Not Cute
434 6 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Wait a second, T-teru where are you going?” He asked her, as she attempted to leave this train cabin for another. That was certainly the right girl, but why was she acting like she didn’t know him.

“Teru?” She responded. “Don’t know who you’re talking about. Think you got the wrong girl.” From her voice, he could tell that it was her. Even if she was attempting to mask how she sounded, he knew the girl well enough to notice.

“Come on.” He stopped her by grabbing the girl by the arm. “What type of dumb joke is this?’

“Fine, you got me.” She gave up and sat back down in her seat. Kouji sat besides her as they chatted alone in this train car. “Figures you had to show up.”

“I thought you liked me.” Of all times to run into each other, he would’ve figured that this was a good time.

“It’s not you.” She clarified. Instead, the problem was that since they ran into each other, she wouldn’t be able to get away with her plan on not attending the ball. “Except, now that you’re here, I can’t just let you get in trouble if you have to lie for me.”

“Not attend the ball?” He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. This is supposed to be one the biggest event at the school. As well as something that they’re graded on, which is in his best interest to ensure all the girls passed with flying colors. “But, you’d get in a lot of trouble if they found out you skipped on purpose.”

“I don’t care.” She responded by crossing her arms and facing away from him. “It’s just… Well, it’s too embarrassing for me to go.”

“I don’t understand.” He couldn’t tell if there was anything wrong with her outfit. Her red dress, which went all the way down to her calves, was spotless. There were no tears on it either, since it seemed to be brand-new. An almond scarf wrapped around her neck, which perfectly complimented the dress. This was also the first time he ever saw her hair done up properly, instead of the usual mess that hung wherever it wanted to be. “You look fine to me.”

“Fine?” She was shocked to hear his mild reaction. “Come on, look at me. I look ridiculous. Someone like me shouldn’t be wearing any of this.” Teru told him that this wasn’t her. Everyone at school knew who she was, what she was like. All an outfit like this did was serve to remind her that she’s not a cute girl.

Kouji could see where she was coming from. He himself knew what it feels like to be wearing something that he generally wasn’t. That was him right now. Most people are aware that money used to be tight on him. Even this outfit kind of showed it, since it was a bargain deal.

“So that’s why I wanted to skip out.” She continued. “I couldn’t handle everyone watching me, so there. Are you happy?” Teru was upset that he had to hear this coming from her. It’s one thing for her not to look cute, but it’s another to seem so lame as well. Especially in front of him. “But since you’re here, now I have to go.”

“I think that’s a good thing.” He placed a hand onto her thigh. “Because, I want to enjoy the ball with you.”

“Even when I’m like this?” She turned back to look at him, leaving a bit of her self open.

“You’re wrong if you think you’re not cute. Actually, I think you look real... beautiful.” It wasn’t easy to get the words out, since he already messed up a bit with Isako. His second attempt yielded much better results.

“Come on.” Her heart raced from hearing his statement. However, a part of her didn’t want to believe him. It felt as though he may just be saying it to make her feel better. “You don’t have to lie to me.” A funny thing about her rebuttal, is that she knew for a fact that he wasn’t lying. Nothing about him seemed to be disingenuous. “A tomboy like me can’t compare to someone like Himawari, or even Anastasia.”

“I’m being completely honest.” He leaned into her, being alone allowed him to feel a bit more bold in their intimacy. “Whether you’re a tomboy, or all dressed up like this, I think you’re one of the most beautiful girls I’ve ever met.” Kouji took advantage of the small space between them from his move. She had no chance to react, as he stole a kiss from her.

Their lips met, as she returned her own feelings to him. Normally, she would never dream of such an act in a public place. Perhaps it was because they were alone here, or perhaps it was due to the girl getting swept up in the moment. Because right now, it felt as if there was no one else on the planet with him.

Soon, Kouji slowly separated from her. He paused, holding up her chin with just a finger and his thumb, mere centimeters from her face. Their eyes locked onto each other, as he whispered. “Don’t ever say you’re not cute.” He said. “And if you do, I’ll be there to remind you how gorgeous you really are.”

Neither of them moved from their spots, as they simply got lost in each other. Teru felt herself feeling something she never thought she’d feel in her life. Somehow, a boy made her feel like a girl. Something that seemed to be impossible in her mind.

“Th-thank you.” Was all she could muster up as he leaned back into his seat. they were nearing their destination, and surely they wouldn’t have anymore privacy. A shame for her, as her desire to run away was now replaced with one that wanted more of him. The train stopped, and the two got off to walk to the school.

As they approached, there were quite a crowd of students gathering in the front courtyard. The event was to begin soon. A fact that filled them both with anxiety of what was to come.

“I wonder where the others are.” He said, as they got lined up. Standing next to her, he very much badly wanted to hold the girl’s hand. With the way they were dressed, it just seemed so right. Yet, he couldn’t, since that would give them away.

“You’ll just have to find them when you get inside.” He turned a puzzling look at her, since those words spelled out what was going to happen. “I wish we could stay together the whole night, but people will get the wrong idea if you hang out with us too much.” Indeed, if he were to spend the whole night with her, or any one of the girls, then people would eventually find out the truth. Considering the event going on, that was not what any of them wanted. “Not even Yuma, or Anastasia.”

“So, when we get inside, we’ll have to part ways?” She nodded in response to his question. Unfortunate, but it was for the best.

“Hello everyone.” Isako took a microphone and greeted the girls, plus Kouji. The crowd grew silent to hear what she had to say. “As you all know, our wonderful Winter ball is about to begin.” She mainly wanted to remind everyone what this was all about. To show their refinement as young ladies, or young gentlemen. As well as showcase their ability to handle important social situations.

Kouji’s heart began to sink as he heard her explain everything. It was one thing that this was a major formal event. Kind of like a school dance, where you want to summon the courage to ask that one girl out. However, he was realizing another detail that meant a lot considering his position. This was an important grade for the girls, and his enrollment hinged on their success.

“And with that.” Isako closed out her speech. “I welcome everyone to join us inside for our annual Winter ball.”

19