16 – Rusckan village – We’re safe now
60 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

16 – Rusckan village – We’re safe now

David paced around the flat area at the top of the stone mountain. His steps were heavy and slow, the battle left him utterly drained. He had won, though, and he was quite satisfied of his performance during the fight.

In the middle of the grassy field there was a small stone hut, built with magic out of stone that had been literally pulled out of the ground. What was interesting about the hut though, was the tall wooden structure right out of the door.

It looked like a totem. On the ground all around, a circle of stones was at the center of a larger and much more complex formation of lines and circles. The totem was its fulcrum, and on the top of the totem a large red spherical gem shone with internal light.

The crystal.

David approached the formation, stepping over the strange lines of the outermost circle with ease. As he got closer to the center, he felt the air get richer in magical power and a field that radiated from the crystal outwards in all directions.

By the time he reached the totem, the field was so strong that he was sure he would have felt it even without his magical powers, even back when he was just a normal man. In any case, the wooden pillar was three meters high and quite wide, the surface smooth and without features.

He didn’t have to climb though. He had trained one full day trying to move a rock with his mind and his new telekinetic ability, seemingly all for this moment. He concentrated on the large sphere, irregular and dotted with blue veins that pulsed with light and power.

It lifted itself from the totem and, under the control of his mind, came towards David until it was close enough to be pulled inside his inventory.

As soon as it was inside, the field disappeared and the circle darkened. The magic was gone, whatever its effects were no longer.

With that done, all he had to do was to climb down the pillar and make way to the village as fast as he could. They were counting on him, waiting for him. Even those who fell, fell protecting the lives of the innocent villagers, who did not deserve to die to the monsters and who were still in grave danger without anyone to protect them.

The words of the master, back when he told David the story of the Knuckles, played in his mind while he struggled down the pillar. No matter how tired he was, he was going back as fast as possible.

“There were four heroes in the White Knuckles, once. William was the fourth one, a true C ranker, the only one in our humble village. A true hero. He was a magic caster, the founder of the party and the centerpiece of out little community of backyard heroes, you know?” He chuckled under his beard. The words felt heavy and hollow.

“He died in battle, gave his life to defend out village against a monster that he no chances against. But his sacrifice was not in vain, because he vanquished the beast and saved the village that day. And since then, his spirit lived on in the other members of the party. They kept fighting and believing, hoping, finding courage and strength in the memory.

They changed, that day. They became the defenders of the village. Three people who never took themselves seriously, suddenly became the only people between the rest of the village and certain death. It put things into perspective, for them. And so they fought. Hard, time and time again. Won many battles.

In the end, though. They too fell. And now we are here, without hope, without redemption. They are not coming you know, the reinforcements. Nobody is answering my calls for help. We are utterly alone.”

David ran and ran. The forest was silent and still, not even a gust of wind disrupting the respectful silence of the place that seemed to reflect his inner thoughts. Without the mage of the tower, there was no illusion spell, nor were there any monsters that he encountered.

Soon, he arrived at the swamp. It looked brighter, the mist shallower and the sky less threatening. The waters were calm and silent, barely whispering things at him through his connection with the magic of the water and the earth. The air was free and light.

The creatures of the abyss were silent and asleep.

He crossed without issue. The plains too were easy to cross now, and the walls and plumes of dust of the village were soon visible in the horizon. The last stretch of land, the last run before he was there.

The gate was broken and the walls were crumbling, but there were no strange noises nor movements there. There had been no monster attacks while he was away, fortunately.

“He’s here!” A scout, perching on a nest high on what was left of the outer wall, yelled.

A large crowd gathered all around, and followed David all the way to the guild of heroes. The dwarf master, Griglir, was waiting just outside the door.

“You made it. You fucking made it!” He said, smiling. His eyes were still cold and focused, because like David he knew that there was still one thing to do.

“Here.” The crystal came out of the inventory, appearing in mid air and floating its way towards the bearded dwarf.

The crowd gasped at the sight of the round gem, slowly revolving in the air as it floated towards the guild master. “The crystal.” Someone muttered. “We’re safe now!” A woman embraced her children.

“We’re safe.” The master repeated after them, in a low voice. He sighed, then. “Let’s put this back where it belongs.”

He disappeared inside the guild, a secret tunnel leading somewhere swallowing him in shadows. David stumbled his way to his room, and collapsed onto the bed. A smile was on his face, and he slept a dreamless sleep. He had done it, he had saved the village.

There was no mission completed from the system yet, but he was confident that when he woke up, he would see it.

5