Chapters 68 to 71
1.4k 6 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 68

“Goodnight, Master.” Old Peng bowed respectfully at his good owner.

They had just finished their dinner and although his master only took a few bites to taste each of the dishes on the table, Old Peng was not alarmed at all.

He had been used to Lu Chen’s eating habits already and there were even times when his good master had no appetite whatsoever and would continue to drown himself in the familiar company of insobriety.

Old Peng had lost count how many times he and Lu Chen had drunk themselves to sleep. It would have been better if they had more company before but old Lu Chen was as aloof as they come.

He never really had any close relationships ever since that fateful day. In the end, Old Peng was perhaps the only friend that Lu Chen had won in this lifetime.

‘But that’s all going to change from now on.’ Old Peng thought and a smile could be seen hanging easily on his wrinkled timeworn face.

Lu Fang was a testament that his master could change for the good and the reunion earlier today was especially promising to better days ahead.

“Hmmm... Thank you for your service today, Lai Peng. This is only the beginning. You and I will move to places more awesome than this mere Lu Clan. To where we will end, I don’t know.

But one thing is for sure, you will never be left behind, my good devoted servant. What heights I will see, you shall also witness in full. A beautiful horizon awaits us, Lai Peng.

Are you willing to take on the journey with me?” Clark asked lightly.

“It is my pleasure to serve you, Master Lu. And as long as I still breathe, there shall only be one master that I, Lai Peng, shall ever bow to.” Old Peng responded and kowtowed deeply to show his allegiance.

Even without this deliberate display of humility, Clark would absolutely not doubt the words of his slave.

He has seen the steadfast character of Lai Peng in which time has not been able to diminish at all even after several decades of constant tests and tribulations.

Together, they had withstood the mockery of their neighbors and even outlived a few select scoundrels who took delight in Lu Chen’s downfall.

Alas, Clark could really not find any flaw in this old man’s temperament. Old Peng was perhaps the only good thing that ever happened to Lu Chen in his lifetime.

“I’m happy to hear that, Lai Peng.” Clark put a tender hand on Old Peng’s shoulder and helped the faithful slave up.

No words needed to be said as the two were already used to each other’s company for many years.

Both retired to rest their tired bones in the comforts of their own beds but such luxury was not anymore available for our good protagonist.

“THUD!” the archaic double doors closed which concluded Clark’s busy schedule. But unbeknownst to all, his endless vigil has only just begun.

Chapter 69

“Ahhhh... I got back from my own engagement feast and had dinner with Lai Peng after.”

“SIGH!”

“I could not take one bite of food even if i wanted to.” Clark rubbed his belly and then jumped on the heavenly surface of his bed. It felt incredibly amazing!

He rolled and stretched there for a minute or two before he got right on to business once again.

“Show me my status, Nancy.”

“Affirmative, host.”

“BOINK!”

Host: Clark Colter

Power: 551

Experience: 78,193/600,000

Health: 800/800

Health Regen: 6/s

Mana: 63/800

Mana Regen: 3/s

Level: 15

Class: Necromancer

System Shop

Shop Points: None

Class Skills

Skill Points: 5

Influence

‘Nice! I leveled up four times already and the time between each level up keeps getting shorter and shorter.’

‘I should save my skill points for later because the next tier abilities at level 20 is very much op than its predecessors.’ Clark smiled as he checked on the greyed out portions in his talent trees.

‘I will get my hands on them soon enough. A few hours at the most.’ Clark’s smile grew even wider with anticipation.

‘Ohhh... there’s a new feature. Influence, huh?’ He noticed that there was another option added to the list. His curiosity got the best of him and thus, Clark clicked to find more about this recent change.

* * *

Influence

Created Skeletons: 534

Corpse Resurrected: 1

Territories: None

* * *

“I see. Easy and direct to the point. I love it!” Clark nodded after he realized what the contents were inside the new feature given by the system.

“Show me the status for my Nimble Kun Peng, Nancy.”

“BOINK!”

* * *

Nimble Kun Peng

Power: 275 pts

Special Ability: can burst up to 2 times its maximum speed. (10 second duration, can be upgraded)

Mana Cost: 100

Special Ability Cooldown: 30 seconds

* * *

“Two hundred seventy five points of power. That’s basically half of my own.” Clark observed.

“Do my skeletons always take half of my strength as a basis for their points in power, Nancy?” he queried after this obvious discovery.

“Affirmative, host. That is the initial power limit for the Create Skeleton Skill. Should you upgrade that ability, it will also proportionately rise in accordance to your present raw power.

Additional benefits of passive auras and buffs are not included in the calculation of your summons’ final power data.” Nancy responded.

“It’s unfortunate but I can understand the limitation for such.” Clark muttered. It did not bother him at all since he has got so many cheats in his possession already.

What was most important was how he could utilize each advantage to its fullest.

Clark stayed within the Nimble Kun Peng interface and quickly found out that same as he did, his summons also possessed 3 skill trees for him to upgrade.

Clark checked some more and realized that the system has already learned the corresponding skills that could enable faster farm of exp that would ultimately add to his favor in the end.

