Chapter 2: The Plant of Hope
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Paolo and Juliana became teenager but they kept talking and having fun, even if they don't see each other, they're still having fun. They sometimes don't see each other because of helping out from work.

Sometimes Paolo goes out of the forest, the villagers were shocked when they saw Paolo going out of the forest.

"What are you doing there, kid?"

A farmer was shocked and asked Paolo.

"I live here, I spent my life here repelling some creatures who eat your crops."

Paolo said a lie to the farmer, hoping that he wasn't being recognized by the people who killed his parents.

"Hmm... No wonder why Bargon Fangs didn't appear for the last ten years. But aren't you in danger in that woods? Many people have been killed there by dangerous beasts... Or maybe..."

The farmer point his grass cutting sickle.

"-you're the killer!"

Paolo looked at the blade of the sickle remembering the soldiers who capture his parents, his eyes are frightened when his reflection appeared in the shining blade. The farmer looked at Paolo's face as Paolo looked at the blade.

"Hmm... By the look of your face, you can't even kill a single person."

The old man lower his sickle.

"Thank you, I thought you'll kill me."

"I change my mind. What brings you here anyway?"

"I was walking out of the forest and head to the village, hoping that I can take a job."

"A job? Well, I was looking for some helper her to. But I think this is hard."

"I'll take it, I can get used to it."

The old man gave the sickle to Paolo, Paolo almost fell from the ground just by carrying the sickle.

"What am I doing, Sir?"

"Cut the grass, all around the farm until it is all low, go talk to me when you're finished, I'm on the house. We should finish all the work before winter comes."

"Yes sir!"

The old man walks away and Paolo starts to work. He was having a hard time swing the sickle and avoiding his feet a to get cut.

"Here I-I-I-I! G-G-Gooo!!!"

"Huh, as I expected, he's just new, maybe I'll teach him some tricks."

Noon has come and Paolo isn't done yet. The old man walks back where Paolo was working.

"That's enough, finish it tomorrow."

"No, I can still work."

"Taking a rest is also a work for stronger tomorrow. Come on, get some rest."

"Well, goodbye, Sir."

"Yeah, be careful... Oh wait!"

"What?"

The old man gave a bag, it was bag with cooked meat and bread.

"You look skinny and hungry, here, help yourself, my wife made it, she was so worried that you might collapse while working, so she made something for you."

"Thanks, I'll be going now, bye."

Paolo walks back to the forest as the old man watched Paolo walking away.

"At first, I thought he was a forest spirit or a shape-shifter but my guess was wrong."

Paolo ran towards the wall, he heard that Juliana was saying "Hello? Paolo?"

"Juliana! I'm sorry I'm late."

"Where have you been?"

"Working."

"Working?"

"I found a job, I'll be working for now... For the next five years. But don't worry, I'll visit here very night."

"But don't push yourself, or you'll never get here."

"He he! Yeah... How's the plant going?"

"Doing great, it is growing taller. It will soon reach the top by the next two weeks."

"Two weeks? That's fast than I expected."

"Well, the sooner the better... But..."

"But what?"

"I have something to tell you."

"What is it?"

"...... No, nothing."

"Oh, okay."

"Well, I'll be heading home now, bye!"

"Bye and good night."

Juliana was gone and Paolo eat the food that the old man give and go to sleep. The next day, Paolo waters the plant and head to the farm where he work.

"Good morning boy, ready to finish your work?"

"Yes sir!"

The old man gave the sickle to Paolo and starts working. He finished it more early than yesterday. Paolo walks back to the house and call the old man sitting on the rocking chair.

"I'm finished."

"Well done boy! Here's your reward."

The old man gave 25 copper coins and 1 silver coin.

"Also... Sir, can you teach me how to use money?"

"Well of course, if you are new to it, Il I'll teach you everything I know. 1 gold coin is equal to 4 silver coins, and 1 silver coin is equal to 25 copper coins. But there's a rare coin that is hard to change and that is a platinum coin, a single platinum coin is equal to 1,000,000 gold coins, it is very rare that even the most trusting money changer can't touch it."

