Chapter 2 – Darkening clouds
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The city gate came into view again. They walked all the way together with Rick until Marie finally managed to chase him away.

“Well, that was a bit disappointing.”

Marie looked over to Aiden. “Did you really thought somethings going to happen?”

“No. But you know how it is. The most we poor people can do is dream. Everything else is just too expensive to us.” He laughed at his own words thinking that reality always bit harder than every dream he had.

“You know that you will always have a place to work at our shop later. As long as you can finish school at least.” Marie smiled brightly.

“Thanks, but before I rely on friends I have to try on my own.” Marie is just too nice of a person, he thought. At this rate she is going get swindled by some bad guy. “Now then, let’s get to Berta’s place, I have to buy vegetable for tonight’s dinner.”

As they wanted to walk past the gate the guard started to speak to them.

“Hey kids, have you seen a band of mercenaries out there?”

“No sir, did something happen?”

“Just the usual. They went to clear up the monsters in the forest near the pass. But they should have been back yesterday. Most likely they just stayed at the village down there. Now, get inside, didn’t want to stop you both.”

As they walked inside the guard grumbled. “I really hope that’s all…”

 

 

“Hey Berta!”

“Hi kids, want to buy something?” Old Berta did not only know anyone in this city but also knew how to get along with most of them. She sold the products of the farm her husband owned. And while selling these she always liked some small chats.

“Yes, I need a bag of potatoes and a bundle of carrots. And the usual for Sam.”

“Sure thing, coming right up.” Berta glanced at Marie. “By the way Marie, seeing that you both are alone here, did you finally…” She grinned.

“No Berta! And I said it isn’t like that!”

“Alright honey, but you should make sure you won’t wait too long, or someone else is going to. When I was at your age, I already made sure that everybody knew who my husband will be, especially the other girls back then.”

“Berta!” Marie slowly started to blush.

Slowly the people in the market area got fewer and fewer with time as most people had work to do.

“Here you go Aiden.” The boy took the bags turning to leave as Berta went on. “And take good care of Marie. I don’t want to see our little girl here cry.” She smiled, but the smile didn’t seem to reach her eyes. Cold sweat started to run down Aiden’s spine.

“Of course, mam!”

“Then everything’s good.”

After hearing his answer, she smiled wholeheartedly. Seeing her like before she reminded him of Martha. Have women some kind of inner demon? Please Marie, just stay nice like you always have been, he thought.

“Well Marie, I should take these home. See you next week at school.”

“Father told me to come to the store after this. If you have some free time later come over to play!”

 


 

Forest of Pran

 

Three people run through thick, overgrown bushes. Thorns scratched their legs and twigs cracked under their feet. If a skilled hunter had seen them, he would never think that they ever went into a forest before. Never would he have thought that they would be the mercenaries regulary cleaning this forest from monsters.

“Shit! Shit! Shit!” A man, as big as an oak tree, cursed.

“Be quiet!” cursed another one. This one was a young woman, slender, with pointed ears and a bow in her hand.

“The next time I see this hairy fella I’m gonna skin it alive!”

“Do you think I’m not angry! Just be quiet so we get the chance to do, brute.”

“Rather why don’t you say something, Dur?”

“Can’t speak… have to… run…”

As the trio passed by a bush the trees got sparser.

“A clearing, watch for enemies.”

They stood still for a moment; the only sound was the rustling of leaves in the wind. “Nothing here, let’s go.” The big man walked into the clearing as from the other side a pair of green-skinned, disfigured bodies appeared. “Shit, not again.” He heard an arrow let loose behind him.

The woman shot one goblin down as another five followed the pair out of the bushes. “Curses, why are there always so many goblins?”

“Hah… Just when I thought… I get to rest… a moment.”

“Old man, you should get a little more exercise.”

“You know we dwarves aren’t made for this. We’re sprinters not distance runners.”

“You just drink too much.”

“Stop chatting and get in position you idiots.” She let loose another arrow, this one drilled itself in the stomach of another goblin. “How about the lowest kills pays the drink tonight?”

The big man saw a fire getting started in the eyes of the dwarf. “Shit, I better get started, before this drunkard overtakes me.” He started to run, lifting his heavy axe, as stone spears shot around him. “Hey, Magic kills don’t count!”

“Of course, they count if the price is alcohol!” The dwarf struck the ground with his staff and sent another round of stone spears at the goblins.

“Dammit!” The man kept running at the goblin as another arrow flew past. “I’m not gonna pay!” With a roar he slammed his axe at a goblin and cleaved it apart. He looked around. Three goblins taken an arrow, two struck down by stone. The last survivor ran back to the bushes it came from. “Not gonna get last.” He lifted his axe and started to run again.

“Sorry, but you will pay tonight.” Another arrow was let loose, seemingly missing the goblin at first. But as if riding a gust of wind, the arrow curved and landed in the green throat.

“Good going, woman.” The dwarf smiled.

“Next time it’ll be your turn to pay, gramps.”

Guided by the sound of battle a big roar was heard behind the mercenaries. Earth shook as tree’s toppled.

“Shit, it’s still behind us, run guys!” What originally began as a sprint to the last surviving goblin turned into another run away from that thing.

Once again, the three ran away, turning from the hunter to the hunted.

 


 

Aiden arrived at the entry to the slums. Clouds slowly started to drift near the city, darkening the gloomy atmosphere around the slums even further. He saw Sam, sitting near the entry. Even he didn’t have his crazy smile on anymore.

