Chapter 5 – The troll
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tiles broke as a pair of feet landed on them. The dwarf looked beside him, watching the elf landing softly without a sound.

“See, I told you I’ll bring us inside.”

“Watch out!” screamed Brute as he fell landing a few feet apart from them. He crashed into the roof, breaking even more of the tiles. Shards shot out from his position and the wood creaked as the roof collapsed under the sudden strain, creating a hole and dragging Brute into the dark house.

The dwarf grinned at the elf. “We even have a way down women.”

From the hole came a loud shout. “Dur, I’m gonna hit you for real this time!”

“How about you go down first?” asked Dur.

 

 

Going down the stairs the trio reached the entrance of the house.

“Now that we’re inside, what’s the next step?” asked Brute.

“Everyone’s probably looking for some kind of shelter, which should be the fortress by now, seeing as the walls have been breached.”

“Don’t tell me you haven’t thought of what we’re gonna do, now that we are inside.”

“Killing monsters and getting back to the guild. The usual stuff.”

The dwarf groaned. “Dammit women, there is nothing usual about this week. Well, first, how about we greet our group of little guests?”

The door creaked as dim light made its way into the house. “Giiigii.” A group of goblins stood outside, armed with knives and clubs.

Brute stepped forth; hands strongly gripped on his axe. “You both rest for a moment, I’ll take care of these. The man stood before the goblins, towering over the little beings which didn’t even reach half his size. The first pair of goblins ran at him. He swung his axe sideways, cleaving through both and painting the wall with their blood. An evil grin showed on his face as he stepped forward, the goblins backing away seeing the demise of the other two before them.

“Now, now, don’t run away, I still need to bring up my score.”

He lifted his axe and threw it against a goblin in the rear, striking the goblin in his chest. Fear filled the eyes of the goblins as they looked at their brethren lying on the floor.

“Where are you looking?” A foot came crashing down on a goblin, pressing it down and crushing it under the sheer weight of the man.

One goblin looked at the club in his hand, which was nothing more than a thick branch, and threw it at the man. Then it grabbed the axe trying to lift it, but it didn’t budge in the slightest.

The club flew back past the goblin striking another goblin left in the house. He turned around as a hand grabbed his face, lifting the goblin up.

“Don’t you think you’re a little bit to small to play with such things.” Brute smashed the head down, breaking the floor in the movement and burying it in a pool of blood and shards of the stone floor.

As the last goblins tried to back away out of the house on was kicked inside, directly into Brute.

He swung his arm from right to left, deflecting the goblin and smashing it into the wall. In front of him a goblin, dark green in color and twice as big as a normal one came through the door.

“A hob-goblin, huh.” The grin on Brute’s face twisted even further. “At least something a bit stronger.” He grabbed the axe, pulling it out of the body and flicked away the blood. “Let’s see what you have in store for me.”

The hobgoblin stepped forward, pulling out a sword with chipped edge.

“Want to be a warrior? Looking at that blade of yours you have stolen it from a bandit or such. Clearly you are to dumb to take proper care of it. Let me release it from the suffering it has to go through by being with you.”

The elf and the dwarf looked at the scene. Exhausted at the scene the elf told the dwarf.

“He should just slaughter them.”

“I know. It’s not as if these guys would even understand him.”

The top part of the hob-goblins sword flew past them, being broken apart by the massive axe.

“If he just fought without talking then he would be much faster.”

“True women, but who would then be paying for our alcohol.” The dwarf began to laugh.

Meanwhile Brute stood in front of the hobgoblin. Its right arm laid on the floor, leaving a bleeding stump. It stumbled back, disoriented from the blood loss, falling onto the ground.

Brute took a step forward, once again lifting the axe. “This still wasn’t enough to be called a good fight.” With his last word the axe came crashing down.

 


 

Screams were everywhere as smoke filled the streets. The fire got closer to the main street as it burned its way through the town, filling the scene with a red light.

Damn, this lad is heavier than she looked like. Sam made his way through the masses, trying to carry Eve to the castle. At least there are no monster here now. The denizens of the city ran for their life as soldiers came from the castle to support the people fleeing. Good, cavalry is finally here.

The people got lesser and lesser, as most didn’t carry someone else and were therefore faster. Sam exhaled in relief at the look of the castle gate, as a loud crashing sound came from behind him. Bricks of the wall came flying crashing into the street and the houses around him. He looked back, seeing a giant troll coming through the remains of the gate.

Soldiers started to swarm the troll, trying to suppress the giant with numbers, but were swatted away with a wave of his hand.

Not the time to be standing here! Once again Sam ran to the castle. He nearly reached it as with a screeching noise the portcullis was dropped down. “Damn ya fuckers, there are still people out here, fightin’ for their lives!” He screamed, but there was no answer back. The ground shook as the troll came nearer, drawn in from the sound. “Curses, I’ll get you bastards!” Sam turned around, looking at the troll.

I’m never gonna outrun it with the lad on my back. He looked at Eve. Can’t take her with me. Damn, I can’t just leave her to die here. “Hey, you assholes in there. Take this woman inside will ya. I’ll take care of that piece of shit!” Sam laid Eve against the castle wall. Then he turned to the troll. Lad, you better survive this and find your little brother. I’m not gonna let you rest in peace if you turn up dead.

The troll looked at the castle, amused as if he had found another plaything. The small flies behind him all wound up dead fast enough. He didn’t even get to eat much as most of them flew away after being hit. Now, he saw another two, thinking to himself to take care as if to not ruin his meal for the moment.

Sam saw the troll grinning at him, drool seeping out of his mouth. Thinkin’ I’m an easy snack aren’t ya. Better look twice you lump of meat! Sam started to run at the troll and screamed: “Constellation of swords! Grant this old fool your blessing for one last time!”