"That's a very weird thing, does anyone has some?"

"I heard that in the Light World, there's a kingdom, a family who's wealth is overwhelming. I don't think you can make it."

"I'll do my best to make some like that, even if it is only one piece."

"Why are you so desperate my boy?"

"It is for the future."

"Future? Do you ever have a lover or family?"

"I lost my family, but I still have a friend, and she's waiting for me."

"Well then..."

The old man tapped the shoulders of Paolo.

"let's do our best to have a platinum coin then?"

"Yes, we will do our best! We will sell products from natural and created. We will sell things and think of things that we can do to improve our income."

Paolo became a business man-like And starts giving advices and working hard. Juliana and Paolo didn't see each other in months, but they can feel that they are still close like one step away. Some night, they see each other, sometimes not, but they water the plant. The vines already reached the top of the wall, all is left is to bend it down.

The other day, the old man has nothing to do on the work, Paolo did all the word and everything was harvested and everything was take care, a they need to do is to feed the animals everyday.

The old man gave Paolo a break, it is his chance to talk with Juliana. Paolo ran onto the wall, he saw that the vines was showing from the top of the wall, he also heard that Juliana was humming on the other side.

"~Juliana?"

"Aren't you should be on work?"

"I've finished all the work."

"How's your money?"

"Pretty good. I have 106 gold pieces."

"106 gold pieces? In just a few months?"

"Yes, and soon, it'll be more and more. We're doing some products made out from the farm resources than selling them, and Damn! It really work."

"That's very great, you'll have a good life when you reached your hope."

"You mean our hope."

"Can you repeat it, I think I heard it wrong."

"Nothing... Juliana?"

"Yes?"

"I... I-"

A shout was heard from where Juliana's side of the wall saying "Juliana! Help me carry this baskets of fruits to your uncle's hut.

"Paolo I should be going now, bye."

"Sure, bye. Ughh."!

Paolo rest his body on the river by lying his whole body on it.

"Just as I expected."

Paolo heard an old man's voice behind the tree, he stands up from the river and looked around. The old man showed from behind of the tree, it was the old man from the farm.

"You have a friend, from the other side of the wall. Well, I don't mind at all."

"Why?"

"Back in my child years, I saw the arguing of the two Nations, the Drack Kingdom and the Lonian Kingdom, they argue because they think that they are conquering their opposite nation's territory, the argue keeps continuing for years, until I became a man on the age of like you, a wall appeared from nowhere, yesterday it was not there, until the other day, it appeared in just a blink of an eye. It separates the two nation. We tried to break it, but even the most strongest tool, weapon, element, magic, machines even monsters! We've tried everything, but it looks like it was made by the Elemental Guardian herself! But that was the past, no more war occurred, and this wall was forgotten thanks to the forest."

"But does it affect something from us?"

"Hmmm... Rivalry of the two nations before? I don't think there's a problem... Oh, tomorrow, I have a plan to make new products. Are you on it?"

"Of course, we want a platinum coin right? Let's do it."

"But, for now, take some rest, be ready, for the next moth, winter will strike."

"So, Christmas is coming then?"

"I'll be going now. I have to take some rest for tomorrow."

"Take care sir."

"I will."

The old man walks away leaving Paolo at the river. A voice of a guy suddenly speaks on the other side of the road.

"Well say, our precious flower princess really take care a flower, but I never know that she would also take care a boy like you."

"Who are you?"

Paolo asked the guy.

"I'm her big brother Jay."

"As in letter "J"?"

"No problem on the name, let's go straight to the point. It's no use, you will never be with her."

"And why is that?"

"At the age of 20, she will be married to a strong and powerful male Dryad."

"What do you mean!"

"Didn't Juliana told you? Oh! What a shy girl. She is the next blood generation who posses the Dryad Queen that our family have, but because I am a male I posses the Dryad King."

"But why don't you just take the role of the being the next king?"

"Our rules has it. The one that will sit on the throne is the youngest of all siblings and can't be changed, even if I want to, I can't. Only the Elemental Guardian has the right to change the next King or Queen. How about you? You don't even have a blood of a dryad."

