Chapter 87: Paternal fury (Volume 2 start)
298 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leonardo sat quietly inside the comfort of his office, he has been feeling a lot busier lately thanks in part to the Magician’s troupe’s first ever mission. While they may have solved a potentially large scale problem, their success brought about results that were troubling to begin with. Not only did they bring back several interesting items, Leonardo was also forced to deal with diplomatic problems with the perceived breach in contract.

He sighed as he remembered how many more meetings he will have to attend in a few days.“I really don’t like talking with those old guys. At least the pope is much more amiable this time around.” He thought to himself as a knock on his door can be heard. 

Without asking who it was he simply told them to enter.

“Come in!” He yelled and soon a young woman carrying a tablet came in immediately. It was his assistant named Mona Lisa. She too had been busy these past few days helping out the headmaster with dealing with the aftermath of the incident. 

She had been in charge of keeping an eye out for the students involved while also scheduling the talks that would have to take place, but her objective for her sudden visit isn’t for any of those. 

“Good day Headmaster.” She greeted Leonardo, her face all serious and blank. It was hard to know what she was thinking at any given moment. 

“Good day to you too dear.” Leonardo replied. “I take it you have something to report?” He asked as Mona Lisa nodded in response. 

“Firstly. The Lost item that the Magician’s troupe have retrieved has been sealed and cataloged. It was however placed in a level 1 seal since it has been agreed that this item could prove useful again if some wide scale phenomenon happens again .” She explained. 

“Ah yes, that’s good to hear.” Leonardo then closed his eyes and reminisced about the discussion over this loot that the Magician’s troupe procured.

Sadly, due to the very freak nature of the incident managing to catch every single one of them off guard, it was necessary that another party be involved in the gathering, the UN body that dealt with supernatural happenings. Called the UNSB (United nations supernatural bureau), their job was to try and hide the presence of weird phenomena through various conventional and oftentimes questionable methods. It is often times a very dirty and disturbing job, but at the end of the day someone had to do it. For knowledge of magic, about reality, will bring about certain destruction.

With their help, both the Church and Inanis Orbis were able to contain the spread of information from the public eye as they were able to set up perimeter in order to prevent new people from entering the small fishing town. After that it was just a matter of using a few spells and the newly acquired lost item to tie up all the loose threads and just like that, the incident was completely concealed and the people continue to live in bliss. 

It was not a pretty solution, but it had to be done.

Then Leonardo had to deal with the “contract breach” since the terms the Church and Inanis Orbis all agreed upon is that the Church will be the one to deal with the Lich themselves and thus take the lost item with them. But, there was another law that was agreed upon ever since this shaky alliance between the two sides was first created, During the 1st Council of New Nicaea. And it stated that whoever shall defeat or solve the crisis gets to keep whatever treasures it may bring. 

This could be considered on the level of a constitutional law, and directly conflicts with the previous arrangement. 

However, the it seems that Church themselves were rather impressed by how many lives were saved despite the odds and with the hope of further nurturing this alliance with the side of the mages, the pope intervened and decided to simply let Inanis Orbis have the book. 

He knew however, that this was probably a ploy to soften up the mages side for the upcoming 2nd Council of the Church and Mages. The Church might use this act of goodwill as a leverage for that fateful encounter. But that council is still a few months away, he currently doesn’t have the will power to stress over something so far into the future. He was also not very keen of the fact that the Magician's troupe seemed to have caught the eye of such a large body. While the spread of reputation is mostly seen as a good thing among mages, it isn't without its downsides.

Leonardo then snapped out of his musings and looked back at Mona Lisa who looked impatient as she started tapping her foot down at the floor. 

He let out a slight chuckle before speaking.

“Looking back, my audience with his Holiness turned out to be a fruitful one. Those damned Cardinals and High Deacon knights couldn’t do anything once he spoke.” Leonardo declared, only for Mona Lisa to reply in indifference. 

 “Can I continue now?” Mona Lisa asked. 

“Oh yeah. I’m sorry about that dear.” Leonardo replied 

“Now then, about the Blackened magic sta-” Mona Lisa’s words were suddenly interrupted by a loud knocking on the door, and behind it, the two could feel a massive swirl of mana violently churning. Leonardo let out a sigh as he knew exactly who it was.

