05.The Third Candidate
3.1k 12 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even before Calamities appeared, the seventy-two holy swords already existed in this world.

However, in that distant era, the swords were distributed all over the world and their existence was as a national treasure by the lucky nations that had only one of these holy swords.

When Calamities descended, it did not take long for the inhabitants of this world to discover that these fearsome creatures could only be damaged by these treasures.

Seventy-two weapons capable of facing the fearsome threat, because of this limited number, the different nations were forced to fight each other out of desperation, and go to great lengths everything it needs to get just one of those holy swords became as relatively common.

With chaos spreading across the world, the Calamities swept away entire nations, and several races became extinct.

Those nations that survived did so because they lay their hands on several of the holy swords.

Now, only three nations remain standing, the Kyelris Empire, the Oisfer Kingdom, and the Republic of Valonor. However, there are also smaller factions of lesser power that occupy small territories in the lands devastated by Calamities, such as the case of the free city of Garco.

As for the seventy-two holy swords, the Kyelris empire owns twelve of them, the kingdom of Oisfer has six, and the Republic of Valonor has nine of them. Besides, it is known that the free city of Garco has three holy swords and that another seven are in the hands of different minor factions.

Of the seventy-two holy swords, thirty-seven are in the hands of humanity, as for the other thirty-five, these are lost in the lands devastated by Calamities.

After recovering from the shock of knowing that the famous princess of Oisfer, Neris Oisferen would attend the academy despite having already been chosen by a holy sword, Inis turned her gaze to the other young lady.

Just by the particular hair color of this adorable young lady, Inis could already guess who it was.

"My name is Leto Lyndell, it is an honor to meet you, Inis-sempai"Leto made his usual respectful greeting.

Both Inis and her companions and even Neris had already seen these before. None of them could avoid blushing when they saw Leto leaning slightly and lifting the edge of his dress a little. Leto looked like a living porcelain doll.

"S-so you are the younger sister of Kristin-san"Inis came out of her daze thanks to the irritation that emerged in her mind because of Kristin Lyndell.

"Does Inis-sempai know Kristin-oneesama?"

Inis couldn't help but show a sour smile upon hearing that question"More than I'd like, she's the third candidate, someone I wish to defeat"

Leto was surprised to hear this, not about Inis's apparent rivalry towards her older sister, but to hear that her older sister was the third candidate. No doubt her mother must know something as impressive as this. Why didn't she tell him? Besides, Gabriel clear should know that too.

Although all the candidates would have the opportunity to enter the Goetia Tower for this there was an order that was determined by the position of each of them.

Being the first candidate meant being the first person to appear in front of the holy swords, which while not guaranteeing being selected by any of the swords, was a great advantage since the sword that could have selected the fifth candidate may have ended in the hands of the second candidate. It was for this reason so simple that the rivalry between the candidates was so intense, each of them wanted to be the first to enter the Goetia Tower.

With a complicated smile on his lips, Leto nodded at Inis's words.

If his older sister became a Holy Maiden, the Lyndell family's chains would be broken and he would no longer have to worry about becoming a concubine. Leto could not deny that he was proud, his older sister was the third candidate, however, given the complicated relationship that existed between them, he could not feel fully happy.

Normally Inis would have asked one of her classmates to guide Leto and Neris to the academy buildings while she remained in the place welcoming other students, however, given the origin of Neris, Inis guided them both personally.

therefore, unless they are formally engaged to some boy in the section of the boys' academy, no girl may go to that place or, on the contrary, bring a boy to the girl's section…”

As they progressed, Inis took advantage of the time to talk about the academy's rules. However, even though she could tell that neither Leto nor Neris seemed too interested in the current topic, Inis was forced to talk about it.

Leto had not the slightest interest in interacting with the male students, even if he was a boy, being unable to show it, those fools would try constantly woo him by thinking of him as what he seemed to be, a pretty girl.

As for Neris, she was not interested in the subject either, she had not come to Kyelris to look for a fiancé, much less to have an adventure of this type, Neris had her priorities and these were entirely aimed at the welfare of her kingdom.

The three girls soon arrived at a wide square surrounded by a beautiful garden, and with a huge fountain in the center. On the sides of that square stood two imposing buildings, Inis pointed to the one on the left as the bedroom, while the other building was the one for the classrooms. Across the plaza, the path continued to the top of the mountain, and this path was prohibited.