"How can you tell?"

"The forest is our home, and the forest is one of out senses, I can see, feel, and hear you even if you're at the other side of the wall, didn't our lovely sister told you that?"

"So that's why she was so calm to me when we were older, is because she watch me."

"Well, I'll be going... Oh! I almost forgot, I'll never forgive whoever hurt or make my little sister sad, I will never forgive even if it cause me my life. See you around."

"Was that a threat? Then fine, I'll prove that I'm worth before the marriage arrangement."

The other day, Paolo worked hard, the old man didn't work for a week because he was sick due to hot weather. Paolo didn't mind the heat and keeps working and selling products in the middle of the sunny weather.

"Must keep working!"

He sweat and almost collapse when he was selling products around the village. He earned 20 gold everyday. He also take care the old man when he has a time. Paolo runs back on the wall shouting "Juliana!" but the one who replied was Jay.

"Oh welcome back Paolo? How's your day?"

"Where's Juliana!?"

"~I don't know!"

"Tell me!"

"Father said that she'll be gone for the next 2 years."

"And why is that?"

"He said that the guy will arrive."

"The guy who will marry Juliana!?... ... When will he arrive!?"

"I don't even know, but father estimated that he will arrived in the either of the two."

"So it is random... Also... Why are you soft to me? You're not the Jay I knew last weak."

"Well... I am taking care of the flower."

"What flower?"

"The flower that the two of you are taking care."

"Why such taking care of that flower, you don't even care about it."

"Yes, I don't care about it. But I care of what my little sister did. I can feel that she gave her full heart on this flower, watering it and avoiding the flower to dry and decay, so I'm doing my best to take care of it while he's gone. Even if the flowers are for the two of you and the two of you alone, I'll do my best not to include me."

"Why? I was about to thank you if you would like to join us. Come on, join us."

"With such a human with no powers, no magic, not even a blood of a royal family? I will never!"

"Hmm... Bye that attitude of yours, I think you envy your little sister."

"Why would I?"

"I can feel that you're a lonely person."

"Well that's for the better."

"For the better?"

"If I communicate with people I don't know and be friends with them, it'll drive my feelings and can't control it."

"But making friends means making a strong company. But I only choose a true friend, like you."

"Me? I don't even consider you as a friend."

"But I considered you as one."

"ENOUGH WITH THE TALKING!!! I should be going now."

"Bye my friend!"

Suddenly, Paolo feel like he was getting close with Jay, he was laughing with joy.

Winter stikes, the temperature gone very low. Paolo didn't work and stay beside the flower to make it warm.

"I FOWGOT THAH HA FWOWER O' HE AHER SI'E WAH EHOHE!!!" <I FOGOT THAT THE FLOWER ON THE OTHER SIDE WAS EXPOSED!!!> 

"No worries Paolo, sister's flower is fine, I cover it with vines, thanks to my Dryad blood."

Jay speaks to Paolo.

"Hengh ou." <Thankyou.>

"No problem."

"Brr!!!"

A cloth flew from the other side.

"Warm yourself, Juliana will be sad if a friend of her will die in the winter."

"Thanks."

Each day of winter, Paolo and Jay was taking care of the flower.

Where Juliana is, she was in a giant tree, she stands on an open hole of the tree and stand as she water a thick sheep cotton.

"Paolo, hope you're alright. Soon, you'll be here with us and be as one family, just hold one Paolo, I trust you."

Back where Paolo is. He felt a warm energy from inside of his chest.

"Juliana... I'll never give up for you."

The wolf from before appeared from the woods and warm Paolo's cold body.

"Looks like you're then only one that I can trust when it comes in heating body. He he!"

The wolf surround him as the wolf sleep.

"I see, so you're a she... Sorry for my rudeness."

After the month of winter, a new bloom of year will rise. Who's the person who will arrive and will take Juliana away from Paolo? Will the vine reach the other side before the year of the marriage come?

[-but strong trust...]

0