description based on it, right away!

 

I struggled with M        

I struggled with M. I couldn't find a specific model to draw inspiration from, for his character description. Sometimes in my head, he'd look like Legolas, but I could only imagine the hairstyle, not the facial features. At first I sort of blindly described his features in one chapter. But lo and behold, I chanced upon a pretty-looking Tiktoker on social media, and I felt like I've found a long-lost son. 

If only Bailey Seaman has lengthier, more golden colored hair, then I've really found the perfect inspiration! 

 

As a side note, I've also been wanting to get back to drawing. I've stopped doing so, the same time I suffered from writer's block and went on a long hiatus (as a Wattpad writer). Hopefully when I have plenty of time (and energy) to draw on the side, I'll create illustrations for the characters in "An Inconvenient Flame", and make a proper book cover for it. 

So that's it for Part 1 of Character Inspiration! Expect more as new characters appear in "An Inconvenient Flame"! As always, thanks for reading and don't forget to leave comments and feedback. Much love! - Xenoglossia

1