On the roof of classroom building was a notorious small tower on which a beautiful silver bell was held.

According to Inis, behind the school building was a special training area and a dueling arena. As for the dormitory building, behind this building was an amphitheater and a large garden of flowers and plants of great beauty.

"Do you have questions?"at the end of her explanation, Inis asked this question.

“For me, everything has become clear, I thank you for taking the time to explain everything to us, Inis-sempaiNeris made a slight bow full of elegance as thanks.

"I did what I was asked to do, there is no reason to thank me so politely, Neris-san"noble titles were prohibited within the grounds of the academy, regardless of their origin, the academy treated all its students equally, the holy swords did not take prestige or nobility into account when choosing their wielders, for this simple reason, Inis left behind the courtesy she was to show a princess.

Leto took a deep breath to speak about the doubt that had been burning his heart for the moment.

"Inis-sempai, d-does the uniform skirt have to be so short?"Leto's face inevitably flushed.

From the moment Leto saw the female academy uniform, that doubt had been haunting his mind and stirring his heart. The white plank skirt decorated with a pair of blue lines over its edge was charming and somewhat provocative, and from what Leto had seen so far, all the girls' skirts were short enough to be several inches above their knees.

Leto was quite used to wearing dresses, but he had never worn such short skirts, so from his point of view, this was unsettling for him.

Leto was sure that both his mother and Gabriel should know this issue, and in the same way, he was sure that neither of them mentioned this problem because it amused them to imagine him dealing with the situation.

After seeing Leto's flushed face, the hearts of Inis and Neris shook. Neither of them thought this pretty girl could become even prettier. As for the subject, neither of them could even consider mocking Leto's concern, they both felt inferior since Leto seemed as pure in his heart as his outward appearance showed.

Without a doubt being present in this situation, both Gabriel and Jilliana could not bear the laughter. Even though Leto seemed pure both inside and out, Jillian and Gabriel knew that when that charming girl exceeded his stress limit, he became a three-legged Calamity.

"I-If the skirt bothers you... there is a variant of uniform that uses shorts..."

Leto let out a slight sigh of relief upon hearing this from Inis. On his expression of deep relief caused the hearts of Neris and Inis to skip a little.

"C-come on, I'll take you to get your uniforms and see the rooms assigned to you..."

A short skirt was undoubtedly Leto's natural enemy, something as simple as a wind current could reveal his secret, therefore, knowing that he would not have to deal with such a problem, Leto showed a radiant smile that stunned all those girls who looked at him on his way to the dormitory building.

Guided by Inis, Leto, and Neris they entered the dormitory building. The place was practically a mansion, only disproportionately large with lots of rooms and luxurious communal bathrooms.

"Inis?"behind a desk, a middle-aged woman was slightly surprised to see Inis arrive. For what reason was the fourth candidate personally guiding two new students?

"Elina-san, they are Neris Oisfer and Leto Lyndell, two new students"

Elina who was the administrator of the dormitories for the first-grade students did not need more than that to understand, even if the titles of nobility were not allowed within the academy, it was impossible completely forget them if it was someone in a position as tall as a princess. This was the reason Inis had brought these two young ladies.

"Nice to meet you ladies, my name is Elina and I am in charge of managing the dormitories of the first-grade students"

Even if Elina's attention should be mostly focused on Neris, she could not avoid paying attention to Leto. That girl was just as cute as a doll.

After saying goodbye to Inis and thanking her for guiding them, Leto and Neris were left under the care of Elina, who took them to a special room to prepare their uniforms. Elina had so much experience in this that only a glance was enough to determine the clothing sizes that each girl occupied.

"E-Elina-san..."

Before Elina could leave the room to look for the uniforms, Leto stopped her while her face showed a charming blush that made Neris and Elina's hearts tremble.

"What's wrong, Leto-san?"

“C-could I request the variant of the shorts uniform? I-I don't feel very comfortable in short skirts…—Leto's small body trembled a little while his face was dyed red.

"O-of course, Leto-san"

Elina had been working at the academy for over twenty years, however, it was the first time that she experienced the desire to hug one apprentice to maidens, Leto Lyndell was adorable not only in appearance but also in her demeanor.

54