“Sam, everything all right?”

“Ah Aiden, better watch out, one-eye is going around taking taxes.” One could see the disdain in Sam’s eyes.

“Seems like they got something from you too, huh.”

“Took of with all the money I got today. If it was five years earlier all they would have gotten is a new hole to breathe through.” He caressed his scabbard.

“At least I got something to eat for you.” Aiden opened my bag and took out four apples. “Seems like Berta’s got generous with you.”

“Thanks pal, I can always rely on ya.”

“It’s just for you always helping us. Don’t mention it.”

“Never forget. If we help each other it’s gonna get easier, I tell ya. Works for any situation.”

And there he was again. Crazy smile and old man’s wisdom. “You just had to ruin it, hadn’t you?”

“You’re just to young to understand yet.” And like an old man he laughed about his own jokes that nobody young could ever understand.

“Well Sam, I got to go. Don’t want to get caught in the rain.”

“Sure, watch out pal. And go take your sister home later, better safe than sorry if these guys are around.”

 

 

And he even told me about it… Big, brown, bald and smelly, one could think he is a Hobgoblin. Well, at least he wears more than a goblin.

“So boy, what’s it gonna be. Do you give us your money, or do we have to take it?”

Shit, just what did I do wrong today. Should I have been nicer to Rick? Nah, he’s got it coming for him too. “I’m terribly sorry Sir, but all my money went into these vegetables.”

“Sure, but lets just take a look into these pockets, kay, you wouldn’t lie to us.”

Why couldn’t it just have worked… He sighed. “Okay, wait a …” He threw the bag in one-eye’s face and started to run.

One-eye clenched his nose. “Shitty brat, stop right there!”

“As if anyone would stop when you scream it!” Still got enough money to last us this week. I can’t let him get it. He ran down the alley. Left, right, trying to lead them away from his house. Frantically he looked around for a chance to get away.

“Catch that rat!”

They’re still behind me. Where can I go? He saw a ladder and ran up the steps. As he arrived on top, he kicked it down.

“Arg, stop brat, or I’ll just get the money from your sister!”

He stopped. What does this fucker want to do? The boy looked down from above.

“That’s right bitch, give it to us now or pay the price later. I know a few guys who would like to have fun with her.”

“You fuckin…” As he wanted to curse something struck him in the back.

“Boss, I got ‘im.” A skinny goon called down from above the street.

“Good work, kick him down.”

No, you won’t. Aiden tried to stand up. “Ack.” Another strike hit him, and he tumbled to the edge. Then came the last kick needed. For a moment he felt like he was flying, but as always reality came back as a siege hammer for him as he landed on the cold floor with a loud thud.

“So, you shit, wanted to take off, huh?”

“Arrrg.” He stepped on his arm. Shit, it hurts.

“What, say something you little piece of crap.”

You motherfucker. “Get off…” He lifted his leg.

And kicked him in the stomach. “Have I allowed you to say something shit.”

Fuck, it hurts. This fucking asshole.

“And now you’re keeping quiet again, huh. Then just keep quiet.”

He kicked again and again. “This doesn’t make fun if you don’t say anything. Let’s try something else. Hey, you, lift his leg.”

What!? Hey! He tried to speak, but his chest didn’t want to bulge because of the pain. “Hey…”

“Hmmm, did you hear something? No, then get on fucker!”

Stop it! I’ll give you the money, so stop. He lifted the boy’s leg. Stop fucker! Don’t come here… No!

A leg stomped down on another and with a loud crack it bent the wrong way.

“Ahhhh! You damn…!”

“Shut up brat.” One-eye kicked the boy in the head and knocked him out. “Ah, this serene quietness. Now, lets see how much he got.” He reached down and took his purse. “What? It’s not even a silver coin in total? We have chased him for so little. Piece of shit.” He kicked the boy again, not bothering that he already lost consciousness. “Hey, you both, take him and break his other leg, then dump him somewhere.”

“Sure thing, boss.”

“All this crap for nothing.” Angrier than before one-eye left the boy to his thugs.

 


 

“Alright Eve, we’re closing for today.”

“Okay boss.” The last guest went, and the restaurant closed for the day.

“Eve take these things. They’re going to be bad soon and we can’t use them in our dishes anymore. I know you’re caring about your brother so if these help take’m.”

Eve looked at the bag filled with fresh vegetables and even a piece of meat. “Boss, I can’t, these are too much.”

“Oh, you can, and you will. You have worked for us for so long. And as you know I have a child too and I know how hard it can be to care for them. Now take these.”

“Thanks boss.” A tear shimmered in Eve’s eye.

“Don’t cry silly girl! Now go and get home before it’s too late.”

Eve walked down the abbey to the slums. The evening got colder as the clouds blocked the sun. When she arrived at the entry to the slum, she saw Sam.

“Hey Sam, you shouldn’t sleep outside, it’s too cold.”

Sam woke up. “Huh, lass, what’re ya doin’ here alone? I told the boy to pick ya up.”

“Sam, I always get home alone, I’m no child.”

“I know that, lass, but one-eye went around, so I told him.”

Eve panicked. “You said what? Oh gods above, don’t let something happen to him…” She started to run into the street.

“Hey lass, wait up, I’m comin’ with you!”


The sky darkened and night fell upon the land. An unnatural wind began to weave its way through the capital, wind, filled with smoke, turning the streets even darken, as the only source of light were a few stars shining their weak light through the clouds.

 

0