01 – Earth – The good ol’ David
333 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I rebooted the whole series. Namaste, and good luck!

01 – Earth – The good ol’ David

David was born on Earth on the 1st of January, 1990. It always seemed to him like the universe wanted to make his existence somewhat cheap, like when he had to insert his birthdate on the online websites and could always skip setting the day and the month. Even the year felt very lazy, as if the world itself did not care about it in the slightest.

He was, to his own eyes, the most ordinary man there was on Earth. To his eyes, he was a Jon Doe. He was not special; he was a nobody.

What he did not know, what he could never guess, was that he was the only person to ever be born on Earth with a superpower. He was a transmigrator.

As a superpower, it lacked a certain something that one would usually expect when reading about superpowers. It had almost zero utility when used as it was, and more importantly there was no way to know about it as it did not change its user’s life in the slightest.

It was only when a very well timed truck, bearing down fast on the location that David was occupying both in space and time at that very moment, that the superpower manifested itself for the first time.

CHOOSE: NEW BODY or OLD BODY

David looked at the letters, bold and black against a white background for a long time, seemingly forgetful about his own situation. Why was he crossing the road like that, without even looking? It was because of his child, he remembered, who had just been born at the hospital without him, his father. And it was all his bosses’ fault, those vipers, as they insisted in having their work meeting today of all days, and that he was an indispensable part of the team who could not be granted a leave even if his son was about to come to this world.

And now, because of them, he was in this endlessly white room. He could have asked himself what this room meant, why he was here or whether he was brought here by a god or by fate itself. He did not do any of that, though, because the idea of his existence being the dullest of all time was so deeply ingrained in his brain that he was pretty sure that all this was just a delusion.

A delusion created by his own mind to satisfy his fantasies, in the last moments of his life. A brain, he was told, was capable of perceiving the flow of time in many ways. When a person was under the right circumstances, both environmental and hormonal, time could dilate and seem to slow down as the perception of what was around distorted. Dreams usually happened in the span of a few seconds in real time, and yet felt so long and vivid while inside of them.

This could be one of those situations: something that was both a dream and a hallucination; a fight of flight adrenaline response and a delusion.

It was fine, though. He had lived a thoroughly unfulfilling life, beginning from the date of his birth and continuing onwards ever since.

He could afford a little fantasy for himself, right?

And, while he did not know the real nature of the message he was seeing, he made a decision. A decision that would change his existence forever but that, right now, felt little more than a click on a screen.

And, like when he died, he felt nothing as he reincarnated into a new body.

The whiteness began to fade, as the writing changed for one last time.

Selected: NEW BODY

>Choosing destination universe: random seed

>Choosing destination world: random seed

>Choosing destination race: HUMAN

1st reincarnation.

>Choosing upgrades based on: past experiences, destination world and race, personal desires. Applying variations using a random seed.

Process complete.

10