“Yes come in.” Leonardo paused. “Jericho Clearsight.” 

The door then disintegrated in the blink of an eye as a tall man with dark hair entered Leonardo’s sight. Their eyes met and he saw a burning fury with the deep black eyes of his visitor. There was an awkward pause that Leonardo just decided to break. 

“Would you like some tea, Jericho? I’m surprised it took you this long to come he-” 

All of a sudden the walls of his office started to crack and the room began to shake like there was an earthquake. However, Mona Lisa and Leonardo remained calm and unaffected. Like they were already expecting this to happen. 

“Calm down a minute will you!” Leonardo declared. “All these years and you still let your temper get to you. It’s a good thing your son took after Claria and not you-”

“How about you shut your mouth before I try something even much worse!” Jericho said in a threatening tone. This was the fury of a father that learned that his son, his only child, went through a harrowing experience. The world of magic is a harsh reality, but a parents’ instinct is something that breaks the bounds of logic.

“Jericho, your son Sylvester took that mission himself. Even said some things like “Finishing an unfinished business.” Leonardo explained.

“And you would have me believe that you didn’t have a hand in his choice? You! You are a great artist capable of weaving grand plans that can span lifetimes. You would want me to think that this was all coincidental!?” Jericho yelled out in anger as the room started to fall apart even more. 

“I appreciate the compliment, but there was no grand plan this time. I simply went with the flow. I merely presented him with that option.” Leonardo explained. 

“FLOW? Did you risk my son’s life over a stupid guess? A hunch?!” Jericho’s reply was filled with fraternal fury as his rage continued to build up. 

“I didn’t risk your son’s life Jericho. He did that on his own free will!” Leonardo replied in an equally loud tone. 

“I even gave him the appropriate information. I gave him a rundown of all the risks, and most of all I equipped him with the ability to deal with it should the need arise. I even asked him if he was sure with his choice!” Leonardo paused and took a deep breath as he continued to look at the furious father in front of him. “He knew of a duty he had to uphold. He knows the burden of mages! In fact you should be proud that your son managed to save as many lives as he did while also keeping his entire team safe! In fact, the name of his organization "Magician's troupe" have begun spreading ever so slowly due to his success."

At this point Jericho’s rage began to peter out. He might not want to admit it, but the headmaster had a point. Seeing that Jericho’s expression was starting to soften, Leonardo too started to talk in a much calmer manner.“You chose to stay in this world. You chose to let him live with the knowledge of magic! This encounter, this incident, is the reality we all have to face.” 

“I understand how you feel, I truly do.” Leonardo said as Jericho’s twisted expression started to soften. “I know that Sylvester, your son, is someone you and Claria treat as a miracle. It is only natural to be protective of your only child. But you cannot coddle him forever.” 

However, those words seemed to have hit a different nerve inside Jericho’s head. With his eyes still furrowed, he looked the headmaster in the eye and said. “Miracle? We both know that there is no such thing as a miracle, Leonardo.” Jericho then looked at Leonardo with a bone chilling smile and an equally cold glare. “I’ll be taking my leave then. Claria is probably with Sylvester right now and I should go to see him. You are very lucky she isn't here with me.” He then turned around and left the room, the invisible destructive force that threatened to tear Leonardo's office also disappeared with his exit.

“Alright then, see you around Jericho! Please give my regards to the missus.” Leonardo replied as the door once disintegrated began to materialize. The cracks and great damage the office once suffered started to repair itself and soon the room was back to normal. Mona Lisa then glanced at Leonardo before speaking out her mind. 

“Did he just come here to vent his anger?” Mona Lisa asked. 

“Probably, but I don’t blame him. He’s just a worried parent after all.” Leonardo explained. “If I was in his shoes I would have done the same.” He said in a soft voice. Mona Lisa’s expression changed as she showed a very slight smile. 

“Thank you, father.” She said in a hush tone. 

“Now then! What were you saying before we were rudely interrupted by that doting father?” Leonardo suddenly exclaimed.

“Ah yes. I was telling you about our observations on the Blackened magic staff and that strange card given to Sylvester Clearsight by that entity named Masked Entropy.” These words caused Leonardo to show a curious and serious smile as he turned to face Mona Lisa. 

“Oh I see. Do tell me the details my dear.” He said in a voice full of expectation.

11