The rain stopped as clouds parted, making way for a group of stars shining silver light down on Ramur. Down in the streets Sam was surrounded by a silver aura as strength filled his body unbefitting his frail physic left by years of malnourishment. The aura concentrated on his sword as he struck, cleaving land and air apart.

 


 

In an alley surrounded by fire Aiden woke up. Disoriented and weakened from the wounds all over his body he tried to get up, as he noticed the goblin lying atop of him. Shit, I’m not gonna get eaten! He threw the body of him and crouched back. Panicking he looked at the goblin as the flames lit up a piece of wood, coming out of the neck. The broom? He exhaled. It’s dead. Flames crackled as a part of the house behind him broke apart.

Can’t stay here, he thought. He stood up, once again glancing at the goblin to make sure it’s dead. Still not moving. He walked past the goblin, watching for any suspicious movement. He went down the abbey, flames flickering around him. I better hurry up!

Aiden ran down the abbey, looking for a place without fire. Nowhere is safe, shit! As he turned around another corner he stumbled across a pair of corpses. Two man riddled with claw-marks and bite wounds lay there. He gagged, trying not to through up, as a piece of metal glinted in the light of the fire. Is that an axe? He picked up the hatchet. Well, a bit small. He started to cough. I need to get out of here, damn smoke. Once again, he broke into a run. But everywhere he went flames raged and broken houses blocked the way.

Shit, how do I get out of here? He looked around, as he remembered the street, he was in. Wait, I ran here earlier, when I fled from one-eye. He ran down the street turning left. If I remember right it was here. He looked around, searching the ground. Found it! He ran to the wall, picking up the ladder which he used to climb earlier this day. Struggling to keep it from falling over he leaned it against the wall and started to climb up.

Reaching the top, he climbed upon the roof. Around him a sea of fire lit up the night. He looked in the direction of the main street seeing a silver light, shining down from the sky. The power of stars! The boy was shocked at the display, forgetting his own situation for a moment and gazed at the scene.

Shit, I need to get out of here, else I end up as fried meat. The boy started to run atop the roofs, jumping over the edges of houses standing close together. Behind him a few of them broke apart, strained by the sudden stress put upon them by the boy running over them. He went on and on, climbing even higher as the reached the end of the slum and the higher buildings of wealthier people. As he neared the main street sound of fighting and roars of a beast reached him. He stopped, looking at the ruins of nearby building. Towering over them was a giant beast clad in wounds. The courage he found as he escaped the fiery hell behind him was now lost as he looked at the beast.

 


 

“Go, we are nearly there!” the elf shouted, running ahead of them.

“Tell me why we’re going to the main street again?”

“Don’t you want to see the fighter who can use the magic of stars at this level?”

“You know I never run away from a good fight,” said Brute, “but that thing is on another level, bathing the whole city in his light.”

The dwarf laughed out loud. “You are just to young. When I was your age there were people like that everywhere!”

“And how come you aren’t outta breath when we are running all this time now!” he looked at the dwarf in suspicion.

“I’m feeling young again, bathing in this light.” As if trying to back his words the dwarf got even faster.

Brute exhaled, “Why did I even sign up with them both…” and sped up behind them.

 


 

Silver flickered as a sword passed the air, creating a huge wave of light striking the troll.

Damn, if it wasn’t for this regeneration of it, it would already be dead. Sam swung his sword again, breathing heavily. I don’t have much time anymore. He ran at the troll. It swung its fist, trying to squash Sam. The troll was ridden with wounds, bleeding all over, and slowing down. Sam rolled under the fist, escaping his doom. He cleaved upwards, hitting the arm directly, slicing it apart from his body. The troll screamed in anger as Sam was bathed in the blood gushing out of its stump.

Blood splashed in Sam’s eyes, blinding him for a moment. He didn’t see the other arm of the troll coming as it crashed into him, throwing him away into a wall of a nearby building.

 

 

“Damn, Sam!” Aiden shouted out at the sight of his friend being shot away. He looked at the troll stomping his way to the building Sam crashed into. I can’t let Sam die like this. He jumped over the edge of the roof, landing on the building were Sam was, as his feet slipped away. He skidded down grabbing the edge of the roof.

 

 

On the other side of the street the mercenary trio came out of an abbey.

“Shit, I think the trolls got him!” Cursed Brute.

“He’s not dead yet, the stars are still shining,” said Dur.

“Then what do you wanna do? I’m gonna tell you now I’m no match for that beast!”

“We just need to divert it. Seems like that fighter is in that house.”

“Then one of you both strike it. It’s already looking inside!”

The elf drew her bow. “Spirits, aid this one in her…” She started her incantation as she was startled by the sudden appearance of a boy on top of the roof stopping her in her speech.

 

 

“Let go of Sam!” Aiden ran at the troll and jumped from the roof. The troll crouched in front of the building as it looked inside, making itself much smaller than at its full height. The boy grabbed the hatchet he picked up earlier, veins bulging in his hands as he swung it down at the head while falling. He struck the troll at his eye, hanging in front of his mouth. Teeth greeted him, combining with a horrible smell, as the troll screamed in pain.

It lifted itself up, shacking his head trying to get the boy away. Aiden tried his best to hold on, clutching the hatchet stuck in the troll’s head. Seeing how the boy didn’t get thrown away the troll raised his remaining arm, seizing the boy and tearing him away from his face. It looked at the little thing, which was the second one to hurt him here. It tightened his grip, determined to break it.

Bones cracked as the boy let out a scream. The troll grinned at the boy, delightful of his final victory, as a silver sword struck out of the collapsed building, piercing the body of the troll. A silver beam shot out of the trolls back, leaving a cleaving hole in the troll.

“I knew you would survive, brat.”

0