Chapter 70

‘Nancy is really so capable in these kinds of things. I’m so lucky!’ Clark approved with a pleased grin.

“Can I change my skeletons’ skills at will, Nancy?”

Although Clark had a hunch that this was most probably the case but it was still good to confirm his guesses rather than assume and had this minor detail bite him in the ass later on.

That would indeed be a funny outcome for such a stickler for details like our bored gamer.

“Yes, you can, host. You could even equip your troops with armors and weapons.” Nancy added some extra information at the end which garnered Clark’s wise praises as consequence also.

“Thank you for the nice tip, Nancy!”

“You are indeed the best system in this entire universe!”

“Nothing and no one can surpass your wit and intelligence!”

“And if there be someone who would claim otherwise, I would not hesitate to fight tooth and nail in order to prove that you are the only one worthy to be called as the unmatched system in all of creation!”

Clark showered Nancy with a few of his shameless lines before revealing his true intentions.

“Please continue on giving me some useful pointers, Nancy.”

“Affirmative, host. Hint feature is still currently green and running in the system settings.” Nancy replied in good spirit.

“That’s all i could ask for, Nancy. Thank you.” Clark concluded and began thinking of things that he might have missed on this eventful day.

And it did take him long to find at least the first of his immediate concerns.

“What’s the maximum level can I upgrade any skills in my arsenal, Nancy?” Clark asked. He wanted to know so that he could plan ahead of time.

He was of course expecting an answer close to 10 upgrades or so because of his current level cap.

If that were the case, he could always save 10 skill points to ensure that when he reached level 100, he could fortunately max at least one skill to give him an absolute benefit upon gaining that level.

Alas, Nancy’s answer was totally unexpected.

“There is no maximum attainable level in skill upgrades, host. This fact also applies to the character levels you can reach in the future.” Nancy replied cheerfully.

“What the f...!!!” Clark could not almost believe his ears. He thought that he may have misheard the system’s response and so he tried to ask again.

“There is no maximum attainable level in skill upgrades, host. This fact also applies to the character levels you can reach in the future.” The answer that Nancy gave did not change at all.

“How come?” Clark was shocked. If that were true, then wouldn’t he be the strongest man in the world if he could still gain strength even after the 10th stage of True Immortal Realm.

The road ahead was simply limitless for him!

“This should not come as a surprise at all, host. The god that created me is omnipotent and divine.

It is no wonder why he could give these precious benefits to you without cost or any additional constrictions whatsoever.”

Nancy was ecstatic in delivering some useful bits of information about her original maker.

Chapter 71

‘Really?’

Clark remained in doubt. He would have wanted to ask if this same god in Nancy’s lips was the one who sent truck-kun over his head in the first place so that he could arrive on time in this xianxia world.

After all, truck-kun don’t just go on flying to an otaku’s house and drop on their heads without reason or cause.

Alas, Clark was still cautious enough to not pry too deeply on something that he was currently helpless to stand against.

‘If I antagonize that god, deity, divine, or whatever it was that orchestrated my demise and transmigration afterwards, wouldn’t I cry blood, tears, and sweat if that same being decided to take my system away from me on just a mere whim?’

‘No reason to offend someone who I don't know anything about and too ignorant to conceive at the moment.’

Clark decided to shut his mouth up on that topic but that did not mean that he could not think of some more questions other than those risky ones.

“I’m really grateful for the god that has given me a second chance at life, Nancy. Especially since i am nothing but a speck of dust in his eyes, hmmm... perhaps even less than that.

But... am i not really obligated to do anything for him? Like conquer some cities, sects, or even continents to gather the power of faith from all those people?

If it is within my power, I would most willingly do anything to repay this huge favor!” Clark chose his words carefully to peer gently behind the motives of the system and its inventor.

“You don’t have to worry yourself about that, host... because in truth, you are already doing what is expected of you.”

Nancy's easy smile was palpable in her words but unto Clark’s ears, it sounded no less than an astronomical explosion. He laid there stunned as he looked on the ceiling for a few dumb minutes.

Clark recovered eventually and when he did, an inner debate ensued in a suffocating monologue.

‘Don’t!’

‘Don’t do it!’

‘Don’t ask!’

‘Just let it be!’

‘You’ll regret it if you do!’

‘But it’s better to know even if it hurts rather than to remain blind, deaf, and dumb forever!’ a positive echo resounded in the murk of negativity inside Clark’s mind.

‘That’s all good and dandy but can you really handle the truth?’ asked the voice of a devil’s advocate.

‘FUCK ME! I’M NOT A PUSSY AND NEVER WILL I BECOME ONE!’ resisted another.

‘Oh… Really? Then ask the question and be enlightened. My “I told you so” is ready and waiting to be delivered in style.’ taunted another dark whisper within the bored gamer’s mind.

‘Well, shit!’ The struggle lasted for a few minutes before a decision was finally made.

“How? Can you please explain that, Nancy.” Alas, Clark wanted to know the truth and would therefore lose the bliss of innocence in its aftermath.

25