21 – Negotiations and fortune-telling.
409 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

21 - Negotiations and fortune-telling.

 

*thump* Eve picked herself off the floor having fallen out of her chair. Surprisingly despite having fallen asleep She somehow managed to keep her hood on her head. Eve could hardly understand why the 2 would be talking about crop conditions, livestock, and just about every other dang topic they can think of... Is not this supposed to be a strategy meeting? Were the 2 trying to see who can bore the other the best to see if they can get the upper hand in the negotiations for aiding Ganna? Why are people so roundabout on what they want to talk about? Why cant people just say what they need right away... Eve was never good with small talk.

Rory: "Please forgive Eve... she is awfully worn out from the long carriage ride and it seems she was in more dire need of sleep then I first thought."

Eve: "..."

Lord Buvelle: "Ah yes! quite understandable Lord Ingara. Shall I call a servant to escort her to a room where she could rest?"

Rory held back a grimace but could find no reason to refute the man.

(Rory: "She shouldn't cause too much chaos on her own right?")

Eve: "Ah... Actually, how about I just get some tea? I am sure that would be enough to keep away sleep for the moment."

Lord Buvelle: "But of course! Kerth, Please have our new maid bring the tea."

Kerth: "Are you quite certain my Lord? It still has not been a month since her training began."

The Butler named Kerth politely questions his lord's request but his Lord rebukes him.

Lord Buvelle: "Nonsense Kerth, this is hardly a formal meeting. I am sure Lord Ingara would forgive any blunder's she may cause on the count of our old friendship! besides, she need not make the tea just deliver it."

Kerth affirms his lord's command and heads out of the room. After a few dull minutes of hearing about some nobleman's most recent faux pas, Eve noticed the butler's presence as he returned with another person. Eve shifted uncomfortably at the sight of the maid, whose hands and feet were bound in iron chains. The chains were loose enough to not restrict movement but were definitely uncomfortable. The maid herself was a beautiful young Wolfkin girl with silver hair who shook nervously at the sound of Lord Buvelle's or Kerth's voices. Her shaking was barely noticeable to anyone other than Eve.

Realizing his soon to be wife's discomfort Rory took the initiative to bring up the maid while keeping his Pokerface on his feelings about the issue.

Rory: "Lord Buvelle... I never took you for a man to take a slave as a servant."

(Rory: "Would I of thought this was okay a few weeks ago... I had thought little of the issue before, but after I heard how that guard spoke of Eve, who saved the lives of many people in my city...")

Lord Buvelle: "You mean my new maid Whitey! While it is true it would be better to have a human servant, I found myself drawn to the unique hair color of Whitey. I am sure with Kerth's training she will master the basics soon and will reach a satisfactory level as a maid."

Eve: "I doubt anyone could do a satisfactory job with those chains in the way..."

Eve had muttered barely audible, which was only picked up by Rory.

Rory: "It seems my wife is curious about as to why the chains are necessary."

Lord Buvelle: "Of course! Well, you see Lady Ingara, Wolfkin tribe are very vicious marauders known to slaughter villages in the north. There is hardly anyone who has not suffered at the hands of these savages! From time to time we are able to catch a few of these vicious mutts. Most of the slaves will stay in the north where they are used for excess help with the mines or farms as they are truly too vicious to be kept around more civilized places without close watch!"

Eve took a deep breath calming her anger she kept hidden under her hood... Eve never liked to be ruled by her anger. The man's words are built on his ignorance instead of an actual hate for beastkin. But could this dainty white-haired wolf girl be a cold-blooded murderer? Eve decided that she didn't have enough information... after all if she could throw around grown men with her aura... could someone else do it too? There was a chance...

(Eve: "I need some way to find out... maybe if I checked her memories...")

Eve grimaced to herself. She had been checking memories too often lately when she came across a problem that she couldn't solve easily... she would have to be careful about becoming too reliant on checking memories, especially for her friends... they deserve a bit of privacy after all. but for now, she should be fine this once, right? But... how can she check? she needs to use direct touch and taking off the gloves and revealing her furred hands was no good. Fortunately, Lord Buvelle thought nothing of her hood so far and saw her wearing it as "Lord Ingara wants to hide his beautiful wife from the world so no one would not steal her from him!" While pondering how to handle direct touch Eve had a sudden inspiration.

Eve: "Lord Buvelle... I have a bit of skill with fortune-telling. May I read this maid's fortune?"

Lord Buvelle: "Hmm... Not sure why you would want to see the Mutt's fortune, however it should prove quite a bit of a distraction from boredom. You may go ahead Lady Ingara."

Kerth directed the maid to set the tea down on the table and sit down across from Eve with her hands on the table. It took a bit of guidance as the girl clearly did not know the language everyone was speaking. After a bit of confusion, the maid rested her hands into Eve's palms. Eve proceeded to concentrate for a minute with her eyes closed then kissed the maid on the forehead, startling the maid who after a moment began to relax a bit, still uncertain of the situation. It seemed Eve needed direct physical contact and came to the conclusion that a kiss to the forehead would work just fine.

It seemed that she was from a tribe of white wolfkin who were ostracised from the main wolfkin clans because they did not want to raid and kill human villages. Her name is Reir and she is the daughter of the patriarch who got lost while learning to hunt when they ran into a group of wolfkin from another tribe. After a few days lost in the woods, she stumbled on a human village and was caught while attempting to sneak some food.

When this was all finished, the girl caught a glimpse at Eve's eyes and just stared at how mystical and beautiful they seemed, leading her to blush as she thought of the kiss to her forehead earlier.

Lord Buvelle: "How is it Lady Ingara? Did you see anything interesting?"

Eve: "Indeed! It seems that she may be able to keep Lord Buvelle from an accident later this week! Well... that is all tentative on her condition at the time, and if she can move well enough. With all these restrictions on her now... it seems unlikely."

Lord Buvelle: "An accident? hmm..."

Eve: "I would take it a bit more serious Lord Buvelle, After all my predictions usually come true... this one time there were these 4 sisters... well, let's say it was not good... I would prefer not to talk about it."

Lord Buvelle: "I see! hmm, I will look into this. What do you think Lord Ingara, Can I trust your wife on this?"

Rory: "If my wife says you may be in an accident if the maid is not in good condition to prevent it, It is probably true..."

Rory could see his kitten's words for the threat it was...

14